• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

mitchman

Gold Member
All of this negativity on the Xbox One S UHD Bluray playback is making me question my decision to wait for the Scorpio to jump into UHD Bluray.

It's fine for its price for UHD BD playback. I bought it to use it on my 65" B6. Hates will hate.

e90Mark

Just pulled the trigger on the B6 for $1500 on ebay. So excited! Now I have to find a good UHD player since I just read that the PS4 Pro doesn't have one.
I'd highly suggest seeing if you can use price protection, if your credit card has it, to bring that price down. It's not a bad price, if you're just talking strictly retail, but you can definitely bring it down.

As far as players.. lol. Just read back a couple pages.
I'm out of the loop on this one... What's up with it?

Just read back a couple pages.

vpance

2016 SUHD Samsung TVs will get an update for HDR10+ in the second half of 2017. Also Amazon partnership

LAS VEGAS – APRIL 18, 2017 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. and Amazon Video today announced the introduction of HDR10+, an updated open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors on an expanded range of televisions.

HDR10+ elevates the HDR10 open standard with the addition of Dynamic Tone Mapping. The current HDR10 standard utilizes static metadata that does not change during playback despite scene specific brightness levels. As a result, image quality may not be optimal in some scenes. For example, when a movie’s overall color scheme is very bright but has a few scenes filmed in relatively dim lighting, those scenes will appear significantly darker than what was originally envisioned by the director.

HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows a high dynamic range (HDR) TV to adjust brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. With the ability to display outstanding contrast with detailed highlights and a richer range of colors, HDR10+ produces images that are much closer to the director’s intent.

All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.

“As an advanced HDR10 technology, HDR10+ offers an unparalleled HDR viewing experience — vivid picture, better contrast and accurate colors — that brings HDR video to life,” said Kyoungwon Lim, Vice President of Visual Display Division at Samsung Electronics. “We’re excited to work with world-class industry partners, including Amazon Video, to bring more amazing HDR content directly to our 2017 UHD TVs, including our QLED TV lineup.”

“Together with Samsung, we are excited to offer customers an enhanced viewing experience on a broad range of devices,” said Greg Hart, Vice President of Amazon Video, worldwide. “At Amazon, we are constantly innovating on behalf of customers and are thrilled to be the first streaming service provider to work with Samsung to make HDR10+ available on Prime Video globally later this year.”

F DV 😁🖕

TheBoss1

Lord, $4k for the 55"? So +$1k over the C7?

I think a fairer comparison would be the E7 vs A1E. Both provide a better sound solution and the designs are supposed to be more premium, even if every 2017 OLED panel are the same. I'm sure if Sony didn't try to sell us the their Acoustic Surface sound technology on this set, it would have been a lot closer in price to the C7. Also, they are getting their panels from LG.

I think a fairer comparison would be the E7 vs A1E. Both provide a better sound solution and the designs are supposed to be more premium, even if every 2017 OLED panel are the same. I'm sure if Sony didn't try to sell us the their Acoustic Surface sound technology on this set, it would have been a lot closer in price to the C7. Also, they are getting their panels from LG.

I would be very curious to see the metrics on who spends $4k on a TV and uses the built-in audio. One assumes they do the market research to show the value there, would love to see that deck.

CNET's David Katzmaier has his review of the OLED 7 series (he tested the 55C7 and 65E7): https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-oled55c7p/review/

The Good: The LG C7 is the best-performing TV we've tested to date. It delivers perfect black levels, wide viewing angles, accurate color and a great bright-room picture. It's compatible with both major HDR formats, and HDR image quality is better than last year. Its striking design features a super-slim panel.

The Bad: It's really expensive, and prices are likely to drop. Other 2017 TVs we haven't yet reviewed might perform even better.

The Bottom Line: The LG C7 is the best overall TV we've ever tested, but patient shoppers are likely to be rewarded by price drops in the coming months.

I've always really liked David's reviews. I bought my 2009 Panasonic Plasma based on his review at that time. Even though HDMI 2.1 is on the horizon, I think I'll pick up a C7 this fall - I'm willing to wait for a bit more of a price drop, but I don't want to be waiting forever.

vpance

Is HDR10+ every bit as good as DV or does DV have more than just the meta data advantage?

From what I read, the main difference is that DV supports 12 bit color depth and HDR10+ supports 10 bit only. Otherwise they seem to be trying to do the same thing. Also HDR10+ is a free and open standard.

I think either one will take on quick. Dynamic metadata comparisons really shows how dumb current HDR mastering is, and why most of it is so dim in average brightness.

I would be very curious to see the metrics on who spends $4k on a TV and uses the built-in audio. One assumes they do the market research to show the value there, would love to see that deck.

i'm actually using the built in sound bar on my e6. i have a proper 5.1 setup, but just moved to a townhouse and haven't bothered setting it up yet

other than the low end being pretty much non-existent, it sounds quite nice

taybul

I'd highly suggest seeing if you can use price protection, if your credit card has it, to bring that price down. It's not a bad price, if you're just talking strictly retail, but you can definitely bring it down.

As far as players.. lol. Just read back a couple pages.

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea about price protection. I skimmed through the hubbub about the players...staying away for now :)

The amount of articles with "hands on review" in the header for a TV that they saw at CES or a press show is kinda shitty.

Really hungry for some more of these A1E impressions.

KevinG

Asked this a couple of pages back but figured I'd give t one more shot:

Any good/affordable soundbar recommendations for a B6? Preferably sub-$200, I just want to be able to host aroun 20 people in my living room for a movie night and the built in speakers on the B6 (while serviceable for normal viewing) just don't cut it.

I've been looking for something on the budget end for 4K TVs. Seen a Sony KD43X8305CBU at Costco for around £540, anyone got one, know what it's like? Looking to just get the most out of my PS4 Pro, it's a 2015 TV so I'm not sure about the HDR capabilities and Google is a little conflicting.

TheBoss1

The amount of articles with "hands on review" in the header for a TV that they saw at CES or a press show is kinda shitty.

Really hungry for some more of these A1E impressions.

Yeah they are extremely desperate for clicks since this is a much anticipated TV. I always have doubts about these "reviews" until the reputable sites (RTINGS, AVForums, etc.) post their respective reviews. You can tell by the lack of details or the rehashing of old information that these guys didn't actually get a unit in for review.

Paragon

The colors are great out of the box, but I would really love to have a working CMS on all sets, particularly now that no set can reach full BT.2020.
There is really not a good excuse, at for any set over 1k not to have this feature, IMO.
It is absolutely unnecessary if the display has a factory calibration which displays all source gamuts as accurately as possible.
You have high-end broadcast monitors that cost five figures which don't even have user-facing color management systems either.
While I appreciate the strides that have been made to improve calibration options, better factory calibration so that they are no longer required is a far better solution.
You can't do that for grayscale since it will change over time, but color gamut should not.

Don't tease.. Pioneer isn't back.
Pioneer displays were always overrated.
People wouldn't have been holding them in such high regard if it was not for the black level.

OLED is in need of an major breakthrough, in regards to the panel handling more volts thus increasing brightness, without killing it within a few months! But with only LG making them, it's actually quite an issue.
Things are going to get really interesting once Panasonic has those 1000 nit, 1,000,000:1 IPS panels in widespread production.
Eizo have announced a monitor using the 31" panel.
Unfortunately they probably won't appear in a consumer TV any time soon.
Panasonic should release a high-end TV using one though. Even if they charge $10,000 for it, they should sell it just to show what they are capable of.

Kyoufu

I use the built-in sound on my E6 when I'm not using my bluetooth headphones.

Not investing in a sound system until HDMI 2.1 support is out.

holygeesus

Banned

I think that line of thinking is kinda why people questioned buying an Xbox S for UHD playback a few pages back. If you are going to pay big money for a TV, why then feed it with a (arguably) substandard source?

KevinG

I think that line of thinking is kinda why people questioned buying an Xbox S for UHD playback a few pages back. If you are going to pay big money for a TV, why then feed it with a (arguably) substandard source?

My thoughts are, that I got my B6 for quite cheap, and I've never owned a television of this caliber. I also plan to buy a Scorpio, and don't want to throw more the $200 into a standalone player if I'm throwing $400 (hopefully) into the Scorpio in 6 months or so.

I have to ask myself if I'd notice the difference between players if I've never noticed this kind of this before, but I've never noticed this kind of difference because I've simply never has this kind of top tier technology in my home.

Jigolo

Why fuck Dolby Vision? Both formats can live.

Anyway here's an interesting post from AVS regarding this

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...000-4k-uhd-owners-thread-48.html#post51396705

HDR10+ INFORMATION:

Here are the facts, confirmed via email from the product development director and the two leading engineers at Samsung:

There is no upgrade path for HDR10+ (AKA, "dynamic HDR 10") available ahead of the hardware update to HDMI 2.1 which is required to support HDR10+ from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2016 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0a inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2017 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0b inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2018 Samsung HDR TVs will support HDR10+ via streaming as well as on their HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Oddly enough this is dated 3/10/17 (before todays announcement) which leads me to believe that this is true. Samsung flagships gonna come with HDMI 2.1 next year confirmed as far as I'm concerned.

vpance

Why fuck Dolby Vision? Both formats can live.

Anyway here's an interesting post from AVS regarding this

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...000-4k-uhd-owners-thread-48.html#post51396705

Oddly enough this is dated 3/10/17 (before todays announcement) which leads me to believe that this is true. Samsung flagships gonna come with HDMI 2.1 next year confirmed as far as I'm concerned.

Just kidding about DV. Seems like it'll be easy enough to support both, especially since DV doesn't actually require special hardware and neither does HDR10+.

Samsung has said that existing UHD players may be able to be updated to play HDR10+ too.

I'm guessing that most TVs and every player from last year and beyond can actually support both DV and HDR10+, and manufacturers are just yanking our chains for whatever reason.

Jigolo

Just kidding about DV. Seems like it'll be easy enough to support both, especially since DV doesn't actually require special hardware and neither does HDR10+.

Samsung has said that existing UHD players may be able to be updated to play HDR10+ too.

I don't think the discs will play HDR10+. The players will probably be updated to support 10+ for apps.

vpance

I don't think the discs will play HDR10+. The players will probably be updated to support 10+ for apps.

I don't buy it from a technical standpoint, but we'll see. Apps first then discs later, if the content starts flowing. I think it's just a question of manufacturers wanting to wall off support for it or not for new models. That goes for both DV and HDR10+.

BumRush

My thoughts are, that I got my B6 for quite cheap, and I've never owned a television of this caliber. I also plan to buy a Scorpio, and don't want to throw more the $200 into a standalone player if I'm throwing $400 (hopefully) into the Scorpio in 6 months or so.

I have to ask myself if I'd notice the difference between players if I've never noticed this kind of this before, but I've never noticed this kind of difference because I've simply never has this kind of top tier technology in my home.

Also, how much UHD disc-based content will you be watching? If you plan to amass a huge physical collection, maybe a standalone player is right for you. If not, the xbone player will suffice.

vpance

Will HDR10+ come to other brands? Why are Samsung the first?

It's an open format so they can support it if they want to. In other words, if it gets popular then yeah, which is why Samsung is pushing for it I guess. Maybe they just really hate paying Dolby royalties.

Samsung was one of the big early supporters of HDR10 too, when they first partnered with Amazon.

Weevilone

I have used the Xbox One S and the Oppo 203. I didn't do any technical comparisons between the two, but when I was using the Xbox I thought it looked great. It was the first UHD disk play that I experienced though, so take it with a grain of salt. I had issues with some disks not playing, and some stuttering and such. The Oppo has experienced its own growing pains (new format after all) but aside from a layer change stutter on Deepwater Horizon, I haven't had any problems with the Oppo for disk playback.

I'd suggest going to AVS and reading this thread:

Linky

Geneijin

For movie playback, Limited is more than fine, but it does suck that Full (RGB) may still be broken for gaming.

KevinG

Also, how much UHD disc-based content will you be watching? If you plan to amass a huge physical collection, maybe a standalone player is right for you. If not, the xbone player will suffice.

I have used the Xbox One S and the Oppo 203. I didn't do any technical comparisons between the two, but when I was using the Xbox I thought it looked great. It was the first UHD disk play that I experienced though, so take it with a grain of salt. I had issues with some disks not playing, and some stuttering and such. The Oppo has experienced its own growing pains (new format after all) but aside from a layer change stutter on Deepwater Horizon, I haven't had any problems with the Oppo for disk playback.

I'd suggest going to AVS and reading this thread:

Linky

Thanks for the input!

I have amassed a decent Bluray collection, but plan to only invest in UHD discs if the transfers are reviewed really well from the 4K master.

The only UHD disc I currently own is Arrival, but it was only $5 more than the regular Bluray.

Weevilone

Thanks for the input!

I have amassed a decent Bluray collection, but plan to only invest in UHD discs if the transfers are reviewed really well from the 4K master.

The only UHD disc I currently own is Arrival, but it was only $5 more than the regular Bluray.

I would personally recommend that you not get too hung up on whether it's been shot and mastered in 4k. Many titles that were shot or mastered at a lower resolution look fabulous due to HDR. Personally I think HDR is more important than 4K.

There are exceptions of course. A handful of movies are just totally jacked up regardless.

I just want to see data, not anecdotes. Looks like NPD did a soundbar survey a few years back, but that was more about usage, at least in the reporting. Some very small sample size reports from Consumer Reports out there, too, but I can't find any larger surveys that are publicly disclosed.

If i have a pretty large 3d movie collection, is there any downside with going with the 65" C6 over the B6? will picture quality take a hit? they seem to be priced about the same, with the C6 being easier to find.

yamo

I would personally recommend that you not get too hung up on whether it's been shot and mastered in 4k. Many titles that were shot or mastered at a lower resolution look fabulous due to HDR. Personally I think HDR is more important than 4K.

There are exceptions of course. A handful of movies are just totally jacked up regardless.

Will all Blu Ray discs take advantage of HDR? Or must it be UHD Blu Ray that is mastered for HDR in some way?

Weevilone

Will all Blu Ray discs take advantage of HDR? Or must it be UHD Blu Ray that is mastered for HDR in some way?

It has to be mastered in that way, but I don't think I've seen an UHD Blu-ray that isn't.

If i have a pretty large 3d movie collection, is there any downside with going with the 65" C6 over the B6? will picture quality take a hit? they seem to be priced about the same, with the C6 being easier to find.

3D on the C6 is simply amazing.

Wiped89

C6 owner here. This is a fantastic TV. From what I've heard, the C6 has a slightly better processor (mainly for 3D I think) so it has lower lag than B6, if marginally, and it shares its DNA with the top-end, also-3D E6. So yeah, go for it.

J-Rzez

Manufacturers are really raking people over in this 4k generation. 1.4hdmi, 4k/30p, hdmi 2.0, 4k/60p, then HDR, DV, HDR+, now we're talking about hdmi 2.1, VRR, etc. Its upsetting to a lot of people it seems. Confusing. Trigger shy because fear of pulsating.

All these standards are out of control. Its not just minor IQ enhancements either like in brightness or color.

Manufacturers are really raking people over in this 4k generation. 1.4hdmi, 4k/30p, hdmi 2.0, 4k/60p, then HDR, DV, HDR+, now we're talking about hdmi 2.1, VRR, etc. Its upsetting to a lot of people it seems. Confusing. Trigger shy because fear of pulsating.

All these standards are out of control. Its not just minor IQ enhancements either like in brightness or color.

The home display industry was fairly stagnant for a long time. Mobile displays and devices continued to be revised and pushed forward while a lot of people sitting on their home TV sets for the better part or a decade. I can understand why they are suddenly just are trying to make constant leaps.

Top Bottom