• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

At level 62, I'm finding SAM much easer to play then NIN. People are telling me I'm wrong and SAM is way harder. Am I misssing something here, or just personal prefrence?

Ninja is easier for everything but mudras which can get hectic to remember in sustained fights, so you'll need muscle memory.

SAM is harder for everything else. Maximizing dps means being on point with your positionals and knowing the fight. 5 Kenki is the difference between having a 300 potency attack and delaying it, which just pushes everything else back, pushing your Midare Setsugekka into void zone because the damn boss went invincible goddammit Lakshmi/Susano fuck you

Also, I got my clears for them both. Now I need a Katana, Ala Mighan helm, and two more Lakshmi drops and I'll be BIS. Then when we know about stat weights, I'll fix that, too.

Well as long as I can do content I guess. I haven't played in such a long time that I don't remember how to do anything lol. I thought one of my songs regenerated MP.
You still have MP regen in the form of a cross role cooldown. Songs are now a self/party buff that gives a 2% crit buff to party members and gives you access to some new mechanics - Bloodletter resets in Ballad, haste in Paeon, Pitch Perfect stacking in Minuet.

I doubt you'll have trouble doing content. That's MCH's cross to bear.

Alex

I don't know anything about current balance except Red Mage is the first time I've truly enjoyed a DPS role since Shadow Priest in Burning Crusade (before it was ruined, along with everything else I like by the "bring the player, not the class" bullshit in Wrath)

Also the scenario is even better than Heavensward and I don't want it to end.

walei

Doing a natural and got Monk / Mystic Knight / Ranger / Dancer team. This config is a little difficult with the limited healing (Nightingale is so unreliable). Any tips?

edit: LOL wrong thread sorry

double edit: just to contribute to this thread, while playing FFV4JF I realized the Lupin is from FFV !! Love the many homage to FFV in Stormblood.

ebil

I haven't seen much Ninja discussion, but I believe its skill ceiling actually went up by quite a bit with the new actions?

Everything is a multiple of 60s (except Duality which will line up with 1 in 3 TA) and Raiton should now always be superior to Fuma, which means our TA window is ridiculously packed now. I haven't checked the rate at which we generate Ninki and I'm only doing dungeons which tends to slightly desync my CDs but so far it seems like we can use a Ninki action for every TA window or so.

I'm only 64 so I don't have Bhavacakra (which is just going to replace Hellfrog for ST) and Ten Chi Jin yet but even without having the full picture, I predict optimizing Ninja in every fight is going to be pretty challenging. I loved NIN already but I'm really enjoying it in this expansion.

Alfebit

Banned
Wut. It's 60 seconds, heals, damages and regens mp. It's fucking amazing.

Another buff would be insane.

a13b7ba826.png

Hey everyone. I haven't played ffxiv since 2015. Is the best thing to do is just buy the whole set? I own the base and realm reborn.

Do people still like WHM? Or are there better healers now?

So what's the new rotation for Monk? I just used the jump potion and I'll be playing as Monk for this expansion. I've played the job a bit in PotD, but not much. What's a basic rotation I can use?

Luminaire

Hey everyone. I haven't played ffxiv since 2015. Is the best thing to do is just buy the whole set? I own the base and realm reborn.

Do people still like WHM? Or are there better healers now?

People hate the lillies for WHM but it seems good DPS wise. Not too much has changed which makes them fairly basic. We'll know more once the Omega raid hits.

Started leveling WHM, Lily system is a fucking scam but I'd be lying if I wasn't having a blast with 60s Assize and Thin Air. No longer having to worry about MP is way more valuable than the useless shit you get at 66+.
So what's the new rotation for Monk? I just used the jump potion and I'll be playing as Monk for this expansion. I've played the job a bit in PotD, but not much. What's a basic rotation I can use?
MNK rotation is fluid. You wanna keep DK, TS and Demo up, using Bootshine/True/Snap otherwise with your OGCds being kept on CD unless the fight demands some AoE.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you be more specific? I'm really not familiar with the job.

Dragon Kick applies a blunt damage debuff on your enemies that makes you do more damage. Twin Snakes applies a buff on yourself that increases your attack power as well, so you want to keep these up at all times. Demolish is a DoT that you also want to keep up as well, as it does a lot of damage. Your other attacks (Bootshine, True Strike, and Snap Punch) are purely filler moves you use when the other three attacks don't need to be refreshed. In between your GCD attacks, use things like Elixir Field and Steel Peak when they're off cooldown to maximize how many usages you get out of them per fight.

Make sure to open with Perfect Balance so that you can build Greased Lightning III ASAP. In an AOE situation, you'll typically try to keep Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes up before finishing your combo with Rockbreaker as well.

Rua

Losing the roll for one of the new ex mounts by 1 is so heartbreaking.
Managed to max out my gear at least, time to level another job.

Dragon Kick applies a blunt damage debuff on your enemies that makes you do more damage. Twin Snakes applies a buff on yourself that increases your attack power as well, so you want to keep these up at all times. Demolish is a DoT that you also want to keep up as well, as it does a lot of damage. Your other attacks (Bootshine, True Strike, and Snap Punch) are purely filler moves you use when the other three attacks don't need to be refreshed. In between your GCD attacks, use things like Elixir Field and Steel Peak when they're off cooldown to maximize how many usages you get out of them per fight.

Make sure to open with Perfect Balance so that you can build Greased Lightning III ASAP. In an AOE situation, you'll typically try to keep Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes up before finishing your combo with Rockbreaker as well.

Thanks!

Perfect Balance has a long cooldown though. What if I open with Form Shift to get the opo-opo stance, so Dragon Kick can apply its debuff on the enemy?

Also, how do the Chakras work? I imagine I have to build them up so I can use Purification or The Forbidden Chakra in my rotation?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I totally did it. Days of VPNs and region settings but I can finally log into FFXIV from South Korea and I'm all patched up. >phew< see you all in game!

I'm sure it's fine damage-wise. Even in 3.0 afaik, PLD was usable even if it wasn't optimal. A tank is a tank and is always needed. It just sucks that they took the job I spent 2 years playing and took out all the fun.

That's how I feel about SCH. I loved being able to stance dance between doing good heals, prepatory mitigation, buffs and doing respectable damage all while managing my fairy. Ana form Overwatch scratches a similar itch for me. All that is gone, for now at least.

Thanks!

Perfect Balance has a long cooldown though. What if I open with Form Shift to get the opo-opo stance, so Dragon Kick can apply its debuff on the enemy?

Also, how do the Chakras work? I imagine I have to build them up so I can use Purification or The Forbidden Chakra in my rotation?
The debuff doesn't matter much until you have Greased Lightning 3 to max out the damage. You use Perfect Balance to get there and start rolling.

Chakras have a chance to open up if you crit, if someone uses a weaponskill during Brotherhood or if you cast Meditation. At 5 stacks you can either use Forbidden for damage or Purification for TP.

Moaradin

Still not sure what to think of SB Monk. I still really love how they play, but Riddle of Fire seems a bit at odds with the core design of the class. I don't know, maybe everything will come together once I unlock Brotherhood.

I still think they should have given us at least one new ability that uses Chakra. Maybe an Aoe skill. Also, Tornado Kick seems even more situational in this expansion, which is kinda disappointing.

Spoilers for quest right after lvl 67 Dungeon:

HOLY SHIT CYAN'S THEME
. I love this game so much lol.

Hey, it played the first time you meet that character in Azim Steppe. How did you miss it? :p

The debuff doesn't matter much until you have Greased Lightning 3 to max out the damage. You use Perfect Balance to get there and start rolling.

Chakras have a chance to open up if you crit, if someone uses a weaponskill during Brotherhood or if you cast Meditation. At 5 stacks you can either use Forbidden for damage or Purification for TP.

How does using Perfect Balance help me in getting Greased Lightning 3 more quickly? Don't I still have to do a full three-skill combo to get one level of Greased Lightning?

Moaradin

How does using Perfect Balance help me in getting Greased Lightning 3 more quickly? Don't I still have to do a full three-skill combo to get one level of Greased Lightning?

Perfect Balance gets rid of the form requirements, so you can go straight to the end of those combos.

Nope, it nullifies combo requirements. So you can Demolish > Snap > Snap > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes all in one go, and get everything up at the start of a fight.

Xux

Man, when Lyse
hugs Alisaie, my headcanon is that my character stepped forward wanting to join in on that cuddle puddle but got denied. :/

Also, jeeze at Alisaie
roasting our boy Alphy.

Perfect Balance gets rid of the form requirements, so you can go straight to the end of those combos.

Nope, it nullifies combo requirements. So you can Demolish > Snap > Snap > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes all in one go, and get everything up at the start of a fight.

ohhh, that's neat.

So basically, my objective is to keep Greased Lightning 3 active at all times by doing the combos before the GL3 timer runs out, and build chakras while doing that?

wamberz1

About to tank the final trial, and if anyone else has I was wondering if there was anything I need to know before going in?

I know he shoots green lasers at the tanks... is that based on enmity or is it just hard locked to the 2 tanks? If it's enmity then I would have to power slash a lot more... also I know about stacking for Akh Morn, anything other important tank mechanics?

LProtag

So I'm going to leave the country for vacation for a bit, but when I get back I think I'm going to jump back into the game with Stormblood. I'm at DRG 45 or so... so I think I'll get to 50 and then decide what job I'll focus on as I'll have everything available at that point.

I'm trying to look, but can't really find it:

What's the playstyle of the Samurai and Red Mage? What do they each focus on/around? Like, I know with Dragoon I'm getting burst damage with some positioning stuff... what do I get with these jobs?

Thanks!

Perfect Balance is good as an opener for bosses, for normal trash it's not worth. You can use Form Shift to advance all the way to Coeurl and start with Demolish, giving you one stack of GL right away, which is much better as a start.

Chakras can be built with Meditation say if you have to do mechanics where you can't hit the boss, at 62 you get a trait that gives 1 chakra 50% of the time when you crit and at 70 you get a party buff that gives 1 chakra 30% of the time when someone else uses a weapon skill. You mostly use them on Forbidden Chakra for additional damage, since TP costs are so low now you'll rarely need purification. Before 62 though, it's mostly whatever, you can charge them between packs in dungeons though if you're not doing anything else.

For the rotation, it's a bit simpler than checking the status of every buff/debuff. Basically, Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes go together because they have the same duration and the same positional(flank) and have to be used every other skill rotation(skill rotation of 3 skills for each form). Demolish is used every 3 rotations. Bootshine and True Strike go together since same positional(behind) and are used whenever you're not using DK/TS.

So in short, other than the opener and assuming nothing is up:
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Demolish
Bootshine > True Strike > Snap Punch
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch
Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch
Bootshine > True Strike > Snap Punch

Then go back to the start. Now if you use Perfect Balance to open, you wouldn't start necessarily in the same spot(if you DK/TS at the end of perfect balance, then you'd start at the Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish part since Demolish would be close to dropping and you have 3stacks GL now and all your cooldowns up at this point)
On top of that you weave in all your oGCDs and your cooldowns as expected, and that's pretty much all of monk stuff. The hardest part of monk isn't the rotation, it's actually not dropping your GL3 stacks due to stupid mechanics.

Top Bottom