• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount and Blade: Warband |OT|

Eccocid

Vigilant Walrus said:
I hate to be a chubby chaser mate, but seriously, do you know the story about how this game came to be?

some guy did by himself, ALONE. In f**king turkey! And he made his wife do all the textures! It's taken forever to get him this far.

Mate, we need to support the indie devs who really struggled. this is not going out to some greedy fucks who live by the grace of koticks! No! This dough goes directly into the makers education.

i think the company is the only developer in turkey! the cloest developer to them is the mafia guys but they are from the Czech Republic.

They are a studio now. There are other published games in Turkey too but mostly crap tho.

creslin_black

Neo Member
I personally think the mods for the first one make it way more worth it so far than Warband. Roots of Yggdrasil & Rise of Khergits! (Rise of Khergits is pretty buggy though)

Max

I am not Max
Hey how does the general options work? I see difficulty settings, damage vs player, damage vs teammate, and battle size. Is this the difficulty of the single player campaign? Should I have battle size set to 150 or leave it default 71. Set up is really weird.

-Mikey-

My friend has both of these but has been playing the first a lot recently. I think he has some mods that he has fallen in love with. My question is which is better? Does Warband have a good mod community? Is it better in every way than the first? I probably be buying one on Steam this weekend but I'm not sure which one to get just yet.

Tubobutts

-Mikey- said:
My friend has both of these but has been playing the first a lot recently. I think he has some mods that he has fallen in love with. My question is which is better? Does Warband have a good mod community? Is it better in every way than the first? I probably be buying one on Steam this weekend but I'm not sure which one to get just yet.

I havent really tried any mods but if you go to the official forums you can see if the mods you want are in warband. Aside from mods which may not have been ported over there is absolutley no reason to get the original over Warband.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The first time I played multiplayer, I think Gutts was on the other team. He stood in the middle of the field wearing nothing but a robe. No helmet, no shield, no shoes. He was cutting down EVERYONE that got near him. The first time I got to him, I was mounted and he had his two hander in the ready position. I laid my lance down, charged up to him, he jumped up and sliced me off my horse in one hit. Mount and Blade, indeed.

Max said:
Hey how does the general options work? I see difficulty settings, damage vs player, damage vs teammate, and battle size. Is this the difficulty of the single player campaign? Should I have battle size set to 150 or leave it default 71. Set up is really weird.

Hehe, that my friend is the indie feel of it speaking to you:)

Battle Size I think is the size of the amount of armies... Depending on what your computer can handle you might want to adjust the slider down. I always go max to get the great epic battles with many hundreds of people - But really, its up to the individual. Others prefer small skirmishes.

Its funny to try and build an army sorely on decked and geared out archers. you give your lance mens and your swords warriors no upgrades, but you level up all your archers up to the status of godly, and then you just attack small caravans, and basically kill them all in reigns of fire before they even get near you. Thats a cool tactic.

_tetsuo_ said:
The first time I played multiplayer, I think Gutts was on the other team. He stood in the middle of the field wearing nothing but a robe. No helmet, no shield, no shoes. He was cutting down EVERYONE that got near him. The first time I got to him, I was mounted and he had his two hander in the ready position. I laid my lance down, charged up to him, he jumped up and sliced me off my horse in one hit. Mount and Blade, indeed.

Nice! I think it takes more skilled with two-handers for sure. People don't realise how efficently it is to block with a shield. It's a life saver.. but blocking with a two-handed sword? very difficult...:D

arstal said:
I played it, it's a good game, but the MP is lacking in content somewhat, and didn't like the 1 life= wait 4 minutes to start again.

Single-player was good, but not much better then the base game.

It's worth picking up, but I'd say wait for a sale.

BTW even if you get the Steam version, you can download the game off the site and use your Steam CD Key and it works, so you can get the game off Steam (I bought the Steam version since it was 10% cheaper because of this)

4 Minutes to start again is just an option, and not the most popular one by far. But its interesting in some sense, because it ads a counter-strike quality to it. People don't rush in to die. It's quite interesting to see a lone archer, with his entire team dead, sneaking behind the walls and up in the hills trying to take 1 down at a time.

Gamers have become so depended on the mini map these days, that it's thrilling feeling to not be able to see the position of your enemy. It gives it a sniper quality to it, that I have not felt in ages.

Also, you think it lacks in content? The amount of game modes, and options with either co-op(players AND NPCs) to create giant battles, deathmatch, CTF, king of the hill... Maybe you mean the simplicity of it?

I love it. Outstanding, outstanding game!

heringer

I used to play Mount and Blade ages ago. I always thought it was pretty brilliant, but stoped playing when the updates started to demand a lot from my old PC.

How different is this Warband? What is it, basically a retail version of the game? I remember that I bought it when it was still on beta.

Is the game very demanding? Can I play just fine with a regular dual core notebook (and Radeon 4200 I think)?

I would just take a look at the official site or something, but Gaf is the only gaming site I can access from work. :lol

sohois

heringer said:
I used to play Mount and Blade ages ago. I always thought it was pretty brilliant, but stoped playing when the updates started to demand a lot from my old PC.

How different is this Warband? What is it, basically a retail version of the game? I remember that I bought it when it was still on beta.

Is the game very demanding? Can I play just fine with a regular dual core notebook (and Radeon 4200 I think)?

I would just take a look at the official site or something, but Gaf is the only gaming site I can access from work. :lol

Warband is a standalone expansion to Mount & Blade, it has everything that M&B had and it also has a multiplayer mode.

The game is not demanding at all, you can play it on weaker machines no problem.

heringer

sohois said:
Warband is a standalone expansion to Mount & Blade, it has everything that M&B had and it also has a multiplayer mode.

The game is not demanding at all, you can play it on weaker machines no problem.
Multiplayer? Wow, that' new to me. What is it like? Deathmatches?

Mojojo

dam it's hard to get accustomed to the multiplayer after playing TF2 for so long.. seems like i never hit anything :(...
Are there any known issues with some of the weapons? or favored weapons in mp match? seems like most of my kills happen when i use 2 handed ones..

Max

I am not Max
Vigilant Walrus said:
Hehe, that my friend is the indie feel of it speaking to you:)

Battle Size I think is the size of the amount of armies... Depending on what your computer can handle you might want to adjust the slider down. I always go max to get the great epic battles with many hundreds of people - But really, its up to the individual. Others prefer small skirmishes.

Its funny to try and build an army sorely on decked and geared out archers. you give your lance mens and your swords warriors no upgrades, but you level up all your archers up to the status of godly, and then you just attack small caravans, and basically kill them all in reigns of fire before they even get near you. Thats a cool tactic.
So when you increase that number, the wandering groups in single player are larger? Is whatever you set the slider the max amount or something?

Screw it, maxing it. I guess I should leave the difficulty options alone for now though

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Max said:
So when you increase that number, the wandering groups in single player are larger? Is whatever you set the slider the max amount or something?

No, it's just the amount of troops that can be on the battlefield at the same time. Setting it higher makes the game more difficult, since otherwise you can have a small force of elite troops and never be vastly outnumbered in an engagement.

fresquito

Does Polished Landscapes work in multiplayer?

I've played the trial for a few hours, and while I think it's pretty interesting, I don't see myself spending much time on it right now (playing other games that require a lot of time, going out on vacations next week and starting studies next...). PL makes the game look soooooo much better, and I was wondering if I could use it in MP games, because if I finally get the game, that's all I'll be playing for now. Not that without PL support I wouldn't get the game, but it'd make the decision much easier.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Anyone here have any recommended servers for noobs? I of course picked the server with the largest amount of people but it had this 3 lives thing going on and no way in hell i was going to die three times then wait till the round was over.

Akia

So I bought this game due to how awesome the Giant Bomb quick look was and the response in this thread.

fresquito

I've finally bought it. After installing the game, I've installed the PL mod and have tried my first multiplayer game. Then the game would crash. I'm installing it again, this time without PL.

Edit: Is hit detection a bit too dodgy or is my connection?

This is amazing. Mount and Blade is doing terrific, and it's growing. I've been following it's played activity on steam, and right now it's peaking at 4,300 simultaniously. That's amazing for a indie game such as warband. fucking epic: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

the game is growing, and the devs need more resources to let this amazingness expand. We're sitting on gold here. On a gem, and 90% of Gaf does not know or care about this game. It's absolutely brilliant. :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bought this on the Steam Sale and been playing, primarily cRPG. Continually got my ass kicked at first, but been figuring out the game. And with a few levels. I'm kicking ass. Going at least 1 to 1. Sometimes better. I got my first triple kill too, where you fight off 3 at once with a shield and sword(I'm an archer I might add) :lol

There is something so awesomely satisfying as hearing the parry effect as you parry, following it up with a swing to kill the fool!

Still no match for tin cans yet. I can put half a dozen arrows into them, follow by 3 or 4 hits with a sword and they still won't go down. But one shot you. :lol

fresquito

I just downloaded the cRPG mod. It's great. Implementation could be better (having to manage your character out of the game is never the best option) but it's fun anyway.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
cRPG is broken right now so I can't sign up. Has anyone tried the Mount & Musket mod? Such excellent work from that team. Implemented particle effects for the gunshots, cannons that can destroy structures and of course support for over 200 player battles.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game is so good it hurts. I got the cRPG mod installed and running and its brilliant. Not only is what the mod adds great, but all of the cRPG servers I have been on are very active. People chat, communicate and stratagize actively. You start off 100% useless, but after a few levels you can afford a little gear and put some points into a specilization and you can actually start contributing. The Team Elimination matches are tense as hell. EVERYONE THAT LIKE GAMES, BUY THIS ONE.

KPJZKC

My first post I think - I absolutely love this game, have poured at least 80 hours into it!

Also it's nice to see people making the games they want to make, rather than making them solely to milk franchises or make millions (though I wish M&B would make millions)

Only thing keeping me from Warband is that I want it for the multiplayer and have a really crappy connection. On a good day I get about 200ish ping on bad company 2 servers and 400-600 on WoW. Sounds like you need less than 100 for this game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh gracious, I played so much of this already.

In the single player do I have to join someone and pick a banner to get anything cool to happen? None of those patterns look as badass as my armor pre-banner. I mean I guess I could wear something other than heraldic, but I like it.

-edit-
Also, is there a way to lock perspective in relation to your horse? It always keeps looking in the same direction on the map despite where I guide my horse. This would be okay if I was using a regular mouse, but I'm using a trackball and it is difficult to keep the quick speed when sweeping around people. It would be nice if I could say "keep looking 90 degrees to the left of the horse" as I make a pass around a group of guys, stabbing with my spear.

Kayhan

This may be a stupid question but I am not sure how to mod the game with more than one mod.

I have no problem installing a mod and playing it, but what if I want to install, lets say a graphic mod and then some other mods?

This game is great with the cRPG mod, a friend and I just started characters so we're just useless peasants chucking rocks at everything. I've saved up enough money to get a great 2 handed sword but now I'm just a dumbass peasant with a really good sword. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Should have bought a shield first, lol. Name of thegame as a peasant is staying alive long enough to get some good xp and gold. Most of those guys now, if they look at you its over.

I just wanted to go 2 handed to be honest, I like swinging the thing around and killing people in 1 shot, especially other peasants. I usually just stand near the battle behind a wall and if any enemies come up I just hit them from behind.

Dice

Getting a headshot on a cavalry unit from 100+ yards while riding full speed at an indirect angle... so good.

vocab

This game is too good. Once I get done these current batch of games, I'm gonna sink some serious time into it.

Vlodril

Hey. Got this recently and its very addictive. I started playing crpg the multi a few days ago and its alot of fun even for a peasant. What i want to know is if the 100 gold you get at the beginning of the round changes depending to your level. I got a better armor but i cant use it because the gear costs 256 with the better armor. How do people start fully decked out?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Vlodril said:
Hey. Got this recently and its very addictive. I started playing crpg the multi a few days ago and its alot of fun even for a peasant. What i want to know is if the 100 gold you get at the beginning of the round changes depending to your level. I got a better armor but i cant use it because the gear costs 256 with the better armor. How do people start fully decked out?

That number means nothing. if you have purchased stuff for your character through the site, just equip it. You will be wearing it even though the number is red.

Yeah, be sure to click "save gear" when you buy new stuff. I didn't for the longest time and I was getting pretty pissed I had to re-equip everything every game, also make sure you leave and come back to a sever after buying stuff so it activates. If you guys ever see Quzar running around try not to stab me in the face. :lol

Vlodril

Ah i saw the red and didnt try to wear them. Good news then :D

The crpg online is very interesting. The players are a bit god like though. I ve seen people hit me with arrows from the other side of the map and people jumping and hitting other people on horses. Excellent pvp all around.

Dice

jdWqcW.jpg

I probably wouldn't have taken it this far, but those assholes took my first castle when I was saving my village and serving my marshal, then later they had the nerve to ask for a prisoner back while besieging my new castle. It's bad enough they took our cities while we were fighting Swadia, but they also made it so we had to go through their land just to reach the other half of our land and attacked me when I was just passing through!

Anyway, I think I broke it. I captured all of their cities and lords and someone is apparently still asking for them back. What? Welcome to the new king, bitches!

-edit-
Oh, I guess I didn't get them all. I got a hit list now: Belgaru, Crahask, Gastya, Harish, Khavel, Rudin.

Somewhere wandering the fields... probably dumb enough to attack something of mine.

Fitz

Kayhan said:
Come on, it can't possibly be true that this game can only use one mod at a time.

You certainly can use more than one mod at a time, I've got 4 running myself at the moment. It's been a good few weeks since I played so I can't remember 100%, but I do remember installing the art assets for the mods and having to change some lines in an .ini file to load those assets for each mod. I believe most mods should come with a readme that details what lines need to be changed/added in the .ini. The only problem would be mixing some of the large overhaul mods which change similar settings I guess.

Dice said:

:lol

Dice

Ah, "Faction Eliminated"

That's what I like to see! So it is possible to take over the world...

Top Bottom