• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MidBoss - A roguelike where winners possess their enemies and losers get a card.

This game is a gem and I think a lot of fans, new and old, of roguelikes would definitely enjoy it. It seems to have fallen by the wayside because of basically zero coverage. It's more casual than Caves of Qud, but not everyone is a hardcore dedicated Rogue Clone player. Quick Run feature has me playing everyday before work.

logo_and_title.png

MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss. Steam keys will be distributed to those who buy the game on itch.io.

There are some really intereting mechanincs here like using your death card to start the next run with a few items.

Features
  • Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills.
  • 19 forms and over 60 abilities to unlock.
  • Randomly generated loot and equipment system.
  • Randomized potion system. (optional)
  • Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items
  • Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
  • Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
  • Custom Games so you can play the game exactly the way you want to.
  • Shareable death cards document your run and how it ended. Load these in the game for stats or to play using the same seed and settings.
  • Spend death cards to start your next run with items you had when you died.
  • Beating the game gives a victory card which can be used to play a new game+ mode where you start over with your items, abilities, or both.
  • Detailed tooltips.
  • Line of sight and fog of war systems.
  • Cratefish and balls of yarn currencies.
  • Randomly generated dungeon floors.
  • Several types of lootable containers and chests.
  • Single-file save and resume with permadeath.
  • Full options menu including key rebinding and resolution options.
  • Multiple monitor support and borderless windowed fullscreen.
  • Color-blind modes (deuteranopia, protanopia and tritanopia), optional high contrast font, and adjustable brightness.
  • 12 unlockable retro mode filters.

I'm not sure if this showed up in a More_Badass indie thread, but I did a search and didn't see a dedicated one.

Steam Page
Dev's Website

Yep, game is quality and will only get better as the updates roll on to wrangle player feedback and then some---tremendous skill and passion went into this considering how positively tiny the team behind it is.

1upsuper

Learned about this game when it was in an earlier incarnation a few years ago, and it sounded right up my alley. I'll pick it up soon.

Top Bottom