• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ironic as fuck watching a bunch of them roast Trump on Twitter when they've made a living with the fake news bullshit for a better part of a decade.

I don't remember exactly who mentioned it in the past, but enthusiast press was the harbinger of the fake news bullshit. Throw whatever you want against the wall, who gives a shit if you instantly get debunked or if it's flat out false, we'll just do it again tomorrow cause it keeps the lights on.

I know we're in the DC thread and anything comes off as a weird tribal defense, but that's honestly my complaint with the rumor cycle. People are way too susceptible to that kind of misinformation going around. It's fun and games when the topics are fun and games, but when you see responses that are eerily similar to responses about topics that matter, it's like, maybe don't encourage this behavior. Taking a second to think critically about what you've read shouldn't be too hard. But there's always confirmation bias about these things. And, honestly, you see other groups latch onto positive DC rumors and that's troubling as well. Can't just create your own reality like that.

Even going back a few years, you had people seriously asking Sally Field about that bogus Aunt May spin-off rumor. Because Sony had other spin-offs in the works, somebody made it up, and people ran with "Spider-Man is a mess! Spider-Man is a big fat mistake!"

I know we're in the DC thread and anything comes off as a weird tribal defense, but that's honestly my complaint with the rumor cycle. People are way too susceptible to that kind of misinformation going around. It's fun and games when the topics are fun and games, but when you see responses that are eerily similar to responses about topics that matter, it's like, maybe don't encourage this behavior. Taking a second to think critically about what you've read shouldn't be too hard. But there's always confirmation bias about these things. And, honestly, you see other groups latch onto positive DC rumors and that's troubling as well. Can't just create your own reality like that.

Even going back a few years, you had people seriously asking Sally Field about that bogus Aunt May spin-off rumor. Because Sony had other spin-offs in the works, somebody made it up, and people ran with "Spider-Man is a mess! Spider-Man is a big fat mistake!"

That resulted in a good thing with Spider-Man going back to MCU now. Maybe this will wake WB up and make good movies or even reset the whole thing with an crisis movie.

Edit

I really want an crisis movie out of this, made perfect sense and allow for WB to cherry pick who to recast and change their background in the context of the lore. They can even use the TV actors and past actors for the ultimate crossover.

Do we have any new Wonder Woman 4chan leaks or is everything centered around Batman and JL right now?

The Mattel WW Barbie toy line looks great, and I hope we get a statue of Diana in the blue gown with the sword on her back. That shot in the Comic Con trailer is iconic.

Really? I though bad reactions to the rumors and leaks causes Sony to take a step back and listen to Marvel.

I think it was more due to ASM 2 doing nowhere near as well as Sony/Columbia were hoping. It made less money than ASM 1, with a much heavier budget. That'll pretty much fuck anyone's plans up.

ugoo18

I really want an crisis movie out of this, made perfect sense and allow for WB to cherry pick who to recast and change their background in the context of the lore. They can even use the TV actors and past actors for the ultimate crossover.

God no, keep the CW shows and actors as far away as possible from the big screen.

Marvel retaining merchandising rights is what hurt Sony the most. They kept spending more and making less on the movies, and the value proposition tipped. As an example, Warner's reported that DC merchandise made around $4.5bil in 2016.

That resulted in a good thing with Spider-Man going back to MCU now. Maybe this will wake WB up and make good movies or even reset the whole thing with an crisis movie.

Edit

Crisis makes no sense in a cinematic universe of 3 films.

Ross61

Introduce Dick Grayson in The Batman and have him replace Ben Affleck Batman retire and give his role up. Boom, one less pain.

Introduce Dick Grayson in The Batman and have him replace Ben Affleck Batman retire and give his role up. Boom, one less pain.

More or less what I said was going to happen before it was a hot take on the gossip column. And I still think Hammer is Grayson and now might have the role of Batman dropped in his lap.. again.

Ross61

More or less what I said was going to happen before it was a hot take on the gossip column. And I still think Hammer is Grayson and now might have the role of Batman dropped in his lap.. again.

Might as well get someone who's all in as opposed to someone with problems like Ben.

I like Ben Affleck's Batman and hope he plays the role for a while, but if he don't wanna play ball find someone else who will.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
God, if the Justice League trailer isn't GREAT, we're not gonna hear the end of this shit until Wonder Woman's release.

Problem is, since everyone hates the Cyborg and Flash costumes, they're going to hate it anyway. It has to be a 10/10 trailer to even begin to steer the ship back. And the odds of that happening aren't great. DC can't win.

But the cinematic universe of 3 films is in CRISIS.
Let's say I concede your point, how is infinite crisis going to solve it? There's no silver bullet for this situation, just make films that critics can't brutalize and most people like and aren't offended how their mythology gods are portrayed. Crisis doesn't fundamentally change that underlying reason.

God, if the Justice League trailer isn't GREAT, we're not gonna hear the end of this shit until Wonder Woman's release.

Problem is, since everyone hates the Cyborg and Flash costumes, they're going to hate it anyway. It has to be a 10/10 trailer to even begin to steer the ship back. And the odds of that happening aren't great. DC can't win.

Even if it is great people are going to say its a misleading trailer. I reckon if this is going to turn around it will be if JL is well received. A great trailer will probably alleviate some but the real test is JL. Even WW turning out great wouldn't be enough because of the fact that Snyder is still at the helm of JL.

I guess I missed some shit today.

Just John Campea doing what he does best.

Let's say I concede your point, how is infinite crisis going to solve it? There's no silver bullet for this situation, just make films that critics can't brutalize and most people like and aren't offended how their mythology gods are portrayed. Crisis doesn't fundamentally change that underlying reason.

People don't understand how dumb and awkward that would be for Warner Bros especially if people are still under contract. "Hey Ezra, people hate you and your version of the Flash and you're still signed for another 3 films, but here's this completely unproven representation of the character and actor taking over for you. Have fun!"

Ross61

John Campea just posted this on his twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/johncampea/status/831366045185212416
So much for saying "This isn't a scoop, don't run with this". SMH. I believe what I said, but no one should be treating this as a "story".
C4mbAvrXUAAZBiF.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh... Why does he think anyone would actually listen to that warning when he FLAT OUT KNOWS it's perfect clickbait?!?! I don't get it. People aren't going to take the moral high ground in this day and age. They want money. As soon as I watched that segment today I just fucking knew it was going to be a NeoGaf thread by the late afternoon. I just knew it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on this. He knows there is blood in the water with anything DCEU related. I bet if you compared it to the other movie talk videos(I assume it was movie talk where this happened), it would be doing conveniently better than others during the same time period.
Well today's videos is at 62.7k views as of now (10 hours after being uploaded), compared to 96.5k views on their video from Friday.

Just John Campea doing what he does best.

People don't understand how dumb and awkward that would be for Warner Bros especially if people are still under contract. "Hey Ezra, people hate you and your version of the Flash and you're still signed for another 3 films, but here's this completely unproven representation of the character and actor taking over for you. Have fun!"

Indeed, like why would people trust a reset to begin with? WB needs to prove things with results, with their movies, that's how they got in the situation and that's how they can get out of it.

Ross61

It's so weird to me when people say reboot the whole thing. Like, what makes you trust a reboot from the same WB? It's nonsense.

It's so weird to me when people say reboot the whole thing. Like, what makes you trust a reboot from the same WB? It's nonsense.
Because a reboot with an crisis movie can allow them to cherry pick what works and toss out what don't, also people will expect the reboot to come from a mostly different team behind the scene .

IconGrist

Because a reboot with an crisis movie can allow them to cherry pick what works and toss out what don't, also people will expect the reboot to come from a mostly different team behind the scene .

Then you are still left with "They did a Crisis movie too soon" if the follow up movies don't make a difference. You just worsen the product and with what's being presented right now having such an issue the movies are going to get nitpicked in a way you don't see in other company CBM franchises. To me that sounds like a pointless endeavor. Wouldn't it just be easier/cheaper to course correct instead of dedicating efforts to an entire movie that publicly says "WE FUCKED UP"?

Then you are still left with "They did a Crisis movie too soon" if the follow up movies don't make a difference. You just worsen the product and with what's being presented right now having such an issue the movies are going to get nitpicked in a way you don't see in other company CBM franchises. To me that sounds like a pointless endeavor. Wouldn't it just be easier/cheaper to course correct instead of dedicating efforts to an entire movie that publicly says "WE FUCKED UP"?
You seems to have very little confidence that an new team can make a good movie. I disagree that the DC movies were and will be able nitpick unlike other CBM franchise, a good move will be a good movie. Making an entire movie that public announce that we mess up and things will be different / better soon seems like a more fruitful alternative than trying to course correct a train that seemly have gone off the rail and heading into a boulder. Of course I hope WW and JL will be good but noting seems to indicate that so far. A crisis movie with crazy crossover, plot and visuals is also a good opportunity for WB to create something that have not been done in movies. By just being a movie that connect to the new reboot yet maintaining the old continuity mean that the buzz will be large.

Snyder's ass is kicked to the curb or heavily sidelined.
Superman can be fixed easily.
Lex can be fixed easily.
Joker can be fixed easily.
Anything that actually worked can be salvaged without questions.

And it doesn't require a full shutdown and restart.

Immediately write Flash as Flashpoint regardless and it would also serve as a second Justice League movie.

Wonder Woman and Justice League are heavily studied for audience reception.

Aquaman releases as is, Flashpoint is the following movie.

Gotham City Sirens follows Flashpoint with Margot Harley but set in new Batman's context(Ben or not) reboot Joker appears.

Batman movie,
Fixed Superman movie

If Cyborg was favorable continue with him in the JL and a solo.
if not he gets rebooted to Teen Titans.

What do you mean 'nothing seems to indicate' WW being good? We've been burned on good trailers leading to mediocre movies but that doesn't mean the same will apply here. You got the open letter and that one lady on the sk show with a 'source' saying the film is a discombobulated mess but you've got a swathe of other 'leaks' and rumours saying otherwise as well. And imo all of these instances of hearsay are as reliable as each other; which is to say not very much at all.

It's completely understandable to be hesitant on WW and JL after getting burned twice (thrice if you didn't like Man of Steel) but to say nothing seems to indicate that WW will be good is wrong. Am I worried about the negative leaks and rumours being true? Of course. But I'm optimistic. I believe in Geoff Johns' and Allan Heinberg's script. I believe in Patty Jenkins' passion for the character, and I even believe in Gal's skillset to pull off a leading role (she was more than fine in BvS. Keeping Up With The Joneses was a cringeworthy mess but I don't care).

I believe in this movie.

tumblr_oas8jbOHy81uorz8zo4_500.gif

We're finally getting a feature film for DC's most underutilized member of the trinity, and a female lead superhero film after what seems like eons. I am so excited for this.

IconGrist

You seems to have very little confidence that an new team can make a good movie.

You seem to have a lot of confidence a new team would do better than the current team. Especially when the real problem with the current team is mainly the writers, right? Snyder is a competent filmmaker, Ayer is a competent filmmaker, Jenkins, Wan, etc, etc... They just need decent to good scripts. Snyder is already pretty much removed from spearheading the universe, we haven't even seen what kind of job Berg and Johns will do in his place.

I guess my real point here is that its too early to call it.

Snyder's ass is kicked to the curb or heavily sidelined.
Superman can be fixed easily.
Lex can be fixed easily.
Joker can be fixed easily.
Anything that actually worked can be salvaged without questions.

And it doesn't require a full shutdown and restart.

Immediately write Flash as Flashpoint regardless and it would also serve as a second Justice League movie.

Wonder Woman and Justice League are heavily studied for audience reception.

Aquaman releases as is, Flashpoint is the following movie.

Gotham City Sirens follows Flashpoint with Margot Harley but set in new Batman's context(Ben or not) reboot Joker appears.

Batman movie,
Fixed Superman movie

If Cyborg was favorable continue with him in the JL and a solo.
if not he gets rebooted to Teen Titans.

Snyder already got declawed after Batman v Superman. The man is likely done with the DCEU after Justice League is done. He already said his next movie is The Last Photograph.

I also like how people are ignoring the whole contracts issue. Most of these people are under multi-film deals and most haven't even released their first film in that deal yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom