• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Trojan X

Banned
You know. They better get the diary transfer working between 1 and 2 (would be awesome if it could transfer to 3 too).

I really wished they never removed the training mode. I felt like a true martial artist training everyday to get my moves to maximun efficiency and to evolve. Losing that feature in shenmue 2 was a little painful.

What am i doing?! Don't fall into the sega trap. Wait for the official announcement.

Shenmue 1 has aged poorly. That game is all about getting lost in it's world and that's much harder to do in 2017. Shenmue II has aged much better, it's still fun, has much more action and a better story and characters. And the last section of that game is still really unique.

Played it for the first time in 2014, it was fucking incredible. Timeless, age really has nothing to do with it.

I've been waiting for this for so long. I don't know how many times I've gotten my hopes up.

Also there's no doubt in my mind that Shenmue 3 is next year. Almost every Kickstarter does that with estimated release.

EDarkness

Sounds awesome. I hope it ends up being on multiple consoles so everyone gets a chance to play it. I've been thinking about to playing the game again, so this would be right up my alley. I hope they have both audio tracks, though. I really hate the English dub of the game.

Spaghetti

I'll believe it when I see it, but I legitimately think SEGA would be dumb as fuck not to do it. If they make good on promises they want to do it right, then I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

As for Shenmue III, YSnet deserve the benefit of the doubt for the moment that they can hit December 2017 as planned. There are people in this very thread who've seen the game last year who can tell you that more work has been done than they've shown. Maybe by some act of AM2 wizardry it's achievable. I won't feel particularly sore if they delay to 2018, though. After 15 years of waiting for the game to even be announced, a delay into next year seems like a fuckin' cake-walk.

The thought initially was Shenmue 3 would be largely in South Korea, but I think it is now mainland China.
Naw, Shenmue was always going to be the story of a young man's self-discovery through China even from the VFRPG days.

ar4757

I'm skeptical of Atlus USA related info, because they're pretty bad with dates, although that is from working with the unaccompanying Atlus JP. Since the remake is very likely not being done by Atlus JP, I'll believe this rumor haha

Something like that, yes.

But that is all mostly out the window with Shenmue 3 which has basically changed the "plan"

Shenmue is in a mid-sized city in Japan.

Shenmue 2 is primarily in Hong Kong

The thought initially was Shenmue 3 would be largely in South Korea, but I think it is now mainland China.

:O"""""""

Yep. This is a win win. A cheap port that would make Sega some money, and would bump up the preorders for 3. That's the reason I haven't backed it. I can't just start playing a series three games in.

Dabi

haven't played the first two games so I was def. left out when part 3 was announced and people were going batshit crazy. Need this to be true. I want to see what the hype is about lol.

They'd be stupid not to do this when Shenmue 3 is on the way. Right now the only way to play 1 & 2 is by digging out a Dreamcast and an OG Xbox and buy used old copies of these games which is ridiculous.

I backed Shenmue 3 for $60 even though I never played the first two so Lord knows I could use this HD Remasters soon.

ianpm31

Shenmue 3 delay was inevitable. I kept telling myself that there is no way it's hitting dec 2017 so remasters is good. What a time to be alive

Spaghetti

Feels like we heard about the domains already?
Yeah, before Christmas, I think.

But a few people in the Shenmue community knew about the registrations months before the news broke on games websites, and absolutely nothing has come of them yet. I wouldn't take those domains or even this latest rumour as a given that anything is happening any time soon.

Although I'd like to be wrong. I've just wrapped up another playthrough of Shenmue II and would happily go back through the whole thing again in a remaster.

joms5

Day 1 baby.

This will undoubtedly hurt the resale market on the originals too. Everyone wins. Except re-sellers.

EDIT: Granted that the HD treatment is done properly that is.

I would let my cynicism get the better of me, but it's just increasingly hard to believe that sega would let 3 come and go without capitalizing on it.

As an aside if/when these release, I greatly look forward to monthly-ish threads from series newcomers telling us all how much it sucks. The open world genre has come so far and the stuff shenmue does is so specific that I imagine it's only going to connect with a certain percentage of people

Elios83

Yeah it makes sense to announce them at E3 among with the first gameplay trailer of Shenmue 3 (which I also think will be delayed to spring 2018).

Would it be realistic to expect the remaster to use the Shenmue III engine and assets? It makes sense in some regards, like keeping a consistent art style and possibly saving money.

Of course, some assets would have to be remade, unless they up-res well enough.

Never played these games but I backed 3. I'd really really rather I didn't have to resort to watching some LPs to catch myself up for when 3 releases. You know what to do, Sega.

Spaghetti

Would it be realistic to expect the remaster to use the Shenmue III engine and assets? It makes sense in some regards, like keeping a consistent art style and possibly saving money.
Remaking the game in UE4 would not save money, and tbh, very few assets from III would carry over outside of character models.

tanuki

An HD Remaster that a) shortens or removes the loading screens and b) removes the character pop-in would be amazing.

Remaking the game in UE4 would not save money, and tbh, very few assets from III would carry over outside of character models.

I'm just concerned if they want to attract new players to III, the originals couldn't be modernized enough to change existing perceptions. Not without a major overhaul that would essentially turn it into a full on remake.

Spaghetti

I'm just concerned if they want to attract new players to III, the originals couldn't be modernized enough to change existing perceptions. Not without a major overhaul that would essentially turn it into a full on remake.
SEGA wouldn't spring for a remake, unfortunately. Even if they did, you'd ideally want Yu Suzuki at the helm and he's already sleeping at the office and working weekends to get III done, so that's not going to happen.

From an archiving perspective too, it'd be best if a Shenmue remaster was largely "as they were" in the original Dreamcast releases with some optional gameplay tweaks, slightly improved visuals at higher resolutions, and higher quality sound.

I'd say on the gameplay side we can probably expect more to be done to the original Shenmue than the sequel. Shenmue II was always more user-friendly, and rolling in the improvements (time-skip, most notably) will probably go a long way to making the first game more acceptable to audiences.

Shenmue is probably still going to be a divisive game regardless (although it's very much possible to love it even in the modern era), but I'm hoping a packed-in Shenmue II will shine a light on the much-improved sequel which shows what the series is really about and why people loved it all this time.

ianpm31

SEGA wouldn't spring for a remake, unfortunately. Even if they did, you'd ideally want Yu Suzuki at the helm and he's already sleeping at the office and working weekends to get III done, so that's not going to happen.

From an archiving perspective too, it'd be best if a Shenmue remaster was largely "as they were" in the original Dreamcast releases with some optional gameplay tweaks, slightly improved visuals at higher resolutions, and higher quality sound.

I'd say on the gameplay side we can probably expect more to be done to the original Shenmue than the sequel. Shenmue II was always more user-friendly, and rolling in the improvements (time-skip, most notably) will probably go a long way to making the first game more acceptable to audiences.

Shenmue is probably still going to be a divisive game regardless (although it's very much possible to love it even in the modern era), but I'm hoping a packed-in Shenmue II will shine a light on the much-improved sequel which shows what the series is really about and why people loved it all this time.

All I ask for is improved loading times (that's a given) and improved controls. Everything else is a bonus. I already have my dreamcast along with S1/S2 (import) and it's just time to retire it all for good. I think my dreamcast is on it's last legs lol

Miang

giphy.gif

OH SWEET JEBUS LET IT BE TRUE

I never got to play them the first time around, and they sound like the sort of games I'd love.

Spaghetti

All I ask for is improved loading times (that's a given) and improved controls. Everything else is a bonus. I already have my dreamcast along with S1/S2 (import) and it's just time to retire it all for good. I think my dreamcast is on it's last legs lol
It'll be interesting to see where they go with control improvements. Shenmue II already had a few (tighter turning, Ryo's run speed is a bit slower and easier to manage), but you're always navigating realistically designed spaces in those games so the controls need to have a heavy deliberateness to them not to make navigation a fucking nightmare.

Maybe if they point out that you can fine tune your position by pressing B + analogue stick head movement people will have an easier time with it?

I think I can safely say they won't be adding freecam outside of maybe fights, though.

ThEoRy...

Having recently finished 1 and 2 on my Dreamcast I would agree with some of the suggested improvements. Less loading, time skip for 1, less or no pop in, modern controls. I wouldn't touch much else.

I don't think we should get too excited just yet either. We've been down that road before. Let's wait for SEGA to step up and actually announce something before we start jumping for joy. Hoping for the best though.

kitzkozan

Would be foolish to not use the Shenmue 3 hype so yeah

It's a foregone conclusion for me, as I suspect people who got into gaming in the last 10 years don't know anything about the franchise. SE is doing the same thing with Kingdom Heart, as gamers can play the saga on the PS4 while waiting for KH3 (1.5 & 2.5 will be available soon and 2.8 has been released recently).

You know. They better get the diary transfer working between 1 and 2 (would be awesome if it could transfer to 3 too).

I really wished they never removed the training mode. I felt like a true martial artist training everyday to get my moves to maximun efficiency and to evolve. Losing that feature in shenmue 2 was a little painful.

What am i doing?! Don't fall into the sega trap. Wait for the official announcement.
Considering your avatar , i'd say that you've jumped into the trap with a smile.

Join us!! the hype train is not full yet

No smoke without fire and all that. I think with the ridiculous success of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and Shenmue mania that resulted around E3 2015 that must have motivated Sega to finally push for HD remasters since it's the easiest money in the universe and with 3 on the horizon they're destined to sell well.

Expecting an announcement at E3 along with hopefully a Shenmue 3 reveal.

Lucumo

Those faces will never not look off.

I backed 3 despite never having played 1 or 2 back in the day. I was aware of them being highly regarded at the time but I never owned a Dreamcast.

I have since watched the Giant Bomb endurance run of the first game but I would certainly play through it again.
Watching a game being played counts as "playing through it" these days? Ouch.

sw26

Would welcome this.

I backed 3 despite never having played 1 or 2 back in the day. I was aware of them being highly regarded at the time but I never owned a Dreamcast.

I have since watched the Giant Bomb endurance run of the first game but I would certainly play through it again.

Make it happen Sega!

Top Bottom