• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Fancolors

Because the writer spends years provided tons of evidence for characters being into each other that it is basically encoded in their DNA, then at the end the staffers make an executive decision to ignore the years worth of character interactions and romantic feelings both on and off panel, to show us a pairing that was not canon at all, its simply unrealistic and unreasonable. Just see Naruto, there was nothing there to suggest NaruHina, all the evidence pointed to SasuNaru as canon. Even post Shippuden content still strongly implies SasuNaru, in Boruto being proudly raised as if he is Sasuke's and Naruto's son.
I'm having a hard time deciphering if this is a joke or not.

No, I remember him marrying a bunch of girls then a new bunch of girls showed up and kidnapped him with the implication.

IIRC the 4 girls weren't new they had been introduced earlier in the series. He does end up marriying all 8 though.

What I'd do is the biggest "fuck you ending"
First I'd have the harem of about four or five, do several chapters of teasing and "will they won't they" and all that shit. Then in the last five chapters, introduce a new character that immediately connects with the protagonist, and they end up together while the rest of the harem is told to piss off.

I'd drink sooo many tears.

There seems to be one on /a/. Then again that might just be one or two assholes trying to push an agenda.

While it my be a bigger "fuck you" to the audience for the character in the story it makes some kinda sense. Obviously if he didn't click with any of the crazy thirsty girls thats why he just didn't start dating one of them, a new girl he gets along with actually makes sense in context of the character. In context of harem shit it makes everything before it pointless I'll agree.

MANUELF

Banned
Because the writer spends years provided tons of evidence for characters being into each other that it is basically encoded in their DNA, then at the end the staffers make an executive decision to ignore the years worth of character interactions and romantic feelings both on and off panel, to show us a pairing that was not canon at all, its simply unrealistic and unreasonable. Just see Naruto, there was nothing there to suggest NaruHina, all the evidence pointed to SasuNaru as canon. Even post Shippuden content still strongly implies SasuNaru, in Boruto being proudly raised as if he is Sasuke's and Naruto's son.
This Is the one time I agree with your Yaoi pairings, Naruto loves Sasuke so much that the mere though of Sasuke being truly Evil was enough to make him pass out and never forget the ending of Shippuden with they holding hands

What I'd do is the biggest "fuck you ending"
First I'd have the harem of about four or five, do several chapters of teasing and "will they won't they" and all that shit. Then in the last five chapters, introduce a new character that immediately connects with the protagonist, and they end up together while the rest of the harem is told to piss off.

I'd drink sooo many tears.

IIRC Tenchi in Tokyo was like that but then the status quo was reset at the end.

Madoka Magica - Sachikano (SFW doujin)

KhzNTzu.jpg

It's fitting that this was the final released Madoka Maitake book to be translated, because jesus christ my heart. I'm not convinced I could survive another one.

... No, that's not true. Maitake has basically been powering my heart for the past few months. If I drew up a list of my top 10 yuri it'd almost exclusively be filled with her work. It's not just because of the subject matter - I've read a bunch of other HomuMado that did comparatively little for me - it's her understanding of the material, creative genius and fantastic sense of humour, which allows her to write some really imaginative scenarios while mixing both comedy and seriousness to hold the reader's interest. Yet despite her creativity, she never commits my cardinal bugbear of departing far enough from the source material that it simply feels incidental.

It's possible that there're still a few shorts left to be translated, but suffice to say, these main releases will be greatly missed.

re:shipping. I mean, I guess I'm not one to talk, as I do enjoy it, but then again, I can't think of a single time I've not shipped the official pairing. Sweats nervously at all his Bumblebee, Whiterose and Valduggery Pinterest posts.

EDIT:

Nukoduke Ch101-102: I'm always up for
more
Nukos!

I mean mostly in that authors tend to try and satisfy all of the different fandoms they have. It leads to Waifu Wars when you tease Tsugumi stuff, and then Onodera stuff, then end with Chitoge, but its the fans problem for not being able to accept that their chosing pairing doesn't happen even if the author panders to it.

TVTropes points out that "Shippers' level of investment can range from 'It's all jolly good fun' to 'This seriously impacts my enjoyment of the work' to 'Prepare for war.'" It's the children that are wrong.

Most harem series its even pretty obvious that all the side characters are going to lose anyway. Like in Nisekoi, I mean we all knew who it was going to come down to at the end. In a lot of cases, people should be glad their waifu doesn't end up with a shitty harem MC.

Well, out of all your weird parings that will never happen, I can at least understand the Sausuke and Naruto thing. This still gave me a good chuckle though.

Pre-timeskip: Naruto chases Sakura for years
Post-timeskip: Naruto and Sasuke barely interact until the very end

Yeah, "evidence". I agree that Hinata felt very forced because they barely interacted as well, though.

Nihei is great at creating interesting sci fi worlds, but he has never been good at pacing the story, particularly when it comes to building up to the climax/ending.

hmhm. is quite interesting how he appears to have mastered the anticlimax, however. Pulls those all the time. Laughed out loud when there was a huge buildup for the fight with the drill-finger guy, dude goes JET MODE *pew* ded. Same thing when machete-guy was introduced, you already kinda know what synth humans can do, so expect a huge fight with an agent that can actually harm one => cut to panel with head caved into torso.

Also helps that it creates such a stark contrast with his use of time dilation, and that he also provides plenty of well-constructed standard action scenes.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch152

That new technique is pretty cool.

Bright and Cheery Amnesia ch6

Being incapacited is little bother when they have each other.

Nukoduke! ch102-103

Not sure about these new guys, but more nukos should always be a good thing.

Beastars ch21-25

Guess it's going to be even more messy with Juno in the mix. That ghetto was also all kinds of disturbing, but at least there's quite the badass panda watching over.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch15

Well, he's certainly reacting like a parent would.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch31-32

Friends are important. I wonder if his ex-wife will appear soon.

So, one of my friends recommended Koi No Kotoba to me last week, somewhat out of the blue and offhandedly. Now I know why. My god, does this manga make me go through a whole range of awkward and uncomfortable emotions. At first, it seemed to be a somewhat cute, more adult depiction of an age-gap relationship, with me expecting the girl to be in high-school or something.
Nope! She's in her last year of middle-school and is having full-blown sexual relations with this middle-aged-manga-hentai-artist-dude. After getting over my initial oh moment, I continued reading. I am not a quitter! And it only managed to continue getting worse, in terms of scenario and better, in regards to its depiction. Not a manga for those who would get triggered by this, but it is - somewhat - well thought out in its development of the characters and their thoughts. Whether these thoughts are healthy is another matter entirely.
And yes, I have read part of the current selection of chapters scanlated before, but I'd forgotten about it, wasn't until later I remembered reading this before.

In other, similarly uncomfortable news, I started re-reading Bitter Virgin again. And boy, did I forget how much of an arse the main character is in the first volume. Which, does kinda make his change somewhat jarring after he finds out what's what.

Fancolors

Beastars 21-25
Very interesting. I don't think I've ever read a story like this. I guess the closest equivalent in premise would be Zootopia, but this differs significantly in that it deals with animal instinct as something both carnivore and herbivore constantly need to live with while being a coming of age story. I like how the animals in this world are fundamentally different from humans, and yet, manage to be relatable.

barber

Ubel blatt 152: looks like he finished the blade, i guess the manga should be about to finish. Pretty good manga with tons of gore, nice history and pretty down to earth until shit happened in the last arc and WW ocurred. A decent substitute for Berserk with a decent release schedule

Innocent Devil 3

TmsjiTL.png

Ok, so between this, the clothes sniffing, the human shield and the whole serial killer thing, this is probably not someone who should be working with children. The devil vs devil battles are pretty intense, largely because it's too early to be 100% sure that Akane isn't going to get killed off. Gonna assume that kid's dead, but it was unintentional so whether that triggers sensei's fissure theory remains to be seen.

Beastars 21- 25

Kinda hilarious given the discussion that just happened in here LOL

Also Bill continues to be a POS

Really liked the use of the inherent dichotomy for the newest character.

Fancolors

Neverland 40
The kids resourcefulness never fail to amaze me.

King of Idols 1
Idols? Meh. I'll give this a chance since it's Wakaki.

Maou no Hisho / Satan's Secretary 3

Make the demon army great again. Well, it's true that listening/reacting to your underlings is an important step to ensuring workplace satisfaction. Secretary x tentacle monster can wait for the doujins.

Nordicus

Haru no Noroi 4-5

Damn, damn damn damn. In short succession, not only did she learn that Haru's boyfriend genuinely liked her, but also that Haru was secretly a little bitter about it.
There's weird schaudenfreude in these things happening to Natsumi, but it's more that these things are forcing her to introspect.

Onideka 17
At some point I've come to accept that my interest in this series largely hinges on the designs of Kiryuin's adversaries. Well, there're worse reasons to read something I guess.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 64

Yuuna OP, pls nerf. So ends Kogarashi's chance at true happiness. Hopefully she'll become a reoccurring character.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch254

Guess I need to do more foot stomps.

Flying Witch ch33

Such intelligent cats. Too bad someone was too uptight to let them wander freely.

Maou no Hisho ch3

Code:
[img]https://s22.postimg.org/6ktdkpkox/maou.png[/img]

This almost got super interesting here. However, she's right that workers' rights are important.

Hime-sama Tanuki no Koizanyou ch8

Hard to take this edgelord seriously.

kasane

homunculus end

Holy shit

My brain

Holy fuckomg shot

The ending

Im dead

Tje very last few pages was fucking mental sublime idk howbto describe ot, i got chills, i dont even know if its bad or good. My god

kasane

Im not a BL stan but come on if im gonna agree with DTLs ramblings it would be with naruto, sort of.

Naruto was just gay for saskue.

/s

But actually its pretty gay

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hinomaru Zumou 132
MORTAAAAL KOOOMMBAATTTT!!!!

Really enjoy what the author has done in terms of the pacing and progression of the series. The fact the traditional climax was the previous fight along withthe character development the antagonist had really enhances it. While were now having a fight with the protagonist in the maturity stage.

Oni ga deru ka ya ga deru ka 1
It's time to test the 'monster girls improve everything' theory. This's a pretty standard romcom setup with the MC having a childhood encounter with his destined waifu, only to reunite with her a decade later and discover she's actually a lamia. Not sold on the lead duo or monster girls having 'normal' forms, but will give it a chance regardless. If only because of spider girl's potential.

Promised Neverland

They have no defense against moving creatures, I cant see how they can last long without offensive abilities.

Food Wars

Tentacles could have been on a more appealing male character :( otherwise, Prince of Smoke having relevance again was awesome. I do hope he gets his own arc before the manga concludes.

RxL

This chapter really made me even more excited for Everybody Loves Golf (PS4), especially the curve moment around the trees.

Dr. Stone

Well, knew he didnt die.

BLack Clover
DBAQn6IXkAEzFQ0.jpg:small

Leo making it a competition was the best especially with Yuno trying to remain in character and cool. Loved Dorksta comment, best bros.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Im not a BL stan but come on if im gonna agree with DTLs ramblings it would be with naruto, sort of.

/s

You're going to agree the ending was non canon because Naruto didn't have sex with Sasuke?

Chase17

One Piece 866
Pretty interesting flashback so far. It's been nice to see the villains more fleshed out between Doffy and Big Mom. Mother Carmel should have maybe been a bit more strict. Tough to expect a kid to go 12 days without eating.

Promised Neverland 40
I'm looking forward to all the twisted wildlife that these kids are going to have to survive.

MHA 139
Arc is really picking up. It's weird to see Nighteye in the field lol. The Deku/Kirishima team up panel was great. Like what they are doing with Tamaki.

We Never Learn 13-14
Yuiga going super hard in a PE class for extra credit is pretty funny. He's a pretty good protagonist. Chapter 14 was pretty good until the ending. Back to back chapters end with a variation of one of the worst tropes. Made it even more flagrant as they grouped these chapters together this week.

Robot x Laserbeam 10
Robo looking even more broken. He's going to be picking up all of the super moves I guess. Nice to see that his interest is going up though. I'm liking all of the top 4 of his school so far. Hopefully this match is over like Karasuma said, and they just cut to the aftermath of it.

Black Clover 111
Yep, this is a hot springs chapter. Asta's decleration at the end was funny. So was Yuno/Leo this chapter. I guess we have confirmation that the one blue knight does love Charlotte (if we didn't know that already).

I like that the only significant parent appears to be Noelle's mother. Not sure we knew that her mother was a powerhouse before, but I could have forgotten.

Dr. Stone 12

Kind of lame but expected. I like Senku so I guess I'm ok with this. Interesting how this was part 0, and we will now see the months Senku was awake before Taiju. Tsukasa inference that this was a get away plan, and the explosion had no intention of hurting him doesn't really work for me.

phaze

I don't understand what there is to get mad about. Granted, I dropped RE months ago, but did anyone other than Touka's fans have a horse in this race at that point? ...Etro fans?

Fucking Arima stans man.

I mean it says right there it's about Hidekane.

Don't really think we should pay so much attention to what is probably a few dozens of delusional people.

Viz Shonen Jump 5/29/17

Food Wars

So unless the other new guy is gonna get a big blow out after having not been shown this whole time it's gonna be a clean sweep. This fight felt rushed especially when compared to Soma and Nene's battle.

One Piece

So Big Mom was always legit cray, surprised we got mo explanation of her abnormal size yet.

The Promised Neverland

I really like the idea of a survival arc where a fantasy book is the thing that helps them survive the creatures they encounter. Wonder how they'll continue to outwit the demons.

We Never Learn

First chapter was dumb and focused on worst girl

Second chapter felt like one that actually moved the story forward and for the first time gave me the feeling that Ritsu is the girl who the mangaka has planned to "win". Falling kiss cliche aside I'm glad that maybe someone besides sports girl will realize they like Yuiga.

My Hero Academia

Series continues to do a fantastic job of balancing all the named characters and their powers in a way where everyone feels useful in a natural way. MHA sets a new standard for how to have a large group of characters on one team all feel useful during an arc.

Robot x Laserbeam

Maybe the mangaka could be more like robo and read some other good sports shonen including his past works to make a better series.

Black Clover

Fan service check
Yuri bait check
Fujoshi bait check
Throw away page to justify this story wise check

Dr Stone

What difference a translation makes. When I read the fan translation I had a hard time understand what was happening in the chapter. I also somehow missed the panel of the skull snapping back into place.

I'm glad Tsukasa and Senku aren't dead they were easily the best part of the series and I have a hard time seeing another antagonist surpass Tsuaksa without it feeling forced.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fucking Arima stans man.

I mean it says right there it's about Hidekane.

Don't really think we should pay so much attention to what is probably a few dozens of delusional people.

But Hide is dead

(lol)

PK Gaming

/s

Naruto is gay for Sasuke through sheer incompetence on Kishimoto's part. Same with Madara's obsession with Hashimara. The guy has a talent for unintentionally crafting these super intimate and emotional relationships between men that have romantic undertones.

Top Bottom