• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Afro

witness_v8_ready7iuev.png

General Info

· Release Dates:
PS4 & Windows: Jan 26 | Xbox One: Sep 13 | iOS: TBD​
· Price: $39.99 / €36.99 / £29.99
· 900p / 60fps on PS4

Humble Store (10% of the price goes to the Against Malaria Foundation.)

Steam | Teaser | Jonathan Blow Interview | 8-Year Dev Timeline | Voice Actors

Q&A (Spoiler-Free)

Q: Seriously though, what are these puzzles all about? (Very, very mild spoiler in this answer.)
Polygon said:
Each puzzle introduces an idea that will be needed to solve other puzzles throughout the world. Puzzles involve tracing a path through designs embedded on panels scattered throughout the game. Some puzzles may require looking through a web of broken branches to determine the correct tracing path, or knowing that black and white colored tiles must be separated. Later panel puzzles will be used to do more complicated things, like operate machinery and open doors. Players must determine this on their own; there is no verbal communication during the game.
Q: What if I get stuck?
Polygon said:
Blow has embraced non-linear design. When a player gets stuck in any particular area, they have the freedom to run to a different area, a different set of puzzles, and try to solve those instead.

Q: VR Compatibility?
A: Yes. VR compatibility on PC, no support for PSVR. Don't shoot the messenger.

Q: Physical boxed release?
A: No.

Q: Got any more words of wisdom from the almighty prophet Jonathan Blow?
I try to make puzzles in The Witness as simple as they can be. You just don't get it. It's not only that you don't get it, but you don't feel like there's anything to tell you how to get it. It's as much of a brick wall as possible, with no red herrings or anything. So eventually, when you manage to stick your head through that brick wall and see what's past it, it's the most magical. I'm designing to optimize the experience of having those miniature epiphanies over and over again.

Review Thread

Kotaku:
A meditative masterpiece of virtual architecture and puzzle design.

VideoGamer:
I'm so caught up inside the world of The Witness that it's hard to think about anything else. It is one of the best games I've ever encountered.

Telegraph:
The Witness is a game that will genuinely have you punching the air or laughing out loud, just from correctly drawing a line on a grid. If that isn’t the mark of a truly special game, I don’t know what is.

GameSpot:
In both structure and detail, The Witness is an original, difficult, and ultimately rewarding puzzle game.

Hardcore Gamer:
Asking The Witness to be a traditional video game is essentially asking the impossible.

IGN:
The Witness has a power and pull that carried me throughout the more than 40 hours it took to complete it for the first time, and that, even now, beckons me back to confront the mysteries I left unsolved.

PCWorld:
The Witness has taken hold of my brain, both waking and sleeping.

We Got This Covered:
The Witness is not only a masterpiece of game design, but one that truly inspires and amazes, without relying on traditional tutorials or restrictive hand-holding.

PlayStation LifeStyle:
It’s a brilliant, beautiful, masterfully crafted work, and the more you discover, the more apparent it is.

Eurogamer Podcast #1:
You learn how to learn during this game.

Destructoid:
Don't go to The Witness. Let The Witness come to you...

I bought a PS4 at launch specifically for N++ and The Witness.

Now, over two years later, my purchase is finally almost warranted.

(Great OP, great title)

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Was gonna hold off but lord knows I'm a sucker for hype. I see one 10/10 review even if it's from BiogamergirlU or whatever and I'm there minute one.

Amazing title. For the people just now joining us in our wait:
me said:
@Jonathan_Blow Can you tell us when The Witness will be out in the EU? Are we getting it 00:00 EST 26/01, or do we have to wait for the US?
Jonathan Blow said:
@Sephiroth_VII I believe release on Europe PSN is simultaneous with US PSN, or is supposed to be, but given that these are both big technical systems with lots of stuff happening on both sides, I dunno what that means in reality!
IOW, don't expect it to be out at 00:00 in your timezone.

8 years in the making and less than 24 hours to go

Don't have classes tomorrow, so I got a good 8 hours to dedicate to The Witness.

maxcriden

Thanks, really appreciate it. Had this avatar for years.

It's my pleasure, and I remember you did, so I'm glad the game is finally coming to fruition for you. I'll be vicariously enjoying it through you and everyone else here till I get a PS4.

Fireblend

Banned
Great OP. I think I may be joining in the fun sooner than expected. I doubt I'll be able to resist all those glowing reviews, and I did cancel my Paper Jam preorder the other day...

Top Bottom