• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

TheFallen

MrNyarlathotep said:
Ah, okay - so it's not 'trading' the actual item, its just for showing off your loot?
Correct. It's just a .jpg image file. Pretty standard for a game like this. It's like taking a screenshot of your loot. Say you got a crazy Shotgun that shoots acid bullets with great stats and you want to show GAF. Well, you can export the item card and post it for us to see. Otherwise, the only way we'll ever see it is if we play with you. Since the game has over 17 million guns, it makes it hard for anyone to discuss loot without this feature. Many players will never see the same gun.

Daigoro

i just wish you could customize the look of all of the characters, not just the color of the clothes and the name.

this kind of reminds me of PSO in some ways. but without the character creation apsect.

still, it looks like a cool game. if impressions are good ill probably pick it up at some point.

A guy I used to work with last year single-handedly sold me on the game in less than ten minutes. PS3 version, will be signing up in the GAF meetup thread shortly.

Absinthe

Great thread TheFallen. I suggest we get the title changed though..

Borderlands | The Official Thread of 87 Bazillion Guns!

:D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
Did not know this. But won't it be odd having two of the same character model? Or is that customizable too?

I think there's some basic customization, color of the clothes and hair and things like that.

Absinthe

ZealousD said:
I think there's some basic customization, color of the clothes and hair and things like that.

Ya, your limited to Name and 3 different colors, it's a little disappointing. I wish there was more character customization, but the rest of the game is ace, so I'll live.

1136638-borderlands4_super.png

This just went from "might buy it" to Day 1 thanks to the OP

I'll be getting the 360 version first then may pick up the PC version depending on the number of friends that do the same.

Burger

If you make a great OP for a major release like this (and all the others that grace this board), you should get a free copy of the game from the publisher.

That's all I'm sayin'.

T1tan

Neo Member
I'm very curious about the differences between SP and CO-OP play on this game. I mean if reviewers say, "Oh yeah SP is good but the game is less frustrating in COOP" then I may have to rethink purchasing it on day one. Still this is a fantastic thread. Thanks OP.

TheFallen

T1tan said:
I'm very curious about the differences between SP and CO-OP play on this game. I mean if reviewers say, "Oh yeah SP is good but the game is less frustrating in COOP" then I may have to rethink purchasing it on day one. Still this is a fantastic thread. Thanks OP.
I made some FAQ additions that may clue you in. To summarize:

Singleplayer and Co-op player are virtually identical. The host of the co-op session sets the main quest line progress. Say you're still early in the main quest, but jump into a friend's game who's near the end. You may have a harder time killing foes that are higher level than you, but you still have your friend there who's much more skilled and can pick up the slack.

Main quest progress will only be saved if you're caught up to the host player. For this reason, you may want to host the game yourself and let your friend jump in so that you two may clear the quests leading up to his save point. Once you're caught up, both of you will be able to continue (and save) your main quest together.

Co-op play will always be a better experience in Borderlands. Items, experience, and everything else will be saved of course - regardless of who you choose to play with.

If you've played World of Warcraft, it works much like the quest system in that game. I hope that answers your question.

T1tan

Neo Member
TheFallen said:
I made some FAQ additions that may clue you in. To summarize:

Singleplayer and Co-op player are virtually identical. The host of the co-op session sets the main quest line progress. Say you're still early in the main quest, but jump into a friend's game who's near the end. You may have a harder time killing foes that are higher level than you, but you still have your friend there who's much more skilled and can pick up the slack.

Main quest progress will only be saved if you're caught up to the host player. For this reason, you may want to host the game yourself and let your friend jump in so that you two may clear the quests leading up to his save point. Once you're caught up, both of you will be able to continue (and save) your main quest together.

Co-op play will always be a better experience in Borderlands. Items, experience, and everything else will be saved of course - regardless of who you choose to play with.

If you've played World of Warcraft, it works much like the quest system in that game. I hope that answers your question.

It does. Thank you very much for replying to my post. I'm off to re-read the FAQ now.

Gowans

I love co-op and I love loot games, going to be all over this on release the problem is I doubt I can talk 3 mates into it.

Last recommendations I talked buds into for these reasons were Too Human and Sacred 2 which didn't grab anyone.

Hopefully this will be very different as it's a shooter.

Nocebo

Can't wait! But I'll have to... a week longer than console owners to boot. PC release date makes me sad. What I like about this game is that it's drop in / out whatever so you can play your multiplayer session alone and have friends drop in on you right?

Excellent work on the OP by the way.

Burger said:
If you make a great OP for a major release like this (and all the others that grace this board), you should get a free copy of the game from the publisher.

Agreed. Nicely done TheFallen.

It's official, 1 week away!!

squall211

I would totally pick this up if it wasn't for Demon's Sould, U2, and Racket & Clank all coming out two weeks apart. Maybe when I'm done with those!

senahorse

Regarding the PC version. Do we know anything (apologies if answered) about the server browser and/or matchmaking for this game. A simple system like Titan Quest would be sufficient, start a game, drop in and drop out, and also being able to see the level of the players in the game you intend to join.

edit: the drop in/drop out part is answered, but what details can you view when searching for a game with randoms?

edit2: It's P2P, no dedicated servers (according to a thread on Steam). So I guess it will work very similar to Titan Quest, if the host leaves, the game ends.

senahorse

You can play the game in up to 4 player co-op or single player. The game plays just the same regardless, it's just more fun with friends. :D

Mr YuYu

for Fucks sake, this comes out the same day as Forza 3 here in Europe. Don't know which one to buy day 1 :-(

Life can be hard eh..

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Burger said:
Nah, not really. :lol

How do the shields and class mods work? Do they fit into equipment slots? I'm really looking forward to the game, but am wondering if the allure of finding only new guns will keep me interested for very long. It seems like if I were to find a really awesome gun early on, then I would be playing for a long stretch where none of the drops would be worth picking up. I think part of the addictive quality of games like Diablo is that you have a dozen or so different equipment slots to collect items for, so I hope they didn't go overboard with the millions of guns and neglect other types of items to collect.

does anyone know if the pc version supports 360 controller?

I like the idea of playing lean-back but have a nice pc so would prefer for that platform

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i am not normally a wrpg guy, but considering how much FALLOUT 3 sucked me in and completely robbed me of 70+ hours of my life, i am definitely interested in this. keeping my eyes on this thread for impressions to see how things develop; if it looks good, the idea of having another shooter/rpg hybrid to rob me of my largely disposable time is very tantalizing.

VaLiancY

Great OP. I can't wait for this game. I'll probably play as Lillith(since I like buffing party members) or Mordecai for the killer chicken.

Beaulieu

this is the type of game I would normally be all over but something seems really off in these gameplay videos.

Ill wait for impressions

Shins

Banned
I am going back-and-forth on when to pick this up. Many interesting titles releasing in a short window. Disappointing there is no demo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OMG Fallen thanks for posting in the prerelease thread that this was up! Sheesh! :lol

Some things that might want to be added to the OP/answering questions (that may have already been answered but I'm just skimming):

-The Individual price per player if you get a 4-pack is $33.75 (USD)
-Steam preorder for a single purchase is still $44.99 (10% off)
-You can respec at any registration station throughout the game, and eventually insta-teleport between them waypoint style

I will be rolling Mord with an Uber bloodwing see name/av ;P

EDIT: This thread deserves a more epic title! "...of 87 Bazillion Guns"? edit++: See this was already suggested so credit goes to the junior if you use it! :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Moses Donut said:
How do the shields and class mods work? Do they fit into equipment slots?

Aye. Also, grenade mods and equippable artifacts.

I'm really looking forward to the game, but am wondering if the allure of finding only new guns will keep me interested for very long. It seems like if I were to find a really awesome gun early on, then I would be playing for a long stretch where none of the drops would be worth picking up.

Guns will have level reqs just like weapons in Diablo- I can't imagine you'll get into this situation very often. More likely (just like in D2) you'll find something epic and be a handful of levels away from being able to use it, which, I don't know about you, but is one of the most motivating ways to keep me playing another hour :p

Corum

Bad ass thread, nice job.

Is it worth creating a specific Steam Borderlands GAF group? Make it that bit easier to see who's in-game or what not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Corum said:
Bad ass thread, nice job.

EDIT: Er, thought this was the coop thread. Thanks Fallen!!!! :lol

Is it worth creating a specific Steam Borderlands GAF group?

Yes! Please do it. Call it BorderlandsGAF like the XBL one, mention it here and send me an invite to it on Steam and I'll add it!

Make it that bit easier to see who's in-game or what not.

I want a pistol that shoots shotgun shells. First person to find me one gets me as their own personal loot-hunter.

Artadius

I couldn't wait up any longer last night for this post, but glad to see it this morning. Nice job TheFallen :bow :bow :bow

Personal hype levels for this game have reached unheard of proportions since possibly Diablo II simply because that's the type of vibe I'm getting from this title. The developers have not been shy to say that the big D2 has been a primary influence on how they've done things. And, well since D2 is the greatest game of all time, I'm pretty happy about that :D

Corum

Hawkian said:
Yes! Please do it. Call it BorderlandsGAF like the XBL one, mention it here and send me an invite to it on Steam and I'll add it!

I'll leave the honours to your or anyone else who wants to do it, my free time is limited at the moment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cat in the Hat said:
Awesome thread!

I'm getting the Steam version.

Steam id:Relcom

I'll add you here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17954859#post17954859

I've never made a Steam group before. Here goes nothin'.

EDIT: Beaten! Fallen, you're gonna be ninjaing all my sweet loot, aren't you?

EDIT2: Seems dionysus beat me to the punch. Join up, ya'll! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/borderlandsgaf

EDIT3000: Just noticed the new title. :lol Beyond my wildest dreams

Top Bottom