• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kero Blaster |OT| A Frog for all Seasons (from Cave Story creator 'Pixel' Amaya)

Part of the problem is that Pixel doesn't like programming as much as he likes making games. :p
Working on Steam implementation for a month isn't his idea of a good time.

Well, I don't think it would be the end of the world if you guys put it out without achievements or whatever.

Long story short, it is easier for us to sell a game on a platform we have full control over. Steam is no longer some special golden ticket for developers.

Speaking of a platform that you have full control over, any chance you guys can replace the soundtrack MP3s some of us bought from you with ones recorded at a halfway decent bitrate? :p

duckroll

I'm okay with Kero Blaster not showing up on Steam anytime soon if it means Pixel and Kiyoko Kawanaka are working on a full version of Pink Hour or whatever the hell they were teasing with the final version of it. :)

daydream

Banned
I'm okay with Kero Blaster not showing up on Steam anytime soon if it means Pixel and Kiyoko Kawanaka are working on a full version of Pink Hour or whatever the hell they were teasing with the final version of it. :)

Hell yeah, pink office lady is adorable! I was hoping she would be playable in KB. Wish we had a name for her, also. :eek:

RM8

Is there any way to know if this game has been successful? I can't believe how neglected it is, and I live in constant fear that I'm going to get banned for "promoting" it in every thread I can :x

Is there any way to know if this game has been successful? I can't believe how neglected it is, and I live in constant fear that I'm going to get banned for "promoting" it in every thread I can :x
Like others have said, if they create an iPad version I'll be there day 1 for sure.

JoeFenix

Just picked this up and played up to stage 3 and I don't know... It's a bit dry in terms of level design. There's just nothing going on with the levels so far, flat planes with a couple of bumps to jump over and some non threatening enemies.

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of platforming which I find disappointing. I do really like the music, the game controls well and it's super charming but I'm just not really feeling any sort of excitement when playing. I didn't know much about the game beforehand but I was expecting something more along the lines of Bucky O'hare for the NES in terms of challenge.

I'll play some more tommorow but right now I'm not super excited to get back to it.

UrbanRats

Just bought this and noticed it doesn't support 360 controller (?).
Is there something i can do, or should i just go with XPadder or the like?

I remember playing CaveStory+ with a controller, but i don't remember whether it had native support for it or not.
Either way, i'm sure as hell not playing with a keyboard.

Genki

Just beat it. I liked it, though I wish it was harder. I'm kind of just yearning for more Volgarr though, so I'm probably not representative of the average player. The Pink Slip hard mode was cool. I played the first stage of New Game+ and it seems to be the same only easier because you have upgraded weapons?

Too bad people seem to be overlooking this, would guess it's mostly due to no console focused media talking about it and to a lesser extent not being on Steam.

UrbanRats

So i finished the game.
Somewhat short and definitely much more forgiving than Cave Story+, but still super fun.
Plus i'm not one for insane challenges, so the difficulty curve was alright in my book.

vipermk2

Neo Member
Just completed the game too. Really enjoyed and only wish it was longer. Love the music. Works great with my Snes to Retro USB adapter and feels right.
Spoiler:
How is the fifth weapon unlocked? As when I completed it in my first play through I then selected the option to select the not satisfied option and turn Yellow. Will I get it when complete it the second time round?

Genki

Just completed the game too. Really enjoyed and only wish it was longer. Love the music. Works great with my Snes to Retro USB adapter and feels right.
Spoiler:
How is the fifth weapon unlocked? As when I completed it in my first play through I then selected the option to select the not satisfied option and turn Yellow. Will I get it when complete it the second time round?

It's hidden in various stages in new game+

UrbanRats

How do you access NG+? It keeps making me do the final boss, if i select my savefile.
I'm sure i've missed something embarrassingly obvious, like a NG+ selection on the main menu or something.

duckroll

How do you access NG+? It keeps making me do the final boss, if i select my savefile.
I'm sure i've missed something embarrassingly obvious, like a NG+ selection on the main menu or something.

When the guy asks if you were satisfied with your playthrough, you have to say no.

vipermk2

Neo Member
Played it on NG but:
I fear I missed the 1st power upgrade for the hidden on the first level. I have 2 of those upgrades. And now I completed the game but I dont think theres a way to go back to Level 1 to get the weapon? Because I am now stuck at the boss rush mode. my score:
http://i.imgur.com/CikeicM.png

I am sure I could have done better since I died just once at the final boss.

Gotta love the Wily Boxes:
http://i.imgur.com/BAiaKp6.png

Did anyone found it creepy revisiting the Final Level when you go back to the office and come back out, theres a guy stacking boxes and then theres a long pause when he shuts the door.......

ErichWK

Finally Beat it!! Man it was so good. The music, the art, the story, the bosses. What a great time. I can't wait for Pixel's next project. (at least for the soundtrack). It's games like this that keep me excited about gaming. AAA games tend to bore me to tears, but it's smaller titles like this that get my heart racing and put a smile on my face.

vipermk2

Neo Member
Ahhhh:

b4SZykI.png

IFPE8LA.png

Will be getting this gem as soon as I upgrade to IOS 7 on (which I'm still hesitant to do since I'm on a regular IPhone 4 and I've heard bad stuff).

duckroll

Wait, this is new, right? Was the PC version updated with this? :O

I haven't found that screen yet, but they did in fact update Pink Hour and Kero Blaster on PC earlier this month. Check the downloads on Playism. The Hard Mode for Pink Hour has also gone through another design overhaul. It kinda feels like Pink Hour is a test bed for design balancing at this point. Pretty cute!

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me to go back and check whether the poor-quality MP3s that came with the game/soundtrack bundle I bought back at release had been updated to something actually decent. After about twenty minutes of poking around, trying to figure out what my account was (since the user id isn't listed in the purchase email), trying every username I use anywhere, logging in with every available social network login, resetting passwords on every email address I have access to, I was unable to find any evidence that I ever owned the game, despite having it locally installed and having a receipt in my email:

78966b3536ac84f73d4ba68c7053d221.png

Good thing this game isn't available on Steam or GOG so that, like, people will consider their purchase worthwhile and valuable, I guess?

Aeana

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me to go back and check whether the poor-quality MP3s that came with the game/soundtrack bundle I bought back at release had been updated to something actually decent. After about twenty minutes of poking around, trying to figure out what my account was (since the user id isn't listed in the purchase email), trying every username I use anywhere, logging in with every available social network login, resetting passwords on every email address I have access to, I was unable to find any evidence that I ever owned the game, despite having it locally installed and having a receipt in my email:

78966b3536ac84f73d4ba68c7053d221.png

Good thing this game isn't available on Steam or GOG so that, like, people will consider their purchase worthwhile and valuable, I guess?

Yeah.... same here. Where's my game?

daydream

Banned
it's a shame this game hasn't made it onto steam or any other platform, for that matter, yet

that kind of low-key release isn't doing the game justice in the slightest

Maybe it's as Ultimate_Trainer suspects and they're using it to promote new Kero Blaster DLC? Like how Pink Hour was basically the demo for / prologue to Kero Blaster. One can hope.

Top Bottom