• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Wait... Is selling more than fucking Gears an accomplishment?

It is. Gears is a big franchise.

There's monstrosities like Halo, GTA, Mario and Gran Turismo, but that doesn't mean that franchises like Gears and God that sell in the ballpark of 6 million are small by any stretch of the imagination.

Usobuko

Banned
Whether this is the case for bigger franchises is a bit more dubious though (GT, Uncharted and God of War). A while ago I was surprised at how many views some of these trailers were getting on the PS youtube channel.
exposure.

The PS channel really grows after the PS4 reveal, it was like 900k back then before TLoU launches. On a similar but smaller scale, Nintendo was actually behind Xbox for youtube but the strong E3 2014 showing pushes it ahead.

Bundy

Banned
After played Ground Zeroes I can say the moviments (specially when Snake is running) feels unnatural and weird in 60fps.

I will try 60fps in TLOU and if something feel weird I'm glad I will have the 30fps option

DPMvYmY.png

Yup! I'm gonna start with 60fps.
If I don't like it after a few hours, I will go back to 30fps.

hesido

DPMvYmY.png

Yup! I'm gonna start with 60fps.
If I don't like it after a few hours, I will go back to 30fps.

Don't, keep at it for more than just a few hours. Don't condition yourself to not like 60fps, btw.

(I'm a former movie-purist that hated the soap opera look who turned into a frame-rate upconversion and a strong HFR movie supporter. Thanks Pete, for shooting at 48fps.)

Loomba

So unlocked 60 or locked 30.

I hope it's just a design feature because I'm sure they tweeted that they were trying to get it past 60...

Melchiah

Good to know they're using the DS4 speaker, which means I'll be playing this version without headphones. Not to mention, that the original PS3 wireless headset doesn't work properly with the PS4 due to connection issues, eventhough it was patched. I'm curious how they're going to use the speaker, perhaps for the item sound or something like that? I wonder what's the new add-on content going to be. Hopefully a horde mode with the infected for the MP, or another SP addition.

As for the 7 million sales, I can't think of a game from the last years, which would deserve it more. Pretty amazing for a new IP, and a horror game.

Kagutaba

That's insane, amazing and so well deserved. The Last of Us is such a leap in quality in my opinion from the Uncharted series; the TPS mechanics, character movement, characterization, writing, story, you name it. It's true we don't know why Amy Henning and the others left Naughty Dog but if it was over radical changes to the Uncharted series in the wake of TLoU and Uncharted 3. I would consider their leaving a good thing, and furthemore if it leads to the next Uncharted having gameplay and writing of the same high quality as TLoU, the Uncharted series will be official saved from mediocrity.

The only reservation I have, is the 100 percent certainty of a TLoU 2. That game really didn't need a sequel, story wise it was absolutely complete with a perfect ending.
Oh well, I'm sure they will figure out some classy solution.

FinalD

Worldwide? lol.....

This is pretty much anecdotal evidence but many of my friends skipped the PS3 release in anticipation for the remaster. I know that I will be double dipping, and judging by the number of the replies in this thread and it's position on the first page for several weeks now, I can comfortably say that 100k is nowhere close to what it will sell.

Oops, meant a few 100k's (plural). So, maybe half a million? It was only a question anyway.

Bundy

Banned
Don't, keep at it for more than just a few hours. Don't condition yourself to not like 60fps, btw.

(I'm a former movie-purist that hated the soap opera look who turned into a frame-rate upconversion and a strong HFR movie supporter. Thanks Pete, for shooting at 48fps.)

The Hobbit in 48fps was the shittiest cinema experience I've ever had.
The movie looked like it was moving in fast-forward mode.
I hate it! -_-

Damian.

Banned
That's a lot of people buying a game that is too ambitious for the platform. Such desperation for a game that runs like shit. Bring on the PS4 version, or should I say, the regular version!

As for the 7 million sales, I can't think of a game from the last years, which would deserve it more. Pretty amazing for a new IP, and a horror game.

Yep. Best selling horror game of all-time, I'd imagine.

After all, according to Capcom in Oct. 2013, Resident Evil 5 had become their best-selling game, surpassing Street Fighter II, at 6.5M.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller

And that game had the advantage of having 4 years and being on three platforms to gain that number.

This is a pretty big accomplishment for TLoU.

RiverBed

Banned
Why is this guy always wrong in every prediction he makes.
Isn't he supposed to be some kind of journalist?

It's because some can't distinguish between journalism and opinion. It's like they don't even understand what 'reporting' even means.

(general statement)

Steroyd

In an industry where AAA budgets gone out of control and shitty focus testing along with stupidly unrealistic sales targets, it does the heart proud to see a game in a genre where apparently bank wasn't to be made anymore for the big publishers to sell to the "masses" and be sensible about it.

Seems kind of low tbh. I'd think with the infinite praise and 80m+ userbasd, it would be able to sell 10m

There is no adequate facepalm in the world for this remark. None at all.

I will buy the PS4 version on Disc.

I own the PS3 version digital. But this game I want to have a playable copy of even 20 years down the road.

So deserved. Should be even higher.

I'm not sure about current numbers for UC3 and GoW3 but this will probably end up being the best selling PS3 exclusive after GT5.
PS4 version should do a million by the end of this year.

Pewdiepie, the #1 most subscribed YouTuber, exposed this game and praised it to at least 10 million users. I'm sure he had some impact. He was an early adopter for this game, and I'm sure he caused others watching him to go out and adopt this game as well. I'm sure Uncharted would have sold 7 million units a game had popular YouTubers done Let's Plays as well.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. The Uncharted series does sell nearly 7 million per instalment. Gears averages 6+ million sales, Judgement aside.

Huggers

It is probably the best game that came out last gen all things considered. Well deserved. Surely it'll hit 10 million with PS4 sales eventually

Kagutaba

It's because some can't distinguish between journalism and opinion. It's like they don't even understand what 'reporting' even means.

(general statement)

Some being me? An opinion is subjective and can't be disproved, the statement:
"I think the last of us is going to do less than uncharted..."
Can be disproved, and is therefore not an opinion.

Poetic

100% deserved, one of my favorite games of all time. I will definitely be double dipping when I eventually get a PS4 for Bloodborne.

Some being me? An opinion is subjective and can't be disproved, the statement:
"I think the last of us is going to do less than uncharted..."
Can be disproved, and is therefore not an opinion.

Well, it was his opinion (prediction), and it was wrong. Opinions can be wrong. I could say Michael Jackson was talentless and it would be my opinion, but I'd still be wrong.

Fred-87

Seems kind of low tbh. I'd think with the infinite praise and 80m+ userbasd, it would be able to sell 10m

Not at all, 1 out of 11 people bought this game.

i would say the rest who didnt buyed the game were call of duty/fifa/madden-bro's who dont know any other game excists. People who buy only second-hand. People who rent. People who loan the game from their friends.Then there are people who cant afford to buy games anymore. People who dont have time to game anymore. People who's PS3 broked and is out of warranty. Etc etc etc.

So considering all that i find 1 out of 11 huge number.

Kagutaba

Well, it was his opinion (prediction), and it was wrong. Opinions can be wrong. I could say Michael Jackson was talentless and it would be my opinion, but I'd still be wrong.

Oh! I'm not native English speaker, but in my language an opinion(Åsikt) can't be wrong. If that's not the case in English, I take back what I said.

Hanmik

I always thought that the name behind the ip is more of a reason why an ip sells

for real..? I don´t care who makes a game.. as long as the game is good I will buy it.

And I don´t think many people browse games in shops and looks at who made or produced the game.. but maybe I am the only one.

(general statement)

Even if it was his opinion, he missed his prediction of 300K sales by a whopping 23.3x multiplier.

I mean, that's like a guy claiming to be a horse racing "expert" predicting "Lucky Lucy" to win the Kentucky Derby, and then it turns out that "Lucky Lucy" is a three-legged turtle ridden by a 300lb. jockey.

I would say this man should've been laughed out of the industry long ago, but that implies people are laughing. It's not a joke anymore that this incompetent is pulling down a paycheck. It's an embarrassment to the industry.

So wait, what does "cross-buy add on" means? Does it mean if I buy PS4 digital version I get all PS3 DLC for free? I have bunch of friends who don't have a PS4 and haven't bought Left Behind yet. They would be pretty psyched if this is true.

Top Bottom