• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"It's quickplay" and how to turn off all my interest in Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Overwatch solo queue is a neverending sea of despair, anger and frustration, be it ranked or qp. Glad i got rid of that

TAD

Imagine players with this mentality but you're stuck with them in 60-70 minute matches.

Welcome to mobas.
Yeah I think of you've played any MOBA then no other online game really comes close for frustrating teammates. Nothing like realising 30 minutes into a game of DOTA that someone is 5 levels lower than everyone else and is basically just feeding the enemy team.

The main frustration in Overwatch for me is the same as almost every team based game I've ever played which is when your team constantly staggers their attacks and ends up with 2-3 vs 6 every single attack instead of holding back for a second and all going at once.

Rodelero

Yeah, seriously, OP sounds like he wants to play real games, doesn't want to deal with people fucking off, but doesn't want to play competitive? I don't understand why he wouldn't just play competitive.

I can't speak for the OP, but for me there are all sorts of reasons why I may end up playing Quick Play. Sometimes I'm with friends who don't want to play Competitive (or where our ranks are too far apart). Sometimes I don't have enough time to play competitive. Sometimes I want to play with a character I'm not that great with, and I don't want to damage my rank or inflict my inexperience on others.

At the end of the day, whatever people in this thread may believe, I'd guess most people go into Quick Play wanting to play seriously. A fairly significant minority can make that very difficult hence the discussion in this thread. It's also worth remembering that Blizzard themselves have made it fairly clear that they want Quick Play to be at least relatively serious (consider that they got rid of hero stacking).

I think there is a danger that we get embroiled in a false dichotomy. I don't think anyone wants Quick Play to be something so serious that everyone has to start playing meta compositions all the time, nor so serious that you can't play a character you're not great with, nor so serious that you can't try something overly ambitious once in a while. That's all fine. What's not fine is people who go in with no interest in winning.

Kadin

I can't comprehend the logic behind reporting them. I mean, what rule exactly are they breaking that you're willing to try and get them banned or whatever by reporting them? Is it really just because they don't take it at serious as you do??

vareon

I love Overwatch for introducing a lot of people who doesn't usually play multiplayer FPS and will forever giggle to anyone who's frustrated for there being a lot of "casuals who don't care about winning" in QP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There should actually be 12 modes:

1. Doug Roleplaying - No one actually plays the game, people just roleplay Disney/Nickelodeon's Doug
2. Roleplaying (General) - No one actually plays the game, people just roleplay other scenarios
3. Just Having Fun - You are permitted to play the game, but encouraged not to play the game. Any points you score are subtracted from your total instead of added.
4. Just Having Fun Plus - You are permitted to play the game, but neither encouraged nor discouraged, and there are no points.
5. Just Having Fun Ultra - You are encouraged but not required to play the game, points are turned on.
6. Casual Light - You are required to play the game, but not cooperate or communicate
7. Causal - You are required to play the game and communicate and collaborate, but there are no quality expectations (currently called QuickPlay)
8. Super Causal - You are required to play the game and communicate and collaborate and you are expected to really engage and boost your teammates confidence (OP wants to play this mode)
9. Competitive Jr. - This is a competitive mode, but win or lose you get 5 wins because it's competitive but we don't want to discourage the players
10. Competitive - This is the regular competitive mode
11. xCompetitivex - This is competitive mode, but if you ever lose, you need to record a video of yourself bowing very deeply because of the dishonour you have brought to yourself
12. Twitch Presents Overwatch or Die - An ultra-competitive mode played live from ADX Florence Supermax where dangerous inmates like the Embassy Bombers and the 20th Hijacker play Overwatch, winner is literally executed by a bald guy wearing an XXL hawaiian shirt and screaming about being a Top 500 Straight Man

If Blizzard does not submit to my demands, there will be CONSEQUENCES.

But what if I want to try a character I rarely or never play? I'll suck with them but it's the only way I can really learn them. Playing against the robots is the training area is really no comparison to learning how to play against other humans.

I feel the same way as the OP, and the sentiment isn't "you have to play the game perfectly in quickplay", its "don't actively try to ruin the game by being intentionally shitty." If you want to try a character you rarely or never play, certainly play them, BUT ACTUALLY PICK THEM IN THE RIGHT SCENARIO.

Don't fucking pick Torb on attack and go "lol I wanna learn him". Wait til a defense match. Don't pick Hanzo on attack (or defense for that matter) on a team that already has someone picking goddamn Widow and no one picking a tank. Instead of just playing 10 matches in a row with the one character you want and saying fuck off to any semblance of team comp or teamwork, pick four or five different characters you want to learn/improve, and rotate them around to help balance out the teams you are on.

Its the shit like that that makes quickplay and the "lol its quickplay" comments insufferable. Its just an excuse for pure unadulterated selfishness.

luulubuu

Pro league? Noooo, that's why there's tiers! Sure people are battling for the top 500, but the best parts of competitive are:

-Matchmaking that puts you with people close to your skill
-Grouped with people that want to work together and win (for the most part)
-Penalties for leavers (although mild..)
-More communication (usually)
-Special rewards (player icon, gold weapons)

Try it! I rarely ever play quickplay after playing competitive. It's addicting. I'm no MLG player, but I was 2 wins away from top 500 in season 2!

Thanks! I will give it another try, I was afraid of not being good enough and that would ruin other's progression

i agree that QP is for practicing or being "casual" or having "fun."

it doesn't mean griefing your team.

i think if you want to play for just clowning around, you should make a custom match.

Pretty much this, but then again, people are as free as me to play the way they do so I can't think of a solution more than just stick with competitive even if I'm not that good

i will play torbjorn on attack in honor of this thread

I got my ass kicked yesteday by a torb in attack, that man and his turrets

Mooreberg

That is every shooter since MW2. If people can level up doing anything, they will do anything. It happened with Halo Reach, Killzone 3, Battlefield 3, etc. I think the reason that CS is going to be the first to hold (and expand) it's audience for 20+ years is that the core game modes effectively neutralize people who don't care about winning a match. Most other shooters do not do this.

ZangBa

I feel the same way as the OP, and the sentiment isn't "you have to play the game perfectly in quickplay", its "don't actively try to ruin the game by being intentionally shitty." If you want to try a character you rarely or never play, certainly play them, BUT ACTUALLY PICK THEM IN THE RIGHT SCENARIO.

Don't fucking pick Torb on attack and go "lol I wanna learn him". Wait til a defense match. Don't pick Hanzo on attack (or defense for that matter) on a team that already has someone picking goddamn Widow and no one picking a tank. Instead of just playing 10 matches in a row with the one character you want and saying fuck off to any semblance of team comp or teamwork, pick four or five different characters you want to learn/improve, and rotate them around to help balance out the teams you are on.

Its the shit like that that makes quickplay and the "lol its quickplay" comments insufferable. Its just an excuse for pure unadulterated selfishness.

I picked Torb for all of my placements except the first since someone beat me to it and went 8-1-1 then won the game after. That shit doesn't matter anywhere.

I just play Comp and Arcade occasionally. I don't really play the game to win or lose. If I'm good, I'll win. If I'm bad, I'll lose. Eventually my rank will take me where I should be. Sometimes you get games where you lose despite doing good, sometimes you win despite being bad.

Quickplay feels pointless to me. But that's just my opinion.

Alucrid

Banned
just because i'm a torb main doesn't mean i'm not putting my best effort into the match. maybe my best effort just isn't that good.

karnage10

Banned
I can't comprehend the logic behind reporting them. I mean, what rule exactly are they breaking that you're willing to try and get them banned or whatever by reporting them? Is it really just because they don't take it at serious as you do??

The problem is not the seriousness the problem is not playing well.
Is it fun to play in the following party: widow, hanzo, tracer, zen and torb/bastion. Also everyone will play by themselves and "wasting" ults to kill 1 char.
I get not having the competitive edge, but is a "normal" comp ( atleast 1 tank and 1 healer) so much a hassle?

Nah can't agree op. Quickplay in all games is where you go when you don't care about winning or losing for me. Ranked if I want to play competitively.

Holy shit stump.

Zekes!

just because i'm a torb main doesn't mean i'm not putting my best effort into the match. maybe my best effort just isn't that good.

"I'm gonna start with Widow to try and get a quick pick and then switch"

*Never gets a kill with Widow ever

New002

Lol @ talking about reporting people. Sounds like you need to update your expectations to match the reality of the situation. Welcome to every type of "Freeplay/Quick Play/ Quick Match" whatever.

Imagine players with this mentality but you're stuck with them in 60-70 minute matches.

Welcome to mobas.

Yep, its awful when you're stuck in these matches that you know you'll lose within the first 5 minutes but have no choice but to stay or be penalized for leaving early.

Everytime I'm playing HOTS and someone plays a healer whos on the other side of the map all game soloing and doing a total of less than 2000 healing all game they play the "it's just quickplay" card. I've played plenty of matches with people who aren't very good or don't understand their character very well but still came away winning the majority of those matches. I've never once won a single game where I had someone on the team doing the whole "it's quickplay so we should try our hardest to purposely lose" thing.

I gotta confess, anytime I join someone who is raging on the mic or in the chat that his team mates arent taking things seriously in any game (even if it is ranked and competitive) I try extra hard to be absolutely garbage.

Kadin

Is it fun to play in the following party: widow, hanzo, tracer, zen and torb/bastion. Also everyone will play by themselves and "wasting" ults to kill 1 char.
I get not having the competitive edge, but is a "normal" comp ( atleast 1 tank and 1 healer) so much a hassle?
I think it's a pretty bad expectation to think that all your QP matches will build into a solid team. I'm not sure why people would think this would be the case, people are going to play what they want at times when they want to. Of course it would be nice for there to be great synergies within your team but that's just not realistic at all times...

luulubuu

I can't speak for the OP, but for me there are all sorts of reasons why I may end up playing Quick Play. Sometimes I'm with friends who don't want to play Competitive (or where our ranks are too far apart). Sometimes I don't have enough time to play competitive. Sometimes I want to play with a character I'm not that great with, and I don't want to damage my rank or inflict my inexperience on others.

At the end of the day, whatever people in this thread may believe, I'd guess most people go into Quick Play wanting to play seriously. A fairly significant minority can make that very difficult hence the discussion in this thread. It's also worth remembering that Blizzard themselves have made it fairly clear that they want Quick Play to be at least relatively serious (consider that they got rid of hero stacking).

I think there is a danger that we get embroiled in a false dichotomy. I don't think anyone wants Quick Play to be something so serious that everyone has to start playing meta compositions all the time, nor so serious that you can't play a character you're not great with, nor so serious that you can't try something overly ambitious once in a while. That's all fine. What's not fine is people who go in with no interest in winning.

I wish i could speak as good as you.

Maybe my problem comes to have or had false expectations towards the game mode or maybe to not really understand the modes themselves;

- I thought QP was a quick match to have fun and try to be better, this includes new heroes you are not used to, new strategies or just have fun*

-Competitive was a very serious mode where your performance is critical to the fate of the match, with that pressure, when I play maybe I'm tired of working or it's very late so maybe I'm not in the best mood to give that dedication.

* by just playing and not trying to throw the match for others

Water

I still have no idea why you don't stick to ranked? Because you're worried you'll be bad? That's why they have matchmaking to put you against the right skill levels.
Matchmaking is so garbage in QP that for me it's sufficient reason to play comp over QP 100% of the time, even when I want to play a character I have no clue how to play. I'm around 1500SR, but QP often puts me up against at least someone whose comp rank is near 3000SR. Doesn't matter if my team also has OP dudes and the odds of the match result are 50/50, it sucks all the fun out of the game and also prevents learning (or actively teaches you wrong tactics) when individual skill levels are so different.

I would play QP if there was a checkbox in settings that matches me only against +-500SR folks in QP, the same as comp. I don't mind longer queue time to get good matches. That wouldn't require splitting the playerbase into more modes either.

E-flux

you can't expect that the game puts you into a team where players like playing those roles. I'd rather lose a game and play as a hero i enjoy than slog through a round of playing dudes that i have no interest in playing, while the guy who whines about the change is playing his favorite hero.

Honestly I treat Quick Play as training grounds/trophy hunting/for fun. Most of the people I play with in Quick are utterly terrible anyway, so theres no point in try harding and stressing myself out over useless levels and lootboxes.

I play Competitive seriously on PS4 (Currently at SR 3829 and rising), so when I go to quick/arcade its either fucking around with friends for lootboxes or trophies, to get actual ingame practice against other players with characters im not as skilled with, or to just get a break from all the toxicity and stupidity in Competitive.

In Competitive I'm almost always on Healer or Tanks, so when I'm playing quick I rarely if ever Tank or especially Heal. I have never been insulted for not taking matches seriously, nor have I seen others.

And honestly I follow the same mentality as I do in Comp. If everyone is working their asses off trying to win, I'll put in my best till we see that victory or defeat screen. But the moment someone starts being ultra toxic and straight up insulting people, thats when I tend to start "accidentally" missing ults, or pulling out the Torb.

vareon

The Widow might be one player's main and he/she chose first.
The Hanzo might be someone training to be a good Hanzo.
The Tracer might be someone thinking the team needs a DPS and Tracer is what h/she plays best.
The Zen might be someone thinking they need a healer.
The Torb might be someone looked at the team, realizing it's not the best of team, and decided to train Torb on attack.

My point is in Solo, there will be 5 people whom you cannot control or know what their circumstances are. Expecting 5 totally random people to have the same mindset as you everytime seems like a very frustrating effort.

mnannola

Sorry, can't say I agree with you. There's a mode specifically for people who want to take it seriously. It's not anyone's fault but yours that you refuse to play said mode unless your team/friends are with you.

I think I have played around 10 Competitive matches in total and I bought the game at launch. I play to have fun and if that means only playing Hanzo for 10 matches in a row well, that's what's happening.

This right here. There are times I want to just play Reaper until my fingers bleed. We already have 3 DPS? Don't give a shit, it's Reaper time. Does this put our team in the best position to win? Fuck no, but I want to play Reaper.

Of course I always do try and win, but primarily I am just playing to have fun and shoot bad dudes.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. Want your teammates to give a shit? Play Competitive
2. Don't care what your teammates do? Play QP

luulubuu

Matchmaking is so garbage in QP that for me it's sufficient reason to play comp over QP 100% of the time, even when I want to play a character I have no clue how to play. I'm around 1500SR, but QP often puts me up against at least someone whose comp rank is near 3000SR. Doesn't matter if my team also has OP dudes and the odds of the match result are 50/50, it sucks all the fun out of the game and also prevents learning (or actively teaches you wrong tactics) when individual skill levels are so different.

I would play QP if there was a checkbox in settings that matches me only against +-500SR folks in QP, the same as comp. I don't mind longer queue time to get good matches. That wouldn't require splitting the playerbase into more modes either.

This could be the solution, for real.

I don't think this problem exists in high levels though? Let's say around 500 and around people are probably just going there with some expectations and 0 interest in messing with other people, but I'm assuming since I'm level >100 only

It's the same on Rocket League. It's a test bed for stuff you want to try out or when you just want to mess around and have low stress. You can't take it seriously cause most others absolutely won't.

It's the same on Rocket League. It's a test bed for stuff you want to try out or when you just want to mess around and have low stress. You can't take it seriously cause most others absolutely won't.

At least on RL I can play 1vs1 Ranked. I would actually love it if they made a ranked queue for Duel 1v1 mode.

Reading this literally made me tense and grind my teeth. Play the game right or don't play it all.

I have seen some Offense Torbs in high ranked comp matches (Like Masters/Grandmasters). Its hilarious how it actually seems to work a decent amount of time. I have seen setups with Rein/Orissa standing/shielding on the payload, with a Bastion or Torb turret constantly up

I have started using him on Defense more too, theres some really good spots for turret placement that can utterly fuck a team with low mobility or long range shooters.

Alucrid

Banned
This could be the solution, for real.

I don't think this problem exists in high levels though? Let's say around 500 and around people are probably just going there with some expectations and 0 interest in messing with other people, but I'm assuming since I'm level >100 only

you're mistaking player level for SR. and as far as i know quickplay does try to match you with players of similar skill, although i presume it's not quite as strict as competitive.

Two Words

I absolutely hate the mode that competive is the place where you play for real and quick play is the place where you fuck around.

I don't demand perfection or completely serious effort in quick play. I get it. We're all just trying to have fun and some of us have more fun not picking the absolute most optimal character for a situation. But I hate it when people do things that are intentionally against winning and justify it by saying it is quick play and that is what quick play is for. It's not. If you want to put Symmetra's teleported on the opposite side of the map where people need to be, I can't stop you. You're obviously free to do what you want. But just own up that you're being a dick. It being quickplay in no way justifies ruining other's game experience or having absolutely no desire to actually complete the objective.

El Sabroso

My question GAF is, what's your opinion on the matter? How you face QP and how you recommend me to have more fun with the game?

Edit: Let's be clear, I do have fun even if I lose, but not when there's shitty stuff/players in the team. It's okay to lose if we all have fun and put our best efforts in the match

I block all of those type of players so I don't get to play with them again

"Reading this literally made me tense and grind my teeth. Play the game right or don't play it all."

Alternatively, they'll play how they like and you'll have to deal with it or not play at all.

I think it's just maybe a bit unreasonable to expect quickplay to cater to your desires here. Yes, people who are actively useless on a team can be frustrating, but you seem to be taking bad play personally which is a quick ticket to having no fun at all. There's some stuff I think you should consider here:

-Overwatch is huge now, and the skill levels and desire for competition among the playerbase will vary wildly.
-Not everyone cares about the meta, or knows how to "really" play Overwatch. Some people are slow, or new. Some people just like the characters. C'est la vie.
-Kids play Overwatch.
-People who don't play many games play Overwatch.
-The tutorial modes don't provide any sort of realistic situations, so practice is a completely valid reason to play QP.

It really, really sounds like you want to be playing competitive. It's just a little unreasonable, I think, to queue solo and expect every teammate to be on the same page. I get that it's frustrating that there's no in-between, but I think the closest thing to a stopgap between the free-for-all madness of QP and the die-hard seriousness of competitive is queuing with friends in QP. At least then you know what you're getting.

trixx

What if newcomers want to get used to the game? There may be little kids that just want to play, comeon man don't take it too seriously. It's like splatoon's non ranked mode, regardless of whether I'm winning or not its mostly to have fun and hone in on skills.

tbm24

I think people have weird expectations from Quick Play. It's designed to let me get in a quick round and get off if I need to. If I log on and want to hone my Pharah, I'm gonna do it in quick play. Theres no other option. Vs AI is not at all a substitute. I had this same problem with Dota 2. I stopped playing seriously in December 2015. Few months ago I wanted to try and get back into it, had a terrible experience with teammates upset i wasn't 100% on the up the up with all the changes and new tactics, ward spots etc. Not sure how else I'm supposed to do any of that if I haven't been playing all this time already.

I suck at shooters and just like to turn my brain off and play without paying attention to teamwork on more than just a basic level or what the correct strategic thing is to do, am I supposed to just never play overwatch then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom