• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher S2 |OT| The Gang Visits New Orleans - Mondays 9/8c

Sir Doom

Really liking the direction this season. A lot dark humor and menacing bad guy.

Nice Camera work during the Tulip fight scenes

Nice Steve dedication.

I'm going to give this episode a go, but they straight up changed so much in series 1 that I'm kind of not interested, the most egregious example being making Jesse's father a preacher and basing his morality in religion. Just a spectacularly bad miss-step I think.

I'm going to give this episode a go, but they straight up changed so much in series 1 that I'm kind of not interested, the most egregious example being making Jesse's father a preacher and basing his morality in religion. Just a spectacularly bad miss-step I think.

Jesse is pretty much a completely different character. Tulip being the group's conscience is odd, too.

But I'm enjoying this, in a Constantine Movie kind of way.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Christ that was shit. Started off well in ep 1, then got so boring during ep 2 that I actually fell asleep and had to rewind.

I love preacher, and this show is at its best when it tells the stories we know, but no, instead we have a bunch of mediocre storytellers replacing a great storyteller's (Ennis) work with their own. It's like what happened in the Hobbit. Jackson et all are good at tightening up source material to work on film, writing their own stuff in like they did in the hobbit, not so much.

I was optimistic after season one of Preacher. Now I kinda don't give a shit. It doesn't feel like Preacher, the characters are very difficult to recognize, and it's just so hard to give a shit about them.

Hate what they did to Tulip the most. She's nothing like in the books. And I don't mean skin color.

The Fiore sequence was one of the most disgusting things I've seen on TV, not because of the gore, but because of the implication of it(The people cheering for an actual murder and not realizing it).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jesse's TV character is still garbage, aye. Tulip... not sure how I feel. She's completely different from the comic, too, but at least she's interesting in some ways? She was obnoxious as hell in S1, but seems better now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD Ratings:

Season One:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 6: 1.5 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.5 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 9: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 10: 1.7 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49

Season Two:

Episode 1: 1.7 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 2: 1.3 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.2 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.3 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 6: 1.2 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.2 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.2 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 9: 992K viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 10: 1.0 million viewers and a 0.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 898K viewers and a 0.3 A18-49
Episode 12: 1.1 million viewers and a 0.3 A18-49
Episode 13: 972K and a 0.4 A18-49

Just saw episode 2. That was really really great. Show is so on point so far. This show has a unique feel/vibe, humour, etc....

just clicks.

sinkfla87

I liked season 1 for the most part despite some changes from the source material. Still barely rose above mediocrity in my opinion though. These two episodes were on a whole entirely different level and I'm genuinely interested now. Poor Fiore :(.

Dalek

L+SD Ratings:

Season One:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 6: 1.5 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.5 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 9: 1.6 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49
Episode 10: 1.7 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49

Season Two:

Episode 1: 1.7 million viewers and 0.6 A18-49

Damn shame.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Monday's are also weird for tv shows I think. I hardly ever feel like watching tv after work on Monday's. I just want to sleep.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Really loved the first two episodes. Haven't been exposed to any of the source material so this is just a crazy ass violent weird show with lots of action and some cool characters.

Hate what they did to Tulip the most. She's nothing like in the books. And I don't mean skin color.
Yeah, Tulip's better in the show ;)

preacher_tulip_fight_my_shirt_by_digi_matrix-dbewpgg.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I remember of Tulip, based on my vague memories of book from a decade or so ago, is that she was a fairly simplistic representation of an "empowered female". Her primary conflict with Jesse was that he constantly left her behind because he wanted to protect her, which she eventually got fed up with. That just seems so out of date now.

That makes her better how?
She has more backstory and depth in the show. She doesn't have to rely on a man like in the comic when she botches her first hit job. There is no hesitation in TV Tulip. I love that in the first episode when she takes out some assassins and comes across a couple of kids, they all make a bloody bazooka made out of "arts and crafts" and moonshine and gives them a little feminist pep talk :p It shows her maternal side combined with her badass ways.

Boy: "Well, what about your boyfriend or someone? Get him to come and help."
Girl: "A girl doesn't always need some stupid guy helping her."
Tulip: "That's right. A woman needs to know how to be strong. Stand on her own. Of course, boy or girl. If you're lucky enough to fall in love, you have to be even stronger. Fight like a lion to keep it alive. So that on the day your love is weak enough or selfish enough or freaking stupid enough to run away you have the strength to track him down and eat him alive."

preacher_bazooka_by_digi_matrix-dbewui9.png

She's not under the male gaze like in the comics.
tulip-on-the-page-3.jpg

It just also helps she kicks more ass, too :D

El-Suave

Watched the pilot yesterday on Amazon in Germany and while I really appreciated the aesthetics, production values and how well it was filmed, I was left confused. I can't say I grasped what the show is about. I feel like I was dropped into a slightly strange universe with almost no explanation or exposition. Being based on a comic book I'm thinking the story can't be too complicated. So is the show more than eye candy and shall I keep watching?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Being based on a comic book I'm thinking the story can't be too complicated

do you even grasp how fucking arrogant and uninformed that sounded like?

not all comic books are capes and superheroes (even those can be "complicated")

El-Suave

do you even grasp how fucking arrogant and uninformed that sounded like?

not all comic books are capes and superheroes (even those can be "complicated")

I didn't mean it insulting like that, I just watched one episode of something that is planned to run for a few years, so of course I don't expect to appreciate the intricacies of the story. A pilot of any show is always a bit of a presentation and and and invitation and I just found it unusual that I grasped so little of its universe.

I hate this show. I fucking hate it. I've read the entire Preacher series multiple times and I'm losing my mind. I understand changing certain things. I have no idea how/if they're gonna do the ENTIRE Grail storyline (don't want to spoil anything). If that has to change, I can almost understand. There is no reason for adding so much.... Shit. Who cares about Arseface in Hell. Who cares about them going to visit that dude in episode 2. What was the point? It was an entirely wasted episode. This is such a rich, detailed story from the source material alone, that I cannot understand why they feel the need to pad every episode with bull shit.

They keep hinting at Jesse's family history (again, no spoilers) but are they actually going to go through with telling that story? How easy would it have been to tell it EXACTLY like they did in the books, and have the group go to Louisiana that way. Why force all this Tulip bull shit? I understand Ennis didn't exactly give her all that much depth, but I feel like a lot of this show is seen through her eyes, when it should be seen through Jesse's. Others have said that it feels off that she is the moral center and not Jesse and I can't agree more. Everything about the show feels off. Jesse is not right, and this is a problem since we are supposed to be following him on this thing he is doing.

What I liked about the first 3 episodes..... I love the Saint. I think he's great. Cassidy is great. I like Tulip, but I just don't like her storyline. Hoover and Featherstone! Herr Starr! Samson Unit! I like the humor. I like the violence.

Also, having Tulip say "Until the end of the world" was a slap in the face to all the comic readers.

It's so easy to write this show. You throw in a line or two to make people happy. Simple. It's stupid shit like this that completely takes me out of the show.

Please don't get cancelled. There's just nothing else like this on TV.

I don't think the show is in any danger, the ratings aren't setting the world on fire but they are solid and I'm sure they improve once DVR/on-demand viewing is factored in. Season 2 has a lot of positive buzz and AMC has been generous with renewing shows. Look at Turn and Halt and Catch Fire.

Watched the pilot yesterday on Amazon in Germany and while I really appreciated the aesthetics, production values and how well it was filmed, I was left confused. I can't say I grasped what the show is about. I feel like I was dropped into a slightly strange universe with almost no explanation or exposition. Being based on a comic book I'm thinking the story can't be too complicated. So is the show more than eye candy and shall I keep watching?

Depends on what you are looking for in a show. Like any show, the tone/vibe of Preacher becomes more clear once you see more episodes. The 1st season almost serves as a prologue for the series, with not a lot of clear focus or momentum. Yet, it does have a lot of funny moments and introduces the main characters and conflict.

Season 2 so far, has more of a clear mission and focuses on the best characters in the show. I think it's funny, unique, and I enjoy the core trio.

RS4-

This season has been pretty good so far.

I barely remember anything about the source material, I actually got tired of reading it maybe halfway or 3/4s of the way through.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Liking this season more than the first so far. The first season seemed to be all over the damn place and this one feels a bit more focused.

obin_gam

I hate this show. I fucking hate it. I've read the entire Preacher series multiple times and I'm losing my mind. I understand changing certain things. I have no idea how/if they're gonna do the ENTIRE Grail storyline (don't want to spoil anything). If that has to change, I can almost understand. There is no reason for adding so much.... Shit. Who cares about Arseface in Hell. Who cares about them going to visit that dude in episode 2. What was the point? It was an entirely wasted episode. This is such a rich, detailed story from the source material alone, that I cannot understand why they feel the need to pad every episode with bull shit.

They keep hinting at Jesse's family history (again, no spoilers) but are they actually going to go through with telling that story? How easy would it have been to tell it EXACTLY like they did in the books, and have the group go to Louisiana that way. Why force all this Tulip bull shit? I understand Ennis didn't exactly give her all that much depth, but I feel like a lot of this show is seen through her eyes, when it should be seen through Jesse's. Others have said that it feels off that she is the moral center and not Jesse and I can't agree more. Everything about the show feels off. Jesse is not right, and this is a problem since we are supposed to be following him on this thing he is doing.

What I liked about the first 3 episodes..... I love the Saint. I think he's great. Cassidy is great. I like Tulip, but I just don't like her storyline. Hoover and Featherstone! Herr Starr! Samson Unit! I like the humor. I like the violence.

Also, having Tulip say "Until the end of the world" was a slap in the face to all the comic readers.

It's so easy to write this show. You throw in a line or two to make people happy. Simple. It's stupid shit like this that completely takes me out of the show.

The show =/= The comic book.

Spuck-uk

Banned

I've read the comic series a dozen times, and I'm glad they've changed a lot, it needed it. The comic doesn't age well, it's deeply flawed, as much as I like it, and wouldn't translate at all 1 to 1 to a TV show.

Jesse isn't supposed to be a 'hero', he's an asshole and a selfish one at that and they keep that going perfectly.

Tulip was little more than a plot point and a pair of tits, and its great that they gave her a proper voice and reason to be there.

Fiore was excellent and I'm glad they gave him some closure, even if it was :(

Spuck-uk

Banned
Is everyone in this show British? Even ze Germans.

I know Hitler isn't German.

All the major characters actors in S2 are British or Irish so far, ayup.

Gilguns Irish accent is brilliant considering how very, very Manchester his normal accent is.

Just seen who
Herr Starr
actor is and, yup, another brit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The entire episode I couldn't stop thinking about how terrible the singer's wig was. I'm glad there was a reason for it haha.

Last two episodes have been alright. They play up the idiosyncrasies of this world a little too much for my tastes. It does establish a unique voice for the show but sometimes I just want them to lay it out straight, instead of it being super quirky and then explaining why later.

I'm liking the little drops about Jesse's family. The one in Episode 2 where the aquarium mirrored water boiling over was brilliant.

Moff

that's really odd
as a non-book reader, I expected to love cassidy the most (from some pictures I'd seen). but he is a huge disappointment, he is just not cool at all and borderline annoying.

I love everything else, though.

I've read the comic series a dozen times, and I'm glad they've changed a lot, it needed it. The comic doesn't age well, it's deeply flawed, as much as I like it, and wouldn't translate at all 1 to 1 to a TV show.

Jesse isn't supposed to be a 'hero', he's an asshole and a selfish one at that and they keep that going perfectly.

Tulip was little more than a plot point and a pair of tits, and its great that they gave her a proper voice and reason to be there.

Fiore was excellent and I'm glad they gave him some closure, even if it was :(

Agreed.

Frankly I'm glad I haven't read the comics if it would have soured me on this great show as it did for a surprisingly large amount of people here.

It took me years to appreciate Preacher for what it was, the journey and not the destination, even if I don't love it.

I am surprised that most of the people I know that loved Preacher for what it was, wanted a story heavy one to one adaptation.

I'm not loving the show, but detours and side tracks seem to be very much in the spirit of preacher.

Top Bottom