• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite Hype, VR Investment Fades In Q1 2017

Nothing will kill VR.
At worst the current iteration will phase out, but VR as a concept is so integral to the concept of entertainment and storytelling, that is actually, undoubtedly, the ending point of everything videogames and similar entertainment are trying to do, especially escapism based ones.

That said, as a big believer in VR, I'm actually disappointed by the slowness at which prices have gone down and technology improvements of the hardware.
It hasn't even been a year yet since the tech become available. Why would you expect the pricess to drop fast?

It's like blu-ray players circa 2006

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel like almost every argument for how VR will catch on could just as easily have been made for 3D or Kinect-style motion controls.

Is it possible that, regardless of how advanced/cheap the technology is, no matter how much quality content there is, that people might simply prefer sitting on a couch with a controller in their hand, playing on a regular TV, and not being completely cut off from their surroundings?

This just isn't true. The sad part is too many people want VR to be the end point for all gaming, instead of understanding that it'll be something that it'll be something that you do along side of mainstream gaming.

It'll always be a secondary way to play. Which is fine.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't really see why AR is supposed to fare better. VR is at least theoretically interesting, even if I have some severe doubts the current VR tech will ever amount to anything without becoming something substantially different than what it is now. AR, on the other hand, I'm just not sure what an AR game that isn't shallow and gimmicky would even look like outside of an arcade context.
AR can replace your screen, make computing available everywhere, that's all there's to it. People don't buy a tablet because they want to play games, they buy a tablet because it untethers their computer from the desk or even their personal sphere and make it so they can bring it to meetings and huddle around it. The games just follow where the computing is. (Console gaming comes from a time where it was cheaper to hook up a pc to a tv than get a pc and a screen). AR has a productivity benefit, VR so far doesn't really. Mainstream gets computing for productivity first and foremost.

mckmas8808

I also feel that VR is not the future but AR is instead. People don't want to be locked into isolation chambers. They want extensions of what they are doing. AR offers that and it is clearly a better business proposition given its ability to better integrate with phones, glasses, and other existing tech or consumer artifacts.

AR also has it's problem. Right now compared to VR it's crap when it comes to making good game experiences. Right now from my vantage point AR is providing ZERO to gaming that I'd like.

AR can replace your screen, make computing available everywhere, that's all there's to it. People don't buy a tablet because they want to play games, they buy a tablet because it untethers their computer from the desk or even their personal sphere and make it so they can bring it to meetings and huddle around it. The games just follow where the computing is. (Console gaming comes from a time where it was cheaper to hook up a pc to a tv than get a pc and a screen). AR has a productivity benefit, VR so far doesn't really. Mainstream gets computing for productivity first and foremost.

So me one game that AR has made clearly better and more interesting. And IF you can I could probably show you 5 VR games in their place that people loved playing.

mike6467

Hopefully they're able to turn it around. I don't buy that VR IS the future, but I really hope that it's part of it.

I went all in with an Oculus, and my old roommate had a Vive. We played a lot of stuff, and spent way too much money for games that were, in no way, worth their purchase price. In the end he sold his Vive, and my Oculus is packed away. I can't see myself jumping into VR for awhile at least, as I just don't like being cut off from everything else like that for any amount of time.

I still have high hopes for AR though.

What little interest I had in VR died with the Switch. I know, sounds silly. They don't compare, except that they both compete for the dollars in my checking account. I'd rather put money expanding my future Switch library than diving into VR.

I can't afford both.

spekkeh

Banned
So me one game that AR has made clearly better and more interesting. And IF you can I could probably show you 5 VR games in their place that people loved playing.
Show me one mobile game that's clearly better than consoles, yet here we are.

(Pokemon go, I guess)

Majukun

My psvr is collecting dust. I predict Sony will confirm my fear at e3 that they don't give a fuck about psvr.

well that's what sony usually do...they make something just to say they have it too compared to the opposition, but they fail to properly support it..but for their marketing the important thing it's that the box it's checked

Exile20

Nah man, I was told Sony and PSVR is going to save VR

Can't believe people actually believe this. Maybe VR gen 2 will bring more to the table.

well that's what sony usually do...they make something just to say they have it too compared to the opposition, but they fail to properly support it..but for their marketing the important thing it's that the box it's checked

Basically, remember thier wiimote competitor

Abounder

Banned
VR is rushed garbage, investors damn well better be in wait and see mode. It's worse than CGI before Pixar and you'd think somebody would've learned from all the other $300+ peripheral addons that have faded away - but nope content droughts ahoy.

Only chance I think VR has is if it ships with every next gen PlayStation and Xbox. But then the next question is, what the fuck is a next gen console with the rise of console updates?

(Pokemon go, I guess)
Sorcery, Device 6, 868-Hack, the list goes on

That wasn't a very good analogy

The secret is that good gameplay and game design isn't limited by platform

There's a lot more than price involved with the lack of interest in VR. See Daydream/Cardboard and Gear VR, which sold (or were given away) in large quantities, but just collected dust. Comfort, ease of use, image quality/field of view, and depth-of-focus are all technical areas that need to be greatly improved; the content itself is also insufficient.

I would argue it's the fact you have to use your phone which makes the experience a short one and not an experience that keeps you wanting more. DD and Gear were made to work, that's it. If PSVR dropped to $199 today, they'd fly out of stores cause there are games for it. They'll get to that point one day, but for now it's just too pricey.

Linkup

Makes senses to me. The hype builds up beyond what the hardware and software could do or achieve. Now the reality has once again settled in that this will take time before the hardware and software are good enough.

I am interested but find VR to be too expensive, clunky, and a nightmare to set up.

Don't believe the nonsense you see online about the setup process. PSVR is up and running in less than 30 minutes and so is the Oculus Rift. Vive I am not sure as I don't have it.

The PSVR is the easist to setup but the Rift is almost the same. I got the rift setup with 3 sensors in a 5 by 7 space in less than 30 minutes. Works fine.

jman2050

The headset requirement is going to be the biggest barrier to entry for the forseeable future. Moreso than price or lack of content or whatnot.

I think this fact continues to be understated in theae debates.

mckmas8808

(Pokemon go, I guess)

Well there's plenty of mobile games that are better than many console games. And to be far, mobile games have their place. When you are out and about, they give you something to do that's entertaining. Even if it's just 15 minutes.

Leatherface

As a Vive owner, I buy very few VR games since 90% of them are still just arena shooters and I'm sick of arena shooters.

Yeah I haven't touched my Vive in months unfortunately. There are two glaring issues that absolutely need to be addressed.

1. Movement causing many people to want to hurl. Teleporting is okay I guess but kind of a band-aid fix.

2. More full game experiences and less parlor titles. I think this could be fixed partially by eliminating the motion sickness aspect associated with movement. Then at the very least more titles can be patched to work in VR effectively.

Chindogg

Not surprising at all.

Called this back when the guy with the Sonic avatar was saying anyone who didn't see VR as the future were idiots.

Just like 3D, it's cool tech that every company got on board real quick but still lacks the software to justify it's necessity in the consumer market. It's still cost prohibitive and honestly not that worth it for the software that's available.

VR is rushed garbage, investors damn well better be in wait and see mode. It's worse than CGI before Pixar and you'd think somebody would've learned from all the other $300+ peripheral addons that have faded away - but nope content droughts ahoy.

What do you mean by that? The current iterations of consumer VR hardware were in development for over half a decade. If you mean the software side of it, well maybe in a sense you're right, but it was always going to be this way, imo. The software side was never going to match up with the platform's capabilities immediately. We've seen glimpses of what it can do, which is way beyond what the majority of shit out there does do.

spekkeh

Banned
Sorcery, Device 6, 868-Hack, the list goes on

That wasn't a very good analogy

The secret is that good gameplay and game design isn't limited by platform
None of these give a clearly superior experience to me, in fact, the majority I consider nothing more than time wasters. Of course, everyone's experience is different, and convenience is a large part of someone's experience. To the person I was responding to, obviously the inconvenience of VR is not a hurdle. To others, it is.

I know, I'm a professor in game design

yyr

If PSVR dropped to $199 today, they'd fly out of stores cause there are games for it.

No, I don't believe that they would. Consumer interest in PSVR (and VR in general) just isn't at that level. $199 is still a lot of money for a console peripheral...it's $50 more than X360 Kinect was.

Honestly, I think things like Cardboard and GearVR have hurt interest. Do you believe that anyone who got a GearVR and just has it collecting dust would go out and spend $200 on a similar device for their PS4?

RCSI

As I have said before, I DON'T think technology, lack of killer apps, or even cost are what's preventing VR from going mainstream. I think it's:

- the inconvenience of strapping a display to your face and losing vision of your surroundings

- motion sickness (and this is a REAL problem, I never got sick from roller coasters/planes/etc but some VR games made me horribly sick after 5-10 minutes)

- controlling a game by moving your head/neck/body around and pantomiming the actions is just plain inferior to controlling it with small twitches of your fingers

I honestly think VR is the next Kinect or 3D TV. It's one of those things people only THINK they want because it's a concept that is ingrained in our minds as "The Future".

First point is a barrier, until you show a user a good game that follows best VR practices. This nixes the second point assuming the game follows VR best practices. While undeniably there's games/demos which don't follow best practices and games that will always be a problem with VR. Third point is silly (see sports), and is the main focus for providing a good VR experience.

The barrier now is not the base technology (though it should always improve), but cost of entry and more quality content.

mckmas8808

To the person I was responding to, obviously the inconvenience of VR is not a hurdle. To others, it is.

I know, I'm a professor in game design

I understand that and respect it. But I haven't seen one AR application of a game that made it think, "I'd rather play that game that way". Like it's literally NEVER happened for me yet. Yet I see people say that it's the true end and VR is a waste of time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The key is going to be portable VR solutions. Gear VR is so much more convenient than the rift or Vive, it already dwarfs the installed vase too.

you mean google earth VR right?...right?

Don't know about that poster but I use oculus medium and Quill all the time.

spekkeh

Banned
I understand that and respect it. But I haven't seen one AR application of a game that made it think, "I'd rather play that game that way". Like it's literally NEVER happened for me yet. Yet I see people say that it's the true end and VR is a waste of time.
Yeah but at least when I say it, it's not because I think AR is better for gaming, but because it seems to be a natural progression for computing, and so gaming will just follow that.

(That alien invasion game for Hololens is pretty neat though)

mnannola

As a Vive owner, there is very little to look forward to over the next 6-12 months. The hardware is amazing, but the software leaves a lot to be desired. Where are the following:

1. Mech games
2. Sports games
3. Valve games - Half life 3 VR, Left 4 dead VR etc.
4. MMORPG games
5. Strategy games
6. Elite Dangerous competitors

The list goes on. If actual games don't get announced soon I will probably look to sell it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I expected it which is why i thought Sony going into PSVR was a waste of time of an investment compared to funding actual games and services. They wasted their time for something that, at best case scenario, is years too early for mainstream adoption.

In any case, i was never interested in such a concept. Call me a 'traditionalist' if you want.

Tumle

Not surprised.
High end headsets cost 6-700$ and even those offer a less than ideal experience, also you have the software that is borderline shovelware that lack on both the look (rendering stuff for VR is expensive yo) and the feel of being in another world.

VR could totally be a thing but there's still time before it will happen, AR is probably a safer bet right now.
if that is your take, on things.. I'm not sure you know how close we are to AR...
I'd say even people who are more interested in AR should be behind VR.
Because VR is the road that will lead to AR.. why not make a VR headset with two cameras on it for pass through.. the AR in that would be much better than the ghost images that Microsoft's headset would be able to produce

"As a Vive owner, there is very little to look forward to over the next 6-12 months. The hardware is amazing, but the software leaves a lot to be desired. Where are the following:"

1. Mechwarrior 5
3. Valve has 3 games in development, but lolValve.
4. MMORPGs are not the kind of games that pop up overnight
6. There are very few space sims, in general, regardless of VR.

I don't really see why AR is supposed to fare better. VR is at least theoretically interesting, even if I have some severe doubts the current VR tech will ever amount to anything without becoming something substantially different than what it is now. AR, on the other hand, I'm just not sure what an AR game that isn't shallow and gimmicky would even look like outside of an arcade context.

Again, thinking about this too much from a gaming perspective. AR has way more potential to be a mainstream (as in iPhone level) product, but it won't be because of gaming. I'd argue VR is and will always probably be better for gaming because of full immersion. I'm hard pressed to imagine a game that would be better in AR than VR that doesn't take advantage of your surroundings.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Honestly I feel like we're in the pre Ipod era of mp3s with VR. Bunch of companies trying to figure out which is the best way forward and of a sudden apple comes out with the simplest solution for the mass market. Same with the iPhone.

It's so early to tell what's going to happen

The headset requirement is going to be the biggest barrier to entry for the forseeable future. Moreso than price or lack of content or whatnot.

I think this fact continues to be understated in theae debates.

this is true. I know people who just couldn't get past the dorky headset.
I've passed by two VR arcades on two separate occasions. Both empty. There's a decent sized one in anaheim near Disneyland. Empty every time i pass it. Day or night.

I LOVED my time with VR. Owned a GEAR and PSVR.

Until Apple or Nintendo comes out with a new angle...

...it's not happening.

Yoda

The chicken before the egg really applies for VR imo. It needs solid games/apps to warrant the price, but it's price inhibits it's ability to have a large user-base, thus hampering it's ability to attract quality devs to create content for it.

For what it's worth, I've loved my time with PSVR, and Resident Evil 7 is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've had since consoles started pushing polygons. If I can get a handful more like that a year, I'll be fine.

Nothing will kill VR.
At worst the current iteration will phase out, but VR as a concept is so integral to the concept of entertainment and storytelling, that is actually, undoubtedly, the ending point of everything videogames and similar entertainment are trying to do, especially escapism based ones.

That said, as a big believer in VR, I'm actually disappointed by the slowness at which prices have gone down and technology improvements of the hardware.

I don't have anything eye opening to add, I just want to reiterate what others have said about the barrier to entry being too high. Also, it's not integral to any of those things seeing as those things have existed for literally millennia before VR, and there are plenty of forms of storytelling and entertainment that VR would actually take away from.

I know what you were trying to say though, and I still don't see it being the ending point of everything for the same reason it didn't explode right now. Spacial requirements, tech issues, and barriers to entry that pertain to specific people like motion sickness, etc.

I for one am shocked that a niche product is receiving less software funding

The chicken before the egg really applies for VR imo. It needs solid games/apps to warrant the price, but it's price inhibits it's ability to have a large user-base, thus hampering it's ability to attract quality devs to create content for it.
Pretty much a non sarcastic way I wanted to say it :p

mckmas8808

I expected it which is why i thought Sony going into PSVR was a waste of time of an investment compared to funding actual games and services. They wasted their time for something that, at best case scenario, is years too early for mainstream adoption.

In any case, i was never interested in such a concept. Call me a 'traditionalist' if you want.

You are a traditionalist. Nothing wrong with that. But Sony didn't waste their time. They are making a profit on PSVR. And it's only been out for 6 months.

The 3DS looks alot better now than it did within its first 6 months.

Sulik2

Headsets need to be cheaper and wireless before VR will take off. Its still an enthusiast product at this point.

Frozone

I think VR will die pretty quickly. There is just too much money being thrown at it for demos and commercials and yet people don't even own the hardware. The losses will be more dramatic this time next year.

AR on the other hand, I believe WILL succeed. However, it's a few years off from being cheap and perfected. It has a lot more uses and the bulkiness, wired connection and low resolution won't a problem like in VR. It will be the next big thing outside of mobile phones.

Top Bottom