• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Just did my first has rez in my Anaconda. Had to abort first attempt because I left some metaalloys in my hold from the last CG. Never been chased by so many pirates before!

This is the worst lol. You will always realize you have something in the hold when you are balls deep in the asteroid field and there are a dozen ships chasing you.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it just me or is the docking computer simply not work like 50% of the time when in the Anaconda? I keep hitting the wall next to the mail slot when trying to land lol

DrBo42

Is it just me or is the docking computer simply not work like 50% of the time when in the Anaconda? I keep hitting the wall next to the mail slot when trying to land lol

It's not something that works super well with the big ships. If you land manually, line up so you look like you're going to bump your head on the slot. Since 90% of the ship is below the cockpit. Conda and Corvette are super easy to dock.

Megasoum

Banned
It's not something that works super well with the big ships. If you land manually, line up so you look like you're going to bump your head on the slot. Since 90% of the ship is below the cockpit. Conda and Corvette are super easy to dock.

Yeah I have no problem landing manually but when I do a lot of grinding I like to use the computer and just lay back while watching youtube or netflix.

I just find it funny that the AI is having a tough time doing it.

DrBo42

Yeah I have no problem landing manually but when I do a lot of grinding I like to use the computer and just lay back while watching youtube or netflix.

I just find it funny that the AI is having a tough time doing it.

Ah, gotcha. I feel like it's been that way since they implemented the docking computer. Not like the mailslot sizes are variable. Just FD being FD. I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen an AI anaconda dock come to think of it.

StonedRider

It's so utterly infuriating when I decide i want to try out a new load out but then realize I don't have the materials to engineer them, or if I do I don't get the experimentals I want and then I have to grind reputation, it's a never ending cycle where I can't actually participate in the activity I want to participate in at the level I want to participate without going through what feels like endless rubbish.

Engineers system is not perfect, but quite fair imo. My only complaint was commodities in mod blueprints, and it is so much better now after FD removed it.

If you want to roll better stats you have to invest time to materials farming. And rng gives you the opportunity to get unique stats combination to roll even better stats. Actually, it is not hard to gather enough materials for a couple of 4-5 grade rolls, but if you want to get experimentals, you gonna spend time.

During my empire rank farming I gathered enough materials for 5 grade weapons with experimentals for the rest of my life (30-50 materials each for different 5 grade mods and 3-4 grades to farm rep). I admit, it took me 4-5 evenings, but I doubt I will ever do it again.

Of course, everybody would like to skip grinding altogether, but it would be weird if the game allowed you to get 5 grade mods with desired experimentals without investing time.

forms

Engineers system is not perfect, but quite fair imo. My only complaint was commodities in mod blueprints, and it is so much better now after FD removed it.

If you want to roll better stats you have to invest time to materials farming. And rng gives you the opportunity to get unique stats combination to roll even better stats. Actually, it is not hard to gather enough materials for a couple of 4-5 grade rolls, but if you want to get experimentals, you gonna spend time.

During my empire rank farming I gathered enough materials for 5 grade weapons with experimentals for the rest of my life (30-50 materials each for different 5 grade mods and 3-4 grades to farm rep). I admit, it took me 4-5 evenings, but I doubt I will ever do it again.

Of course, everybody would like to skip grinding altogether, but it would be weird if the game allowed you to get 5 grade mods with desired experimentals without investing time.

I would prefer if we could work towards them through ”normal”gameplay, as in no weird mats and no rng...just freight, fight and fly your way towards them.

Jedi2016

At long last...

4SWAhFh.png

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I would prefer if we could work towards them through "normal"gameplay, as in no weird mats and no rng...just freight, fight and fly your way towards them.

Yeah basically this is my chief complaint, like i wouldn't even mind if it engineers were stuff you obtained only through doing plantary missions in your SRV but the fact that the best way to get the materials is finding a crashed anaconda and cycling game modes is frustrating, boring, and time consuming as hell. Not to mention since the guys you unlock are totally random you never know if you'll get the engineer you want until you do the ones you have.

I just want the time sink to be reasonable, and even then why does there have to be a time sink? I already spent hundreds of hours building my bank to afford these big expensive ships and now you're telling me they're only 30% as good as they can be if i don't spend another couple hundred hours doing engineers? I get that there has to be a sense of progression but if engineered components were just treated like the enhanced performance thrusters it would be a lot better imo. You find a specialty vendor on a planet surface that sells you the component at a much higher price but specifically tuned how you want it. Not only would this be more balanced because it would offer equal availability to everyone right away but since it's an expensive component it would also add to your rebuy. Right now getting killed in a full g5 ship is the same penalty as getting killed in a g1 ship which is just a bit strange considering their performance difference.

3A Enhanced performance thrusters aren't cheap either i think they're like 5 million compared to the like 800k of normal thrusters that's a pretty big premium, but it's a fun experience to get. You fly out to a random location you get them at a high price and you instantly feel the big power boost.

LordPusha

Just downloaded the game an tried the combat tutorial on PS4. I'm sure it's because I'm still a noob but good lord it takes ages to turn around, got melted on the second stage of the advanced combat mission because I couldn't even face the other ships. Are there flight sticks on PS4?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Finally ranked up enough in Imps to get me that sweet, sweet Courier. She handles similarly to the eagle, but with beefier hardpoints and more internal space.

Only one issue I'm having: I usually run two beams and a secondary (normally dumb fires). I went with fixed beams for the extra power, but since they're on the wingtips they've got some space between 'em. At the ranges I fight that means rarely do both beams hit.

Why isn't there any convergence to be adjusted? World War 2 era planes had both guns pointed slightly inward, so why not here?

Finally ranked up enough in Imps to get me that sweet, sweet Courier. She handles similarly to the eagle, but with beefier hardpoints and more internal space.

Only one issue I'm having: I usually run two beams and a secondary (normally dumb fires). I went with fixed beams for the extra power, but since they're on the wingtips they've got some space between 'em. At the ranges I fight that means rarely do both beams hit.

Why isn't there any convergence to be adjusted? World War 2 era planes had both guns pointed slightly inward, so why not here?
Put the second beam under the nose dude.

As for convergence, who knows.

Agremont

Ok so I just jumped into a binary system and landed straight in the middle of a star! The heat went through the roof (obviously) and in sheer panic I pressed the restart button on my computer lol.

And it worked! Phew! I nearly lost a lot of exploration data there.

Edit: It did seem to remove my filter settings though. Strange.

StonedRider

I would prefer if we could work towards them through ”normal”gameplay, as in no weird mats and no rng...just freight, fight and fly your way towards them.

But you are working towards mods through normal gameplay now, you just do not receive fixed upgrades as a reward, you receive materials for this upgrades. Maybe it is redundant layer, but for me rng is better than fixed mods, it adds unpredictability and uniqueness to your build.

I just want the time sink to be reasonable, and even then why does there have to be a time sink? I already spent hundreds of hours building my bank to afford these big expensive ships and now you're telling me they're only 30% as good as they can be if i don't spend another couple hundred hours doing engineers? I get that there has to be a sense of progression but if engineered components were just treated like the enhanced performance thrusters it would be a lot better imo. You find a specialty vendor on a planet surface that sells you the component at a much higher price but specifically tuned how you want it. Not only would this be more balanced because it would offer equal availability to everyone right away but since it's an expensive component it would also add to your rebuy. Right now getting killed in a full g5 ship is the same penalty as getting killed in a g1 ship which is just a bit strange considering their performance difference.

Yeah, good point about added rebuy cost.

There could be several short interesting storylines
with cutscenes
, which unlock some unique staff, upgrades and ability to buy them from engineers for money like you said. But I would prefer to keep rng here too.

Anyway, earning money is the same old grind. Only difference is we were able to earn money much faster than materials thanks to Robigo, Sothis, Quince, etc. And FD usually nerf everything what gives you high payout and will remove mission stacking soon.

At long last...

Congratulations!

Volimar

Just downloaded the game an tried the combat tutorial on PS4. I'm sure it's because I'm still a noob but good lord it takes ages to turn around, got melted on the second stage of the advanced combat mission because I couldn't even face the other ships. Are there flight sticks on PS4?

The combat tutorials are pretty tough, but you'll get better don't worry.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm guessing that with 2.4 we won't be able to do a ton of planet scan missions all at once like we do right now?

You'll still be able to stack missions.
But each scan/kill/etc. will only contribute to one mission at a time (in chronological order of accepting them), not all your active missions at once.

Megasoum

Banned
You'll still be able to stack missions.
But each scan/kill/etc. will only contribute to one mission at a time (in chronological order of accepting them), not all your active missions at once.

So basically I'll have to stay on the surface and keep scanning the same data pylon once for each mission?

I guess that's not too bad even if the drones will get annoying quick.

Burny

Yeah there's a thread for it. It makes sense for them with their tycoon pedigree but I just see another game taking focus away from Elite. It's not a super reasonable thought to have since they all have their own teams but it's still there. 2.4 really needs to deliver.

Don't act like the spoiled brat who's jealous because they're about to get a sibling! :p

Let's look at it from a positive angle: Maybe this will take senior game designers away from Elite, so newly hired people will have to fill in? ;)

Besides, well made management games are an addictive bunch and this has promise. If Planet Coaster is any indication, it'll be worth it for watching all the YouTube videos of insanely awesome things people build, even if the game should turn out to be shallow.

DrBo42

Don't act like the spoiled brat who's jealous because they're about to get a sibling! :p

Let's look at it from a positive angle: Maybe this will take senior game designers away from Elite, so newly hired people will have to fill in? ;)

Besides, well made management games are an addictive bunch and this has promise. If Planet Coaster is any indication, it'll be worth it for watching all the YouTube videos of insanely awesome things people build, even if the game should turn out to be shallow.

I already put a disclaimer man. Lol. I know it's not a reasonable thought. There's no way it gets Sandro off the team though regardless of what we think needs to happen. I just hope they listen to people with the RNG backlash and lack of content or decent mechanics outside of combat. One day.

Synthesis heat sinks and chaff don't give me much hope in their ability to learn after the SCB chugging we came from not even a year ago.

Burny

Synthesis heat sinks and chaff don't give me much hope in their ability to learn after the SCB chugging we came from not even a year ago.

Heat sink synthesis however is a requested and long overdue addition for explorers. The bloody heat sink launchers only have what? Three or four sinks in them? Far too few for comfortable long range exploration.

I'd rather ask if not some general rethinking of the magical synthesis mechanic is in order. Is it really supposed to be the equivalent of the potion gobbling from other games? But that opens a completely different can of worms. How should 1on1 combat even work when engineered ships already survive for about 15 minutes, even though ammo synthesis is used multiple times?

Balance and game design in Elite is FUBAR, I'm afraid. That shouldn't stop QoL additions. They don't make it any worse than it already is, but have at least positive effects.

Now, the entirely idiotic limpet mechanic of half a dozen different types of throwaway limpets using cargo space, that's something where no game designer of theirs ever seemed to have thought of KISS even once. I'd love to see that changed some day, but my hopes are slim... At the very least repair limpets add functional value.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Balance and game design in Elite is FUBAR, I'm afraid. That shouldn't stop QoL additions. They don't make it any worse than it already is, but have at least positive effects.

Heat sink synthesis just needs like a 90 second or 2 minute crafting timer. So it's impractical to use in a snap decision in PVP and it should be fine. Honestly at this point the best way to "balance" elite is to just remove engineers from components that aren't the core internals lmao.

StonedRider

So basically I'll have to stay on the surface and keep scanning the same data pylon once for each mission?

I guess that's not too bad even if the drones will get annoying quick.

I'm pessimistic here, but I think after scan you will have to go to orbit and wait for another search point to spawn.

Now, the entirely idiotic limpet mechanic of half a dozen different types of throwaway limpets using cargo space, that's something where no game designer of theirs ever seemed to have thought of KISS even once. I'd love to see that changed some day, but my hopes are slim... At the very least repair limpets add functional value.

Yeah, they should've implemented it like limpet controllers ammo that does not use cargo space.

Burny

Yeah, they should've implemented it like limpet controllers ammo that does not use cargo space.

Yep. Make the limpets reusable and refuelable, upgradable (operation duration or range etc.), make less separate obscure shitty versions (seriously, either unify fuelling, collector, hatchbreaker and bloody repair limpets or unify the bloody modules!). You'd have a rock solid base mechanic to expand player interaction with their environment in space beyond the currently "two inches deep" shoot, scan and gobble up. Because players wouldn't need to come up with a dozen different ship builds for every bloody limited limpet related task. Want interaction with cargo? Too bad, you're in an explorer ship and only have repair limpets - you get to play the poor "manual collection mini game"! Want interaction with the environment that in any way involves repairs? Too bad! You're in a mining ship, go get your repair ship instead... Want interaction with the environment that in any way involves activating triggers at structures with your ship? Too bad, this mechanic doesn't exist. Unified repair/cargo limpets sure as hell would allow them to introduce something like it though.

They might even end up being able to - *gasp* - actually design proper space ship missions that are not just glorified, menial courier runs or kill X tasks, if limpets were a basic and valuable addition to multi purpose ships instead of module space wasters reserved only for specialized builds that are useless for nearly everything else.

But the immersion idiot brigade would never stand for such a change! Why? Because they'd smell an attempt to "dumb down" their game! How can the game become dumber, when its made simpler and more effective due to actual brain work going into the design for a change? Err... selective argumentation with immersion, realism, simulation and consistency with in game rules or something.

The SRV gets refueled and repaired in the ship. Fighters can even be "3D printed" in the ship. Either can be docked and reused. Neither takes up cargo space. Tiny, single use, ten minute garbage limpets? Huge, heavy modules (in relation to their size), not collectable, not refuel-able, not synthesize-able, not 3d-print-able. Sometimes you have to wonder what Frontier is thinking. >.<

On a less depressing note for me, the HOTAS mount is progressing slowly. Only the keyboard holder needs a lick of paint and I'm practically done.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm pessimistic here, but I think after scan you will have to go to orbit and wait for another search point to spawn.

Ugh you're probably right... Anyone in the beta was able to try that yet?

I really need to get on my Empire Rep grinding before the patch if I want my Cutter anytime soon.

SmartBase

On a less depressing note for me, the HOTAS mount is progressing slowly. Only the keyboard holder needs a lick of paint and I'm practically done.

This looks sweet, I'm still waiting for a pair of overpriced Monstertech desk mounts to arrive (which is what I initially thought yours were). No idea how I'm supposed to keep the CH gear in place since there aren't any mounting holes.

Burny

Goddamn I am super duper jealous of your CH HOTAS set up. That stick is a dream.

Get one yourself! It's just the stick, the throttle, a pair of pedals to compensate for the lack of a twist axis, a good place to mount... Ok, I can see why one might not want go down that way. ;)

This looks sweet, I'm still waiting for a pair of overpriced Monstertech desk mounts to arrive (which is what I initially thought yours were). No idea how I'm supposed to keep the CH gear in place since there aren't any mounting holes.

For good reason, because I copied and slightly modified their design. The Mostertech ones are really simple and elegant. Standard parts with a bit of nice machining added. Trust me though, when you copy them yourself and factor in their machining, you'll realize they aren't even overriced to begin with. Over-specified is more like it. The toggle clamps alone cost 20&#8364; apiece.

I can recommend Velcro for fixing the CH HOTAS to any flat surface.

StonedRider

Hmm, I do not see how you will use mouse with this setup.

Ugh you're probably right... Anyone in the beta was able to try that yet?

I really need to get on my Empire Rep grinding before the patch if I want my Cutter anytime soon.

Do not worry about Empire rep, you can farm it with courier missions between Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716. Credits - that's a problem.

Megasoum

Banned

Do not worry about Empire rep, you can farm it with courier missions between Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716. Credits - that's a problem.

Yeah that's what I do for grinding but there's a lot of planet scan missions in that system too.

For money I generally do trade loops which is not a bad way to make money.... There's a better way right now?

Burny

I won't for regular ingame actions. Sims don't require one and neither does Elite currently with the HOTAS setup. The keyboard is there as a "switch board" or for potential chat purposes.

But I'm preparing a plate with a mouse pad on it. I can remove the stick (Velcro...) and put the plate in its place, for whenever I might have to switch, e.g when Elite gets space legs. For menu use, I can use the mouse on the desk.

The only way for an actually ergonomic use of a mouse in parallel to a HOTAS I could come up with, is with the center mounted stick. But that's not too comfortable with the bulky CH Fighterstick base. If ever I get something like the Virpil or VKB sticks, I might reconfigure the mount for a center mounted stick, but that's currently not in the cards. Not to mention that a center mounted stick conflicts with the keyboard.

StonedRider

Huh... So my Data Storage is full... Any tips on how to fix that?

I don't want to just dump rand know stuff just to free up space.

Previously I dumped everything over 30, but recently made excel spreadsheet where I write down materials I need for upgrades and rep farming with desired quantities. Now I discard everything not in the list.

Besides engineer blueprints, remember to keep a number of elements for synthesis.

Yeah that's what I do for grinding but there's a lot of planet scan missions in that system too.

For money I generally do trade loops which is not a bad way to make money.... There's a better way right now?

Right now the better way is Quince - the same planetary scans you do in Wu Guinagi, but the target planet is near the station and you have a good chance of stacking missions up to 20 millions worth in total. Btw, you can farm Empire rep there too.

The only way for an actually ergonomic use of a mouse in parallel to a HOTAS I could come up with, is with the center mounted stick. But that's not too comfortable with the bulky CH Fighterstick base. If ever I get something like the Virpil or VKB sticks, I might reconfigure the mount for a center mounted stick, but that's currently not in the cards. Not to mention that a center mounted stick conflicts with the keyboard.

I asked because I can not imagine using galaxy map or navigating space station or outfitting menu without mouse. Even in VR my mouse is always near.

The Mostertech ones are really simple and elegant. Standard parts with a bit of nice machining added. Trust me though, when you copy them yourself and factor in their machining, you'll realize they aren't even overriced to begin with. Over-specified is more like it. The toggle clamps alone cost 20€ apiece.

Great job!! Yeah, I bought the monster tech mounts as I don't have the tools/experience to do this myself. They were pricey, but no regrets at all.

Also, I have the IKEA Markus chair and did a little mod to add tranducers to the chair. It adds a ton too the immersion and was pretty inexpensive. Highly recommend it, especially if you like to tinker. I even turn it on and use it for other games (even standing 360 VR games) to have some feedback.

Basically, used this guide from Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3f8bal/another_bass_shaker_chair_build_unpluggable_and/

It depends on your bindings, but I never need to use a mouse in ED, just a keyboard for typing into the search bar on the Galaxy map.

Megasoum

Banned
Right now the better way is Quince - the same planetary scans you do in Wu Guinagi, but the target planet is near the station and you have a good chance of stacking missions up to 20 millions worth in total. Btw, you can farm Empire rep there too.

Oh... Interesting... Is there a specific station I should visit in that system?

DrBo42

Oh... Interesting... Is there a specific station I should visit in that system?
Think it's Miller something. And you fly over to something rewards.

Edit: Closed Beta is over

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that the closed portion of the beta is now finished. Thank you for all of the feedback and bug reports - everything you have done in the beta so far has been absolutely invaluable.

We've closed down the beta to allow us to prepare for the second phase of the beta, which will be available in the next few days. This portion of the beta will be open for all PC players, not just those who have had previous beta access. I'll have more information on when it's coming, and a changelog (and whatever changes there are from the closed portion), as soon as available.

Thanks!

Burny

I asked because I can not imagine using galaxy map or navigating space station or outfitting menu without mouse. Even in VR my mouse is always near.

I do relate - the mouse is just much more effective on the maps. With that setup, it can still be used by bending forward a bit, as it'll be sitting on the desk next to it anyway. It was just removed for the photo. Still, in that scenario the mouse is secondary for me and I'm okay if it's not in the most ergonomic position.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Get one yourself! It's just the stick, the throttle, a pair of pedals to compensate for the lack of a twist axis, a good place to mount... Ok, I can see why one might not want go down that way. ;)

Lol it adds up fast. Also lately I only use my HOTAS when doing delivery missions, for combat with fixed I basically need a mouse :(

Peroroncino

Lol it adds up fast. Also lately I only use my HOTAS when doing delivery missions, for combat with fixed I basically need a mouse :(

I really hated playing it on the mouse, first chance I got I connected my old X360 controller back when I still played on the PC.

Now I'm on the PS4 and I'm really tempted to buy the HOTAS solely for this. I'm waiting on the 2.4 before I jump back and hopefully I'll be able to get one at a discount by then. :p

SmartBase

For good reason, because I copied and slightly modified their design. The Mostertech ones are really simple and elegant. Standard parts with a bit of nice machining added. Trust me though, when you copy them yourself and factor in their machining, you'll realize they aren't even overriced to begin with. Over-specified is more like it. The toggle clamps alone cost 20€ apiece.

I can recommend Velcro for fixing the CH HOTAS to any flat surface.

Don't know why I didn't think of Velcro, will have to give that a go once the mounts arrive.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok seriously, how am I supposed to increase my initial rep in Quince?

At best I get like 1 planetary scan mission (and even that not always the case)

The only 3 other missions I have available are donate missions with stuff 300ly away...

Edit: Fuck it, going back to Wu G

Top Bottom