• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTA

Calling it now, Odyssey will review absurdly well but ten years from now, it will be looked at as another Sunshine and people will remember it being better than it was.

Call me in ten years and eat your crow.

I mean you're proposing that 1. I really enjoy it when it comes out and 2. it only falls in favor because even more enjoyable Mario games come out in the next 10 years.

So I'm ok with this?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Calling it now, Odyssey will review absurdly well but ten years from now, it will be looked at as another Sunshine and people will remember it being better than it was.

Dude no one can even sure they'll be alive in 10 years time.

Fandom is valuable and important, and a lot of creative effort that goes into those communities and fanworks and roleplaying and such shouldn't be disregarded just because they can go bad.

but when they go bad, it sucks

For sure, though even in that case you can usually find cool people in the fandom that aren't being shitheels to other people.

Got through that.

But now?

Fuck the
last two phases of the dragon fight
. I feel like between the RNG of the platforms and all the effects and movement on screen it's a little much to try to even see everything to anticipate what's coming.

My tip(s) for the dragon:

When you get to the jumping fireballs part, move as little as possible.

When you get to the bubble bobble flameballs at the end, shoot WAY less than you would think you need to. You have a ton of time, and it saves you from exploding them and getting hit.

TraBuch

Banned
I mean you're proposing that 1. I really enjoy it when it comes out and 2. it only falls in favor because even more enjoyable Mario games come out in the next 10 years.

So I'm ok with this?
You'll think you're enjoying it, but you're really not. You're actually hating every moment of it but you're so enamored by a new Mario game with mustache dinosaurs that you don't even notice how much of a bad time you're really having.

BTA

Dude no one can even sure they'll be alive in 10 years time.

For sure, though even in that case you can usually find cool people in the fandom that aren't being shitheels to other people.

Oh yeah. I think it's important to note that even when an entire fandom is supposedly bad that's not really the case, both in the "not everyone who likes this sucks" sense and the "people are actively involved in a community around this without touching the shitty parts" sense.

I'm sure someone's out there making interesting things about Rick and Morty... somewhere?

Joeku

Yeah, form, I have the former down pat. I am now at the point I only lose health to the
stupid little marching fire knobs
and the
fireballs and extended lighter flame in the last bit
. First time I feel like I can't quite keep track of everything at once.

BTA

You'll think you're enjoying it, but you're really not. You're actually hating every moment of it but you're so enamored by a new Mario game with mustache dinosaurs that you don't even notice how much of a bad time you're really having.

If I don't notice that I'm having a bad time, why does it matter that the time was bad?

Oh yeah. I think it's important to note that even when an entire fandom is supposedly bad that's not really the case, both in the "not everyone who likes this sucks" sense and the "people are actively involved in a community around this without touching the shitty parts" sense.

I'm sure someone's out there making interesting things about Rick and Morty... somewhere?

Rick and Morty hit the spot with me where my first real intro to them is shitty memes, and I get so irritated by them that I don't bother with the show at all and get turned off to the fanbase.

Joeku

If I don't notice that I'm having a bad time, why does it matter that the time was bad?

This is some Matrix shit.

TraBuch

Banned
People have already forgotten Rabid Mario. Mario is dead. The franchise is dead. Nobody cares anymore. There's no more staying power in Mario.

Mr. F

Banned
If you take the blue mushroom, the story ends. You wake up and go back to being a plumber.

If you take the red mushroom, you stay in the Mushroom Kingdom, and you can see how far down that green pipe goes.

I think newgrounds / albinoblacksheep has probably covered this ground indepth from 2002-2006

Antiwhippy

If you take the blue mushroom, the story ends. You wake up and go back to being a plumber.

If you take the red mushroom, you stay in the Mushroom Kingdom, and you can see how far down that green pipe goes.

I feel like r/redpill has poisoned this reference to me forever.

valeo

I use a Xbox One controller and do:

RT - Shoot
LT - Dash
LB - EX
A - Jump
X - Switch weapons
B - Lock in place

Trigger works great because you never have to stop shooting to do anything.

I think I'm crazy because I prefer the default controls.

I tried changing to the above when I first started the game, but they didn't feel right at all, so switched back to default.

TraBuch

Banned
That or they'll try some misguided 24-person Battle Royale thing where everyone's trying to get the Constitution or some shit.
Your confusing The Last of Us' multiplayer mode with the excellent National Treasure video game adaptation multiplayer mode.

I think I'm crazy because I prefer the default controls.

I tried changing to the above when I first started the game, but they didn't feel right at all, so switched back to default.

Having Y on Dash confused me too many times mid battle. More so on the run and gun levels, but I got frustrated and threw it on RT. Haven't had an issue since.

Stoze

Sunshine had a rushed development and wasn't polished, and that feeds into the bulk of the issues with the game (wonky physics incidents, 30fps, blue coins, camera, etc.). Since then 3D Marios have been polished up the wazoo so I don't really see that happening.

Antiwhippy

Sunshine had a rushed development and wasn't polished, and that feeds into the bulk of the issues with the game (wonky physics incidents, 30fps, blue coins, camera, etc.). Since then 3D Marios have been polished up the wazoo so I don't really see that happening.

Well lubricated, you could say

Megasoum

Banned
I'm re-watching Blade Runner before seeing the sequel on Tuesday morning and here's my hot take..... Blade Runner is fucking borring.

BTA

I'm looking forward to watching the original sometime this week (didn't make the one for it this weekend) and then see 2049 next week.

I do wonder if I'll feel bored myself even knowing that going in, hmm.

Megasoum

Banned
You should probably pass on the sequel.

Yeah, seems silly to go see the new one if you hate the first one, no?

Bah I'm still curious about the sequel cause I'm a big Dennis Villeneuve fan (Our #1 export since Celine!) and also I'm going to see it for free with my company during working hours.

Also I wouldn't say I necessarly hate the original... I still recognize the craftmanship and the enormous influence it had on pop culture (especially speaking as someone who worked on the last two Deus Ex games, it's kinda crazy lol)... I just find it very slow and kind of overrated.

Bah I'm still curious about the sequel cause I'm a big Dennis Villeneuve fan (Our #1 export since Celine!) and also I'm going to see it for free with my company during working hours.

Also I wouldn't say I necessarly hate the original... I still recognize the craftmanship and the enormous influence it had on pop culture (especially speaking as someone who worked on the last two Deus Ex games, it's kinda crazy lol)... I just find it very slow and kind of overrated.

Hopefully you have a good time either way :)

Lari

I think I enjoyed Blade Runner 2049 more than the original.

But I only seen the first one recently and don't have as much attachment to it as most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom