• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

songs have been slowly catching up to gangnam style for years now due to more and more people listening to music on youtube.
it's like titanic and the growing international boxoffice, sooner or later someone would've caught up but then avatar happened.

Pastry

Banned
The song is on the radio like every three songs here. Probably the hit of the summer? At least in areas that have a Hispanic population.

Pickman

Literally had never heard this song until I watched this video. I get that I don't roll in the same circles as the demographic of this music, but that just seems odd to not experience something so insanely popular out in the wild.

Lulubop

I don't get the appeal, but if it works for people more power to them.

Girls love it, it's fun to dance to, catchy, fun to try and sing a long to, upbeat. I mean, it's just a fun song, nothing really deep here bro.

Dunno what Bailando has to do with anything. Plenty of good Latin stuff comes out all the time.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I despise the fucking shit out of Despacito.

And yes, Bailando was leagues better.

Literally had never heard this song until I watched this video. I get that I don't roll in the same circles as the demographic of this music, but that just seems odd to not experience something so insanely popular out in the wild.

That's how I feel. I've never even heard of this. I gotta get more friends or something.

Pastry

Banned
For people that haven't heard this song, where do you live?

In Texas it's on literally every radio station and I've heard it in stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Netherlands here, this is the first time i've ever heard the song.

To be fair, I don't listen to radio or watch a lot of TV. But still.

Ivan 3414

Crazy how much it blew up. Who would have thought Daddy Yankee would be relevant in 2017?

Eh I'm not surprised. Large American interest + large Latin American interest will lead to numbers like this

There's plenty of Latin music videos with tens, even hundreds of millions of views that never blew up in the US/Europe.

Never heard of either of these.

Understandably, I don't understand the lyrics like with Gangnam Style, but the selling point of that was the beat was great, the lyrics were actually really catchy even though I didn't know what most of them meant, and the video was fantastic and came with a little dance everybody could do.

This video looks and sounds generic as hell.

Quonny

I really don't understand why this song is so popular. It isn't bad, but it has a very generic sound and the music video is so bland.

It is a terrible song, but it goes to show how much Europe and NA need the fuego latino to have fun. I can't imagine living my whole life only dancing those terrible hip hop/edm songs. No one deserves that.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I really don't understand why this song is so popular. It doesn't sound bad, but it has a very generic sound and the music video is so bland.

Music video is awesome. It's set in Puerto Rico within La Perla neighborhood. People playing dominoes, the colors, the ocean, it's great!

Davidion

I live in a huge Latino neighborhood. Definitely *heard* Despacito around but not that much; Bailando was seemingly much bigger.

Out of all the reggaeton songs that have come out in the past 5 years, this bland ass song is the one that made it big. I feel like an old man yelling at a cloud, I don't get it

This is my first time listening to it...

...Thats the most mid-2000s sounding song I've ever heard that didn't take place in the mid-2000s.
It's not bad, it's just really bland.

janoDX

Actually, this is a pop song done right, it has mass appeal and a catchy beat.

I don't like it, but I recognize it. Fonsi finally got his worldwide break.

Huh, so that was that song. I thought I might been tuned into the one of the the Spanish speaking radio stations, but nope, but like Gungnam Style it just transends that language barrier with its catchyness.

Top Bottom