• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

Kipe

Too bad Evilore didn't take the 5 million and invested in bitcoins. He would have a lot of money right now.

Just read through Part 1, and my god, is it a good read or what! I love GAF and I love everyone here who make it so amazing. Also, thank you sooo much Evilore; you deserve it Mr. Malka. I will forever be grateful to you!!

Forkball

The replies are always fun.

Completely ridiculous how bought off that place is by publishers and developers. Marketers, especially ones who work for Sony, are allowed to run wild on NEOGaf selling their trash. Just read some of the post by people who own the Vita over there. Complete PR garbage. I guess as long as the checks clear ever month he’ll allow the marketers to stay around. Or am I suppose to believe that when Sony announced the PS4 stage presentation a few weeks back most of GAF already had KAZ gifs ready to go at the drop of a hat. It was a well orchestrated campaign did by PR companies who own multiple accounts.

The Lamp

It's likely that EviLore didn't turn down the offers because he sees the long term value of this community to be more than something like, say, $5 million.

FlyFaster

Turning down the money, sticking to your vision, not letting it be corrupted. As he said, " continuing to follow my passion"

Evilore, you are a fucking cool guy.

Thanks for the site and thanks for having our back. You've got a loyal follower here.

Led us into the next gen!

As a relative newcomer to GAF, this was a joy to read; I did all three articles back-to-back. Through osmosis, I had a rough idea of GAF's biggest stories, but this piece has given me a much greater understanding of the place.

Also, it's astounding how passionate Evilore is about our user experience. Thanks for looking out for us, dude.

One more thing; I've schooled myself in most of NeoGAFs 'extended lore', but can someone give me a quick heads up on who Blamespace is?

Lunar15

As someone who works in digital advertising, I can safely say that digital advertising is batshit insane.

It's an interesting dilemma. How do you keep a massive forum going, when ad revenue doesn't suffice? How do you keep that free "meeting place" atmosphere, while also keeping it running?

A.Romero

Thanks evilore. I don't post much but I've been a lurker for some time (I waited to be approved for about 2 years) and really appreciate what you are doing here.

I dare say that this forum is one of my favorites parts of being a gamer.

iratA

What a great write up. I think Tyler's conviction is inspiring. When that sort of money is on the table, only someone who is truly passionate about their 'baby' is going to make the sort of decisions he has made. I've known quite a bit about the history of NeoGAF prior to this, but some how the candid nature of this interview gives me a new appreciation of Tyler and his ongoing efforts. Good work son!

Seik

Banned
Holy Shit. $5 Million? I don't know if I have the strength to resist such offer like Evilore did.

Yep, I didn't know this as well...

I always wanted to buy a t-shirt or something from the store to encourage GAF, since the moment I was allowed to post here I spent so much time posting and reading, it's the least I could do to say 'thanks' and I think this will make me pull the trigger. :)

If you read this Evilore, thank you for keeping everything like it is, GAF is a great place.

So whats with all the GAF stories in the gaming press recently?

This series, the GT doc, that story EDGE wrote.

All just a coincidence they happen one after another or is it GAF's anniversary or something?

Sethos

Banned

All just a coincidence they happen one after another or is it GAF's anniversary or something?

Servers will implode come E3, so they are just documenting the place before it disappears.

As I said before in this thread, the genesis of this piece was actually at the GAF E3 2012 meet-up. I asked Evilore about doing this and we swapped cards and stuff long before the idea was floated by GTTV or EDGE - it just took a long time to get around to it because we were both ridiculously busy.

I think it's just because you've got a combination of a bit of a news vacuum thanks to next gen being on the way and everything being secret (or at least there was one for a few months there) and the fact that GAF's growth is starting to get to the point where people really can't write it off as some niche thing now, which is fascinating.

Incredible read, I already had mad respect for EL but knowing he turned down millions of dollars to keep GAF's integrity... just wow!

The replies are always fun.

Half the fun from outside-of-Neogaf Neogaf reflexions is the butthurt comment sections.

As a relative newcomer to GAF, this was a joy to read; I did all three articles back-to-back. Through osmosis, I had a rough idea of GAF's biggest stories, but this piece has given me a much greater understanding of the place.

Also, it's astounding how passionate Evilore is about our user experience. Thanks for looking out for us, dude.

One more thing; I've schooled myself in most of NeoGAFs 'extended lore', but can someone give me a quick heads up on who Blamespace is?

Him and Timedog got in a popularity contest once with Evilore "emceeing" it. I think there's more here. Alot more.

Top Bottom