• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Oof that dance scene

vNNl4yl.gif

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished the last episode.

Love that Veronica pretty much destroyed Cheryl at her own game.

Also, how awful of a parent is Archie's mom going to be? Is she going to be a secret Targaryen Blossom?

VegiHam

"I'm the damaged loner outsider from the wrong side of the tracks!"

Man, that bit brought the ham AND the cheese.

I groaned at this.

Like, come on Jugs, have you never seen, like, literally any romcom ever? How can you be that cliche and not realise that's why you ARE supposed to work.

Urgh just go be asexual already.

Not sure how you all have been fine with Jughead's brooding novel narration this whole time but that speech was too far. It was a bit much, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

VegiHam

Not sure how you all have been fine with Jughead's brooding novel narration this whole time but that speech was too far. It was a bit much, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

That's been terrible too. Just figured it'd be boring to complain about it every week since it's clearly not going away :p

Like, IDK if he's supposed to be a terrible who's book is atrocious, or if it's just bad writing. I can't tell.

I'm assuming Jughead is just a typical overdramatic teen who thinks his writing is the best (when it's clearly not to anyone else reading or listening). It stands out enough from the rest of the writing, that it would be amazing if they didn't intend for Jughead's writing to come off like that.

I'm on team intentionally bad writing.

ShadyK54

The intro's in particular became white noise to me after awhile because it sounds similar to the DC show intros. The other narration I'm indifferent on. Doesn't really effect me.

The speech was fine; harsh but I was invested. Kinda hit on a level or two with me lol.

Edit: Also yeah, smh at the Jughead slander.

lmao it was so cheesy when he said "I'm the damaged, loner from the wrong side of the tracks"

terrible scene between him and Betty there. overall a really entertaining episode though, and Jughead and his Dad are my favorite interactions in the show. I like that dynamic they have going on quite a bit. love how this show has them all friends, I don't think it would have worked so well if they kept Archie apart from Jughead for too long.

ZeroX03

Banned
Look I think this cast might not exactly be the most super talented of dancers

Also one of the cheerleader extras is clearly in her mid 30s

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't get the problem some have with the loner line. Jughead was purposely talking about cliches during that discussion. He says Betty is "the perfect girl next door" and that he's the "damaged loner outsider from the wrong side of the tracks". It's supposed to sound ridiculous, he was angry, but also being fully sarcastic and demeaning about himself when he said it. The show has been lampshading relationship and character cliches since episode one and that part of the scene was in line with that.

His purple prose at the start and end of episodes is also intentional, because like RecRoulette said that kind of writing isn't seen anywhere else on the show. Sometimes we get other characters narrating or writing like Betty's journal entries and it's different.

ZeroX03

Banned
The problem with Jughead talking in cliches and movie references is his odd demeanor, he's pretty serious other than a little bit of banter with Archie and Betty (by his own account the only people he likes). Talking like that makes sense with friends and in his book. But whereas most people would drop the pop culture references when they're upset, he doubles down and it's certainly weird because very few people would talk like that. Cole also plays him as very vulnerable, which works, but sometimes the lines between teen drama and lampshading get hazy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The problem with Jughead talking in cliches and movie references is his odd demeanor, he's pretty serious other than a little bit of banter with Archie and Betty (by his own account the only people he likes). Talking like that makes sense with friends and in his book. But whereas most people would drop the pop culture references when they're upset, he doubles down and it's certainly weird because very few people would talk like that. Cole also plays him as very vulnerable, which works, but sometimes the lines between teen drama and lampshading get hazy.
I agree that it's definitely a fine line they walk with this type of writing. Lampshading a cliche doesn't really excuse the use of it and can I see why it doesn't land sometimes. The pointing is usually restricted to Cheryl, Jug and Veronica and I hope it stays like that.

Joni

Look I think this cast might not exactly be the most super talented of dancers

Also one of the cheerleader extras is clearly in her mid 30s

They're high school cheerleaders mainly scoring on being sexy. It is not like they need to be the world's best dancers.

SystemBug

I have said the exact same things jughead has said to a person. it's not like, totally out there. but then again i have always been a weird kid

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have an issue with the wrong side of the tracks line. I'm guessing it was deliberate choice on Jughead's part because technically that's what their roles are at least on the surface.

I've been playing a little catch up and I do find the pacing a bit odd at times but overall, still enjoying it.

Archie remains the worst and least interesting character.

Top Bottom