• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

I hated how the first game had really bad performance with a poor implemented aiming system, those 2 combined made it such a struggle to play this game lol. Still finished it and looking forward to the sequel

Yay! More Evil Within! I would sacrifice EW2 under a full moon if it meant I got an Alien Isolation sequel instead, but getting a sequel to the second best horror game of the generation is still really good news!

It's going to be an id Tech game. In-house engine = no licensing or royalty fees.

I'm crossing my fingers that they've at least moved to id Tech 6, but that may be unlikely since they used a highly modified version of id Tech 5 for the first game and I imagine there would be a lot of sunk cost development associated with that.

pa22word

I hope mikami makes the entire game as he wants...then has someone who has enough balls to be able to tell the man "no, this is fucking bad" come along with a chainsaw and cut it back down to something enjoyable.

Evil Within is such a weird game. Half the time I want to sing about how amazing it is, and half the time I want to kick whoever made it so hard in the ass they have toes coming out of their noses. It's also about 4-6 hours too long, which just makes the endgame rather unbearable. Despite 3 abortive attempts, I still have yet to actually finish the game despite enjoying the game quite a bit. Will def buy 2 though, because for all the first game's warts I still think Mikami can do a great job and hits way more than he misses.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Lets hope they learned from their mistakes in TEW in deliver a more coherent experiance. You were supposed to be chosen one Mikami.

Arsenic13

TEW is like 10 times harder and scarier than RE7, and like three times as long, so Mikami should be able to manage.

Harder? Yes. Scarier? Pfft.

I'm talking pure survival horror. RE7 is more like classic RE than The Evil Within -- which is opposed to what we were hyped to believe. There's place for both, let's not make this some petty war. I just want TEW2 to be as survival horror oriented as possible. The first game went into RE5 territory and that was dumb.

Hopefully they learned from the first.

AND PLEASE DROP ID TECH

Just move the game over to IDTech 6.

Also, FUCK YES! I loved The Evil Within! Sure the game was rough around the edges, but even with its problems, I still enjoyed it for what the game did right. This is a game that needs a sequel to iron out some of the issues of the first game.

kromeo

I remember thinking the first game turned into too much of a shooting gallery at times, will probably replay it before the sequel comes out

I'm talking pure survival horror. RE7 is more like classic RE than The Evil Within -- which is opposed to what we were hyped to believe. There's place for both, let's not make this some petty war. I just want TEW2 to be as survival horror oriented as possible. The first game went into RE5 territory and that was dumb.

The game is what it is. TEW and RE7 were trying to do vastly different things. It's silly to compare them.

Gurish

New Wolfenstein and new Evil Within, Bethesda conference is already going to be 🔥

Already better than EA's even if they will only show those 2 games and wrap it up, EA was so bad.

Anyway extremely looking forward to TEW2, first game was flawed but had tons of potential (still my GOTY for that year), current gen only sequel with added polish and a good engine could be the next RE4 imo.

Gator86

Definitely potential, but the first was far too uneven for me to be enthusiast about it until I see something, preferably something not filling half the screen and running at 15fps.

UrbanRats

Never managed to finish the first one (didn't play much) just too annoyingly hard (i hate to fiddle with traps and shit, in games) and, especially, it gave me motion sickness for whatever reason, probably the narrow FOV, i'm not sure.

Neiteio

I love both RE7 and TEW, so I don't want a petty war either.

However, TEW was absolutely survival horror. I literally defeated some bosses with my last bullet, and other bosses became unbeatable and required a chapter reset because I squandered resources. It was glorious.

Now, I agree that in terms of overall structure, TEW is more like an RE4-II rather than a REmake-II. Although there were certain chapters (most notably 3 and 9) that had you thoroughly exploring and backtracking through a single location.

The variety in TEW is amazing. It's hard to imagine how they'll top it.

MarkusRJR

Bethesda has become been the most reliably good E3 conference imo.

Thinking of replaying the first game to waste time till the conferences. Does disabling the letterbox affect framerate at all? If it does I might as well just play with it on.

Thinking of replaying the first game to waste time till the conferences. Does disabling the letterbox affect framerate at all? If it does I might as well just play with it on.
If it does have any impact on performance it's negligible. I never noticed any major difference playing with or without it.

Neiteio

On PS4, disabling the letterbox seems fine everywhere except for the opening of the game in the rain outside the hospital. It stabilizes afterward.

Joffy

Neo Member
Yes please, I thought the original was sorely under rated. Some of the best level variety in a survival horror game.

Bishop89

Still havnt played the first much. Only got up to the village section.

But I'm still excited for this.

A refined sequel not held down by last gen consoles

TEW does make you feel on edge mostly because of the harder difficulties like nightmare (Akumu is a cheap one shot mode they made for shits and giggles). A little mistake can absolutely just murder you and ammo gets pretty scarce. Lower difficulties remove a lot of tension, you can go rambo on everything.

eXistor

Cool. One of the few games I actually really want a sequel for. And with Mikami no less. I loved TEW1, if they can polish it and expand upon it we should be in for another treat.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought the TEW was a quality game, but absolutely infuriating at times, and when it was over I both could call the game quality, but at the same time say I didn't enjoy it.

I just hated the combat in the game, I found it clunky and maddening. I liked the atmosphere, story and such though.

Neiteio

Could be either or, the thread title was a bit of excitement on my part. Though it certainly does play up his role whatever it is. Regardless, we'll learn a lot more about the game in less than 24 hours.
I'm confident the final product will be excellent regardless. Mikami is putting his name on it, so he'll make sure the quality is there.

90% of you guys hate it, but I hope this one still has a cinematic aspect ratio... just let people turn it off from the get go and play how they want, but I still want tastefully framed shots to take in and move through, and environment design that's tailored to look "just so" whenever possible. When it was doing that well, it was doing it for me big time.

Chakan

Yes!!

But seriously, NO ID TECH. Especially the one used on Dishonored 2. Drop that shit. Use the one from DOOM instead.

The first game was very bland and didn't have the heart put into it that I would have expected from a Mikami game. I really hope this is going to be different.

bender

What time is it?
Oddly enough I just started another play-through RE4 tonight. I really didn't care for The Evil Within and I gave up around chapter 10. The gun-play just never clicked with me. Hopefully this sequel will see a lot of improvements.

synce

Can this still be a hoax? I just find it hard to believe the original sold enough to get a sequel in this day and age. Would love to see one though

KyleCross

Get it right this time, Mikami. You've earned a lot of goodwill from me for your past games, but another game of TEW's quality will seriously shake my confidence in you.

Zampano

Cool. Liked the first a lot but there are obvious improvements for sequel:

Performance needs to be a lot better.
Needs to be more replayable so less forced walking sections.
Upgradeable weapons.
Fun unlockables ala RE4.

Hopeford

I loved the first game. I know it wasn't up to everyone's standards, but I enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 4 for the most part. Sebastian wasn't as likable a character, but the gameplay was a lot more fun for me in Evil Within. Completely understand why people wouldn't feel the same way though.

myco666

Cool. Liked the first a lot but there are obvious improvements for sequel:

Performance needs to be a lot better.
Needs to be more replayable so less forced walking sections.
Upgradeable weapons.
Fun unlockables ala RE4.

The game has barely any forced walking sections and weapons were upgadeable in the first game.

Top Bottom