• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - Welcome to Chicago Trailer

SJRB

Gold Member
Seems like they're talking about the entire game being repetitive. I'm just reading between the PR lines. But hey, I know what you're doing on May 27 (
image.php
) so I could see why you might be willfully obtuse.

"Seems like" is an assumption, and assumption is the mother of all fuckups. The only thing I see is you taking quotes from devs out of context to create your own truth and a false sense of concern to make the game seem worse than it is.

You literally said "The fact they had to send Watch_Dogs back to the drawing board for derivative, boring missions" based on absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure why, though.

That makes it sound incredibly meaningless... People will do it a few times, maybe get the inevitable achievement/trophy connected to the events and then get bored of the repetitive nature. Of course it's all according to the Ubisoft school of game design.

What else could they possibly do? Write unique content for a million people? That would be a amazing waste of money and man time.

Can't find "derivative, boring missions" anywhere in that part. "Repetitive" in that context refers to the way the AI reacted to events, as clearly indicated by the last line.

That's some fanboy level statement right there. First sentence in the article is how critical they are about the game not being fun, and that clearly implies boring missions.

The AI itself was put in context of a mission, where they stated in missions hacking just wasn't that fun because some AI couldn't be hacked. The conversation about the AI is a catalyst for the developers to springboard a discussion about other problems while putting some PR speak so they don't shit on their own game.

I'm still super excited for Watch Dogs, but reservations about quality is totally deserved until release.

Marcel

That's some fanboy level statement right there. First sentence in the article is how critical they are about the game not being fun, and that clearly implies boring missions.

The AI itself was put in context of a mission, where they stated in missions hacking just wasn't that fun because some AI couldn't be hacked. The conversation about the AI is a catalyst for the developers to springboard a discussion about other problems while putting some PR speak so they don't shit on their own game.

I'm still super excited for Watch Dogs, but reservations about quality is totally deserved until release.

I didn't want to say it but I'm glad someone else did, haha.

Keep in mind that I'm not cheering for this game to fail or anything. If the impressions are good, I'll likely buy it around release or at least on Black Friday as I've said many times. It's merely Ubisoft's poor handling of this situation that has not made me confident in the game and I'm clearly not alone on being more scrutinizing during this part of the atypical rah-rah positive video game hype cycle.

Ghoti

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to this; I'll be interested in reading the reviews and impressions closer to the end of May. The idea that NPCs are more than just faceless walking models is pretty cool and I wonder how online play ties into it.

As far as the graphics go, I just don't see a reason to worry about it. The game looks good based on that trailer, it's hard to judge quality without seeing it live on a 1080p screen with everything turned to max. I would reserve judgement until seeing it in person. Besides, while I have sat and stared at the water in GTA V several times, the gameplay is what brought me there, so hopefully the game wins out over any graphical issues.

riflen

In and of itself there is nothing wrong with this statement but in the context of Watch_Dogs I am not seeing how the game is poorly textured, lifeless or lacks atmosphere. Are the graphics as good as the 2012 e3 debut. No, but it still looks fantastic to me and everyone knows I am a GIGANTIC graphic whore.

I still love to *play* games though, and in terms of open world games, this one looks to be on of the best looking and interesting ones out there, IMO.

Oh you misunderstand. I don't think Watch_Dogs will be any of those things. I'm looking forward to the PC build. I was simply trying to explain the to the poster why people might hold 'graphics' to be very important in an open world game.

Jagsrock

Banned
The animations looked good but the graphics themselves seem like a mixed bag. some of the details are nice but man does the lighting looks flat and those trees look terrible. Still i'm mildly interested but I can't really see myself picking this up right away. Also i'm still worried the whole "hacking" thing will get repetitive fast.

Looks just like the kind of cross-generation game we got at the start of last generation: A last-gen game at its core with a few next-gen effects pasted on top for the nextgen versions.

Stuff like Tomb Raider: Legend and Just Cause 1 come to mind as being like that during the switch from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3.

Muffdraul

Muffdraul, why in the hell would you want a world when gamers are kept even more in the dark ...

It's quite simple. What you don't know can't hurt you. Maybe you're just more inured to disappointment than I am.

All I want is world where what you see is what you get... which is basically how it was until relatively recently. Yes, as a gamer I too glean plenty of joy from being blown away by reveals and previews. Like when Mario 64 was revealed for the first time. When MGS2 was revealed for the first time. Like when FFVII was revealed for the first time. Those were all great moments.

But the reason I still look back on them as great moments is because the final games delivered and even surpassed what I thought I'd be getting.

Then there are the other ones. The Halo 2 E3 2003 live demo. The early Bioshock Infinite footage. Now Watch Dogs. The fun of the awesome previews doesn't really endure as a good memory when the game turns out to be so much less than they showed you. Developers tend to keep their shit under wraps for a long time. I don't have a problem with some of the less patient ones learning to keep them under there for a little longer.

GHG

Well, we'll see. Logically, I doubt the PC version will be much better. Because based on my experience with Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous SS, it looks to me like they could have gotten the PS4 version a lot closer to the original reveal than they did. The logical conclusion is the reason they didn't is cross gen developement, closing the gap between the last gen and current gen versions. Using the current gen version as the master build, and then being forced to dumb it down as needed for the last gen ports. If that's what hampered the PS4 version, it's going to hamper the PC version as well. Unless the had a completely separate team developing a completely separate version for PC in tandem, and not doing any porting whatsoever. Very doubtful.

Firstly second son and shadowfall are different types of games to watch dogs, so there's a reason why the graphical fidelity will differ. Secondly, those are exclusive games where all of the resources are dedicated to making a ps4 game. That clearly isn't the case with watch dogs. We are not even comparing apples to apples here so drawing comparisons and then saying "well watch dogs ought to look like game xxxx" is pointless.

With regards to scaling up from consoles that is wrong and purely speculation on your part:

One of the reasons that's true is because development on Watch Dogs actually started for the PC first.

"When we started developing, the PS3 existed, the Xbox 360 existed, and we kind of suspected, maybe, there might be other platforms eventually," he said. "So, because we thought that would happen we chose the PC as our first target to have when we started developing Watch Dogs so that we have the flexibility to adapt to a different platform. So we were able to support 360 and PS3, but we could scale up with other platforms and to other video in the meantime, which we now know is the case. So PC has always been around for us. Sometimes it's a last-minute port of sorts. For us, it's been around since we started."

Development shifted to the next-gen consoles once the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, and then in the last eight months or so a dedicated team returned to the PC to hammer out the final details of that platform's version of the game, he said.

"So we end up having the best of both worlds basically," he said. "We're able to have good usability on PC and on console."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474064/watch-dogs-pc-ps3-ps4-xbox-360-xbox-one-release-date

The idea of game development starting on high-spec PCs before being transferred over to console hardware is an interesting set-up that is becoming more popular as the similarities between the two formats become progressively closer on a technical level. The use of scalable game engines and x86 hardware in both next-gen consoles and PC allows developers to target top-of-the-line systems to push real-time 3D graphics rendering further than before, and they then have the ability to customise visual quality when engineering the game to run on console hardware - a route that many next-gen multi-platform developers are actively going down in order to provide a smoother cross-platform development experience.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-watch-dogs-on-ps4-tech-analysis

I really wish people would do some research instead of spreading bullshit around this game just because that seems like the cool thing to do on here. I don't even understand how you came to the conclusion that the 360/ps3 were the lead platforms considering we have pretty much seen 0 footage from those versions.

At this point we are at a stage where people are pretty much making things up about this game to suit their agendas despite all of the information that's readily available to everyone.

I'm so goddamned sick of this argument. It was revealed at the Sony PlayStation press conference. It is literally implied that it is running (or will look as good on) a Sony platform, unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Edit: After research, I was wrong. I remembered incorrectly and retract my statement :)

No problem. A little bit of research never hurt anybody :) .

boeso

It's quite simple. What you don't know can't hurt you. Maybe you're just more inured to disappointment than I am.

All I want is world where what you see is what you get... which is basically how it was until relatively recently. Yes, as a gamer I too glean plenty of joy from being blown away by reveals and previews. Like when Mario 64 was revealed for the first time. When MGS2 was revealed for the first time. Like when FFVII was revealed for the first time. Those were all great moments.

But the reason I still look back on them as great moments is because the final games delivered and even surpassed what I thought I'd be getting.

Then there are the other ones. The Halo 2 E3 2003 live demo. The early Bioshock Infinite footage. Now Watch Dogs. The fun of the awesome previews doesn't really endure as a good memory when the game turns out to be so much less than they showed you. Developers tend to keep their shit under wraps for a long time. I don't have a problem with some of the less patient ones learning to keep them under there for a little longer.

Ahh man I completely feel this post. We know too much! Expectations - reality = disappointment.

The more I see of it, the more I like. I thought it was a great trailer, hopefully the game holds up. Come May I reckon I will be finished with Infamous and Dark Souls, so this is good timing.

Muffdraul

Firstly second son and shadowfall are different types of games to watch dogs, so there's a reason why the graphical fidelity will differ. Secondly, those are exclusive games where all of the resources are dedicated to making a ps4 game. That clearly isn't the case with watch dogs. We are not even comparing apples to apples here so drawing comparisons and then saying "well watch dogs ought to look like game xxxx" is pointless.

With regards to scaling up from consoles that is wrong and purely speculation on your part:

I really wish people would do some research instead of spreading bullshit around this game just because that seems like the cool thing to do on here. I don't even understand how you came to the conclusion that the 360/ps3 were the lead platforms considering we have pretty much seen 0 footage from those versions.

At this point we are at a stage where people are pretty much making things up about this game to suit their agendas despite all of the information that's readily available to everyone.

Fair enough. Whatever. I'm not changing my mind about wishing developers would let their games cook longer before revealing them to the public.

The lack of parallax mapping is really bumming me out on this game. You can tell a lot of the texture work was designed around the depth it added. Hell it was still present in last years demo's so its removal would have probably been a pretty recent downgrade.

Now everything just looks so flat without it.

TalonJH

I'm from Chicago and this doesn't feel like the area at all. Looks way too sterilized. Also, there are seemingly mountains or valleys of some sort. Chicago is almost completely flat.
That's how they get away with fewer invisible walls and not having to render too far outside of the city I would guess.

TalonJH

Some of that trailer "looks" pretty bad and the "spider slayer" tells me it may get a little more sci-fi but I don't really care. I will be picking up Watch Dogs the day of release. Just to see how it turns out at the least.

Nydius

After watching the trailer a few more times, I'm really torn. The trailer goes on and on about the viability of hacking and how it will completely manipulate gameplay, but they only show tiny examples, like using your phone as a remote detonation device. They don't show any meaningful hacking in the trailer, at all. There's a lot of GTA style gun play, lots of generic open-city-with-cars gameplay, and plenty of interesting ambiance shots but I didn't walk away feeling like hacking is as a deep an element of gameplay as the trailer claims.

cripterion

It's funny, the graphics and the scope don't strike me as better than the bullshot trailers for GTA V. It surely looks downgraded. Yet the multiplayer elements could show some promise, hope it won't turn out to be another GTA online...

GHG

Fair enough. Whatever. I'm not changing my mind about wishing developers would let their games cook longer before revealing them to the public.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. However, when that opinion is based on fabrication/fantasy rather than facts then you've got to question it.

The only thing we can do at this stage is wait, no point in speculating and making things up just for the sake of shitting on the game. It's pretty clear the PS4 version won't look like e3 2012, but the fact is, there is a big difference between a gtx 680 PC and the ps4 hardware in terms of power and capability. You also need to take into account that they never said that was the ps4 version and said it was running on a high end PC the whole time. If the PC version didn't really exist and it was only coming out on consoles then yes, all of this hullabaloo would be warranted... But that simply isn't the case here. The PC version will be the real acid test.

R_Deckard

No problem. A little bit of research never hurt anybody :) .
But all the footage shown thus far including the recent trailer is on ps4, the PC version will be THE SAME game with minor tweaks. The ps3 and 360 where not the lead platform but they are the anchor go the game, nothing in WD 1 will not run on an 8 year old machine with 512kb of ram.

Add bits, improve pretty but in the end the last gen machines that were factored in for sales have held this game back on all levels.

That said I still think this game looks quality for a first gen x platform/x generation game!

Kitty

Banned
The hate for this game and UBI is quite sad and pathetic to be honest.

When reading lots of posts here I cringe.

MMaRsu

Banned
Meh @ this game. The graphics are nothing special, knowing Ubisoft the game will be padded to hell with useless stuff to do as well. It looks nothing like the e3 2012 demo. Ubisoft can try again in two years with a real watch_dogs game that looks like the e3 2012 game. I wont be purchasing this, im not even slightly hyped for it.

What else could they possibly do? Write unique content for a million people? That would be a amazing waste of money and man time.

Of course not, I simply don't see it as an amazing feature as is. Some randomized content creation is not as complex a system as people make it out to be.

Top Bottom