• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Krejlooc

Banned
The haptic feedback is way softer then expected - also different.

The default and legacy modes use low haptic feedback. I crank mine all the way up to high every time I use it. I like really feeling the haptic feedback. You cant really feel the individual "ticks" on low, it all blurs together. On high, individual "ticks" can be felt.

Dr Dogg

Had a brief muck around but yeah I can see some potential future use cases that nothing else could do before. First thoughts were that I hate the position of the analog stick and face buttons as they both have the potential to really cramp up up thumbs but in the couple of things I tried out outside of, initial navigation, setting up some bindings haven't really had to use them. Do like the feedback from both the trackpads, though I'd probably preferred if the left didn't have the cross pattern, but both being a giant button too is pretty ace. Diablo III was pretty swish once you've got some bindings you like set up (Lock in place and left click on the handles, actions bound to the 4 shoulder buttons and right tackpad button with the left trackpad serving as hotkeys) though there's a lot to dive into regards to how you want the trackpads to behave where I found the trackball type more preferable in Borderlands 2 but mouse type in Bulletstorm I was much more precise (and you can pull off some next level moves with how fast you can whip the camera around and having every button you need to chain skillshots together under just one hand).

MaxiLive

I've just had a very quick go!

This will take some getting used to I think. I the touchpad works really well but you have to get used to the size of it as I found I was only utilising 50-60% of the pad which meant a lot of swiping. The Dpad also feels a little strange due to it being so large, I was struggling to hit the right direction in Pix the Cat but I'm sure it is something you can adapt to fairly quickly.

The haptic feedback felt good as to the buttons/analogue stick! The controllers settings and templates are very simple to change but I can't find any way to do this out of Big Picture?

Krejlooc

Banned
I figured but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to sound like that. Thanks :)

Its basically like an array of tiny pistons under the pad that are shooting up to vibrate the pad. You can actually play music with them. They can produce a variety of tones - the beep when you turn on the controller comes from the pads, and you can make the pads beep when you double tap them, too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It takes some time to get used to it but I really enjoy it so far. Hopefully Valve will add the option to customize the controller outside of BPM. That's kinda annoying so far.

Dex815

My right trackpad makes a weird creaky noise, happen for anyone else? Video with sound here

Sorry for the vertical video :p

Dat "not sure if broken or haptics" feeling :)

I just tested it for 5 minutes with Prison Architect with the default controls for kb&m and it feels good, for the most precise clicks like in small buttons it can be a bit tricky, but probably is just the need to get used to it.

Training weekend! :D

The haptic feedback felt good as to the buttons/analogue stick! The controllers settings and templates are very simple to change but I can't find any way to do this out of Big Picture?

BPM is required for that. Hopefully Valve add it to the desktop view as well.

edit: ˇ nice

Krejlooc

Banned
It takes some time to get used to it but I really enjoy it so far. Hopefully Valve will add the option to customize the controller outside of BPM. That's kinda annoying so far.

The guide that I should have up Sunday includes a section for remapping the controls outside of steam entirely.

deleted

The default and legacy modes use low haptic feedback. I crank mine all the way up to high every time I use it. I like really feeling the haptic feedback. You cant really feel the individual "ticks" on low, it all blurs together. On high, individual "ticks" can be felt.

I'm looking forward to diving head forward into the options :)

Dat "not sure if broken or haptics" feeling :)

I just tested it for 5 minutes with Prison Architect with the default controls for kb&m and it feels good, for the most precise clicks like in small buttons it can be a bit tricky, but probably is just the need to get used to it.

Training weekend! :D
I'm glad it's more common than just me :p
Its basically like an array of tiny pistons under the pad that are shooting up to vibrate the pad. You can actually play music with them. They can produce a variety of tones - the beep when you turn on the controller comes from the pads, and you can make the pads beep when you double tap them, too.
Ah okay, that's awesome :)

hepburn3d

Any tips on making the right touch pad sensitive for micro movements then move quickly with big moments? Like an exponential increase?

hepburn3d

Use mode shifting. When you mode shift a touchpad, you get an entirely new set of sensitivity options.

Thanks krej. What about forcing a key to hold with a stick? I'm trying to make the stick rotate camera which in game is Alt+mouse. I want to just touch the stick and alt is already held.

Also so glad to finally be able to contribute. Been absorbing the other thread and everything I can find for months. Finally in my hands and ready to tinker!!!

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks krej. What about forcing a key to hold with a stick? I'm trying to make the stick rotate camera which in game is Alt+mouse. I want to just touch the stick and alt is already held.

Also so glad to finally be able to contribute. Been absorbing the other thread and everything I can find for months. Finally in my hands and ready to tinker!!!

You can use the outer ring binding to add the alt modfier, then invert it (so the modifier is on the inside of the bounding ring), then adjust it so the ring size is so big it engulfs the entire stick. This will make the stick (or pads) always throw the modifier.

Again, this is kind of confusing because the menus dont explain this very well. I go into this stuff in my guide.

Exuro

Why did my internet have to go down today of all days... :(. If I can't update the controller it sound like it'll be "broken".

hepburn3d

You can use the outer ring binding to add the alt modfier, then invert it (so the modifier is on the inside of the bounding ring), then adjust it so the ring size is so big it engulfs the entire stick. This will make the stick (or pads) always throw the modifier.

Again, this is kind of confusing because the menus dont explain this very well. I go into this stuff in my guide.

Thanks again. It's really confusing. Tried setting up mode shifting and can't seem to turn it all of. Confused. This isn't consumer friendly in its present state but it's fine for tinkerers.

I'm going to be here a while :)

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks again. It's really confusing. Tried setting up mode shifting and can't seem to turn it all of. Confused. This isn't consumer friendly in its present state but it's fine for tinkerers.

I'm going to be here a while :)

What key did you use as your mode shifting button? Mode shifting has been breaking and unbreaking every few updates. I went like 2 weeks without being able to mode shift at all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have an unopened DS4 I was going to dedicate to couch PC gaming. But after reading through the thread, it seems I should sell it and get a Steam controller instead. I really like the idea of the mouse/touchpad benefits.

Have people had good success across genres? Shooters, action and so forth?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd like to see people's impressions on this for games that have been optimized on PC for a 360 controller. Using those ABXY buttons doesn't look comfortable.

Nzyme32

I'd like to see people's impressions on this for games that have been optimized on PC for a 360 controller. Using those ABXY buttons doesn't look comfortable.

As I've said in the OP, the shape of the controller and how you're holding at are entirely different vs the 360 controller. I will say this much so far. It is more comfortable to reach abxy than the Wii pro, however I'm not acclimated to it yet. It feels a bit weird but reaching the buttons isn't the problem and doesn't feel difficult, but a noticeable extra distance that i need to adjust too. Also hitting b instead of a or y instead of x is a problem right now, again because those distances are what I am used to.

I'd say if you were fine with the right analogue stick for turning left on a ds3 you can get used to this, even though I'm not quite there yet

GameStop I preordered at said they didn't have it and didn't know when they were getting it even though they told me to pick it up today. Gg GameStop.

haveheart

Banned
I made a short video. 5 minutes of me playing csgo with the steam controller.

https://youtu.be/Du9BhRrBRtY

I don't know what to say yet. The controller itself is really different from controllers I've used over the years. So I guess that's a good thing. The touchpads have haptic feedback, I didn't know that, but it feels good. The ABXY buttons are really small and somehow hard to reach although I have big hands and long fingers. Playing rocket league I often pressed the wrong button.

Regarding CSGO: Imho spray control is not possible, keeping/putting the crosshair where you want it to be works really good on the other hand. AWPing seems manageable. Movement control is really bad. Hard stops or counter strafing is out of the questions. But it's fun. I definitely think casual shooters are easy to handle. Of course it will take time to get used to this new layout and the touchpads.

Thos grip buttons: I have no idea how to get used to these... I don't even know which finger is supposed to press them.

For me - although I've only spent a few minutes with the controller - this is the best controller input option by far. I can really see myself playing racing games, casual shooters and building sims with the steam controller. Valve did a really good job! I like it :)

Edit: Of course I'm not thinking a controller would be a viable option for CSGO lol. I just wanted to see how it works out (not that good as u can tell from the video)

Miff

Someone do me a favor and measure the box dimensions

21cm l, 15.5cm w, 6.5cm d

Edit: the cardboard lid isn't folded perfectly, it bows out slightly at the sides, which probably explains the difference in my / Nzyme32's figures. So 21.5 if you want to take that into consideration.

GregSequential

Neo Member
I must be doing it wrong but I'm finding aiming in FPS type games such as Dishonored almost impossible -- moving my finger around or swiping the right pad just either moves the look a tiny amount or way too much. I've tried multiple modes and mucked around with sensitivity but I'm finding it very hard to aim accurately at all. Anyone have any insight into what i'm doing wrong or what I might look into?

MaxiLive

For anyone who pre-ordered through Game. I just received my pre-order bonus download codes for Rocket League and Portal 2 via email. Plus a bonus 25% off Game PC downloads.

hepburn3d

What key did you use as your mode shifting button? Mode shifting has been breaking and unbreaking every few updates. I went like 2 weeks without being able to mode shift at all.

Tried mapping them to the back grips for the right touch pad. It's messed up the control scheme. Sure I can fix it somehow. I'm playing purely from the couch so not trying to go any where near a keyboard. There's a steep learning curve with this but when you get things right it's lovely. Will continue to mess around.

Beat an easy AI in coh2, no way I could beat medium at the moment. Need to get the mouse more precise yet move quickly around at the same time. Lovely being able to tap Y to retreat troops or b to revers a tank.

Nzyme32

So another issue I'm finding, while aiming is getting better and better, using the right grip means I nudge my thumb a bit which throws my aim off. Oddly, I've found using the pad click is better at reducing this even though that sound counter intuitive

For anyone who pre-ordered through Game. I just received my pre-order bonus download codes for Rocket League and Portal 2 via email. Plus a bonus 25% off Game PC downloads.

Same.

What is the source of people's excitement for this? Is it being able to play games that traditionally require a keyboard? Dislike of current controller options? New shiny product hype?

I want to be interested in it, but I'm just not. Steam Link I am all on board for. Hell, the best thing this controller has to offer me is a simple wireless solution (because the 360 controller's wireless is so dumb) but I can achieve that with the PS4 one as well.

mbmonk

I made a short video. 5 minutes of me playing csgo with the steam controller.

https://youtu.be/Du9BhRrBRtY

I don't know what to say yet. The controller itself is really different from controllers I've used over the years. So I guess that's a good thing. The touchpads have haptic feedback, I didn't know that, but it feels good. The ABXY buttons are really small and somehow hard to reach although I have big hands and long fingers. Playing rocket league I often pressed the wrong button.

Regarding CSGO: Imho spray control is not possible, keeping/putting the crosshair where you want it to be works really good on the other hand. AWPing seems manageable. Movement control is really bad. Hard stops or counter strafing is out of the questions. But it's fun. I definitely think casual shooters are easy to handle. Of course it will take time to get used to this new layout and the touchpads.

Thos grip buttons: I have no idea how to get used to these... I don't even know which finger is supposed to press them.

For me - although I've only spent a few minutes with the controller - this is the best controller input option by far. I can really see myself playing racing games, casual shooters and building sims with the steam controller. Valve did a really good job! I like it :)

Edit: Of course I'm not thinking a controller would be a viable option for CSGO lol. I just wanted to see how it works out (not that good as u can tell from the video)

Do you think any controller that uses analog for movement would have problems with hard stops or counter strafes?

I see why it would work on keyboard, but not controller. Because someone can switch directions much faster on keyboard than having to move an analog stick.

CS:GO is a PC game through and through.. so awesome :)

Krejlooc

Banned
I must be doing it wrong but I'm finding aiming in FPS type games such as Dishonored almost impossible -- moving my finger around or swiping the right pad just either moves the look a tiny amount or way too much. I've tried multiple modes and mucked around with sensitivity but I'm finding it very hard to aim accurately at all. Anyone have any insight into what i'm doing wrong or what I might look into?

I've found many people who have problems with accuracy hold their steam controller like this:

bqB9duM.jpg

I explain with animation in my guide why this is bad. It will screw with your aim and your ability to make very fine adjustments. The proper way to hold the controller is what I dub "The ballerina method":

Make sure your thumb comes down to a point on the pad, like a ballerina standing on her tip toes. This greatly improves your accuracy.

Mask

I've been testing this out in a few games, tried a few which were Mouse Only control too.

Five Night's at Freddys - Actually works pretty well, not as good as a mouse, but with practice, I could see this being perfectly useable.

Five Night's at Freddys 2 - Much the same as the first game, except the Left Control on the right grip. I don't know how, but this one feels much more nice! Totally useable on the early nights.

Five Night's at Freddys 3 - Also controls surprisingly nicely, especially if you find a sweet spot with the sensitivity.

Unturned - Despite being a F2P game, actually has suggested bindings. Really nice controls too, fully usable.

Dungeon Fighter Online - Not usable, doesn't register at all. Damn shame, because I made the perfect layout for it too.

Spiral Knights - Playable, slightly awkward to aim, but playable.

Still got the 4th FNAF game to test, but the controller is really nice so far!

hepburn3d

What is the source of people's excitement for this? Is it being able to play games that traditionally require a keyboard? Dislike of current controller options? New shiny product hype?

I want to be interested in it, but I'm just not. Steam Link I am all on board for. Hell, the best thing this controller has to offer me is a simple wireless solution (because the 360 controller's wireless is so dumb) but I can achieve that with the PS4 one as well.

I have a couch PC and I like playing non controller games on it. Now I can use a controller to play games I couldn't before without and awkward setup. That's all it is for me really

Unai

I have a couch PC and I like playing non controller games on it. Now I can use a controller to play games I couldn't before without and awkward setup. That's all it is for me really

For me is that and also that I think dual analogs are horse shit for aiming, so I'll finaly be able to play something like Tomb Raider or Sleeping Dogs with the confort of a controller and a better input method to handle the gunplay.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've started getting the weird drifting on the right pad that someone on twitter was talking about.

Describe the problem?

I had a weird issue with one of my old prototypes - the right pad would occasionally spaz out and jitter. I would take my thumb completely off the pad, and I could see my mouse doing small spastic and eratic circular motions on the screen. And, due to the placement of the ABXY buttons on the prototype, sometimes pressing the... shit, was it B? button, would sometimes also press the right pad button.

But I haven't seen either of these problems with the final version I have.

Top Bottom