• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

notworksafe

You're gonna love it. The Omni is one of the best pre-made sticks out there and Koreans levers are awesome for 3D. It just feels so smooth and natural.

TacosNSalsa

Anyone own or have experience with the Qanba Dragon? I'm having a strange (non) issue with mine. Whenever I plug mine in my PS4 reads it as if a mic has been plugged in and the notification pops up. Anyone know whats that about?

LowParry

I'll post up pics later tonight when I get home from work but I just got my Omni in today. Feels a whole lot different than my Viewlix but it feels a lot more natural. Only thing that's off is when I press into the bottom right, it feels like it catches onto something. Slightly annoying but is that normal for new korean type sticks?

Edit: And I'm assuming since the stick is not spring loaded, neutral is suppose to feel loose.

milkham

This is a dumb question since the Move and Nav controllers work natively on ps4, but I was wondering if the Brook Ps3 to ps4 converter would work with them and show up as a regular controller on the ps4. I was playing persona 5 just now and thought the nav controller would be a decent choice for lazy one handed JRPG playing. I can control system menus but games don't register any input.

Armaly

C-UxnbeWsAAAj91.jpg

Noir

shockdude

I'll take one. I always thought thumb input for directions, and finger buttons were the best of both worlds. Just get the ergonomics down, and we have a winner on our hands.

capcom-pad-soldier-controller.jpg
I'd like to see a "disconnected fightpad" in the style of the Wiimote/Nunchuck, where the left hand holds the directionals and the right hand is, uh, strapped to a contraption with six buttons. I don't care if it's impractical, it'd be cool.

...might be easier to have a "nunchuck" that sticks out of a traditional fightstick base, now that I think about it.

Laws00

I'll take one. I always thought thumb input for directions, and finger buttons were the best of both worlds. Just get the ergonomics down, and we have a winner on our hands.

capcom-pad-soldier-controller.jpg

I have that one on the left and to be quite honest, im not a fan of it. maybe its cause ive been using that snes controller for so long it just felt strange in my hand

Hazaku

Ergh ... anyone with a stick using the Brook PS3/PS4 pcb like the latest eTokki experiencing timeouts with their sticks? Or is it just me?

It's amazing how this thread just sucks the money out of my wallet every time I look at it.

Limited Run is posting Darius for PS4 today, and I'm looking at my VLX and thinking "Aww, baby wants a Seimitsu? (pat pat) Let's get you a Seimitsu."

I hate that I can't find solid color 45mm ball tops anymore.

What are everyone's traveling solutions for your sticks? I could use a recommendation on bags that would fit a stick and a gaming laptop. I'd like to bring my setup to events once Tekken hits but I don't have an ideal solution. Gaming laptops are awesome for tourneys, no hooking up screens plus you can use any stick or controller with USB.

Edzi

What are everyone's traveling solutions for your sticks? I could use a recommendation on bags that would fit a stick and a gaming laptop. I'd like to bring my setup to events once Tekken hits but I don't have an ideal solution. Gaming laptops are awesome for tourneys, no hooking up screens plus you can use any stick or controller with USB.

Honestly, I just use a normal backpack to carry around my Hori stick.

Qanba Defender bag is GOAT. If you can find one.

Tripon

As someone who actually enjoys american sticks, what is the closest Korean stick to that feel? Crown or Fanta?

Currently has an etokki stick with the fanta stick. If you want the closest feel to a MAS stick, you'll probably want the Crown and order a upgrade kit Gerswing switches.

Of course, you can order an IL stick from paradise shop. Those are tradtional MAS sticks that continue to produce them once MAS sent their production to China.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/502-levers-il-industrias-lorenzo

IL sticks are durable, but still no where as durable as the Crown or Fanta sticks are.

Valanarro

Currently has an etokki stick with the fanta stick. If you want the closest feel to a MAS stick, you'll probably want the Crown and order a upgrade kit Gerswing switches.

Of course, you can order an IL stick from paradise shop. Those are tradtional MAS sticks that continue to produce them once MAS sent their production to China.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/502-levers-il-industrias-lorenzo

IL sticks are durable, but still no where as durable as the Crown or Fanta sticks are.

All I have are Japanese style sticks that cant fit an IL stick without modding I don't believe, and im not really able to afford building my own at the moment. Thanks though. Ive been contemplating getting a Korean stick for a while now so I might do that when the time comes

Armaly

I like the eight arc guardian. It fits both my PS4 and TE2+ so it should be able to fit your laptop. Just watch how you place everything so it doesn't scratch your laptop.

namabiiru

I've been lurking in this thread for a long time, and it's finally time to pop the question. So if I'm going to drop $200 on a stick, and I want a ball-style stick with Sanwa buttons, the Omni Sanwa is the one to get? Not a Qanba or a modded Hori RAP?

I play GG, SFV, and P4A:U.

notworksafe

I like the eight arc guardian. It fits both my PS4 and TE2+ so it should be able to fit your laptop. Just watch how you place everything so it doesn't scratch your laptop.

same, got this bag on sale for $40 or w/e and its fantastic

I've been lurking in this thread for a long time, and it's finally time to pop the question. So if I'm going to drop $200 on a stick, and I want a ball-style stick with Sanwa buttons, the Omni Sanwa is the one to get? Not a Qanba or a modded Hori RAP?

all of those sticks are solid choices but of the three i'd lean more towards the Omni.

same, got this bag on sale for $40 or w/e and its fantastic

all of those sticks are solid choices but of the three i'd lean more towards the Omni.

That or, quite frankly, order a premade case from focusattack or Art's Hobbies or something and put the part in yourself. This gives you more flexibility for the choice of colors as well as the PCB used.

Wallach

I've got a Qanba Dragon with maybe an hour of use on it that I was planning on selling on. If you're in the continental US I could let it go for $200.

Edit - I'll leave that offer open to someone else in FGC GAF if he isn't interested, for the record. Just toss me a PM.

Son Of D

I'm looking for a stick for PS4 but I have no idea what's good or not since it's all new to me. I'll be playing SFV and Tekken 7 on it (maybe some Marvel too). Anyone have recommendations for a stick newbie? Budget is open.

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure if that limits any options I have.

I'm looking for a stick for PS4 but I have no idea what's good or not since it's all new to me. I'll be playing SFV and Tekken 7 on it (maybe some Marvel too). Anyone have recommendations for a stick newbie? Budget is open.

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure if that limits any options I have.

Poster above your post is selling a Qanba Dragon - a 300 dollar stick - for 200 dollars.

BearChair

Since folks appear to be using this as a mini buy, sell, trade thread for arcade sticks...

Is anyone looking to sell a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 (maybe even an SA)? I'm looking for a really good stick for my PS2.

I already posted in the true B/S/T thread and got no replies.

Edzi

Anyone here have experience with Hitboxes? I kinda wanna try one for fun, though the only sellers I found don't even seem to have them in stock. Also wasn't expecting them to be as pricy as they are lol.

//ARCANUM

Anyone here have experience with Hitboxes? I kinda wanna try one for fun, though the only sellers I found don't even seem to have them in stock. Also wasn't expecting them to be as pricy as they are lol.

I have a hitbox and have used it a decent bit, but have not spent the time to really get good with it. There are some things that you can do shockingly easily (like half circles / full circles for example). But overall, it would definitely be a commitment to get used to it and will take practice time. I highly recommend trying to find a way to check one out first as I've seen some people try it once and immediately feel it's not for them, whereas others it's love at first sight.

edit - actually, here's a video of alucarD showing me Hitbox for the first time: http://www.floko.tv/video/1029718-weapon-of-choice-hitbox-with-f3-alucard#.WRDt_RjMyuV

Orayn

I was thinking about doing a MAKEStick build some time in the near future. The instructions on FocusAttack say Japanese style levers fit in the default top panel even though it's designed for Korean, but are there any downsides to doing that beyond not being able to use certain smaller dust washers? In terms of feel or functionality, I mean. Just wondering if I should make room in my budget for a top plexi.

Zackat

I've been wanting to try one out but not enough to drop 200 on one. I might do it one day anyways.

Edzi

I have a hitbox and have used it a decent bit, but have not spent the time to really get good with it. There are some things that you can do shockingly easily (like half circles / full circles for example). But overall, it would definitely be a commitment to get used to it and will take practice time. I highly recommend trying to find a way to check one out first as I've seen some people try it once and immediately feel it's not for them, whereas others it's love at first sight.

edit - actually, here's a video of alucarD showing me Hitbox for the first time: http://www.floko.tv/video/1029718-weapon-of-choice-hitbox-with-f3-alucard#.WRDt_RjMyuV

I've been wanting to try one out but not enough to drop 200 on one. I might do it one day anyways.

You'd think there would be other sellers out there. No idea where I could try one out, but I might impulse buy one if they ever get them in stock again. Something about mashing buttons with both hands seems hilarious yet satisfying to me, and since I have no real nostalgic connection with traditional arcade sticks I figure it'd be worth trying just in case it clicks with me.

Zackat

You'd think there would be other sellers out there. No idea where I could try one out, but I might impulse buy one if they ever get them in stock again. Something about mashing buttons with both hands seems hilarious yet satisfying to me, and since I have no real nostalgic connection with traditional arcade sticks I figure it'd be worth trying just in case it clicks with me.
It seems like the best way to control your character. I imagine a lot of people would switch to it if playing on a stick wasn't so ingrained. I know a few others on here use the hitbox.

I saw quite a few custom made ones on srk stick threads. Looked quite slick, and probably expensive as hell.

Wallach

I've been playing on Hitboxes for a couple years now after moving over from keyboard.

I think it is a great way to play, though I also felt like keyboard was a strong way to play and I don't think most people agree (or at least every seriously try playing on keyboard). It's not as simple as it might seem at first, especially in context of your left hand ring finger since it needs to develop significantly better timing and accuracy than you're going to be used to coming from a pad or lever stick.

My suggestion would be to go on PC and try something like USFIV with your keyboard mapped to something similar to a Hitbox layout (I recommend S/D/F/Space for L/D/R/U, and U/I/O, J/K/L for P and K rows respectively) to play around with the idea of what fingers are doing what.

Most people struggle with jump the most at first. It is a dual-hand key technically, but generally should be handled by your right hand and not your left, which is a big change for heavy console or arcade players but will probably feel natural to anyone who plays PC games (especially FPS).

Also bear in mind that your keyboard won't by default operate like a Hitbox in terms of SOCD - on a Hitbox pressing opposing directions simultaneously always results in a particular input to prevent cheating or unnatural results:

- Left + Right = Neutral
- Down + Up = Up

Both of these things are actually used in normal gameplay input; for example you can backdash by holding Left and tapping Right, because your input comes out as B,N,B.

As far as cost, yeah. Unfortunately none of the cheaper licensed manufacturers have ever released an all-button layout so only customs are available. Hitbox Arcade isn't getting more PS4 versions in until like July, so I'd probably look at Marvelous Customs or Jasen's Customs, but yeah your only option for going cheaper is really to buy used.

Edzi

I've been playing on Hitboxes for a couple years now after moving over from keyboard.

I think it is a great way to play, though I also felt like keyboard was a strong way to play and I don't think most people agree (or at least every seriously try playing on keyboard). It's not as simple as it might seem at first, especially in context of your left hand ring finger since it needs to develop significantly better timing and accuracy than you're going to be used to coming from a pad or lever stick.

My suggestion would be to go on PC and try something like USFIV with your keyboard mapped to something similar to a Hitbox layout (I recommend S/D/F/Space for L/D/R/U, and U/I/O, J/K/L for P and K rows respectively) to play around with the idea of what fingers are doing what.

Most people struggle with jump the most at first. It is a dual-hand key technically, but generally should be handled by your right hand and not your left, which is a big change for heavy console or arcade players but will probably feel natural to anyone who plays PC games (especially FPS).

Also bear in mind that your keyboard won't by default operate like a Hitbox in terms of SOCD - on a Hitbox pressing opposing directions simultaneously always results in a particular input to prevent cheating or unnatural results:

- Left + Right = Neutral
- Down + Up = Up

Both of these things are actually used in normal gameplay input; for example you can backdash by holding Left and tapping Right, because your input comes out as B,N,B.

As far as cost, yeah. Unfortunately none of the cheaper licensed manufacturers have ever released an all-button layout so only customs are available. Hitbox Arcade isn't getting more PS4 versions in until like July, so I'd probably look at Marvelous Customs or Jasen's Customs, but yeah your only option for going cheaper is really to buy used.

You wouldn't happen to know if the PS4 hitbox works natively with PC, would you?

Wallach

You wouldn't happen to know if the PS4 hitbox works natively with PC, would you?

I would, and it does not. You'd want instead the Xbox One Hitbox, which works out of the box perfectly for Windows (it gets recognized as a standard Xbox One controller and doesn't require any remapping).

Edit - This is one area where one of the custom sticks works out because you can order them with the Brooks UFB which is dope and works on everything.

Top Bottom