• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Honestly, at this point October looks like it's the soonest that it'll happen (but happening any later would make the iPad Pro 12.9" two years old with no update). If they *are* actually bringing out a 10.5" iPad that's bezel-free and stuff, that design language is going to debut in the iPhone first.

Eh, I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. Based on the presumed screen size on the body, there's still a bezel, just less of one. Still room for a home button for sure. I think they could do new iPads first, since they won't follow what the iPhone is going to look like (tiny bezels vs no bezels)

Deku Tree

New iPads feel like October to me. Small chance of one at ADC but I doubt it.

Feels like the new iPads they wanted to make were not ready so they delayed them.

I would have bought the Pro if they merely put an A10X in it and gave it the new screen.

jts

...hate me...
At this point, surely, and I mean, surely, any new iPad Pro needs to skip A10 and get on the A11 bandwagon.

At this point, surely, and I mean, surely, any new iPad Pro needs to skip A10 and get on the A11 bandwagon.

Not 'at this point,' but if they're hitting in October, then absolutely yes.

The A11 bandwagon doesn't exist because the A11 doesn't exist yet.

Like I can certainly see October but the last we heard about them was mass production was starting soon, and that was a month ago. So unless they delayed everything that was already ramping up my vote is WWDC along with the iOS 12 productivity changes

Like I can certainly see October but the last we heard about them was mass production was starting soon, and that was a month ago. So unless they delayed everything that was already ramping up my vote is WWDC along with the iOS 12 productivity changes

I feel like you gave away the sly hardware-getting-announced-at-WWDC-lmao joke with the iOS 12 thing.

jts

...hate me...
Not 'at this point,' but if they're hitting in October, then absolutely yes.

The A11 bandwagon doesn't exist because the A11 doesn't exist yet.
It doesn't exist commercially but it's surely in an advanced development stage at Apple. There's no reason why Apple couldn't aim at an A11 pre-iPhone debut with an iPad Pro if they wanted to.

Provided they get good enough yields from the get go, so it doesn't put supply at risk for the iPhone, of course.

Fox1304

All those October and later talks have had the best of me. Caved in for a New iPad, a 15% cashback pushed me over the edge.
It'll be a home device for when the new 10.5 pro comes out and I take it everywhere !

It doesn't exist commercially but it's surely in an advanced development stage at Apple. There's no reason why Apple couldn't aim at an A11 pre-iPhone debut with an iPad Pro if they wanted to.

Provided they get good enough yields from the get go, so it doesn't put supply at risk for the iPhone, of course.
I'm kinda happy waiting for October and hopefully getting an A11X, honestly.

And man, given that even more of the iPad's power budget is about lighting the screen, I can't wait to see what the battery life* is like with the better-than-big.LITTLE tech and OLED.

*did I say battery life? I meant thinness lmao

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is my iPad Pro dead? Yesterday it kept rebooting by itself, and today when I arrived home it had shut down itself. When I rebooted it I was treated to this moving magenta static, it won't go past the logo.

N8f5omt_d.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Is my iPad Pro dead? Yesterday it kept rebooting by itself, and today when I arrived home it had shut down itself. When I rebooted it I was treated to this moving magenta static, it won't go past the logo.

N8f5omt_d.jpg
If DFU can't fix it, then... probably.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone got a solution for my Pro beeping like mad in my bag, as the cover magnetic disconnects and reconnects in a rapid loop? Looking online it seems LOTS of people are experiencing that (and the associated battery drain) but as usual the Apple forums are just a bunch of people saying "never happened to me, you must be doing something wrong."

Anyone got a solution for my Pro beeping like mad in my bag, as the cover magnetic disconnects and reconnects in a rapid loop? Looking online it seems LOTS of people are experiencing that (and the associated battery drain) but as usual the Apple forums are just a bunch of people saying "never happened to me, you must be doing something wrong."

Is it the keyboard cover? I have the Smart Cover but the iPad doesn't beep when I open or close it

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it the keyboard cover? I have the Smart Cover but the iPad doesn't beep when I open or close it

It's a bug. The type cover specifically. It's making a "connect/disconnect" alert. Just thousands of times unless you notice. Which on a plane is a big problem. It's happened on three flights so far and doesn't matter how the Pro is stored.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If DFU can't fix it, then... probably.

Amazingly, hooking my iPad to a Mac, and doing an one minute hold reboot and full restore resurrected it. It was dead as a dodo before, just flashing magenta static on an Apple logo. Now it's working fine again. It's kinda impressive how massively iOS can shit the bed while keeping the Apple logo intact.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want a more affordable big screen iPad. My current 9.7" pro is pretty much a portable TV in our house so I want as big a screen as possible

I do wish Apple would crib some stuff from the Surface line. I say that in this thread, which is a safe space.

Name a way for the Pencil to attach to the iPad without a case to do all the work and a non-cumbersome keyboard, though I guess if they make it a really elegant keyboard cover like the Surface line the iPad itself would need a way to prop itself up and whoops then you've just made a Surface

I think it's a solvable problem. I would be totally fine with a keyboard cover but not the monstrosity they have out now

Shearie

I do wish Apple would crib some stuff from the Surface line. I say that in this thread, which is a safe space.

Name a way for the Pencil to attach to the iPad without a case to do all the work and a non-cumbersome keyboard, though I guess if they make it a really elegant keyboard cover like the Surface line the iPad itself would need a way to prop itself up and whoops then you've just made a Surface

I think it's a solvable problem. I would be totally fine with a keyboard cover but not the monstrosity they have out now

What's wrong with the Smart Keyboard? I have one for my 9.7" and it's great. The keys feel nice and responsive, it keeps the iPad super sturdy when tapping the screen hard, it's easy to move from keyboard stand mode to flat and vice versa, and it's easy to take the iPad on and off it. It even worked well while typing on it on my lap today (which is something I only do in emergency situations where I don't have a desk in front of me but I need to quickly write notes. Not much of a laptop guy).

What's wrong with the Smart Keyboard? I have one for my 9.7" and it's great. The keys feel nice and responsive, it keeps the iPad super sturdy when tapping the screen hard, it's easy to move from keyboard stand mode to flat and vice versa, and it's easy to take the iPad on and off it. It even worked well while typing on it on my lap today (which is something I only do in emergency situations where I don't have a desk in front of me but I need to quickly write notes. Not much of a laptop guy).

Only one angle and I don't like the gymnastics you have to do, at least at first, to get it to go from cover to keyboard mode. And I don't like the bump when it's a cover, which is a consequence of it also needing to be the stand

Blackhead

Redarse
I wish we didn't need a physical keyboard at all. If Apple developed a revolutionary tablet software keyboard or 'input system' ― maybe swiping, maybe something with the pen, maybe something totally new ― that would be a key step in the quest for iPads to replace laptops.

Microsoft doesn't care about Windows 10 software keyboards because the Surface has that cover with keyboard+trackpad (although windows is getting a virtual trackpad soon and the pen mode is surprisingly quite useful for entering text) but I don't know what's Apple's excuse for barely making any innovations to the iPad software keyboard since Gen 1. Google/Android is whatever

My wife is looking for something she can use to create basic labels and ads for her small business (on top of the media perks of a tablet). She currently uses a combo of Google Docs and Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.

Would a 2017 iPad suffice or would the extra $200 or so for a Pro be a better fit?

My wife is looking for something she can use to create basic labels and ads for her small business (on top of the media perks of a tablet). She currently uses a combo of Google Docs and Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.

Would a 2017 iPad suffice or would the extra $200 or so for a Pro be a better fit?

Does she have any interest in using the Pencil for sketching/writing/signing?

justjohn

I've searched google but couldn't find an answer. Has the Pro got hand recognition on miscrosoft word? As in write a letter on word using the stylus and it automatically converts to a typical word font or do I have to use the keyboard if I want to use Word?

SourBear

Banned
With the new 10.5 pro is the size okay for drawing or is the 13 pro still preferred for resting your hand and not being awkward to work with while drawing?

randome

I wanna get my mom a new iPad. Is the $329 one the one to get or the old iPad Pro? How much will the old pro be? Thank you!!

jts

...hate me...
The 10" and 12" iPad Pros seem to have the same specs. Why should I get the 12" iPad over the 10" iPad for $150 more? Is there anything I'm missing?

2.4" more diagonal which is a good bit of display real estate. Plus the extra resolution and battery that comes with it, speakers should be slightly better too.

But it comes down mainly to a size choice.

Vyer

I've searched google but couldn't find an answer. Has the Pro got hand recognition on miscrosoft word? As in write a letter on word using the stylus and it automatically converts to a typical word font or do I have to use the keyboard if I want to use Word?

There are some handwriting to text apps, but it's not in the mobile version of Word.

I wanna get my mom a new iPad. Is the $329 one the one to get or the old iPad Pro? How much will the old pro be? Thank you!!

Yeah, unless she needs the pencil you should be fine with the standard 'new ipad'. The 9.7 pro will probably still be more expensive, but I don't know what they are going to do with it exactly

sirap

The 10" and 12" iPad Pros seem to have the same specs. Why should I get the 12" iPad over the 10" iPad for $150 more? Is there anything I'm missing?

It's really down to personal preference. Do you want a bigger canvas or larger screen for watching entertainment? Definitely get the larger Pro. I also find the bigger smart keyboard much more comfortable for typing (if you're into that)

However, if I wanted a portable, digital notepad for writing down notes with the Pencil I would choose the smaller iPad.

Deku Tree

So do I need a 10.5? or a 12.9? Can't decide if the 12.9 is too big.

Also 64 or 256? 256 is way more than I would need but worried that 64 is not enough...

So do I need a 10.5? or a 12.9? Can't decide if the 12.9 is too big.

Also 64 or 256? 256 is way more than I would need but worried that 64 is not enough...

I started with a 12.9” when it came out and switched to a 9.7” a couple months ago. I was moving around more and the extra portable was more important to me than the big screen

Your usage is what will determine it, now that the features are the same between both

Vyer

The new screen on the 12.9 will probably be glorious. And it's really not at all 'heavy' or unwieldy.

But man, that extra half pound can still make more difference than you'd expect. If the 12.9 was just a little lighter it would be absolutely perfect for me.

It's definitely a personal preference thing, and you'd be better suited seeing them in person and comparing.

Deku Tree

I started with a 12.9” when it came out and switched to a 9.7” a couple months ago. I was moving around more and the extra portable was more important to me than the big screen

Your usage is what will determine it, now that the features are the same between both

Always go higher than you think you need.

The new screen on the 12.9 will probably be glorious. And it's really not at all 'heavy' or unwieldy.

But man, that extra half pound can still make more difference than you'd expect. If the 12.9 was just a little lighter it would be absolutely perfect for me.

It's definitely a personal preference thing, and you'd be better suited seeing them in person and comparing.

Thanks! Yeah I have looked at both iPads plenty of times. I just feel like after a while I might not like carrying around the larger one but I don't know for sure. Also I think I can easily get by with 64gb.

Top Bottom