• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Seven PC teaser trailer (XSEED, Summer 2017, HD 60FPS)

b6qDwE5.jpg

Trailer
Gematsu

Non-spoiler trailer, focusing on combat and exploration. Steam page isn't up yet; GOG release has been confirmed on stream (as usual with Falcom "PC" releases from XSEED).

For those out of the loop: XSEED had a stream last Friday to showcase another Falcom ARPG, Zwei: Ilvard Insurrection (which you should definitely check out), and they surprise announced a brand-new, contracted PC port of Ys Seven with upscaled graphics (and redrawn UI elements), 60 FPS at new resolution options, and a touched-up script. Keep in mind that this was a 2009 PSP game developed by around 30 people, and that Joyoland, the Chinese PC developer which did a previous PC port of Ys Seven, was unable to get HD assets.

Some PR screens provided today (click for HD):

UPDATE: Tom @ XSEED's providing some more details on the port's graphics quality:

http://www.xseedgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/ys-vii-pc-port-announced-for-summer-release.29301/page-3#post-951450 said:
We tried a few upscaling options, but they looked kind of... bad. I think they might still be available as a togglable option in the game's launcher, though I'm not 100% sure on that. Even if they are available, though, they will be defaulting to off for reasons which will become apparent should anyone enable them. ;)

(And procedural upscaling is really the only solution there, as those are the textures that exist -- there do not exist any higher-res versions we can work with, sadly.)

It's actually kind of fascinating looking at the PC version's textures, as some of them are naturally quite high-res, while others aren't. The port overall looks much better than the PSP version, though, if only for the character models, which are noticeably higher-res and more detailed across the board.

-Tom

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Seven gets a lot of undeserved hate, but whatever. I loved the game, and I look forward to this. Haven't played through it in a good 6 years now, so it's definitely time to revisit it. Trailer looks great, considering the PSP origins.

Danny Dudekisser

YESS

(although I've still never played the vita copy of Celceta I have stuck in my PSTV)

With all the Falcom games getting ported to PC right now, I probably wouldn't bother with Celceta on Vita. I've never seen a game that runs so poorly on that system.

KHlover

Banned
Will buy because it's a Ys game, but compared to Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana I found it to be pretty underwhelming.

XSEED just uploaded a YouTube archive of the Twitch stream for Zwei II and then the Ys Seven PC announcement. Definitely give that a watch, though bear in mind the stream dropped frames let and right (possibly because of EVO strain on Twitch).

In my veins! Do we have an exact date?! Day one!
No release date announced, just a release period. It's kind of nuts we're getting 4 PC releases from them this summer, so I hope we get info sooner than later.

How same treatment for nayuta no kiseiki pls.
Depends on sales, but I have a hunch we're getting an official English localization of Nayuta in the near-future.

Tonton

Depends on sales, but I have a hunch we're getting an official English localization of Nayuta in the near-future.

I really doubt XSEED would bother with a Kiseki spin off in name only when they're struggling to bring the main games west
Specially when they'd need to contract a port for it to even happen on top of the localization work

Tohsaka

I really doubt XSEED would bother with a Kiseki spin off in name only when they're struggling to bring the main games west
Specially when they'd need to contract a port for it to even happen on top of the localization work

I'd hope they wouldn't waste the resources on it before Zero/Ao. Nayuta is a good game, but the main series should be in English before a spinoff.

Noogy

Hah, and I had just recently started getting pretty deep into Seven on Vita for the first time. Really enjoying it, but yeah it'd be nice at 60fps.

Blue-kun

Clearly they should ask Falcom to let them rename it to Zwei: <Nayuta something> and bank on Zwei 2's release.

Game is so heavily inspired by Zwei, anyway!

Tonton

For the new thread: when does Summer end?
I believe it's September 22

I'd hope they wouldn't waste the resources on it before Zero/Ao. Nayuta is a good game, but the main series should be in English before a spinoff.
Yeah, maybe if it was a game that was rather light on text I could understand but I don't think that is the case for Nayuta

Clearly they should ask Falcom to let them rename it to Zwei: <Nayuta something> and bank on Zwei 2's release.

Game is so heavily inspired by Zwei, anyway!
That's assuming Zwei 2 won't bomb just like Xanadu Next leaving nothing they could capitalize on :p

Danny Dudekisser

So, they've got Trails of Cold Steel (just the first one for Summer, right?), Zwei II, and Ys Seven all slated for summer. Guess it's probably:

July: Cold Steel
August: Zwei II
September: Ys Seven

Zwei II's likelier to get pushed into September than Ys Seven, just because Seven has to compete with NISA's release of Ys VIII very soon.

Yeah, I keep underestimating the text size for Nayuta, which isn't as large as Tokyo Xanadu but still more than Celceta. We'll see though.

That's assuming Zwei 2 won't bomb just like Xanadu Next leaving nothing they could capitalize on :p
Zwei II has natural market advantages Xanadu Next lacked (the biggest one being that Zwei II's never had a widely-circulated English translation patch to compete against). So if XSEED at least markets and does a release countdown on social media, it's going to do better already. They've likely profited from Xanadu Next already since it was a real low-key project and Tom had done some of the work right before joining XSEED.

EricB

Seven gets a lot of undeserved hate, but whatever. I loved the game, and I look forward to this. Haven't played through it in a good 6 years now, so it's definitely time to revisit it. Trailer looks great, considering the PSP origins.

I wouldn't exactly call it hate; it just had a great deal to live up to. None of the polygon-based games are as fun as VI-Oath-Origins in my opinion, but I am looking forward to replaying this and VIII in 60fps. Hopefully I will see the games in a new light.

Blue-kun

I'm glad this is happening at all, but

this UI is rough in HD. Vertical alignment is off on most of the text, there's visible texture seams, and there's half a dozen different fonts in use. Needs a polish pass badly.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The way the skill names show up on top of the screen when you use them also seems off, like they're aligned to the left and it looks not very professional, plus the whole <there's a lot of fonts being used here and it's a mess>.

But well, I'm assuming they've got time to sort that kind of thing out before the game comes out. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it'd be neat to have these details ironed out, at least...

UI definitely needs some tuning, but it's decent even so. I wouldn't have noticed texture seams and the highlight box not aligning correctly because it's not consequential to me. And a few of those fonts are baked in because they're original image assets, though we could always redraw them if the game's moddable.

Tizoc

6 FALCOM GAMES IN THE SAME YEAR
6 FALCOM GAMES
Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter
Zwei II
Ys Seven
Tokyo Xanadu
Ys 8
Trails of Cold Steel 1

May the Year of Falcom never end ToT

Danny Dudekisser

6 FALCOM GAMES IN THE SAME YEAR
6 FALCOM GAMES
Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter
Zwei II
Ys Seven
Tokyo Xanadu
Ys 8
Trails of Cold Steel 1

May the Year of Falcom never end ToT

Cold steel 2 PC is still this year, isn't it? Which would make 7.

I don't know why falcom is having such a banner year all of a sudden, but I love it.

Aeana

Looks more consistent than the Joyoland port.

These results have me hopeful for an eventual Nayuta port, which I think would be neat. Not holding my breath, though. I think we'd all appreciate any future PSP porting efforts being directed at Zero/Ao anyway.

Blue-kun

I hope not. With how good VIII is supposed to be and how much Seven is disparaged here, it'll be a better idea to play Seven first. I guess I could just play the PSP version if VIII does release first though.

I think Seven suffers less from being played after VIII than Celceta does, to be fair. Seven was a more straightforward game, it didn't really try to play up the "explore and fill out this huge map" card that Celceta introduced and VIII mastered, so I think it still holds up a bit better when directly compared.

Not only that, Seven's also got a more engaging story (than Celceta), and some of the most iconic bosses in the series in its 2nd half, something that even VIII doesn't quite reach. I don't mean mechanically, but how they're hyped throughout the game and tie into the plot. I actually like that about Seven quite a bit. In hindsight, it's probably due to the aforementioned straightforward nature of the game, but yeah, I hope more people end up loving some of the fights as much as I did :)

As someone who has never played a single Ys game ever, would this one be a good jumping in point?

It's a pretty decent starting point (personally, I think the best starting point is the Oath in Felghana). Ys has a generally great and smooth quality to it and it's not really hard to just jump in into pretty much any of the games aside perhaps the earliest games because Bump attacking is weird.

I think Seven suffers less from being played after VIII than Celceta does, to be fair. Seven was a more straightforward game, it didn't really try to play up the "explore and fill out this huge map" card that Celceta introduced and VIII mastered, so I think it still holds up a bit better when directly compared.

Not only that, Seven's also got a more engaging story (than Celceta), and some of the most iconic bosses in the series in its 2nd half, something that even VIII doesn't quite reach. I don't mean mechanically, but how they're hyped throughout the game and tie into the plot. I actually like that about Seven quite a bit. In hindsight, it's probably due to the aforementioned straightforward nature of the game, but yeah, I hope more people end up loving some of the fights as much as I did :)

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to playing a lot of Ys (and Falcom in general) later this year.

Danny Dudekisser

As someone who has never played a single Ys game ever, would this one be a good jumping in point?

It's where I started, and I'm a huge fan of the series now. So, I'd say yes.

Though, I will note that this game takes maybe 30 minutes to get going. You'll have to run around the town and talk to people, and I almost gave up on the game because I had a sneaking suspicion that it was just going to be another wannabe JRPG on the PSP. Noooope. As soon as I left town, it was awesome, and stayed awesome..

Will buy because it's a Ys game, but compared to Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana I found it to be pretty underwhelming.
Ditto. On both counts.

Maybe I can appreciate it more now that my initial disappointment with it has passed, and my expectations are no longer there.

Espada

I will be returning to this bad motherfucker as soon as it releases. One of my favorite RPGs on the PSP getting a very nice upgrade. I've already let quite a few of my friends know this is a game to pick up.

Tizoc

Wonder if we can mod this...you never know when someone could get the models prettied up somehow :p

Top Bottom