• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yea, I agree. Honestly I do want Sony to be focused 100% on games and giving up so much RAM to non gaming tasks FEELS like a deviation from that even when at the end of tha day it doesn't really matter technically.

Just my point of view.

Its fine to have that reservation. Let me reword it as...don't worry about it until we hear facts and not just unconfirmed rumors. :)

nib95

Banned
Another source debunking the ram ratio. Now I'm curious where Leadbetter got his info from.

Whats even more interesting and totally unrelated to this topic but mentionned in the article, he never saw his money from RCR Wii port, the pathetic sales numbers from the WiiWare version of RCR is less than 3k combined, ugh.

Same place he got the number "seven" from "several"? Ie, a source mixed in with plenty of his own conjecture.

Facism

Does Leadbetter actually dislike Sony? I know he was a huge Sega fanboy back in the Saturn/Dreamcast days and from what I remember, was not fond of Sony back then.

Is the consensus that he has an agenda or is it just a theory?

He had a bit of an anti-sony agenda back when he was editing the Official Sega Saturn Magazine.

I assume he's grown out of such petty nonsense since then, though :)

This actually makes sense as to why the games ran worse on PS4 now. So the question becomes how does this effect PS4s bandwidth as the same RAM is being used for its framebuffer? If a third of its available bandwidth was devoted to OS tasks then you are definitely going to have trouble hitting 1080P at 60fps. The xbox one shouldn't be affected due to using the eSRAM as a dedicated framebuffer. So while games wont look as "pretty" on the xBONE they should run faster at higher resolutions... The GPU in PS4 could actually technically become bandwidth starved.

There isn't one bit of truth in this entire paragraph...

RayMaker

Banned
It was not good enough last week when Xbox One only have 5 GB available. Microsoft is behind, making box for non-gamers, bloated OS and not forward thinking and box already obsolete by awesome 7GB of PS4 super duper RAM.

Now that PS4 might have just 4.5GB, of course that is plenty for next gen. Sony is just being forward thinking so they can match Xbox One features by allocating more RAM for OS. Though to be clear Sony never copy Xbox and everything they did is better (even though they follow MS on everything from cross game chat, UI, achievements, and on-line games behind pay wall. Of course, the pay for on-line is now OK, because Sony need money for R&D and make things better, Microsoft on the other hand is greedy as fuck and ruin gaming).

I have a lot of problem with Xbox One especially the lack of BC and their unclear message on DRM, but seriously do some of you guys actually read what you write.

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

ASIS

Cmon man, the Wii U is facing consoles with clear cut advantages over it. What's facing the PS4 that has such an advantage or an advantage at all, in the console sphere?

That is not my point at all. My point was expectations Vs reality as stated in my previous post. People, for whatever reason, thought they were going to have something like 90% of the RAM reserved for games while only a little for the OS. Now that it turns out that its not the case, people are disappointed.

That's the reason, but they should only blame themselves really. I still don't understand why this is such a big deal anyway.

Takuya

Banned
didn't these 3 all agree that ff 15 was exclusive to PS4?

And there is a reason why none of them are banned for "false information".

Don't know if they know eachother outside of gaf or are real life friends, but there are many more insiders that know the same information but just aren't vocal about it.

Omerta

If a "journalist" disliked a company enough to fabricate a story, I'd like to think that he or she would do a better job of it than this.

I'd have gone with "PS4 CAUSES CANCER" or something similar.

It stuff like this that makes me hate calling myself a gamer sometimes. He shouldn't even have to do this. It isn't his job nor is it his place to put other in their place about their wrong assertions. I'm grateful that he was able to shed some positive light on a terrible unnecessary topic but it just disgust me that we are in times when gaming can't be determined by how good a game is. It's determined by 0.5GB of RAM...Wtf is going on these days? Seriously.

Which ever the case, I'm glad Sony doesn't feel pressured into spilling wrong figures out with some many good devs on their side speaking out for them. It does make me feel like Sony did a good job of coming around this gen and wising up listening before hand while building a good relationship with devs. It stuff like this that makes me feel that we should give them some credit from that huge mess up they did back with the PS3 launch.

From my understanding, they went with with SRAM because AMD doesn't have any (or much) experience with eDRAM. SRAM is the same type of memory being used for CPU caches. Out of the bigger players out there, only Intel and IBM fab CPUs with eDRAM. Also supposedly eDRAM is trickier to deal with when it comes to process nodes. I believe IBM's is still on 45nm.

I'm sure someone else would be better at explaining this, but that's more or less it in a nutshell.
That makes sense.

Still going to be one of the costliest mem approaches I've ever seen.

Kyoufu

He had a bit of an anti-sony agenda back when he was editing the Official Sega Saturn Magazine.

I assume he's grown out of such petty nonsense since then, though :)

Great magazine, that. Leadbetter was my hero back then.

Anyways, you guys can doubt BLR/thuway/Kagari all you want, but an actual PS4 developer has came out and said that this is false.

Read it. There has been a lot of "new information".

If you cant give me a quote can I at least get a page number so I know what Im looking for? I don't think any new information would change the fact that total bandwidth used for gaming purposes would still be affected. Further that wouldn't mean the eSRAM in the xBONE would be used for anything other than a framebuffer.

Finally some clarity. Big ups to all the members who did some digging to uncover the truth. GAF can sleep peacefully tonight.

But fuck Eurogamer and Digital Foundry. They're on the ban list alongisde Kotaku and Giant Bomb.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thuway said Sony was helping with development so yes it has to be exclusive. Sony is not going to let MS have a game they helped make.

They were at one point. They aren't now aside from co-marketing so take from that what you will. They're still helping SE with FF14 however and SE have publicly said as much.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok so I just got done packing some stuff up for moving to a new place. Last time I was here, Thuway and Bruce just corroborated on a possible 6GB of RAM allocation. What did I miss since then? :eek:

Barzul

I really don't get the uproar about this, when the console releases and the teardowns start we'll be able to get an actual number. That or dev will reveal the number when the NDA's expire. Isn't the GPU the most important factor for graphical quality anyways?
On another note has it been confirmed that the Xbox One game OS can't access any of the 3GB reserved in the Windows partition if needed?

The part where xbone still remain behind ps4 specs. The post about the xbone advantages it's just crazy. xbone has not a single advantage over ps4 specs even wtih more of 500 MB of ddr3 RAM .

Dear Sir, I am talking specifically bandwidth used for the OS. Can you specifically tell me what the bandwidth usages are???

We know
1) eSRAM cannot be used for anything more than a framebuffer due to RAM size so no OS activities would use it.

2) PS4 has unified bandwidth and we know that a certain amount of it will be unavailable. PERIOD. The question is how much.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
There was a lot of behind the scenes chatter suggesting it was, even among known employees. It didn't pan out in the end but it doesn't mean that there wasn't talk of it out of multiple reliable sources.

were they the same sources who told you sony wouldn't charge for multiplayer?

i-Lo

Ok so I just got done packing some stuff up for moving to a new place. Last time I was here, Thuway and Bruce just corroborated on a possible 6GB of RAM allocation. What did I miss since then? :eek:

• Assertion about Bruce, Thuway and other insiders pulling number out of their arse.
  • Assertion that Bruce, Thuway and Kagari often confirm each other's claim because they are friends.

If you cant give me a quote can I at least get a page number so I know what Im looking for? I don't think any new information would change the fact that total bandwidth used for gaming purposes would still be affected. Further that wouldn't mean the eSRAM in the xBONE would be used for anything other than a framebuffer.

I'm thinking maybe you should bookmark the thread and come back to it later.

You're probably better off to start here: http://bit.ly/13lzOyQ

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This actually makes sense as to why the games ran worse on PS4 now. So the question becomes how does this effect PS4s bandwidth as the same RAM is being used for its framebuffer? If a third of its available bandwidth was devoted to OS tasks then you are definitely going to have trouble hitting 1080P at 60fps. The xbox one shouldn't be affected due to using the eSRAM as a dedicated framebuffer. So while games wont look as "pretty" on the xBONE they should run faster at higher resolutions... The GPU in PS4 could actually technically become bandwidth starved.

The problem I see is that modern PC cards like Nvidia Titan use 6GB VRAM alone.. PS4 and XBone use 5~ GB for ALL RAM including system. Obviously the argument of a streamline gaming OS is invalid as Win 7 can use OS RAM footprint of 1GB. Technically you could theoretically use a 16GB system RAM and 2 6GB cards for a total of 12GB VRAM and 15GB system RAM today... It would be unreasonably expensive but possible from off the shelf parts today..

I really don't know Im just speculating.

What on earth.

The OS isn't using a third of the bandwidth, just a third of the ram. When a game is being played the OS will be using hardly any ram bandwidth, but it will sit there in its 2GB so it can be switched to instantly, along with any apps Sony wants to run. When in the background the OS will use a little CPU but hopefully that is not too much. When in the foreground the game will be suspended so the OS can use all the CPU/GPU if it wants.

It stuff like this that makes me hate calling myself a gamer sometimes. He shouldn't even have to do this. It isn't his job nor is it his place to put other in their place about their wrong assertions. I'm grateful that he was able to shed some positive light on a terrible unnecessary topic but it just disgust me that we are in times when gaming can't be determined by how good a game is. It's determined by 0.5GB of RAM...Wtf is going on these days? Seriously.

Which ever the case, I'm glad Sony doesn't feel pressured into spilling wrong figures out with some many good devs on their side speaking out for them. It does make me feel like Sony did a good job of coming around this gen and wising up listening before hand while building a good relationship with devs. It stuff like this that makes me feel that we should give them some credit from that huge mess up they did back with the PS3 launch.

We all know what going on here, friend. Gaf does a good job of shielding it but the console wars are whats going on here. Behind many of these intelligent sounding posts is a line in the sand where one stands on the side of sony/microsoft/pc. Many friends on this board probably wish they had the freedom just to say F (sony microoft pc) but then someone would report them and they wouldnt be able to pots here anymore so instead, friends sensationalize trivial things which allows them to participate in this quiet war we have going on here. Its so artistic.

The part where xbone still remain behind ps4 specs. The post about the xbone advantages it's just crazy. xbone has not a single advantage over ps4 specs even wtih more of 500 MB of ddr3 RAM .

This isn't true.

Their eSram solution should be blazingly fast. Depending on how it's used and where I can see games being rendered at a higher resolution (pretty sure a 1080p framebuffer can fit into that 32MB) or can be used as a quick and easy way make up for any fillrate heavy transparency issues. It's also much more flexible versus the 360 eDram solution. Actually designed similarly to WiiU's. Using it as a scratchpad for some notable hardware deficits.

I'm just more centered on the cost of it. It just seems like a very expensive solution.

I know... You think people would have learned by now.

When I first came to this board around February or so.. Thuway was banned for wrong info on the X1 I believe.

Hey.. people get them right and wrong. Not saying always.. but it can happen. I saw him banned that one time.

disclaimer.. in no way am I saying that is happening now.. just saying I've seen him get banned before.

No matter any of the RAM talk, one thing is for sure. Both consoles are going to have great games this new generation. I can't wait for both.

Loudninja

were they the same sources who told you sony wouldn't charge for multiplayer?
Look people get things wrong several members in fact confirmed that,things change.

We have a lot of legit people on gaf that's right most of the time Crazy commented on the rumor even though he as not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom