• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Thorgal

Still going through the MSQ and only now just beat Susano but i felt it time to give a character update .

ffxiv_dx112017-06-251ekbta.jpg

scy

I can't be the only one that laughed at the last zone having a
Saltery
after what happened with Raubahn EX and Pipin savage.

Not only that but
roaming salt elementals in the salt plains as you visit the Saltery and there's a literal underwater salt mine in the zone. Salt salt salt salt salt. With the amount solo instances in the zone, I started to wonder if we'd see Raubahn (Savage Extreme) when the bottleneck moved this far

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This Dragoon quest line

You are finding this kid's father's sidechick to reunite them. He's basically trying to find the woman his dad was sleeping with while he was still with the kid's mother. The only difference is we are talking about dragons. So trashy 😂

SOLDIER

For the PS4 version, does anyone know of a cheap but decent bluetooth keyboard that works with this game?

The last time I tried typing on the PS4 version I used an Apple keyboard, but none of the Function keys work. Is this the case for every keyboard used on the PS4?

iammeiam

The best part about the AST job gauge is having to debate creating an 'I have expanded balance' macro to stop having to try to type it out mid-fight.

Because nothing says upgrade like making something less useful, less informative, bigger and more visually intrusive, and making it mandatory.

The battle log changes they married to the job gauge thing seem a lot worse, though.

This is the entire battle log of me turning on Gauss Barrel, using Flamethrower, doing Flamethrower damage, entering Overheat, exiting overheat and entering no-GB time, exiting no-GB time, and reenabling Gauss Barrel:

Which seems insane but here it is in video format.

Given how much of MCH revolves around heat management and trying to time GCDs perfectly with the overheat and WF windows, this seems pretty bad. It's essentially record everything, because a lot of this (and ammo, being a job gauge now, falls prey to the same thing) is just only ever present in the UI.

I suspect this is present to some extent for all jobs, and is going to be a huge hit to the ability to compare information to improve your own rotation.

chogidogs

Credits roll on the Seventh Astral Era story for me. Took me about 20 hours to finish. I wasn't taking the story seriously up until the HOUR long cut scene near the end so all the plot twists hit me pretty hard.

Looking forward to HW and going 60 next!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The best part about the AST job gauge is having to debate creating an 'I have expanded balance' macro to stop having to try to type it out mid-fight.

Because nothing says upgrade like making something less useful, less informative, bigger and more visually intrusive, and making it mandatory.

The battle log changes they married to the job gauge thing seem a lot worse, though.

This is the entire battle log of me turning on Gauss Barrel, using Flamethrower, doing Flamethrower damage, entering Overheat, exiting overheat and entering no-GB time, exiting no-GB time, and reenabling Gauss Barrel:

Surprised they haven't excised combat log entirely given that it's unreadable in real time and so serves little purpose unless you parse it. Remember how they carefully removed all castbars and ability logging from Sephirot which couldn't have been anything but a cute attempt to combat parser triggers?

ebil

Not only that but
roaming salt elementals in the salt plains as you visit the Saltery and there's a literal underwater salt mine in the zone. Salt salt salt salt salt. With the amount solo instances in the zone, I started to wonder if we'd see Raubahn (Savage Extreme) when the bottleneck moved this far
Even the S rank from that zone is sodium-based!

iammeiam

Surprised they haven't excised combat log entirely given that it's unreadable in real time and so serves little purpose unless you parse it. Remember how they carefully removed all castbars and ability logging from Sephirot which couldn't have been anything but a cute attempt to combat parser triggers?

I used it a lot on PS4 to check various openers in Wildfire; it's mostly useless in live combat but has been useful for dinking around checking stuff.

The war against ACT triggers bothered me less, largely because it was really funy to watch greedy melee who never learned to read Optical Sight indicators constantly blow themselves up and destroy their parses that one time they swapped stuff out, but the constant march towards less information does get discouraging.

Arkeband

Banned
I couldn't tell which people changed VA's. They all sound stereotypically posh and boilerplate English.

I will say that I enjoy Hien's voice actor. He enunciates really well where he should and makes the character super likeable.

I couldn't tell which people changed VA's. They all sound stereotypically posh and boilerplate English.

I'll have to disagree with you there. There's distinctive regional accents mixed with the more neutral English accents of characters like Lyse, Y'shtola, Alisaie and Krile. Most of the Ala Mhigans and a handful of others such as Hilda in Heavensward sound like they're from anywhere between Sheffield and Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

Been repeating PotD floors 51 - 60 for some time now. Does difficulty ramp up significantly from 61 - 100?

81-100 is where things can start getting really dicey, imo. When I was grinding SAM, I would do 51-80 and then reset since there's still a lot of people leveling the new jobs.

Been repeating PotD floors 51 - 60 for some time now. Does difficulty ramp up significantly from 61 - 100?

I actually tried it once to check cause I figured why not. Felt about the same tbh. Mind you it was on RDM who has heals for emergency, so maybe skewed. I had about 60/60 at the time too so not amazing by any means.

It just felt longer though, larger floors and stuff maybe, some of the monster types had more hp in higher floors. And some of the bosses took longer.

150-200 is apparently when it starts getting really tough, before that it's not so bad. Have to remember you can solo up to 200 though if you know what you're doing/don't get too unlucky, so it's not THAT bad regardless.

So with all the changes to bard, I'm at a loss on how to start relearning it.

It's still at 60 and all but any tips/help on bard would be very much appreciated.

WetWaffle

How do I farm company seals? The most I can get is 250 per levequest, and least 173. Also, should I stick with Pugilist, takes too long looking for a party for a duty

Squishy3

I will say that I enjoy Hien's voice actor. He enunciates really well where he should and makes the character super likeable.
Nobody changed in SB except for Yugiri, the change occurred in HW, when they switched recording from the US to the UK. Fun facts are a lot of the new VA are from Xenoblade (Raubahn and Pipin are Gadolt and Shulk respectively) and Bloodborne.

Anyway, if we're posting glamours kinda went with a Valkyrie look with the Rune Fencer set added in SB.

The time it took to log into Balmung today was almost the same as it took to drive on I-20 from somewhere between Florence and Columbia SC to Atlanta. When I stopped for gas and a bite to eat driving home from my folk's place, I used my MiFi and a surface tablet to sign into my pc at home and join the queue. Was off by about 10-15 minutes...

Seijuro

81-100 is where things can start getting really dicey, imo. When I was grinding SAM, I would do 51-80 and then reset since there's still a lot of people leveling the new jobs.

I actually tried it once to check cause I figured why not. Felt about the same tbh. Mind you it was on RDM who has heals for emergency, so maybe skewed. I had about 60/60 at the time too so not amazing by any means.

It just felt longer though, larger floors and stuff maybe, some of the monster types had more hp in higher floors. And some of the bosses took longer.

150-200 is apparently when it starts getting really tough, before that it's not so bad. Have to remember you can solo up to 200 though if you know what you're doing/don't get too unlucky, so it's not THAT bad regardless.

Thanks for the answers. Will try to grind it out to 100 tomorrow since I want my Kinna weapon.

Did the English VAs change with HW?
Nearly everyone sounds different so far.
As far as I can remember, every single character got changed except Haurcuefant and Aymeric. A lot of them are improvements, but even still, it was a huge shock to be used to certain identities and suddenly have them shifted completely. I still miss old Alphinaud, Yda, and Thancred.

What's worse is Square Enix kept it a fucking secret. We didn't know until launch day.

Tiops

Last fight is sooo goooooood, OMG. I'm actually scared of a Extreme version for it.

And it's way harder than Heavensward last battle too.

xkramz

Any 4.0 summoner build rotation??I know it's easier and simple now. But I wanna know what pros are doing. I'm only level 53 and have yet to start on HW but I wanna an prepared when I continue unlocking the rest of my abilities

duckroll

- Doma Castle
- Doma Castle boss
- Lakshmi
- The new half of The Peaks

OMFG. This game is SO GOOD. <3

One thing I fucking hated at the end of the Doma Castle sequence though....

What the fuck is that lameass scene with Gosetsu holding the entire ceiling and going "hurry, save yourselves" and then EVERYONE JUST STANDS AROUND AND TALKS.... AND TALKS.... AND TALKS.... even after he was shot THREE TIMES IN THE CHEST. Like Jesus Christ motherfuckers, this guy is DYING and trying to save your asses, I don't think he needs you to be all chill and just stand there slowly talking about how valuable he has been to your cause. GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. One of my narrative pet peeves triggered. Goddamnit. Lol.

Finished Stormblood. Thought I wouldn't like the story at first but fell in love with it as time went along. Some of those boss fights were pretty amazing and one up the ones in HW easily.

Final boss was sooooooooooooo good. I enjoyed the fact it was more difficult than ARR and HW's final bosses. Our group got saved by the random Giant's Dominance me and the other healer put out so many times.

The bad:

AST AF IS JUST WOMEN'S CLOTHING AGAIN

Thanks for the answers. Will try to grind it out to 100 tomorrow since I want my Kinna weapon.

The main thing about the last two sets of floors is that the mobs start hitting even relatively high aetherpool character pretty hard and have really annoying AoEs, which make luring traps and landmines a lot more deadly. I wouldn't say they're difficult, but the duty finder can sure make things difficult.

Top Bottom