• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

EvB

And you wouldn't call that deception?

Jeez, they are promo shots.

Next time I go and watch a movie that doesn't have a shot that looks identical to the poster I'm gonna kick off bigtime.

Even more so if they haven't airbrushed each and every frame to make the actors faces look more attraction.

Apath

Gotta be fair guys, Bungie did pull a little bit of it out of their ass with H3's promo. (not that it matters though)
A little bit? Compare the H3 announcement trailer to the actual cinematic we got in Halo 3 (that the announcement trailer was based on). It's completely different and looks much worse in the actual game.

Izayoi

Banned
BULLSHOT!! Give me an picture without compression artifacts and then we can talk.
Something that I still don't understand. It's fucking 2012 and developers still refuse to release screenshots in PNG. Why? All JPEG does is degrade the quality of the image and make the game look worse than it actually is. With the market penetration of broadband, there is literally no reason to continue releasing such horribly compressed screens.

monome

Funny, the article even says: "new engine 343 have designed".

Well that is that, gentlemen.

yep, it's intriguing. But I put it under the "lot of tinkering" rather than start from scratch.

Corinne Yu's statement and gamerlive info makes me think there has been heavy lifting anyway in how the world around the Chief works.

Makes sense as gameplay from CE is still loved, and the showcase probably did not put too much emphasis on the new ennemies AI.

Still a long time before release, I'm not excpetcing the craziest of reveals just yet.

Yo Gotti

Banned
All of the Halo games look good, but there hasn't been a truly impressive one since the first.

Halo 1 was able to be massive and gorgeous because it was minimal and clean. From Halo 2 on it seems like the artists lost their way with the art style. The game environments got too busy and as a result are downright ugly in places. Not to mention problems with aliasing and blurriness in Halo 3 and Reach.

I'd love to see 343 overcome this with some engineering wizardry, but what I'd really like to see them do is go back to the original art style where there's nothing in the environment that doesn't serve a purpose.

Rad Agast

MC is back ;-) Screens look great and I can't wait to see some videos.

I think that I'll just play through all the past Halos in anticipation of this new sequel.

So it was excusable because they had no idea that the actual consoles would never produce such images at an acceptable framerate?
Who is even talking about Bungie? WTF are you on about? Your complain is that a completely different developer showed the game too early and wasn't indicative of the final product and equating it with 343 who has waited just a few months before release to finally show off the game.

The two situations are NOTHING alike and you're incessant babbling about it is really stupid.

Apath

All of the Halo games look good, but there hasn't been a truly impressive one since the first.

Halo 1 was able to be massive and gorgeous because it was minimal and clean. From Halo 2 on it seems like the artists lost their way with the art style. The game environments got too busy and as a result are downright ugly in places. Not to mention problems with aliasing and blurriness in Halo 3 and Reach.

I'd love to see 343 overcome this with some engineering wizardry, but what I'd really like to see them do is go back to the original art style where there's nothing in the environment that doesn't serve a purpose.
I thought Reach was very impressive. There were quite a few massive engagements with a ton of stuff going on, both in the background and right in front of you, all the while looking great. But yeah, I agree with the blur going on.

That wouldn't go down well nowadays. In some magazines I used to read at the time the PC port of the first Halo was already criticized because of that clean but bare design.

GavinGT

Banned
Do you honestly think they stand financially to gain from a couple of doctored promos? I see your point but other than creating debates like these, its main purpose is to look nice.

Yes, I think positive initial word-of-mouth leads to increased sales. No shit it does.

Would you? If so, why? You know the term in-game exists and yet they use the term in-engine. That should alert you.

Because in-engine doesn't necessarily imply that they're running it on a machine comparable to the release hardware. It doesn't necessarily imply that the trailer wasn't rendered at 2 frames per second.

Who is even talking about Bungie? WTF are you on about? Your complain is that a completely different developer showed the game too early and wasn't indicative of the final product and equating it with 343 who has waited just a few months before release to finally show off the game.

The two situations are NOTHING alike and you're incessant babbling about it really stupid.

I've already addressed this and you just keep calling me stupid. I'll ignore you until you have something to add.

Vire

It's a shame it doesn't show off the environments since that's always what I've loved about Halo the most.

reach_0292.jpg

reach_0730.jpg

reach_1086.jpg

reach_1256.jpg

reach_1389.jpg

reach_0835.jpg

Reach is an amazing looking game IMO.

Can we not have the thread title changed? I came to have a look at some Halo 4 screenshots but got the usual bullshot garbage.

EvB

yep, it's intriguing. But I put it under the "lot of tinkering" rather than start from scratch.

Indeed, Corinne Yu tweeted that the Engine has a very sophisticated Lighting and Atmosphere systems, which is something Bungie were always very proud of / used as a scapegoat for any other failings the engine may of had.

I'd be more than happy with a game that looks like Reach but with a bit more anti-Aliasing.

Alan Wake American Nightmare runs at a lower res than Halo 3 does and with all it's crazy AA Techniques, it looks silky smooth.

Yes it is.
No, it isn't.
Supersampling is one of the ways of solving this problem. Samples are taken at several instances inside the pixel (not just at the center as default) and an average color value is calculated. This is achieved by rendering the image at a much higher resolution than the one being displayed, then downsampling (shrinking) it to the desired size, using the extra pixels for calculation.
As it was mentioned before, it would only be supersampling if they had downsampled the high-res screenshot to 720p. As it stands, you can see any and all flaws present. It's not being supersampled.

EvB

You can also see in game quality texture assets being used on the black bits of the armor, if they really wanted to make up some bullshots, those would be uber res too.

Because in-engine doesn't necessarily imply that they're running it on a machine comparable to the release hardware. It doesn't necessarily imply that the trailer wasn't rendered at 2 frames per second.

And how is that deceiving? They're not implying anything (your use of the world necessararily). Aren't you deceiving yourself by making yourself beleive it's in-game? Or deceiving yourself by making yourself beleive that the developers say they're showing you in-game footage, while it's in-engine (basically making youself beleive that developers are lying to you on purpose) ?

When dev's show in-engine footage, it's to demonstrate what their engine is capable of. From that point on, it's scaling to meet the hardware performance. To generalise it, the in-engine is comparable to a PC game at max setting and the in-game footage is that same PC game, on inferior hardware on a lower setting. Exactly the same tech, but lower quality.

As for Halo 3's reveal trailer, with the shiny MC, the spartan models in the Halo 3 beta did look like a lower quality version of that model. What we see in the final game is a choince of artstyle. As for the reflections in the visor go, didn't happen. Cost too much resources, although the visor does reflect images selectively in the singplayer campaign.

I just think that at this point and from past experience we can't trust early screenshots which are supposed to be actually in game.

In what universe do we class bullshots as "ingame"? Its almost as embarrassing as the Uncharted fanbots classing a cutscene as ingame.

Considering the ONLY other thing from Halo 4 we've seen is a prerendered trailer...this is actually pretty decent. Will it have this amount of AA and DOF? Hell no. But at least we can get an idea of mesh, texture, shader quality. And a better idea of what MC will actually look like in game. Changing the thread title to "in-engine" would be better than "in-game", though, I will give you that. Same situation as Halo 2 and 3.

As for Halo 3's reveal trailer, with the shiny MC, the spartan models in the Halo 3 beta did look like a lower quality version of that model. What we see in the final game is a choince of artstyle. As for the reflections in the visor go, didn't happen. Cost too much resources, although the visor does reflect images selectively in the singplayer campaign.

Did in multiplayer as well. Reach did this wayyyyy better.

GavinGT

Banned

O....kay. JPEG compression, then? Is this some sort of guessing game?

And how is that deceiving? They're not implying anything (your use of the world necessararily). Aren't you deceiving yourself by making yourself beleive it's in-game? Or deceiving yourself by making yourself beleive that the developers say they're showing you in-game footage, while it's in-engine (basically making youself beleive that developers are lying to you on purpose) ?

When dev's show in-engine footage, it's to demonstrate what their engine is capable of. From that point on, it's scaling to meet the hardware performance. To generalise it, the in-engine is comparable to a PC game at max setting and the in-game footage is that same PC game, on inferior hardware on a lower setting. Exactly the same tech, but lower quality.

No, I'm pretty sure that when a developer puts out a trailer for a game that's exclusive to one console, that trailer is supposed to represent the final product as it looks on that console.

GAF's obsession with whether these are bullshots or not (and they probably are) is quite surreal. It's MC standing holding a BR (kinda) like a boss.

Looking forward to more.

EvB

I've still got a little theory in my head that they could make late gen 360 titles (such as Halo 4) Forward compatible or multiformat with Durango, especially if they go with a similar set of vendors and architecture as the 360.

I'm half expecting them to do this to maintain backwards compatibility for kinect titles and ease people into the next gen.

Perhaps this is what it would look like running on a newer machine...

Considering the ONLY other thing from Halo 4 we've seen is a prerendered trailer...this is actually pretty decent. Will it have this amount of AA and DOF? Hell no. But at least we can get an idea of mesh, texture, shader quality. And a better idea of what MC will actually look like in game. Changing the thread title to "in-engine" would be better than "in-game", though, I will give you that. Same situation as Halo 2 and 3.

Did in multiplayer as well. Reach did this wayyyyy better.
We lost a lot more than just AA and resolution from those Halo 2 and 3 bullshots, who knows what we'll lose this time. If its not ruining in real time on retail hardware its a bullshot and not in any way representative of the final product. Lets call it as it is and not do 343's spin campaign for them, they can manage that themselves.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame it doesn't show off the environments since that's always what I've loved about Halo the most.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to see. These pictures, though they look good, don't really tell me much.

Top Bottom