• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Booties

Banned
Naw, I was just playing Dance Central. I might get on again later but I think GF wants to spend time with me for explainable reasons.

EDIT: gonna play a couple right now actually.

Yeah I'm done for the night. Dark Souls 2 until she come home. Some other time.

belushy

Banned
That is a weird spartan laser (from a 343 artist)

splaser_01.jpg

Purdy yet ugly at the same time.

edit: Also sorry if this is old, but just saw this on the Halo Reddit.

Frank O'Conner is not amused.

Will we ever get a Halo game focusing on any of the EU? There's so much that happens outside the games.

Also Halo 2 Anni needs to include some Halo: First Strike in it. New content please.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!

Curious. Do you plan on only doing Halo 4? I mean, over some things like Halo Reach or whatever.

Or even one over the whole franchise. Like game to game depending on the various sounds.

Thanks :) well i can do halo 1 through 4 i tell my fans what they wanna see then they tell me to keep making halo 4 gun syncs :) but if anyone asks me to make a halo 2 or 3 i can :) yeah each one has different sounds like i made a halo reach one, but it didn't come out good. Maybe i'll try it again i got a little better :)

Very cool.

This one is still my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQLC4SPGnU

Thank you :D yeah that one came out awesome :) i'm trying my best to get big that way 343 can send me halo 5 early lol :p i wish

AlStrong

Random17

Will we ever get a Halo game focusing on any of the EU? There's so much that happens outside the games.

Also Halo 2 Anni needs to include some Halo: First Strike in it. New content please.

Halo 4 was heavily based on EU concepts, with the notable exception of the Dawn and MC/Cortana.

Everything from the Ur-Didact to the Covenant remnant to the Infinity were all recent EU inventions. Some things were briefly mentioned in the Halo 3 terminals, but otherwise 99% of our knowledge comes from Halo Evolutions, the Kilo-5 trilogy and the Greg Bear trilogy.

Halo 4 is essentially focusing on Halo's EU. However, I think that the campaign could have been longer, and should have spent more time explaining the EU concepts to the average Halo fan. I think that 343i will make an effort to improve this in Halo 5, as this was a common and valid criticism.

Bit off topic but when has that stopped us? (Spiders, Jurassic Park etc.)

Most of you probably have seen it already on the thread in gaming side, but wow,
that's a lot of money that was pumped into the cancelled Halo MMO.
I knew about it's existence and cancellation but didn't know $90,000,000 was spent and nothing came from it.

Some out there weapon designs in the above video also.

https://web.archive.org/web/2011030...ers.com/News/21928/cancelled-halo-mmo-details

So what happened to the Halo MMO? "There was a bit of a changing of the guard at Microsoft at this time," explains Monk. "Microsoft, from its gaming division, was really changing directions. They were looking really hard at the Nintendo Wii and they were really excited by the numbers that the Wii was turning. This was about the time that Microsoft decided that its Xbox platform and XBLA really needed to go more in the direction of appealing to a more casual, broader audience."

Casuals and Kinect killed Halo MMO confirmed.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 was heavily based on EU concepts, with the notable exception of the Dawn and MC/Cortana.

Everything from the Ur-Didact to the Covenant remnant to the Infinity were all recent EU inventions. Some things were briefly mentioned in the Halo 3 terminals, but otherwise 99% of our knowledge comes from Halo Evolutions, the Kilo-5 trilogy and the Greg Bear trilogy.

Halo 4 is essentially focusing on Halo's EU. However, I think that the campaign could have been longer, and should have spent more time explaining the EU concepts to the average Halo fan. I think that 343i will make an effort to improve this in Halo 5, as this was a common and valid criticism.
Or perhaps it is the other way around. They make these concepts. introduce a bunch of them in the books, and then in the game.
To me, it looks like 343i is keeping tighter rein over various Halo things, trying to fit them together better than before (no comment on retcons like Dawn's looks).

Vico

God damn that Spartan Laser is ugly. I'll save my "DO THEY HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING" comment for official confirmation. But still. Ew

Okay, first person view is alright... but side on?

If there's a Spartan Laser in Halo 2's campaign I will cry.

Looks fine to me (too big in first person, maybe).
It probably doesn't mean anything at all, though.

Fuchsdh

God damn that Spartan Laser is ugly. I'll save my "DO THEY HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING" comment for official confirmation. But still. Ew

Okay, first person view is alright... but side on?

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

If there's a Spartan Laser in Halo 2's campaign I will cry.

Looks fine to me--it's supposed to be a somewhat incomprehensible human gun o' doom. But that design definitely looks more like a "prototype" as someone earlier said rather than a refinement of the current design.

Also, speaking of sounds, it's kind of amazing that you can go back and almost every game was an improvement in the sound effects department. H1 > H2 the plasma weapons sounded *much* better. I loved the meatiness of the PR especially when dual-weilded. Then a lot of sounds got toned down in H3 (though H3 SMG > H2 SMG), brought up in Reach (PP and Spiker benefited the most I think) and then again in 4, which I think has the overall best sound, even though there are ones I would definitely change (I love the crack of the Sniper Rifle, but miss the old sound... and the FRG's sound is distinctive, but "dropping a sewer grate" isn't the best 'distinctive' there could be.)

EDIT: Also, anyone know what the display is rendering? Doesn't look like any Halo map that I can tell...

Woorloog

Banned
U4Y3On6.png

Also said he was told pretty much everything ntkrnl posted is true.

If true, very interesting. Risky, of course, but interesting.
I really hope MS has something interesting for the Xbone, other than Halo though. Halo alone doesn't sell me Xbone.

I do wonder if it is actually open world, or if it is more like hubworld/map and you choose levels non-linearly (something akin to ODST).
However, i don't think a true openworld would suit a game like Halo, not unless the world is really huge (much larger than Skyrim, which isn't that big at 16 square kilometers). Still not going to say no for experimenting, for all my dislike of Reach, i did like how Bungie did try some new things.

Woorloog

Banned
An odst style hub world would be pretty awesome, I don't know if I'd want it to be "totally open world" though.

I can imagine something like a city on the Ark (perhaps with a UNCS base) (because the place in the Halo Xbox One trailer looks a bit like the Ark) where you can do various things, and then choose a portal or some such to activate a mission elsewhere.

Guy tweets E3 2004 Halo 2 Multiplayer Demo video to Phil Spencer and this happens:

Jeepers, I can't wait for E3. Hopefully I score an invite to the MS press conference, it was really fun being in the crowd last year when everyone realized the cloaked figure was Master Chief.

I wonder if we'll see Halo on the show floor as well. Last year's Spartan Assault booth was nice just because it had friendly 343 people staffing it, but the game itself wasn't super exciting.

Computer

I hope they try something new with the Halo campaign such as open world. We have plenty of Halo games that are just level one level two so on. I want hub cities all that. Be inventive be groundbreaking.

A Metroid Prime Halo game could be legit if they nail the exploration and details of what makes Metroid great. For example, something like AotC where you needed Banshees to access new areas instead of a weapon/ability upgrade like in Metroid.

I'd like for them to do something drastic for the Campaign.
Bass-y CE,
higher pitch w/ bass undertone Reach
Either of these would be fine by me.
Halo 4 was supposed to be like this too so yeah I dont buy it.
To be fair, 343's situation was much different throughout Halo 4's development than now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Or perhaps it is the other way around. They make these concepts. introduce a bunch of them in the books, and then in the game.
To me, it looks like 343i is keeping tighter rein over various Halo things, trying to fit them together better than before (no comment on retcons like Dawn's looks).

Visual "rectons" are a necessary evil that will continue as long as tech keeps getting better. Some are simple enough - a new weapon variant gets a new designation and a visual overhaul, some are fidelity-based - we can create objectively more complex objects. Some are a combination of that and design imperatives - Chief's armor being a notable one - it has changed in every single game, in some ways just to approach dated looking industrial designs that were exacerbated by early low tech. Sometimes that also means a Mjolnir variant upgrade.

Those changes are sometimes the easiest and sometimes the hardest to communicate or justify.

Story is tougher - there are spackle-y things that are necessary to patch together small canon issues (PoA orbital position in Halo Reach, for example) - and game-specific issues that were tongue in cheek, but need to be firmed up - Sgt. Johnson dying in Halo CE, for example.

It's an ongoing process, but certainly I think really old school fans of stuff like the early Nylund novels, and deep "never before exposed to the public but known about in Halo nerd circles) will genuinely embrace some of the stuff we have planned for the future.

Why is he talking about H5 while H2A is supposedly the main focus this year?

I can confirm he is more or less talking out of his ass, or by proxy talking out of his "source's." I am not confirming or denying anything specific, just confirming that he has no special insight or information.

Fuchsdh

Visual "rectons" are a necessary evil that will continue as long as tech keeps getting better. Some are simple enough - a new weapon variant gets a new designation and a visual overhaul, some are fidelity-based - we can create objectively more complex objects. Some are a combination of that and design imperatives - Chief's armor being a notable one - it has changed in every single game, in some ways just to approach dated looking industrial designs that were exacerbated by early low tech. Sometimes that also means a Mjolnir variant upgrade.

Those changes are sometimes the easiest and sometimes the hardest to communicate or justify.

Story is tougher - there are spackle-y things that are necessary to patch together small canon issues (PoA orbital position in Halo Reach, for example) - and game-specific issues that were tongue in cheek, but need to be firmed up - Sgt. Johnson dying in Halo CE, for example.

It's an ongoing process, but certainly I think really old school fans of stuff like the early Nylund novels, and deep "never before exposed to the public but known about in Halo nerd circles) will genuinely embrace some of the stuff we have planned for the future.

Not that I disagree with your entire sentiment on visual retcons, but I cannot see any reason why the exterior of the Dawn had to be changed beyond "we can get Megbloks to sell another toy". In the actual game you basically only had three shots of it.

Woorloog

Banned
Insight to the stuff like that is always interested to read. Thanks.

I don't mind the visual changes really, some i even like a lot, like the Chief's new armor.
Except what you did to the Forward Unto Dawn. And that's only because i don't think the end result looks at all like its Halo 3 counterpart.

EDIT also creeped out by my own avatar. Chose a too creepy one...

Booties

Banned

I can confirm he is more or less talking out of his ass, or by proxy talking out of his "source's." I am not confirming or denying anything specific, just confirming that he has no special insight or information.

As long as the story is easy to decipher and not a Where's Waldo hunt for information, then I'll be happy. I always liked the story no matter how silly or retconned it was. Actually, I was never bothered by it or even noticed anything strange.

Top Bottom