• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

spirity

I think adding jump + combat would just add way too many animations. I honestly am OK without the jumping.

The whole jumping thing for me isn't a game breaker, but not having it just seems... wrong.

So, if I see a couple of boulders, one small one large, it's in my nature to jump onto the smallest, then onto the largest, just to see what the view is like from there.

Also, when I'm stood on the edge of a hill and there's a 'step' down of around 1ft, I'd like to be able to go down it, not run to the left for 20ft to find where the ground comes together, then run back another 20ft just to get to a place I was at, but 1ft forward. If that makes sense. It's unnecessary.

And of course, there is the whole tiny-fence-i-cant-jump thing.

As I said, none of this is a gamebreaker, but not being able to jump kinda flies in the face of what the game is attempting to provide - freedom in an open world environment. Its a bit odd.

EDIT
Oh, and welcome to Gaf Curt. I love the demo, and really appreciate your efforts in getting this onto Steam. As much as i adore open world games, I'm not really an Origin fan. So many thanks for making it available to stick in the muds like me.

I've been planning on get KoA since even before the demo came out. I downloaded the demo on my PC and for the 360. I've played it more on the PC but mainly because I've just been spending a little more time with that lately (thanks Skyrim). I'm sure there is a way to modify it but I found the mouse/keyboard controls on the PC to be very...jumpy maybe. I think the 360 controller will work with the pc version, right? That might be enough to make me go ahead with the PC version. Any one care to try to sway me to the 360 version?

After reading Curt's post, reading Tycho's analysis, and playing some of the demo, I think this might be one of the few games I commit to buying Day 1 this year.

It really helps that it's coming out at a nice time. Not a ton of stuff that I'm interested in coming out in Jan-Feb besides this.

Astra

Let me start by apologizing. The demo? Ya, it is way way WAYYYYY more buggy than anything ANYONE should ever release, much less a demo.

You reading this, Bethesda? :D

Welcome to GAF, Curt. It's great to see you, and your team, interacting so much with the fan community. Glad you got approved right away, and hope to see you posting in the OT as much as you can.

scy

Just played the demo on PC, though just the cave bits and a tiny bit of the world, didn't spend the full 45 minutes wandering around. Sadly, the first thing I encountered was a pretty severe bug. I haven't read the thread fully, so I'm not sure if others have encountered it as well, but my screen was just all black. When I opened a menu and then closed it, the menu would stay, and the rest would still be black. Turning off post processing (which was on by default) worked for that though. I presume it's due to the fact that my video card is a little older (Radeon 4870 512MB).

It's an issue with ATI/AMD cards and post-processing, though it's an issue that's been fixed for retail.

The whole jumping thing for me isn't a game breaker, but not having it just seems... wrong.

It'd be nice to have, certainly, but I'm curious as to how it'd work out button mapping wise. Don't really think there's a free button for it unless it's given context for it (i.e., while blocking, roll -> jump).

causan

Welcome to GAF, Curt. I have enjoyed listening to you on The Instance podcast and glad you have made it onto the internet's best video game board ;) Great first post, I enjoy your honesty and I have gone from a sure buy to a day 1 pre-order.

Hawk269

More devs should be like the 38 and BHG guys ie. interact with the community. Really makes you appreciate more the work these guys and gals do.

Welcome!

CDProjkt makers of Witcher/Witcher 2 do this and they have been rewarded by gamers because of it. If Curt & Co. continue to interact and post on places like Gaf and they produce quality games they will be a great developer. I always beleived that a strong community will make a developer live/die. No better example than the Witcher Team.

Hawk269

I'm just glad there's someone older than me in here (41).
You'll find a lot of people like my brother in the Official Thread once the game releases. My brother and I will play the same game but he'll go into a rant for 15 minutes about all his issues with it but then when I ask him his final verdict he says. "I Loved it!!"

Im 44, so we are in the same company.

Derrick01

Banned
For the people that aren't into baseball, what is the bloody sock?

Despite the painful memories as a Yankee fan I'll try to explain. I forget the exact injury he had but it was a torn something in his ankle. He shouldn't have been out there pitching but his team was in the middle of one of the greatest comebacks ever, they were down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees, 1 loss from being eliminated (though at that point I think they were only down 3-1 or 3-2). As a pitcher you put a lot of pressure and torque on your ankle on every pitch, yet he was able to patch himself up, go out there and not only did he pitch but he pretty much shut the Yankees down. It's called the bloody sock because midway through the game the cameras zoomed in and noticed a big red spot on his sock as his wound had opened and he was bleeding, but he kept pitching and kept dominating.

It was one of the greatest performances ever given the circumstances and they won that game and eventually won the series, which no team had ever done in baseball down 3 to 0 in the series. They then went on to the world series and won easily which ended Boston's 80+ year drought. They even put the sock into the baseball hall of fame.

Meier

Very cool that Curt posted and read through the thread. I've been interested in the title since it was first shown but rarely bother with demos. I'll probably snag this after I play through FF13-2.

As an Evercrack addict, I always appreciated that Curt was a gamer and wished for good things when he founded 38. Hope the title is successful and spawns a popular franchise.

Astra

http://www.destructoid.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-hides-seven-quests-behind-online-pass-220459.phtml

Single player quests hidden behind an online pass? Are you kidding me?
Seriously, what kind of crap is that? I can't believe they're withholding single player content like this.
So if anyone picks this up used, they're missing out on an entire faction quest-line unless they pay $10 for an online pass.

Would this be EA's decision? Maybe a condition for them publishing the game?

Wallach

http://www.destructoid.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-hides-seven-quests-behind-online-pass-220459.phtml

Seriously, what kind of crap is that? I can't believe they're withholding single player content like this.
So if anyone picks this up used, they're missing out on an entire faction quest-line unless they pay $10 for an online pass.

EA - It's in the game, unless you bought it used.

I'm guessing you missed this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460516

The community manager came out and said that the unlocked quest line was suppose to be the first paid dlc but instead became part of the online pass/new buyer thingy

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3063-Did-you-push-back-at-EA-at-all-over-this-Quest-content-gated-by-online-pass.&p=52249&viewfull=1#post52249

scy

It's the first DLC being given for free for new purchases. It is not on-the-disc locked content (or removed from the disc content to sell). Up to you whether or not that's spin, I suppose. According to them, they decided to give it free to new purchases rather than hold it for a few weeks/months.

They're giving away their first planned DLC for free. Buy the game used and you can still buy the DLC. When you buy a used car that has XM radio in it do you demand that they give you the free first year of service that the guy who bought the car new got? This is not a new form of business. Nor is it as horrible as gamers want to make it seem.

Azih

They're giving away their first planned DLC for free. Buy the game used and you can still buy the DLC. When you buy a used car that has XM radio in it do you demand that they give you the free first year of service that the guy who bought the car new got? This is not a new form of business. Nor is it as horrible as gamers want to make it seem.

This is nothing more or less than the Mass Effect 2 'Cerebrus Network' 'Free' download stuff.

thatbox

Banned
Just got around to playing the demo. I have an ATI card, so it took me a while to realize they weren't being cute with VO over a black screen. Spent a few minutes Googling, then headed back in to turn off postprocessing. Played for ten minutes before the scripting broke and a door wouldn't open, which also somehow prevented all movement. Alt-F4ed and uninstalled. I can state categorically that I'd have more interest in this game if they hadn't released a demo, or at least a demo this atrocious. I guess I could try it on 360 but I honestly don't care enough to give it a third shot.

It's the first DLC being given for free for new purchases. It is not on-the-disc locked content (or removed from the disc content to sell). Up to you whether or not that's spin, I suppose. According to them, they decided to give it free to new purchases rather than hold it for a few weeks/months.
Does the Steam version work the same way? DLC as a separate download? Included in the base game download?

This is nothing more or less than the Mass Effect 2 'Cerebrus Network' 'Free' download stuff.

ME2, Dragon Age, Arkham City. It's incentives to buy it new. As someone that buys games new, I love it. I wish more companies would incentivize me. And if I did buy a game used, I sure as hell would wait until the price dropped far enough for it to matter that I may be buying the DLC that was incorporated in the newly released version.

goMaki

Very honored to see you on GAF! For what it's worth, I had absolutely no problems with the demo and it just made me super hyped for the game. I definitely do not regret my pre-purchase of the Special Edition. Thank you for all your hard work in creating this beautiful looking game. The 7th cannot come soon enough for me.

Astra

I'm guessing you missed this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460516

The community manager came out and said that the unlocked quest line was suppose to be the first paid dlc but instead became part of the online pass/new buyer thingy

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?3063-Did-you-push-back-at-EA-at-all-over-this-Quest-content-gated-by-online-pass.&p=52249&viewfull=1#post52249

Well, I suppose they could have charged us later down the line. (For content that was clearly ready before release.)
I know it's nothing new, and it's been happening for years, but I still don't like it.

Muse said:
Instead of holding onto it for a month or more and charging everyone for it later, we opted to give it to those who purchase the game new for free

Thank you for not cutting content to later sell to us.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a shame so many people have been encountering serious bugs in the demo. I didn't encounter any at all (other than the post processing bug) the 3 or 4 times I played through the demo.

scy

Well, I suppose they could have charged us later down the line. (For content that was clearly ready before release.)
I know it's nothing new, and it's been happening for years, but I still don't like it.

Just because it's pre-release doesn't mean it could have made it to the disc. There's a point where the development actually does stop so production can be done and all. Some reason, people just think that stuff ready "before the game releases" means that it could have made it to release even if it finished days before the actual release date.

It's a shame so many people have been encountering serious bugs in the demo. I didn't encounter any at all (other than the post processing bug) the 3 or 4 times I played through the demo.

I apparently have 24 hours on the demo but there has to be some idle time in that since I don't remember doing more than ~6 builds (that or I've been sleep-playing this). I've seen one bug besides the post-processing one with zero crashes on the PC/Steam version. Really unfortunate that it seems to be so temperamental :/

Astra

Just because it's pre-release doesn't mean it could have made it to the disc. There's a point where the development actually does stop so production can be done and all. Some reason, people just think that stuff ready "before the game releases" means that it could have made it to release even if it finished days before the actual release date.

I understand that, the game usually goes gold a few weeks before release. If the content is actually not already on the disc, and I have to download it, fine. If that's the case, though, they really should have called it a DLC Voucher, rather than an Online Pass, if even to prevent this confusion.

Does the Steam version work the same way? DLC as a separate download? Included in the base game download?

From the Community Manager at the official forums:

Muse said:
As a few others have mentioned, this is bonus content. It doesn't impact the main storyline, and is free to anyone who purchases the game new and uses the Online Pass that comes packaged with the XBox 360 and Playstation 3 version. For the PC versions (purchased via Origin, Steam, or at a retailer), everyone will automatically have access to the bonus content. (For the latter, the registration code for the game is for everything including the bonus content.)

scy

I understand that, the game usually goes gold a few weeks before release. If the content is actually not already on the disc, and I have to download it, fine. If that's the case, though, they really should have called it a DLC Voucher, rather than an Online Pass, if even to prevent this confusion.

Yeah, perception is the majority of it. The online pass nature of it kind of creates a certain train of thought towards it, unfortunately. :/

rekameohs

Banned
Just want to stop by and say that your work on the mound in the playoffs in 2001 and 2004 was awe-inspiring (especially 2001 ;D). I hope things turn out well for 38 Studios and Reckoning.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Muse said:
For the PC versions (purchased via Origin, Steam, or at a retailer), everyone will automatically have access to the bonus content. (For the latter, the registration code for the game is for everything including the bonus content.)

Sounds like the PC version is the one to get (probably only because there's no resale market for PC)

chifanpoe

The PC Build of the demo was by far the least buggy. The PS3 and 360 had some pretty bad ones though. Thankfully all the big ones and cameras issues have been confirmed to be fixed already for the final gold build.

thetrin

The PC Build of the demo was by far the least buggy. The PS3 and 360 had some pretty bad ones though. Thankfully all the big ones and cameras issues have been confirmed to be fixed already for the final gold build.

Yeah, I didn't try the console versions at all. The PC version also looks nice and crisp, and runs really well.

Isn't it always though?

I wish!

Rad Agast

Played this game up to the point where I got the the surface based off the positive reviews in this thread

..I don't see it.

Does the game pickup when you are on the surface?

Starting dungeon is the very first tutorial. The game starts to open up gradually after that so play it some more. Since it's a demo, don't be afraid to experiment and go crazy with mixing abilities/skills and decisions.

Starting dungeon is the very first tutorial. The game starts to open up gradually after that so play it some more. Since it's a demo, don't be afraid to experiment and go crazy with mixing abilities/skills and decisions.

Yeah, rating Amalur based off the tutorial is as wise as playing the opening linear scene in Skyrim and turning it off because it's not open-world enough.

Saw this from Tycho at Penny-Arcade. Not sure what it means. Anyone?

I think Gabriel wants to talk about Kingdoms of Amalur, which is a game desperately in need of a time-saving truncation.

thetrin

I think Gabriel wants to talk about Kingdoms of Amalur, which is a game desperately in need of a time-saving truncation.

Could mean anything, really. Maybe he means it outstays its welcome?

Nista

Yeah, even in interviews now Curt says something like, "Call it Reckoning."

Yeah reading that PA write up it took me a few seconds to realize "Oh, Gabe's talking about Reckoning". It sounds odd to refer to it as Amalur, since that's the name of the setting.

Yeah reading that PA write up it took me a few seconds to realize "Oh, Gabe's talking about Reckoning". It sounds odd to refer to it as Amalur, since that's the name of the setting.

I hate to keep bringing up the word "derivative" but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sounds a lot like World of Warcraft:Cataclysm =)

ReaperXL7

Holy crap.
I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

Curt thank you, it's beyond awesome that someone in your position within the industry would jump on forums especially outside of your own offical forums just to talk to people that are interested and some that are not in your game. You guys over at 38 and BHG are showing a level of class I never thought i'd see in todays gaming world. I loved the demo even with the issues presented within it, and am Stoked for the game, have been for a long time. If you guys keep up this style of community relations i'll be a fan for life.

Keep up the good work, and I hope you check out the OT! :)

Top Bottom