• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

I still don't know what Undertale is even about.

Great game to go in blind. Unfortunately it's been hijacked by a rabid fanbase and those who hate the game because they hate the fanbase.

Thankfully LISA never had that problem, but that game deserves more popularity as well.

Joeku

It's about memes

The problem is that memes aren't made by the game, they're made by the audience. What's in the game we refer to as jokes. I don't blame anyone for being turned off of Undertale by what the internet did with it; it can be hard to separate those things.

That said I didn't find the spaghetti running gag particularly funny anyway.

The problem is that memes aren't made by the game, they're made by the audience. What's in the game we refer to as jokes. I don't blame anyone for being turned off of Undertale by what the internet did with it; it can be hard to separate those things.

That said I didn't find the spaghetti running gag particularly funny anyway.

The game is full of in-jokes, references, and the like. It's perfect fodder for memes.

Joeku

The game is full of in-jokes, references, and the like. It's perfect fodder for memes.

AFAIK there was some joke early on that was actually a reference to an internet thing I can't even remember (Sans says it maybe?) and Megalovania has been around since before the game so...okay?

Twitter and Tumblr got too attached to a thing and stretched it thin and made it unwelcoming. That's not the game's fault, but I get why it can be hard to not have that garbage in the back of your head if you ever approach it.

While it's not quite the same thing, I can see being tired of the modern day Call of Duty games, of which there were only a few, but CoD4 did it so well and blew the fuck up so everyone else in the games industry tried to ape it and the whole thing got overbearing. I can't blame that on Infinity Ward, but goddamn if I wasn't just fucking done with it all by the time MW3 came out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
at least undertale's art isn't just fucking
unlike nier automata where the only thing anyone took away from it is 'that one girl has a big butt'

Got to #6 in a Battlegrounds match, and man does it suck not being able to watch how the rest plays out.

They tell stories that can only be done in an interactive medium. Yoko Taro has always been big on that.

This is pretty much what I was talking about re: Nier sounding like it scratches some similar itches to Undertale. Same goes for the Zero Escape series. I'm always excited to find another game that takes advantage of the medium like these.

I still don't know what Undertale is even about.
Silent kid falls through a hole into an underground world of monsters and sets out to find their way back to the human world. Makes some friends and/or enemies along the way. (As the type of pretentious asshole who gets overly nostalgic and starts feeling ways about things, I'm compelled to also say that it's about the impact one can have on the world by choosing compassion over violence, and the irreparable damage one could do by choosing the latter.)

C-Ioo_ZVwAAs7Ie.jpg

Nintendo needs to up their meme game.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
"ignore them until the next Mario Maker" sounds good to me

That feels like ignoring your mom until thanksgiving when she bakes a perfect apple crumble. She's only calling because she wants to know what the eggplant emoji is, she isn't tryin' to bother you... just talk to your mom, your nintendo mom.

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of bounced off Mario Maker. Maybe it was the overwhelming Jeff hype since I was consuming a lot of GB stuff at the time, but it was just...fine? I dunno. I liked playing levels more than making them past a certain point, and then kind of had my fill altogether.

Bacon

I bought a Wii U for Mario maker and ended up playing like 5 hours of it. I think it just worked better in theory then in practice for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I seriously doubt there's a sizable audience for giantbomb under 20.

Too old and you actually need to pay for content.

jambo

I seriously doubt there's a sizable audience for giantbomb under 20.

Too old and you actually need to pay for content.

Probably a decent number of people who see the GB stuff on YouTube and never visit the site.

Might not even realise there is Premium shit.

Mr. F

Banned
I remember being under 20 and into Giantbomb. Back in the heady days where PC Games were Random and Our Last Saves were Loaded.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm more calling into question if there is any teenager getting into giantbomb nowadays. :p

I mean there are probably some, but probably not the sizable audience that flock to youtubers like PDP or Jacksepticeye.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm more calling into question if there is any teenager getting into giantbomb nowadays. :p

Oh, oh fuck no.

edit; yeah exactly. I'm unsure what the appeal of current-day GB possibly could be for a teenage audience when there's the whole of YouTube to compete with, and personalities that are more tuned into capitalizing on their core audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom