• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Bought it with the recent sales and so far I have to say; this game is even better than blood money (although the suburb level in blood money is still my favorite sandbox level of all time). Never thought it would happen. What a great fun game.

Dmax3901

So I got this from the recent discount, played the tutorial mission. I'm liking how polished it feels, but I'm a little stumped as to how exactly to play this? Like, do I play one attempt just scouting everything out, working out when everyone is going to be where, then play through again trying to do the perfect attempt? I dunno I'm probably overthinking it.

Any tips as to how best to approach this game?

So I got this from the recent discount, played the tutorial mission. I'm liking how polished it feels, but I'm a little stumped as to how exactly to play this? Like, do I play one attempt just scouting everything out, working out when everyone is going to be where, then play through again trying to do the perfect attempt? I dunno I'm probably overthinking it.

The levels are deep enough that you're not going to be able to figure out the perfect run from just one, two, or three runs. Let the level reveal itself to you and you will start to see what your perfect run looks like. (You'll need to do a bunch of runs anyway to unlock planning options that let you save tons of time.)

And it will not look the same as someone else's idea of a perfect run. Once you understand what is possible, pick something you want to make happen, then make it happen.

Rookhelm

Starting with the Paris level (can't remember if the ICA training facility has them or not), you can do the "Opportunities", which are mini-objectives which lead to different situations in which you can do the assassinations.

Depending on the Opportunity, it will give you way points to lead you around to various things. This will help you learn stuff if you're stumped or overwhelmed.

Just experiment. Explore, listen, observe. Don't worry about perfect attempts until much later, nor about failing early on. Multiple playthroughs as you slowly learn the map, test things about, discover new possiblities, is all part of the fun.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've forgotten how to play this game. It was all going so well until I got to the last guy who just wouldn't get off his path and by that point I was just fed up so I shot him right as the story target lady walked in with bodyguards. I think I ended up killing about 13 people getting out.

Betty

Banned
I loved Blood Money and even enjoyed Absolution but the free demo for this left me seriously unmoved.

Is the main game and actual missions worth it if someone didn't really care for the prologue?

Today's elusive was great. I loved the suspense of trying to figure out who it was.

Though, I found him and killed him the first time and it said "Non-Target Killed" so I don't know what happened there.
I loved Blood Money and even enjoyed Absolution but the free demo for this left me seriously unmoved.

Is the main game and actual missions worth it if someone didn't really care for the prologue?

The prologue did nothing for me too. Luckily, I'd already bought the game and proceeded to spend hours and hours in Paris. The prologue is really just for newcomers to the series and doesn't offer many options like the full game does.

Betty

Banned
The prologue did nothing for me too. Luckily, I'd already bought the game and proceeded to spend hours and hours in Paris. The prologue is really just for newcomers to the series and doesn't offer many options like the full game does.

Well okay, guess i'll take the plunge, hard not to at this price.

DrSlek

I just completed the fugitive. Once I knew what to look for I was easily able to assassinate him using a similar method I used to assassinate the lawyer in that level.

I wasn't able to find where the records were kept though, so I had to run around the level for 20 minutes or so before I was told what to look for.

Deadstar

By prologue do you mean the training missions? If you play Paris and don't like it you won't like the rest of the game.

I wasn't able to find where the records were kept though, so I had to run around the level for 20 minutes or so before I was told what to look for.

They were in
the director's office

Today's elusive was great. I loved the suspense of trying to figure out who it was.

Though, I found him and killed him the first time and it said "Non-Target Killed" so I don't know what happened there.

Every time you restart it randomizes who it is.

BigAT

Haha, I'm not sure how that's actually supposed to play out, but I just found one of potential guys by himself and shot him in the head. Counted as completed so I ran for the exit.

N° 2048

Don't think I've seen any other game with the amount of freedom you get to carry out your mission. It's so much fun.

I'm struggling with ep1 Paris but having so much fun trying things. A good kind of struggle.

Don't think I've seen any other game with the amount of freedom you get to carry out your mission. It's so much fun.

I'm struggling with ep1 Paris but having so much fun trying things. A good kind of struggle.
Part of the genius of doing very "small" but intricate and dense sandboxes. You can account for and include that level of freedom.

Tutorial changes are interesting. They really went all-out to teach players the basic game controls. Unfortunately a few big bugs on PS4 (one crash, another time I had multiple objectives overlapping each other) but it's a promising road forward.

Hopeford

Just got the game like a day or two ago. I think I'm more than okay with episodic releases because this game really feels like it was made for it. Plus for the first time ever I'm being a completionist, so this is a-okay with me.

Finished tutorial levels, got all challenges there, moved on to Paris. Finished Paris, now I'm moving on to challenges/escalations and also obsessively following characters to learn their plot. I really dig how you can learn as much or as little about the characters as you want. This game is amazing.

In Paris,
was playing with a friend, and our best "successful" completion of the level involved accidentally setting the motion detonated bomb, panicking, jumping out of the window of the target's room, being on the ceiling on top of the catwalk, hearing the explosion go off in the background and then being like Uh. Uh. We panicked and then made the thing fall on the catwalk. No, the other target wasn't there. He was like just slightly to the side. So we threw a screwdriver at him. 10/10, stealthiest Hitman. We technically escaped but I don't feel like we deserved that one haha.

Aranath

Is the sniper suitcase in the game? I unlocked the sniper from the Paris level and I've been trying to use it on the Sapienza level, but it's a bit of a pain having to track down a guard outfit before I can start wandering around with the rifle.

Also, do guards always home in on exactly where you fire from? I just shot (spoilers for the Sapienza level)
Francesca from the tower in the piazza opposite the entrance to the villa and the guards that were with her immediately homed in on the exact floor I was on.
And then I shot Caruso from the observatory and the same thing happened.
Unless I'm misremembering, I don't remember guards having that ability in the older games. So far, I can't say I'm enjoying trying to play as a sniper.

Is the sniper suitcase in the game? I unlocked the sniper from the Paris level and I've been trying to use it on the Sapienza level, but it's a bit of a pain having to track down a guard outfit before I can start wandering around with the rifle.

It isn't, unfortunately. Sounds like it might have been removed due to it causing some physics issues but that's unconfirmed.

Also, do guards always home in on exactly where you fire from? I just shot (spoilers for the Sapienza level)
Francesca from the tower in the piazza opposite the entrance to the villa and the guards that were with her immediately homed in on the exact floor I was on.
And then I shot Caruso from the observatory and the same thing happened.
Unless I'm misremembering, I don't remember guards having that ability in the older games. So far, I can't say I'm enjoying trying to play as a sniper.

They know roughly where the shot came from, it's just that in cases like the towers in Sapienza there's really only one place at the top of a tower for them to investigate. Sometimes you can get one shot off without them knowing where to look.

For another easy solution to the Elusive Target

If it's the guy who wants eye surgery, he's in the sauna. Turn off the cold water. He'll eventually go by the pools alone. Shut all the doors, and you can knock him out, and put him in the boiling pool and he'll die. If you go out a door where his body won't be seen through it, no one will see you and you'll get the SA easy.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMXD5MckUIg

Also, do guards always home in on exactly where you fire from?

This is actually a useful trick.

Shoot a guard non-lethally from a distance and he will run to where the shot came from. It doesn't count against your rank (because no one saw you do it), but this lets you get guards to move wherever you want.

GeeTeeCee

I loved the gimmick with this Elusive, so it's a damn shame we're near the end of the Elusive content because I would have enjoyed seeing more in this style.

I spent 20 mins wandering around the hospital just to reacquaint myself with some of the finer details of Hokkaido before getting the target
with a bandaged ear, who was promptly shoved off the garden balcony for an easy SA
. I unlocked the White Yukata, which is odd, considering I was certain I had already unlocked it from a previous Elusive.

JJShadow

So I've been hanging around Paris these last two days and damn, this game is freaking amazing. I'm still impressed but how polished it is, and the amount of freedom you have to explore and experiment is insane.

Also, I feel a bit overwhelmed about the amount of content in this game, to the point where I don't know how should I proceed. I mean, I just reached level 15 in Paris, but I still have tons of challenges to do, and I haven't even tried any of the contracts or the escalation mode, and I just found out there are a couple of extra missions in Paris, which I suposse are DLC: one Christmas-inspired and another one about killing a special target. So, is there any logical or recommended way to proceed? Should I try to master Paris 100% or do any of the escalation missions before moving to Sapienza?

megalowho

So I've been hanging around Paris these last two days and damn, this game is freaking amazing. I'm still impressed but how polished it is, and the amount of freedom you have to explore and experiment is insane.

Also, I feel a bit overwhelmed about the amount of content in this game, to the point where I don't know how should I proceed. I mean, I just reached level 15 in Paris, but I still have tons of challenges to do, and I haven't even tried any of the contracts or the escalation mode, and I just found out there are a couple of extra missions in Paris, which I suposse are DLC: one Christmas-inspired and another one about killing a special target. So, is there any logical or recommended way to proceed? Should I try to master Paris 100% or do any of the escalation missions before moving to Sapienza?
No right way to proceed now that everything's out. You can get to level 20 on each chapter for all the unlocks before moving on but it's not necessary, the game accommodates moving on whenever you're ready. I suggest leaving some content to return to once you have a wider arsenal to choose from, including the the extra missions. Paris specifically had a lot of content developed for it as the trial episode, which is why it probably looks so overwhelming. Go nuts if you want but it'll always be there to return to (and if you like Paris, wait until Sapienza).

SA on the Elusive. The mystery was fun, but the kill itself was pretty easy.

I agree. I found the documents in the director's office and had to find a guy with bandages on his nose. Found him easily in the courtyard and was trying to determine how to make the kill. The target immediately walked up the hill and just stood near the railing. Pushed him over and done. Easy SA.

RoKKeR

Played the free prologue earlier today and after I realized I kept doing the same mission over and over again I realized I had to buy the whole thing. Can't wait to jump into the rest of this game, I should have listened to Giant bomb.

Also, I feel a bit overwhelmed about the amount of content in this game, to the point where I don't know how should I proceed.
This is part of why so many of us have been saying that the episodic nature works so well with Hitman. You're not so overwhelmed when you can focus on that single stage for a month or so, These levels are so big and complex and have so much content packed into a single stage that you can play one for tens of hours.

That spread out approach let the content breathe and let you take your time and pace yourself on that single sandbox without the inherent pull of the next stage.

Grabbed it as part of the steam sale (and on Superbunnyhop's recommendation, lol).

Performance is a little weird (30-80 fps and fluctuating *wildly*), but I'm pretty certain that's because I'm running on an older i5.

As for the game itself, it's AMAZING fun.

My first run in Paris, I knocked out Helmut where he takes that phone call, got dressed,
got spotted by two guards, knocked *them* out, then quickly got dressed and threw the three assailants over the railing into the river, like, *half a second* before another guard ran in, alerted by the noise, and was like "OMG WHAT'S GOING ON I HEARD GUNFIRE" AND I was all "oh, sorry, just playing games on my phone!" And walked off. Emergent storytelling,
people! :)

Hopeford

Just started the second level. I think what really sold this series to me is that I don't think there's any other game that makes replaying levels this much fun. There's something seriously rewarding when you get to know the level like the back of your hand and you move through it smoothly.

I'm trying to play this as if it was an episodic release. Not going from story mission to story mission. Didn't go to sapienza until I had like every opportunity and challenge done. Had to do Lights Out twice though. For some reason it didn't trigger the first time I did it.

Also on that note it's a crime that the game has opportunities set to full by default. Like I understand why it is but maaan.

I'm ready for season 2 now. One of the side effects of slogging through professional difficulty is that normal difficulty is now a joke. You can pull off so much shit without any fear of ever getting caught. The randomized ET was a nice touch though.

I don't expect them to stick with the episodic model unfortunately, and E3 has come and gone, which means I don't think we're getting the next game until 2018. That said, I really really hope I'm wrong about all of this.

What's with the sound mixing in this game? It always seems relative to the direction you're facing making some sounds and conversations inaudible even though you should be able to hear it. Also, sometimes npcs sound really tinny.

ItIsOkBro

bought because of the discount and i enjoyed the 2nd level for the most part but these enforcers are really sucking the fun out of these situations. almost as bad as the absolution system of people of the same disguise you're wearing noticing you. and they don't seem to be placed with any kind of logic that would make me think "yea i see why they guy's an enforcer." just randomly and in high density around POIs. that being said the sheer size and scope of this level and all of the potential kill possibilities that must beget is enough to keep me pressing one (whereas i dropped absolution at the train station).

bought because of the discount and i enjoyed the 2nd level for the most part but these enforcers are really sucking the fun out of these situations. almost as bad as the absolution system of people of the same disguise you're wearing noticing you. and they don't seem to be placed with any kind of logic that would make me think "yea i see why they guy's an enforcer." just randomly and in high density around POIs. that being said the sheer size and scope of this level and all of the potential kill possibilities that must beget is enough to keep me pressing one (whereas i dropped absolution at the train station).

Yeah, I hear you about enforcers. They always end up turning a sure fire plan into me just rolling my eyes and groaning.

Hopeford

I kind of like the enforcers so far to be honest. Admittedly, I only played Paris, so maybe this changes in the future but I feel like the game would be a bit too easy without them. Granted, without them you would probably just pair up multi uniformed guards together to accomplish much the same thing and it would keep the same balance. I like it the way it's done though.

Top Bottom