• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: Aisle seats are the best seats on planes

kottila

Edit: special screw you to the couples that book one seat in the window, and the other the aisle seat in the same row and spend the whole flight talking to each other through you and passing shit to each other while you ride middle seat.

That's a great idea, I prefer aisle, but my gf loves the window seat. This way we both get what we want without compromising!

Kinyou

klm-stewardess-pushing-a-cart-through-an-airplane-CXCFRR.jpg
Look at that smiling teen there in the backrow. That's the power of the window seat.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
like to take a piss on a flight aisle seats are best for getting up when i want.

for sleeping on a plane. the window is the best.

I'd rather people bother me when they need to get up than have to bother others when I need to get up. That and I can stretch my legs more. I choose aisle every time.

Danielsan

I prefer window seats.

- You don't have to get up for 2 fucking people when they need to go the bathroom
- You don't get bumped by people, the stupid cart and annoying little kids
- You can rest your head against the window to get some sleep
- You can look out the window
- Only one person sitting next to you reduces odds of unwanted contact

SpecX

klm-stewardess-pushing-a-cart-through-an-airplane-CXCFRR.jpg
[/SPOILER]

And the aisle is still the best seat.
Poor guy sleeping on the left. Has no clue what's coming his way while he rests. That elbow is about to be shattered.

On a side note, just checked in for my flight tomorrow and they upgraded me to a aisle seat in first class. I said fuck that shit and changed it to an open window seat further back.

No, best seat is the one you change to moments before checking in your luggage that still has an empty seat next to it.

Pick only if of 3 seats 2 are free and one of them is the middle seat. Also as far back as possible.
Makes it more likely to stay free.

There. 2 seats for you on your 12 hour flight.

Replicant

Obviously. More leg room, don't have to hold your pee, and less headache/ear problem during landing.

You may sacrifice a little bit of sleep when someone wants to get out to toilet but it's better than being cooped up in the middle or windows seats.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
If I'm flying long haul I drink a ton of water while in flight because the recycled air really dries my skin out (and I find it helps fight jet lag to be hydrated).

So on long haul flights I always take the aisle seat (or exit row) because I am that person getting up constantly to go pee. It's partially out of consideration for the other passengers, and partially for my own convenience.

With claustrophobia, poor leg circulation and a social phobia to ask people to get up to move (specially if they are sleeping), aisle is a godsend I'm never ever locking myself on a window seat for a long journey.

Rorschach

Window seat all the way. I usually don't have to get up too often. I might force myself to get up when the aisle person gets up, but that's only on 12+ hr flights. On domestic flights, it's not even a question. You have the window to look out of and rest your pillow on, no one is going to interrupt your movies, and you won't get woken up because your foot/elbow spilled into the aisle and the cart has to come through.

I'm 6 feet tall or greater and I prefer a window seat by far
Then you must be a masochist.

As I write this from an airport, sitting in the aisle seat is the only seat I can even use because no matter the flight, some ass will recline their seat back directly on my knees. This means I either have to deal with my knees actively fighting this person's reclining or I have to lose this battle and deal with contorting myself to get in and out of my seat. In the aisle seat, I can at least get my legs out into the aisle. If I were in the window seat, I'd have no place to put my legs and it just becomes an exercise in tolerance and confinement.

No thanks.

wedca

For this thread to have more depth people should all post their heights, it has gotta skew aisle for taller folks (I'm 6'+ and all about the aisle.)

I notice a lot of people look at getting up to let people past as a negative part of the aisle experience but I think it rules. Sitting for hours is not good for your health and it is fun to stand up and experience the movement of the plane for short bursts.

My biggest complaint with the aisle is all the people walking past who are unable to keep their balance without putting a hand on the seat back. A lot of them really press on it and it moves the seat and is annoying! It is even easier to balance by putting your hand on the overhead compartment so it isn't even a good approach to the problem!

My sneaky tip is that if you get seated before the other people on your row and you want the window shade to be closed just do it! A lot of times the window sitter won't readjust it or they'll open the shade and realize it is stupidly bright and close it again. "60% of the time, it works every time."

Tigress

When I was younger I used to think window seats are where it's at. I loved looking out the window and seeing the world.

Well, the world isn't doing it for me anymore, and I'm cranky and old. Aisle seats are now the way.

Pros:

- You can get up and not have to ask other people to excuse you
- First one up and out when the flight lands, which also means first access to the bins
- Massively reduced claustrophobia
- Not as much social overhead with people
- Easy to flag down flight attendants

Cons:

- Occasionally get bumped/crop-dusted on by people and carts going down the aisle
- Can't see shit out the windows

Surely everyone will be in 100% agreement with me on this.

Nope. I like having my corner to be in and my window. And I try not to have to get up anyways. besides, why do you want everyone to agree with you? That just means more competition for your beloved aisle seats. Come to think of it, everyone else should agree with you and leave me my pick of window seats!

Cepheus

I haven't been on a plane for a few years but I pretty much always have to go aisle because I'm the tallest in my family.

I don't really fly (ever) but I'm definitely a window seat person for trains.

Which works out fairly well because everyone else seems to prefer aisles.

The advantage of Aisle to Window increase proportionally to the distance of the flight.

Shorter flights like St. Louis to Kansas City: Windows are more enjoyable as they actually let you distract yourself for pretty much the entire duration of the flight.

Longer flights like New York to London: Aisle seats, because who wants to see nothing but the color blue in every direction for 6+ hours...

As a tall man I need the legroom an aisle seat can provide. The window seat can be cool and all but if you're always flying between the same destinations the thrill wears off.

The secret best seats are actually the emergency exit row.You get the cool flip up tray that comes out of the armrest. Maximum legroom. People look to you for safety and you give them a confidant nod, instant hero.

Wiped89

Sure, UNLESS! You are trying to sleep. If you take an early morning flight and you've been up all night, the window seat means you can lean your head against the window/wall and get some vital sleep.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The best seats for me are the middle ones. I never have to get up to go to the bathroom, and sitting in the middle I don't get disturbed by anyone who does.

Catdaddy

I prefer window seats.

- You don't have to get up for 2 fucking people when they need to go the bathroom
- You don't get bumped by people, the stupid cart and annoying little kids
- You can rest your head against the window to get some sleep
- You can look out the window
- Only one person sitting next to you reduces odds of unwanted contact

Yep – add in people with carry on slinging it around and/or trying to shove it in the overhead right above you with their crotch in your face.
When travelling alone for business I’ve always been bothered when in an aisle seat, at the window I just turn toward the window to read/sleep if I’m being bothered.

I’ve never understood the whole getting off the plane first thing, if your connecting you’ll run off just to wait for the next flight and it’s not like whoever gets to baggage claim first gets their bags first.

Window.
If in the aisle, you always get bumped by people going to and fro and also disturbed by the idiots beside you with teeny tiny bladders.

12 flights in the last 18 months at about 6-7 hours a flight. Never needed the toilet once.
Let me at the window, let me curl up away from the the rest of the dolts and settle in until we land.

Getting a whole row to yourself is superior tho.

As a frequent flyer, aisle seats are easily the worst. On a lot of planes, you will get noticeable less foot space (sometimes half the space even) and constantly get smacked by the food cart or the flight attendants.

Easily the worst seat on the plane.

Edit: special screw you to the couples that book one seat in the window, and the other the aisle seat in the same row and spend the whole flight talking to each other through you and passing shit to each other while you ride middle seat.

My GF and I do this with the hope if the flight isn't full people will hesitate to buy the middle seat.

If someone does take it, she'll offer them the aisle seat and move to the middle next to me at the window.

geomon

Truth. Especially as a tall man, it's nice to stretch out at least one leg every now and then during a long flight.

bionic77

Besides exit row and first class, sure.
In the 90s I could always get an exit row seat just by getting there early and asking for it.

Now they done gone and messed up the system and it seems to be reserved just for the elderly and/or whoever gets there last.

I liked the old system better. Flying in an exit row is often better than first class on some of the shit cans that fly US domestic.

Carbonox

I learned this truth of life as well. I used to always go for window seats so I can rest my head against the side but most of the time the seating position meant I couldn't rest it anywhere but through the window slot which obviously isn't comfortable. Then there was the pain of getting out of the aisle unless I had a row to myself.

Then I thought fuck it let's go for an aisle seat with the toilet behind and it was bliss. Never looked back since.

When I would fly from Newark to Charlotte they tended to fly us on these small commuter jets that were 1 by 2 seating arrangements.

I would always pick the lone seat by it self every time. It's a WINDOW AND AISLE SEAT ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

vypek

I prefer the window. My next flight I'm taking I'll be in the middle though. Only because I bought the window seat for someone I'm traveling with though. Otherwise I try to get closer to the front of the plane and get the window seat.

nitewulf

Of course, who the fuck disagrees? . I think as children we all prefer window seats but that novelty goes away pretty quick. Aisle seats are way more roomy, bathroom is a lot more accessible.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Any seat in the emergency exit row is the best. Dat legroom.
That one.

Flightguru is your friend and if you're able to scope out the best seats it's always handy.

Admittedly I rarely book my own flights as I fly with work but our admin department know their stuff and usually get us seats with more legroom than usual.

I'm not fussed about the aisle or window seat as the flights I use are usually short but for longer flights I would value the ability to get up without having to go through people.

Top Bottom