• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Business

The halo is safer there’s no way around it, fires are not an issue like they used to be. Having said that, I absolutely hate the halo and believe the sport is safe enough without it.

Jezbollah

If we can get through stepped noses and penis noses, we'll do just fine with a year of halos on the cars.

xcXou8j.jpg

I was actually thinking about the penis nose season while typing up that we'll get used to the Halos... :)

Jezbollah

I personally think choice to use the Halo should be down to the individual driver - if they want to run it great, but if they don't no harm no foul.

The problem with this is two-fold. There is an aero effect with the Halo. If you have a choice, you have a potential design imbalance should team mates opt to have and not have the device.

Also, if there is any aero benefit of not having it, then other drivers may feel that they are at a disadvantage running it, which basically forces them on a competition basis not to run it at all.

So in both a design, cost and safety basis it has to be mandated for all.

DBT85

I get that, I just think the whole thing has been so poorly conceived and rushed that this was one scenario where it should be up to the individual as concept is so polarising.

Honestly don't think it's polarising. People hate how it looks. That's universal.

They also know that a device like this would probably have saved 5 drivers around the world in the last decade or so.

Just like not allowing drivers to choose to use drs in the wet, this has to be mandated.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The Halo genie is out of the bottle now. If someone were to suffer a head injury next year because the Halo wasn't fitted, the FIA and FOM would be open to litigation and criminal charges. "This driver died because the car would have looked ugly otherwise" is not a good look.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Halo genie is out of the bottle now. If someone were to suffer a head injury next year because the Halo wasn't fitted, the FIA and FOM would be open to litigation and criminal charges. "This driver died because the car would have looked ugly otherwise" is not a good look.

How many drivers have suffered head injuries through purely racing accidents of the kind that may have been prevented by halo - not as a result of eg on track vehicles etc?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
How many drivers have suffered head injuries through purely racing accidents of the kind that may have been prevented by halo - not as a result of eg on track vehicles etc?

Off the top of my head since 2009, four drivers. Massa in Hungary, Surtees (fatal) in Brands Hatch, Hinchcliffe in Indy and Wilson (fatal) in Pocono. A halo or similar cockpit protection may have deflected the objects that struck them. Personally, I preferred the aeroscreen that was also tested. But if the FIA believes the halo to be the best option, then so be it.

DBT85

On top of those listed above. There have been multiple instances of cars going over other cars just in F1 where the driver was lucky not to get cracked on the head. Spa 2012 for example.

FrankCanada97

The FIA changed the superlicense points structure. It is still 40 points to earn a superlicense, but now only IndyCar and Formula 2 can reward the maximum 40 points for first place. They also added some more series eligible to reward points including NASCAR Cup.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-superlicence-points-revamp-f2-indycar-956108/
The FIA has approved changes to the Formula 1 superlicence qualification structure, with only Formula 2 and IndyCar now offering the maximum points, but with additional series made eligible.
Previously, the champions of F2, European Formula 3, Formula E, IndyCar and the World Endurance Championship's LMP1 class all received the necessary 40 points.
The top three drivers in F2 will continue to receive 40 points – with points accumulated in the final two seasons of GP2, which offered 30 for third place, also counting towards a driver's total.

IndyCar will continue to offer 40, 30 and 20 superlicence points to its top three finishers, with the rest of the top 10 also earning points.

Euro F3's allocation has been cut from 40 points for the champion to 30, and 30 to 25 for second place, with the rest of its points unchanged.

The same reduction has been made to Formula E's points distribution.

The GP3 champion's points reward has been reduced from 30 to 25, while Formula V8 3.5's allocation has been slashed from 35 for the champion to 20, and points are now only awarded down to ninth place at a heavily reduced rate.

The LMP1 allocation has been altered to decrease the points offered for first and second place – 40-to-30 and 30-to-24 respectively – but the drivers finishing from fourth to 10th in that category will now receive an increased points reward.

The first six drivers in the Super Formula championship will now all receive a lower number of points.

Several new championships – including NASCAR Cup, IMSA and Indy Lights – have been added to the expanded superlicence structure.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Jezbollah

Off the top of my head since 2009, four drivers. Massa in Hungary, Surtees (fatal) in Brands Hatch, Hinchcliffe in Indy and Wilson (fatal) in Pocono. A halo or similar cockpit protection may have deflected the objects that struck them. Personally, I preferred the aeroscreen that was also tested. But if the FIA believes the halo to be the best option, then so be it.

I highly doubt the Halo could have prevented Massa's injury in Hungary. However the Halo would have prevented Maria Di Vellota's incident at Duxford. Also, Jules Bianchi at Suzuka.

I highly doubt the Halo could have prevented Massa's injury in Hungary. However the Halo would have prevented Maria Di Vellota's incident at Duxford. Also, Jules Bianchi at Suzuka.
Proper procedures would've saved Bianchi as well. That still makes my blood boil, and probably always will.

FrankCanada97

Proper procedures would've saved Bianchi as well. That still makes my blood boil, and probably always will.

The chain of events on that day was just unreal. The typhoon incoming, refusing to change the start time, the first red flag, reducing daylight, Sutil spinning off, the medevac helicopter being unable to take-off. If any of those events played out differently, maybe we would still have Bianchi.

Lach

Wohoo. A race in my hometown! Looking forward to it.

For those unaware, Switzerland as aquite negative relation to car racing. We had a Grand Prix until 1955 (was very old school Spa like track), but after the big Le Mans accident car races in Switzerland were forbidden. There was a Swiss Grand Prix a few times, held in France (Dijon).

They recently changed the laws, but only for E-Racing.

Dr.Phibes

The chain of events on that day was just unreal. The typhoon incoming, refusing to change the start time, the first red flag, reducing daylight, Sutil spinning off, the medevac helicopter being unable to take-off. If any of those events played out differently, maybe we would still have Bianchi.
Or you know, drivers actually going slow under caution. That's really something that needs more regulating.

Jezbollah

Or you know, drivers actually going slow under caution. That's really something that needs more regulating.

This was actually the primary cause of Bianchi's accident (also procedures as mentioned - specifically when it comes to marshalling around Suzuka, which has always had me on the edge). This incident was the reason the VSC was introduced

Mohonky

I'm not so sure about that, Kenny Bräck survived a 214 g impact. Would a halo have significantly increased the g-force of the impact with the tractor?

It probably would have lessened them to some extent; if the Halo held out and caused the tractor to lift and slide over the driver that right there is a big difference.

Regardless, the VSC that came from that incident was such a good idea its a wonder no one thought about or implemented it earlier. Drivers are always going to drive as hard as they can get away with so they dont lose time, making it so all drivers must slow down while not gaining or losing time is exactly the procedure the sport needed.

I'm not so sure about that, Kenny Bräck survived a 214 g impact. Would a halo have significantly increased the g-force of the impact with the tractor?
Everything that I've read about the incident said that his brain being smashed against his skull during the crash was unavoidable and what killed him. If the halo would've avoided that then fine.

Zeknurn

Well, the cars sound incredible in real life and if this microphone lets them reproduce the sound on the TV broadcast then I welcome it.
I do however think trackside directional microphones would be enough.

FrankCanada97

The Italian edition of motorsport.com is reporting that Stroll Sr. is pushing for either Massa or Di Resta to partner with Stroll over Kubica.

kiyomi

Wonder what form the microphone would take once it reaches the audience's ears.

I would presume they'd only use that mic for onboard shots, or would they consider blending it in with the trackside audio? Anyway, the sound of the cars isn't a major problem for the appeal of F1 and they have other shit they need to sort out, like having graphics during sessions that are actually accurate and not just FUBAR.

FrankCanada97

The Singapore start made me review some other incidents with teammates straight off the starting grid. I present to you the fuckery that was the start of the GP2 feature race at Magny Cours in 2007.

Starring Andreas Zuber and... IS THAT GLOCK!? IT IS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwR_HbiHYys

Also note Zuber's right rear tire landing square on Glock's head.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The Singapore start made me review some other incidents with teammates straight off the starting grid. I present to you the fuckery that was the start of the GP2 feature race at Magny Cours in 2007.

Starring Andreas Zuber and... IS THAT GLOCK!? IT IS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwR_HbiHYys

Also note Zuber's right rear tire landing square on Glock's head.

I remember this crazy race. Viso lucky not to have hit his head or kill a marshal like in Jeff Krosnoff's fatal crash. And that mechanic getting hit in the pits adds to the chaos.

Fox Mulder

The Italian edition of motorsport.com is reporting that Stroll Sr. is pushing for either Massa or Di Resta to partner with Stroll over Kubica.

Of course. He puts more money into the team than Martini apparently, while their age clause only helps Stroll by blocking younger talent like Wehrlein.

Williams is falling down a hole, but they're making money. They could finish 7th this year if TR and Renault pass them as the points gap is close.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope Claire Williams didn't sell off the soul of her new baby as she did the soul of her F1 team, that would be bad.

Of course. He puts more money into the team than Martini apparently, while their age clause only helps Stroll by blocking younger talent like Wehrlein.

Williams is falling down a hole, but they're making money. They could finish 7th this year if TR and Renault pass them as the points gap is close.

But why block Kubica? Just scared he'll outshine his son in a way that Massa or Di Resta won't?

Trying to decide between Hungary and France for my GP next year.

I'm thinking Hungary because I really liked it last time I was there (and because there's every chance Paul Ricard's first race doesn't go smoothly)... but I just don't know. How do people think the racing will be at Paul Ricard?

Top Bottom