• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How I Became Fake News"

Hours after an interview I did with Alex Witt of MSNBC, neo-Nazi commentators started posting about me on 4chan, Reddit and YouTube. These crack researchers bragged that they had discovered I worked for the State Department (it’s in my Twitter bio), that I have a connection to George (((Soros))) (he very publicly donated to the campaign of my former boss, Tom Perriello), and that I spent time in Africa working in conflict areas (information available in major news outlets).

A report by Brennan Gilmore, one of the people who shared video of the attack on the Charlottesville counter-protesters. Pretty crazy stuff. It's a bit long, so check the whole thing out at the source..

Fake News me if old..

FUME5

Trump has parroted Infowars several times, something even Infowars founder Alex Jones has described as “surreal.” Hannity dined with Trump a few weeks ago. Did I actually have to worry that the president of the United States might launch an investigation against me because I happened to capture footage of a white supremacist terror attack and spoke publicly about what I saw? I realized I couldn’t rule it out, and that frankly scares the hell out of me—for my family, but particularly for our country.

Just, damn.

Holy shit that article is terrifying, what that guy and his family are going through...reading one-liners and Simpsons jokes in this thread really feels kind of awful tbh. This is serious as hell. It really brings home the danger of the post-fact world the right wing has fostered since the neo-cons.

Between this and Sandy Hook, Alex Jones probably belongs in jail for his act. He's destroying real lives and causing all sorts of trauma for money and attention.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
After reading about how state media in Russia is handled I have no doubt the disingenuous reporting sites are taking cues from that hell hole. But what can you other than report the truth?

Shauni

After reading about how state media in Russia is handled I have no doubt the disingenuous reporting sites are taking cues from that hell hole. But what can you other than report the truth?

I really feel like in these cases there could, or should be, some type of legal defamation case or something.

fanboi

Banned
You know, you should only be allowed access to the internet if you take a two day course in critical thinking and logic plus an IQ test.

The amazing part is literally how fucking stupid these far right wing people are. There has got to be a correlation with inbreeding going on in these right wing conspiracy circles. That and exposure to super fund sites or some other environmental negative externality. I'm convinced that there is literally something physically wrong and likely chemical imbalances with these people.

dopplr

Question for you guys, do you think the rise of these idiots is due to lack of a real social life and purpose, thus they gravitate to this hate group which honestly emulates the shitty internet culture(trolling too) pretty well?

Like from what I've seen, these guys live on sites like reddits TD/twitter etc.

Question for you guys, do you think the rise of these idiots is due to lack of a real social life and purpose, thus they gravitate to this hate group which honestly emulates the shitty internet culture(trolling too) pretty well?

I'm pretty sure many of them have little to no face-to-face social capabilities. Social media is definitely fucking up youth left and right.

HariKari

They grew up on 4chan. Conspiracy theorist nutbags have always been around, it's just easier for them to find each other now. Sprinkle in a lot of economic and sexual frustration and you've got a group that's primed to hate pretty much whatever can be blamed other than themselves.

No. I grew up on 4chan and never really had a huge social life. Also I've never believed in things like there being 'purpose'. But here I am the exact opposite politically to those embarrassments of humanity. I think I just grew up and they didn't. Went to school, met other people from different backgrounds, and learned form it. Meanwhile they're mostly uneducated and think college is some place people go to get brainwashed. So they naturally avoid any legitimate facts or knowledge and retreat to their little white echo chambers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Great article, thanks for sharing.

My parents feel similarly and took having their address posted online by hate groups in stride. Within days a letter showed up in their mail, containing four pages of text explaining why I would burn in in hell, as well as a suspicious white powder. While the powder was a hoax, their local police department took all the threats seriously, confiscated the letter and stepped up patrols around the house. My parents’ sole precaution was to pick the remaining tomatoes from their garden, “so the Nazis wouldn’t get them.” Even in the South, there must be a limit to our hospitality.

I love this part. Save them tomatoes from the evil Nazis. Sounds so wonderful it could be a scene from Inglourious Basterds.

Holy shit that article is terrifying, what that guy and his family are going through...reading one-liners and Simpsons jokes in this thread really feels kind of awful tbh. This is serious as hell. It really brings home the danger of the post-fact world the right wing has fostered since the neo-cons.

Between this and Sandy Hook, Alex Jones probably belongs in jail for his act. He's destroying real lives and causing all sorts of trauma for money and attention.

I'll never understand how that fucker has a following..it's infuriating.

I really feel like in these cases there could, or should be, some type of legal defamation case or something.

Agreed..

Top Bottom