• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

So my i7 6700k wasn't as bad as I thought. I got it to 4.7ghz with 1.30 adaptive voltage with a small .01 offset, temps are about 70* with my small Noctua NH-U9S.

Nice, what motherboard? Also what are you using for your stress testing?

I have a 1070/6700k setup and I am very happy with it.

I guess it's possible. But there are seller ratings on Ebay so you know if you are buying from someone trustworthy.

I think Ebay also has some kind of buyer protection if you buy something that flat out doesn't work though. Not sure as I've never had to use it.

But anyways, glad you got sorted out :)

Specifically if you use paypal. Believe it only covers a month though - ie, if it turns up and works that's good enough. If it's fundamentally broken or fraudulent, then you get your money back.

Man though, I feel I got out like a bandit considering I managed to win a bid on an LPX 2x8GB kit for just £59 ($75 right now).

bachikarn

based on this leak, I'm tempted to just buy the 7800x (assuming that this is confirmed over the coming weeks). What do you guys think?

That's what I'm thinking too. Newegg lists the 7800x coming out on the 26th and the clocks appear similar. God knows when Coffee Lake will release so I think I'm read to jump on board with either the 7740k or 7800x, depending how expensive the new mobos are.

Help me understand. What about that article makes you think you it is a good idea just to get the 7800x. Is it implying coffee lake isn't going to be much of an improvement?

Leeroy605

Hi all, planning to do a fresh install of Windows 10 tonight to clean up my PC.

When I last did this, as I did the upgrade program from a Windows 8 key I had to download and install Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, then upgrade to Windows 10.

Is this still the case or can I download Windows 10, install that and activate it using my windows 8 key? Thanks!

Bloodember

Specifically if you use paypal. Believe it only covers a month though - ie, if it turns up and works that's good enough. If it's fundamentally broken or fraudulent, then you get your money back.

Man though, I feel I got out like a bandit considering I managed to win a bid on an LPX 2x8GB kit for just £59 ($75 right now).
Buyer protection through PayPal is 6 months.

Bloodember

Hi all, planning to do a fresh install of Windows 10 tonight to clean up my PC.

When I last did this, as I did the upgrade program from a Windows 8 key I had to download and install Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, then upgrade to Windows 10.

Is this still the case or can I download Windows 10, install that and activate it using my windows 8 key? Thanks!
No, its never been like that. Just install Windows 10 and use your Windows 8 key when it asks you, which it may not if your not changing any hardware and you log into a Microsoft account.

zewone

Node 202?

Thermaltake Core V21 - inexpensive, looks nice, relatively compact, just big enough to fit the biggest GPUs

Corsair Bulldog - expensive but cool, console like case. includes PSU, liquid cooling support for CPU+GPU for $200 or $300 with motherboard. GPU length upto 11.6" (stock 1080ti is ~10.6")?

Bitfenix Prodigy - older standard for this type of mid-mini case, I like the handles etc.

Phanteks Evolv Shift (when it is released)

NZXT Manta (bigger case for a mini ITX)

I recommend browsing the completed builds area of PCPartPicker (or google search "(your casename) build" ) to see what that case looks like with the parts you plan to use, like a GTX 1080 in it. e.g. https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/fGvRsY

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

After doing research, I ended up going with the Fractal Design Nano S:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352061

I decided to go this way because it had a simple design I was looking for and the amount of space available will making building a lot less frustrating to work with.

I bought a mobo, CPU cooler,SSD and PSU.

Now the only thing I"m missing is a video card.

I'm looking at a 1050 ti, 1060 or 970.

I know GPU prices are crazy right now and I'm not in a rush. Any suggestions?

Smokey

Thanks! I'll do some more research and look around. 1070 is quite the bit more expensive here in Sweden, which is partly why I'm considering a 1060. As for warranty and coverage, that shouldn't be any issue.

Since you seem to know your stuff, may I ask in what way the 2600k might be getting up there?

Also, would you say the faster memory in a 1060 card is worth it? Not sure how this works.

Take a look at this Digital Foundry video - 7700k v 6700k / 4790k / 3770k. 3770k is as far as they go in this testing, but your 2600k is even older so the point should still translate.

Didn't know you were in Sweden. The 1060 is a fine 1080p60 card. I've used both as I mentioned previously. it seemed like you were wanting to keep your new config for quite a long time, and that's why I suggested the 70, which is quite a bit faster.

I decided to go this way because it had a simple design I was looking for and the amount of space available will making building a lot less frustrating to work with.

Did you get a mITX motherboard for that case? Just want to check to make sure you don't find yourself with a too-large MB for your mITX case!

hitgirl

Nice, what motherboard? Also what are you using for your stress testing?

I have a 1070/6700k setup and I am very happy with it.

1070 here too. Motherboard is Asus Z170-A. Stress testing via overclock.nets custom x264 loop for 12 hours, then a short run through prime. I am so close to 4.8 at only 1.34v but it's just hardly stable enough!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814105074

Hmm, ive been monitoring my cpu temps and realized that one of the four cores and the package temps are always around 8c higher than the other 3 cores.

I have reapplied thermal paste 2 times and im 100% sure that thats not the problem. Is it possible that the tim inside the "heatsink" is badly seated? Im just wondering if I could fix that with delidling since im probaply gonna do it.

Also if I dont delidle could this "problem" be covered under warranty?

Leeroy605

No, its never been like that. Just install Windows 10 and use your Windows 8 key when it asks you, which it may not if your not changing any hardware and you log into a Microsoft account.

Hey thanks for the reply, and happy to hear that's not the case.

Although I am pretty sure it was like that in the past, had to do that song and dance a few years ago ridiculously!

Fake edit:

Seems like something they added late 2015?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...5/68e759a2-abcc-4b16-8758-92a720a6efe9?auth=1

hitgirl

Sändersson;241631911 said:
Hmm, ive been monitoring my cpu temps and realized that one of the four cores and the package temps are always around 8c higher than the other 3 cores.

I have reapplied thermal paste 2 times and im 100% sure that thats not the problem. Is it possible that the tim inside the "heatsink" is badly seated? Im just wondering if I could fix that with delidling since im probaply gonna do it.

I'd delid. The delid kit makes it so easy now. A lot easier than the old way of vice and hitting it with a hammer.

Can a 1070 run 4K/60fps for newer AAA games or will I need a 1080? I don't need the highest settings, but I don't want too much compromise. I've read the 1440p doesn't scale well on 4K TV(KS8000), but I don't want a to use a monitor so is this true? Will this new Vega line potentially be better cheaper alternative?

Also how does mining work and why are people buying up all the stock of mid-range cards to do it? Thanks for any one that bothers to answer.

NEO0MJ

That feeling when a couple of weeks after you build your PC shops bring some of the parts you were waiting over a month for 😑

NEO0MJ

Can a 1070 run 4K/60fps for newer AAA games or will I need a 1080? I don't need the highest settings, but I don't want too much compromise. I've read the 1440p doesn't scale well on 4K TV(KS8000), but I don't want a to use a monitor so is this true? Will this new Vega line potentially be better cheaper alternative?

Unfortunately not even a GTX 1080 can give you 4K/60fps, it's more about 1440p/60 FPS. The 1080 ti has more success with that.
And I'm not sure about better, but Vega is definitely cheaper. Finding them might be a pain due to miners, though.

rezn0r

Help me understand. What about that article makes you think you it is a good idea just to get the 7800x. Is it implying coffee lake isn't going to be much of an improvement?

I could totally be off here, I'm rusty and re-learning a lot of stuff at the moment, but I took it as the core-count & base speeds as not really being worth waiting around for.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Quick question: Does it matter which SATA port I use to plug in my boot drive (SSD)?. I have an Asus Z270F motherboard. I have no hard drives or disc drives.

Chris R

Quick question: Does it matter which SATA port I use to plug in my boot drive (SSD)?. I have an Asus Z270F motherboard. I have no hard drives or disc drives.

All the SATA ports on that motherboard look to be 6Gb/s so it shouldn't matter.

LilJoka

Sändersson;241631911 said:

Only delid if its causing an issue. Generally 5-10c variance between cores even soldered is normal.

Jafku

I have a Noctua D15 on my current build, but honestly there are lots of other options that perform almost as well for quite a bit less money.

Check out Scythe FUMA- almost as good for under $50. If I was building today that's probably what I'd buy. Scythe has some other lower cost options as well. Thermalright TS 140/120 also good, Cryorig has good options as well.

In general, if you want to push the OC, I'd at least stick with the ~$50 models. There are options at ~30 as well, but raw performance does go down at that price point.

Yeah, that's probably just a side-grade for gaming. I'd just hold off for now.
Thank you for the recommendation

I'd delid. The delid kit makes it so easy now. A lot easier than the old way of vice and hitting it with a hammer.

Only delid if its causing an issue. Generally 5-10c variance between cores even soldered is normal.

Ok thanks. Im probably gonna get the rockitcool kit. It seemed so easy to use and only cost around 60 euros (with everything included, even the liquid metal stuff.)

I was already gonna delid it because there is no way im not gonna run this thing at 5ghz because of the temps. xD Just seems so crazy to me.

Magwik

Banned
So bless Microcenter.
Their $50 off boards for AMD and $30 off for Intel with the processors applies to all boards and clearance boards.

I just walked out with a $0.01 motherboard

appaws

Banned
Hey, get that RAM if you do video stuff. I actually saw Premier CC use 26 gigs of RAM while adding image stabilization to some of my footage just now. That's the highest I've seen it go.

Also, I wanted to check before doing it. Can I post a link to videos I make here in this thread...? Or does that violate the TOS...? They are on topic, relating to PC building. I am doing a low/mid range 1080p build for my little brother, and I am making a couple videos, and I thought they might be on target for some newer people here.

Bloodember

Unfortunately not even a GTX 1080 can give you 4K/60fps, it's more about 1440p/60 FPS. The 1080 ti has more success with that.
And I'm not sure about better, but Vega is definitely cheaper. Finding them might be a pain due to miners, though.
Vega? AMD hasn't even announced them yet, of course you can't find them.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My ~4 year-old build has officially hit a wall, and it's time to upgrade here in the next ~6 months.

My current rig:

i7 3820 @ 3.8 (was 4.6 then 4.2 then 4... lol, this thing is dying)
16GB DDR3 @ 2133
512GB SATA3 SSD
1080 (upgraded from an original Titan)

The CPU is just holding me back way too much. The 1080 was a great upgrade, and breathed new life into the machine - but I'm just noticing more and more games fail to maintain 60fps at high/ultra at 1440p.

Forza Horizon
ARMA 3 Apex
Dark Souls 3
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Grand Theft Auto V

... etc, etc.

But a new CPU means new MoBo, which means new RAM, which opens up the door for NVMe SSD... exciting times...

Just thinking outloud...

kmfdmpig

My ~4 year-old build has officially hit a wall, and it's time to upgrade here in the next ~6 months.

My current rig:

i7 3820 @ 3.8 (was 4.6 then 4.2 then 4... lol, this thing is dying)
16GB DDR3 @ 2133
512GB SATA3 SSD
1080 (upgraded from an original Titan)

The CPU is just holding me back way too much. The 1080 was a great upgrade, and breathed new life into the machine - but I'm just noticing more and more games fail to maintain 60fps at high/ultra at 1440p.

Forza Horizon
ARMA 3 Apex
Dark Souls 3
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Grand Theft Auto V

... etc, etc.

But a new CPU means new MoBo, which means new RAM, which opens up the door for NVMe SSD... exciting times...

Just thinking outloud...

If you are going to pull the trigger then today is the best day to buy an NVMe drive.
$185 for a Samsung 960 500GB (no tax or shipping).

https://slickdeals.net/f/10281456-e...rchase-of-75-or-more-com-and-ca?src=catpagev2

https://slickdeals.net/f/10246708-s...me-ssd-199-fs-newegg-on-ebay?src=featured-cat

I just grabbed one.

Ermac

Finished putting together my build, it boots but no video! Tried both HDMI and DVI ports on the mobo and gpu, still no signal. Checked all connections, and everything seems ok. All case fans, cpu fan, GPU leds, and mobo leds are on.

Any suggestions for what the culprit could be?

Finished putting together my build, it boots but no video! Tried both HDMI and DVI ports on the mobo and gpu, still no signal. Checked all connections, and everything seems ok. All case fans, cpu fan, GPU leds, and mobo leds are on.

Any suggestions for what the culprit could be?

What CPU do you have? If it is an Intel, it has on-board video, in which case I'd suggest removing the GPU and seeing if you can get video straight from the CPU/MB without the GPU.

Also, triple-check that everything is connected and all power cables are plugged in, including the one to your monitor.

Also, try a different monitor.

Ermac

What CPU do you have? If it is an Intel, it has on-board video, in which case I'd suggest removing the GPU and seeing if you can get video straight from the CPU/MB without the GPU.

Also, triple-check that everything is connected and all power cables are plugged in, including the one to your monitor.

Also, try a different monitor.

Just tried removing the GPU and plugging into mobo, no luck. I have two different monitors, tried HDMI/DVI across both of them.

The only thing I haven't checked is the CPU (didn't wanna have to remove cooler), but I guess I'll do that now.

Just tried removing the GPU and plugging into mobo, no luck. I have two different monitors, tried HDMI/DVI across both of them.

The only thing I haven't checked is the CPU (didn't wanna have to remove cooler), but I guess I'll do that now.

Which cpu and which mobo?

Ermac

Sändersson;241661449 said:
Which cpu and which mobo?

i5 7600 and Asus Z270F

edit: Fixed! Ram wasn't pushed all the way in. Thanks for the help guys.

i5 7600 and Asus Z270F

edit: Fixed! Ram wasn't pushed all the way in. Thanks for the help guys.

It's amazing how often something not being properly attached, seated, or plugged in is the cause of PC problems! I've had the exact same issue once now that I think about it...

Do MSI Ryzen boards have some kind of EFI recovery options? I lost a MSI B250 Tomahawk today. I was updating the EFI to version 1.5 since the shipped 1.2 version was buggy and the update just froze at 14%, now it won't even POST :/

Hey guys, would a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fit into my PC case?

9jUFzQT.jpg

T9aJabr.jpg

The case is the one from this page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02863024

It's a mid-size ATX with these dimensions:

Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)

Hey guys, would a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo fit into my PC case?

The case is the one from this page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02863024

It's a mid-size ATX with these dimensions:

Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)
A Cryorig H7 would probably be a better choice, since it's shorter and provides better performance.

Theoretically, the 212 Evo could fit in there, since it's 15.8cm tall, but I'm not sure how much distance the mobo eats up.

A Cryorig H7 would probably be a better choice, since it's shorter and provides better performance.

Theoretically, the 212 Evo could fit in there, since it's 15.8cm tall, but I'm not sure how much distance the mobo eats up.

You know what, I've actually heard of that one before. I'm game to get it since it is shorter, never mind it being better. Thanks!

Just now found this video when researching ways to keep my PC cooler in the summer heat.

Ugh. I made so many mistakes when I picked my case, and then how I mounted the radiator. Because my case (NZXT H440) had fans pre-installed on the front, I assumed I needed to mount the radiator to the top. And the one video I found on installing the Kraken X52 showed the putting the fans on top of the radiator pulling air through it. Which seems like the less efficient method compared to having fans push air through the radiator.

Having a front mounted radiator pushing air into the radiator and exhausting air through the back and top seems like the preferred way to go if you have an air cooled GPU. And the main benefit is to the CPU which definitely gets hotter than my GPU. So... I think I need to make the switch.

Dave_6

Well my Phanteks Evolv for my new build showed up today. Opened it up to check it over and something seemed odd when I was trying to remove the front panel.

The head of the screw is lying in the bag that was surrounding the case. Gonna try to drill the rest out and find a replacement screw. Isn't worth trying to send it back to Amazon.

rtcn63

Having a front mounted radiator pushing air into the radiator and exhausting air through the back and top seems like the preferred way to go if you have an air cooled GPU. And the main benefit is to the CPU which definitely gets hotter than my GPU. So... I think I need to make the switch.

IIRC you only want it exhausting air out of the back of the case. Top exhaust fans would just suck most of the air before it gets to (cooling) the CPU/GPU.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That moment when you sit back, look at your pc, and it hits you that the ssd is the most expensive component in the computer @_@

Top Bottom