• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart | Community Thread | *Insert Profanities Here*

Vic_Viper

Looking to get Mario Kart 8 and 2 Wii controllers for my niece and nephew. Anyone know where to find the best price for Mario Kart 8 is? Does the game ever go on sale, and would you expect a sale to come around Easter? I have a buy 2 get 1 free coupon for Gamestop, just wanted to see if there was still a better deal atm since the controllers are $25-$35 and the game is $45.

Which controllers do I need to get? Just want a regular Wii-mote since their hands are still a little small and they like the motion controls. Is there anything special I need to get for them to be able to use just the regular Wii-motes on the Wii U?

Talking about this controller:

802561b.jpg

Is there a Wii U specific Wii-mote? And what is the diffrence between the Wii-mote and the WiiU-mote Plus in terms of Mario Kart?

Roo

Looking to get Mario Kart 8 and 2 Wii controllers for my niece and nephew. Anyone know where to find the best price for Mario Kart 8 is? Does the game ever go on sale, and would you expect a sale to come around Easter? I have a buy 2 get 1 free coupon for Gamestop, just wanted to see if there was still a better deal atm since the controllers are $25-$35 and the game is $45.

Amazon has it listed for $47 so it seems to be in line with the best price you will get for a brand new copy. Nintendo games rarely go on sale so no, I wouldn't expect one around Easter. Anything can happen tho, you can check different sites around that time.

Which controllers do I need to get? Just want a regular Wii-mote since their hands are still a little small and they like the motion controls. Is there anything special I need to get for them to be able to use just the regular Wii-motes on the Wii U?

As far as controllers go, the Wii Remote alone is enough. If they like motion controls you don't need anything extra. Just hand the controllers to them and they're ready to go.
I'd suggest a Nunchuk or Wii Pro Controller to go with the Wii Remote as they're more comfortable to use but they're totally optional.

Is there a Wii U specific Wii-mote? And what is the diffrence between the Wii-mote and the WiiU-mote Plus in terms of Mario Kart?

There's no difference between the two. The Wii U branded Wii Remotes are just that, rebranded.
In fact, I don't think you can find (Wii) branded controllers or non plus versions anymore.
Internally they're literaly the same so they won't have any impact gameplay wise.
Not to mention Mario Kart doesn't make use of the extra motion sensors anyway so it doesn't matter if it's a regular or Plus controller.

This is what you will be looking for:

wii-u-black-wiimote.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that for me.

I have the Wii U pro controller now but since their hands are still a little small, they cant get their thumbs up to the sticks. They are getting old enough though to want to play games like Mario Kart and the regular Wii-mote seems like it will be just fine for them. They are already playing racing games on their Kindles with motion controls, so it should be pretty easy for them.

atr0cious

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that for me.

I have the Wii U pro controller now but since their hands are still a little small, they cant get their thumbs up to the sticks. They are getting old enough though to want to play games like Mario Kart and the regular Wii-mote seems like it will be just fine for them. They are already playing racing games on their Kindles with motion controls, so it should be pretty easy for them.
Go to Nintendo's store, they sell like new refurbished wiimotes with nunchuck for ~$25. Though it looks like they're out of stock on the bundle at the moment.

Top Bottom