• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Dubz

I folded and got this. Not sure if it's for me, but I'm craving a good racer. I talked some shit about it being too niche, but fuck it I like niche sometimes.

Me, at work, waiting to play GTS when I get home.

french-ickx.png

I folded and got this. Not sure if it's for me, but I'm craving a good racer. I talked some shit about it being too niche, but fuck it I like niche sometimes.

If you go into it expecting the game that you had with GT1-6, you will likely hate it. This is a new direction. Treat it as a whole new start, or a reboot. You will actually really enjoy what the game has to offer.

I say this as a single player gamer, the on-track experience in GTS is the best I've ever played.

JJShadow

So after today's session I ended up on C/B after starting the day on D/C, not bad! Start on Brands Hatch beyond 6th or so is fucking horrible for the SR, had to perform some suicidal moves in order to avoid all the sociopaths lol

cakely

Any way to see live improvement or negative points towards SR during a race?

Yep. Every section of the track there's a little arrow next to SR which will show if it's gone up or down. Get a clean section, and you'll get a little green arrow.

Zafir

So after today's session I ended up on C/B after starting the day on D/C, not bad! Start on Brands Hatch beyond 6th or so is fucking horrible for the SR, had to perform some suicidal moves in order to avoid all the sociopaths lol

Yeah, I was starting around 7-12th on the grid. It's really rough around there because you've got loads of people behind you who will do super risky maneuvers just to over take on the first two corners.

Crash331

Maybe this is better asked in here rather than the review thread where a lot of hating is going on.

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

Maybe this is better asked in here rather than the review thread where a lot of hating is going on.

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

GT had always been good with a controller. People have been saying motion control is pretty good as well.

The review thread is just full of manbabies pushing their agendas at this point. There's no discussion to be had.

I replied there as well, but: motion controls are good. Try them out.

Mobius 1

Categorically yes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are the servers okay? I just did two challenges and my times weren't uploaded at all.

Dubz

If you go into it expecting the game that you had with GT1-6, you will likely hate it. This is a new direction. Treat it as a whole new start, or a reboot. You will actually really enjoy what the game has to offer.

I say this as a single player gamer, the on-track experience in GTS is the best I've ever played.

Exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going online ASAP

ghibli99

Small but obvious detail... it's nice that the car you choose is the one they show in the matchmaking screen that slowly zooms out. Took me a few races to even notice. LOL

Since we’re all saying we love driving and racing but are frustrated with Sport mode, why don’t we get a GAF lobby going?

Would it be possible to set up a private lobby either through the community or a password? I haven’t even touched the lobby mode.

OK am I missing something with qualifying times? I've beat my qualifying time several times tonight (switched cars) but everytime I get into the actual Sport race, it's using the one I got from a few days ago...

razu

Civic only felt like a car when I set TC to 5 and ABS to default. Probably because of the tyres. Played a custom race with slicks on a Golf earlier and it was rad.

Careless players would do better on slicks, so why are we on shitty Sport tyres?

Getting missiled is getting boring in Sport mode. Staying outside while braking and seeing Mr Dickface barrel in on the inside is tiresome. Avoid them and go slow, or keep on the racing line to get hit and lose SR and be bounced off the track and lose 5 places... There's always some shitstain cutting corners and fucking you up.

And when you get taken out, you get downgraded and get put with more moronic morons?!

Since we're all saying we love driving and racing but are frustrated with Sport mode, why don't we get a GAF lobby going?

Would it be possible to set up a private lobby either through the community or a password? I haven't even touched the lobby mode.

I believe the thread starter/OP was the one that was supposed to set that up. But... he's banned!

TikeMyson

Bought a Thrustmaster T300 for this and it feels damn great. I played many racing games before, but it took until now that I bought a wheel.

Right now my times are a bit worse than my times with the dualshock, but I think I know what my problem is. I ALWAYS take my right foot away from the gas pedal when I use the brake with my left foot and it takes too much time to push the gas pedal again. But I guess thats just the habit of driving cars with a clutch for 15 years.

D23

Bought a Thrustmaster T300 for this and it feels damn great. I played many racing games before, but it took until now that I bought a wheel.

Right now my times are a bit worse than my times with the dualshock, but I think I know what my problem is. I ALWAYS take my right foot away from the gas pedal when I use the brake with my left foot and it takes too much time to push the gas pedal again. But I guess thats just the habit of driving cars with a clutch for 15 years.

all you need now is a VR!!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Aaargh, qualifying time not registered get put in the pack with a shitty time down to D Sr.

Fuck this game seriously getting on my tits.

Fuck sake, servers must be playing up...i get awarded a gold, but time not registering....

Are the servers okay? I just did two challenges and my times weren't uploaded at all.

OK am I missing something with qualifying times? I've beat my qualifying time several times tonight (switched cars) but everytime I get into the actual Sport race, it's using the one I got from a few days ago...

Seems like something is borked with uploading times affecting both qualifying and other time uploads.

Civic only felt like a car when I set TC to 5 and ABS to default. Probably because of the tyres. Played a custom race with slicks on a Golf earlier and it was rad.

Careless players would do better on slicks, so why are we on shitty Sport tyres?

Getting missiled is getting boring in Sport mode. Staying outside while braking and seeing Mr Dickface barrel in on the inside is tiresome. Avoid them and go slow, or keep on the racing line to get hit and lose SR and be bounced off the track and lose 5 places... There's always some shitstain cutting corners and fucking you up.

And when you get taken out, you get downgraded and get put with more moronic morons?!

Biggest tip I can give anyone when in C or lower is to go tighter on your lines rather than the racing line. Don't give people the opportunity to be dicks. When you do this they will usually take themselves out as they can't race without using others. Only took me two races to get out of C. Still do it now in B on the last lap as it will often happen then.

So I'm at a B SR. After completing a Brands Hatch race, I saw my B was red, while others were white and blue. I did get a couple green SRs and a couple red SRs after I got rear ended (lol).

Am I in danger of dropping?

Gaenor

Banned
So I'm at a B SR. After completing a Brands Hatch race, I saw my B was red, while others were white and blue. I did get a couple green SRs and a couple red SRs after I got rear ended (lol).

Am I in danger of dropping?

I'm so ashamed when I'm about the only one in red lol. Still a B SR though and that's probably where I'll settle.

Edit: My qualifying times don't seem to register, even though I do a lot of laps in qualifying time trial before the race. Am I missing something? It's quite frustrating being in the last places on the starting grid (those without qualifying times) when I should be up in front if it registered.

Getting missiled is getting boring in Sport mode. Staying outside while braking and seeing Mr Dickface barrel in on the inside is tiresome. Avoid them and go slow, or keep on the racing line to get hit and lose SR and be bounced off the track and lose 5 places

Yes there's definitely jackasses, but most GT players just don't know how to drive in a non AI-bumper-cars race environment, and the game does absolutely fuck all to educate people on this. If I was writing a review, this would be one of my biggest complaints and concerns, because they decided to push casual players into competitive racing but didn't actually build a system to teach people how to become good race drivers. Which is a different skill than being a good driver. Their system is all stick and no carrot.

WTF Kaz. Why are you always fucking with NA's prime racing time? Most reasonable games do server maintenance around midnight or 1am PST, which is early morning in Europe and 4-5pm Japan time.

Loudninja

Yes there's definitely jackasses, but most GT players just don't know how to drive in a non AI-bumper-cars race environment, and the game does absolutely fuck all to educate people on this. If I was writing a review, this would be one of my biggest complaints and concerns, because they decided to push casual players into competitive racing but didn't actually build a system to teach people how to become good race drivers. Which is a different skill than being a good driver. Their system is all stick and no carrot.

WTF Kaz. Why are you always fucking with NA's prime racing time? Most reasonable games do server maintenance around midnight or 1am PST, which is early morning in Europe and 4-5pm Japan time.
I think it s needed though people times and stuff are not updating.

feels good being the old DR ranked D driver in the bottom half and the only one with a blue SR

Racing online is really fun, but it really sucks when you make one mistake and wind up in last place. I have a bad habit of pretty much giving up once I end up off track. Right now I'm starting in the top 10 on brands and that second track.

do wish the SR rank changed faster on the negative end, but probably only because that wouldnt be a problem with me. Would probably be frustating for less committed drivers to be stuck with the riff raff and then have a harder time getting out of it.

ghibli99

Is there an option in the Scapes mode to see the cars in motion? Or is it something u only see in ur garage section?

My most realistic photo was taken in that scapes scenario.
Don't think there are motion ones. Looks like sunhi cropped/edited footage that plays when you're browsing cars in the manufacturer hubs or the attract mode.

plidex

Because of Q time not registering I started like 23rd in Suzuka. I managed to finish 11th with quite a few bumps along the way. Ended up with a red B SR(I was B, so at least I didn’t get demoted)

JJShadow

Even though it's still barebones and lacking content, I'm officially hooked to Sport races, to the point where I've barely touched any other content in the game lol Every time I finish one it's like: "oh look, next one is just in ten minutes, let's do it"

Top Bottom