• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home versions better than the arcade originals

I was playing TMNT: Turtles in Time on SNES and it got me thinking about how much better I think the SNES version is than the arcade game. I was wondering what you all thought about TMNT:TIT (lol) and overall if there are any home versions of arcade games you think are better than the arcade originals, and why

I don't mean stuff like Virtual Console Arcade or any XBLA arcade ports or anything, Also no cheating and saying any Neo Geo games. I mean games that were redone for consoles.

Ninja Dom

Aren't Turtles in Time and Turtles arcade deliberately two different games cashing in at the same time on the Turtles franchise?

Also Ninja Gaiden NES is better than Ninja Gaiden arcade (Ninja in the USA).

Dante83

Banned
Tekken Tag PS2 was also pretty beefed up compared to the arcade version. Man, I miss those DC/PS2 days where home versions took a giant leap over the older gen arcade versions. Now when I see a game like Tekken 7(XB1/base ps4) compared to arcade, I shake my head,,,

SkylineRKR

Tekken 1 and 2.

The first ones graphics are identical on PS1, but you can play as the bosses. Tekken 2 I think was identical on PS1 as well, but you got much more content. And the Arcade AI of Devil who mostly turtled was dialed back.

Soul Edge. A shitload of content, extra characters and 3 masterful soundtracks. This port was amazing. much better than the arcade.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aren't Turtles in Time and Turtles arcade deliberately two different games cashing in at the same time on the Turtles franchise?

Nah, Turtles in time was on arcades too, the SNES port had a bunch of cool additions. Like throwing foot soldiers towards the screen :D

Vorg

Banned
Wasnt Tekken 3 considered better on PS1 than the arcades?

Something to do with graphics, backgrounds etc?

It was the other way around. The background graphics were 3d in the arcade and 2d images in the psone version.

cuate

Banned
Super Contra and Turtles in Time were both superior on consoles. The nes version of TMNT II may also have been better than its arcade counterpart.

The first Contra for NES.

Arcade:

AYli5On.png

NES:

Pi1hI1L.gif

Though the Arcade version looks better on a technical level, the artstyle is incredible ugly, but more importantly, the NES version has much tighter controls and level design, and all the stages were extended.

The second game's stages were extended for the NES port as well, you even got a new final boss, though in that game I kinda prefer the Arcade version.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Arcade to NES: Rygar, Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon 2/3
Arcade to Genesis: E-SWAT

Shit, forgot Haunted Castle to original Castlevania

cuate

Banned
Double Dragon 2 may be the best example. the nes version is one of the finest beat em ups of all time. the arcade one is forgettable trash.

entremet

I don't know if it was deliberate, but the SNES wasn't as powerful as the arcade hardware the original ran so they made some compromises, while making it more appealing to the home market and taking advantage of some of the SNES strengths--Mode 7.

But it is still seen as a port.

Krooner

I was playing TMNT: Turtles in Time on SNES and it got me thinking about how much better I think the SNES version is than the arcade game. I was wondering what you all thought about TMNT:TIT (lol) and overall if there are any home versions of arcade games you think are better than the arcade originals, and why

I don't mean stuff like Virtual Console Arcade or any XBLA arcade ports or anything, Also no cheating and saying any Neo Geo games. I mean games that were redone for consoles.

I'm afraid the arcade versions full vocal theme song proves you wrong OP.

petran79

Banned
Arcade versions of Turtles had better gameplay(4 players),animations,design,voice samples and intro. They were harder too. No way I'd pick the NES game over the arcade original.

Still the NES version of TMNT1 was the best.

I'd say Tech Romancer. Fulp story mode for each character and better graphics with VGA on Dreamcast.

Darkstalkers on Dreamcast was the equivalent of Street Fighter Hyper Fighting.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 console ports too.

Neo Geo CD titles included also arranged soundtrack,extra story scenes and voice acting for some games.

Castef

Banned
Street Fighter EX.

Did not like the original arcade version, loved the Plus Alpha edition on PSOne.

gelf

Anyone who says SF Alpha/Zero 3 on PSOne is gonna get spanked :V
Well PS1 might be my last choice but any home version of Alpha 3 that has world tour mode is better then any of the ones that don't.

I'm partial to home ports with added features in general. Arcade perfect isn't the be all and end all.

Forward

Saw the thread title, came in to post Turtles in Time. OP did his job.

Ninja Gaiden comes to mind, also.

Genesis Forgotten Worlds was infinitely better by way of being somewhat fair.

Tizoc

The missing animation frames have a certain charm ��

Not when I gotta lose Gief's vodka and Blanka's juice machine >=/

Well PS1 might be my last choice but any home version of Alpha 3 that has world tour mode is better then any of the ones that don't.

I'm partial to home ports with added features in general. Arcade perfect isn't the be all and end all.

IMO nowadays it's more about Arcade Perfect+; Keep it close to the arcade but offer additional stuff. Like with SF Zero 3, you can toss in World Tour mode, but gimme the usual craziness like Top Tier Karin, etc.

Forward

Arcade versions of Turtles had better gameplay(4 players),animations,design,voice samples and intro. They were harder too. No way I'd pick the NES game over the arcade original.

SNES Turtles in Time had way better bosses, better stages AND better mechanics. If the hardware could have handled four players and the requisite mob numbers for balancing such, nobody would claim otherwise.

brainpann

What the.....

Can someone explain to me exactly HOW Turtles in Time arcade is inferior to the SNES port? SNES TIT is one of my all time favorites but I can't think of anything it does better tgan the arcade version.

Btw - yes you cam throw foot soldiars towards the in the arcade version.

SNES Turtles in Time had way better bosses, better stages AND better mechanics. .

Im going to have to check this. I distinctly remember arcade and snes tit having the same bosses and stages. What better mechanics are you referring to?

Edit-ok, did a little fact checking and yeah, the arcade didnt have as many levels as the snes version and the consenus is that thr controls arent as tight.

Ocaso

Everyone says Turtles in Time, and while I mostly agree, the fact that the SNES aversion has such comparatively choppy animation compared to the arcade always sours that argument for me. The Genesis version of Turtles, which isn't really a port, retains the SNES gameplay (minus throwing enemies at the screen) while restoring the animation frames, so it clearly could have been done on SNES as well.

Contra is my favorite example of this. The arcade version just isn't as much fun as the SNES version. As with all NES ports there were compromises. Soul Calibur was the first home port without compromises.

NZerker12

Capcom vs SNK 2 Dreamcast.

I believe it uses the same Naomi board as the Arcade version and has extra characters and features.

lazygecko

That's why Final Fight One on GBA is my favorite version of the game. Far from "arcade perfect", but more than makes up for it by being absolutely filled to the brim with extra unlockable features. Even going so far as making the SFA3 versions of Cody and Guy playable and giving those versions unique dialogue.

Forward

Everyone says Turtles in Time, and while I mostly agree, the fact that the SNES aversion has such comparatively choppy animation compared to the arcade always sours that argument for me. The Genesis version of Turtles, which isn't really a port, retains the SNES gameplay (minus throwing enemies at the screen) while restoring the animation frames, so it clearly could have been done on SNES as well.

Contra is my favorite example of this. The arcade version just isn't as much fun as the SNES version. As with all NES ports there were compromises. Soul Calibur was the first home port without compromises.

Leatherhead, Tokka, Rahzar, Krang. The added stages. Weren't the Turtles even more distinct, on the SNES? Paper Raph?

NES Contra and Super C were the most fun to be had in the series. The arcade and SNES don't even come close.

Synth

The Genesis version of Turtles, which isn't really a port, retains the SNES gameplay (minus throwing enemies at the screen) while restoring the animation frames, so it clearly could have been done on SNES as well.

It's not at all safe to assume that the SNES could do something because the Genesis could (and vice-versa).

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Genesis Forgotten Worlds was infinitely better by way of being somewhat fair.
Easier maybe, but that was due to less enemies/sprites on screen. Still prefer the Arcade version due to the 360 puck and the Genny being an exact copy with less graphical content.

lazygecko

It's not at all safe to assume that the SNES could do something because the Genesis could (and vice-versa).

Might have been a cart space thing since Turtles in Time is a lot longer than Hyperstone with more level art assets, leaving less room for character frames.

I'm not really sure why they cut throwing enemies towards the screen in Hyperstone though. It is clearly not a special hardware effect in the SNES game, since if it were Mode7 they would have needed to sacrifice a background layer to do it, and if you pay attention it looks pre-drawn/calculated with only 3 frames or so for the zooming animation.

HCgamer

There is no comparison between the arcade game and tmnt II the arcade game the arcade is far superior sound graphics gameplay.

Super Contra and Turtles in Time were both superior on consoles. The nes version of TMNT II may also have been better than its arcade counterpart.

WYh5j7v.png

The SNES version allowed any of the pilots to use any plane, added more planes and weapons as a consequence, gave each character more of a specific playstyle, changed up all of the levels, and some other junk. You give up co-op, but that's a small price to pay.

HCgamer

I have never seen a ghouls n ghosts arcade cabinet in person I am basing my opinion on capcom classics collections the sega genesis version plays much better more memorable game.

Top Bottom