• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the last thread and someone mentioned Ascension, i'll check it out. If anyone has any more I would be grateful.

I'm looking for something fun to play with the lady.

Does anyone have a recommendation for good asynchronous MP games? The only ones I know about are Carcassonne and Words With Friends.

Tobor

I posted this in the last thread and someone mentioned Ascension, i'll check it out. If anyone has any more I would be grateful.

I'm looking for something fun to play with the lady.

Does anyone have a recommendation for good asynchronous MP games? The only ones I know about are Carcassonne and Words With Friends.

Hero Academy! We're all going crazy for it right now.

depward

Looking for the best hack & slash-type game (or dungeon crawler or whatever) for iphone or ipad. Like, having a fair amount of loot is something that is needed.

Tried Rimelands and... while OK just didn't blow me away in presentation and such.

heringer

Looking for the best hack & slash-type game (or dungeon crawler or whatever) for iphone or ipad. Like, having a fair amount of loot is something that is needed.

Tried Rimelands and... while OK just didn't blow me away in presentation and such.

Dungeon Hunter 2 is decent.

Avalon is well recommended too, though it's not a hack & slash type of game.

Pastry

Banned

Dungeon Hunter 2 might be your best bet, don't get 3 though since they ruined the game by turning it into a freemium arena game.

Flunkie

Banned
My inner perfectionist itches with the OT not being editable anymore.

In addition: DAMN YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR SWARMING HERO ACADEMY MOVES

Woke up to 12 notifications this morning, all HA, and I've accumulated like 5 more through the day. I have limits, people.

Pastry

Banned
Wish there was something like that that used touch controls, rather than virtual sticks.

I think a lot of hack and slash / RPGs would benefit from Battleheartish touch controls, I really love that game I just wish it wasn't so sterile (probably not the right word) I guess. It has character but there is just so little going on other than combat.

GeekyDad

I think a lot of hack and slash / RPGs would benefit from Battleheartish touch controls, I really love that game I just wish it wasn't so sterile (probably not the right word) I guess. It has character but there is just so little going on other than combat.

Yeah, something that controls along the lines of Extraction would be awesome. I enjoyed the mechanics of that game. I just wish there were some RPGs that played like it on iOS.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Couldn't resist the Dungeon Raid sale, honestly it never impressed me when I glanced at screenshots but it looks good on the iPhone's screen and is indeed pretty fun.

heringer

Woah, wait...you mean to tell me DH2 has touch controls? Not virtual sticks? Don't toy with my emotions.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure Dungeon Hunter 2 has touch controls. Only played with virtual controls.

I'm fairly sure though, because I know for a fact the first one has. No reason to remove the feature.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Argh. Call it the iOS gaming thread, FFS!

It's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of changing (only) the "iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch" part of the title if people really want that.

The reasons I kept it were for legacy and searching purposes.

I'm not at all opposed to the idea of changing (only) the "iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch" part of the title if people really want that.

That's what I figured, too. I'm cool with it the way it is. You can always go with the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread of iOS ;)

J0dy77

As I said, the addictive HS component is there. But I can't help but feel the game would be that much more awesomer with actual buttons. Precision is key.

I had this same feeling the first couple of days with SCB but the more I practiced the more comfortable the touch controls started to feel. I used to die a ton to the virtual controls but haven't had that feeling in quite some time. Now it's just the damn disc gun that makes me want to spike my iPhone.

A tip for new players that I didn't realize until a couple days of playing. Maybe it is obvious to others but I completely missed the fact that if you allow monsters to get to the fire they come back red. I thought the red monsters were random spawns like the green. After I stopped racing for crates and focused on controlling the monster population the game got much easier and a lot more fun.

To reiterate what I said in the last thread, jukebeat/jubeat plus remains my favorite music game on the platform (and is in fact 70% of the reason I even own an iPad 2). Reflec Beat is pretty cool too.

pulga

Banned
I'm really enjoying Cytus. Not nearly as challenging, but I like the song selection better.

To reiterate what I said in the last thread, jukebeat/jubeat plus remains my favorite music game on the platform (and is in fact 70% of the reason I even own an iPad 2). Reflec Beat is pretty cool too.

Downloading Cytus and jukebeat. Can't seem to find Reflex Beat.

Wind Up Knight is pretty cool, whoever recommended it.

HBP

Scribblenauts DLC 20 levels for .99cents!

EDIT: Does anyone have weird issues with SCB? Sometimes I will die when I don't even appear to get hit and then when I select a new game no enemies spawn.

Yeah, I'm up for changing it. Also, if I put together a list of all iCade compatible titles would you add it somewhere? I'm sure people are tired of searching out what works on it, plus the list on Touch Arcade isn't completely accurate.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Picked up Dungeon Raid and I'm considering Whale Trail and Dark Elves Team for Hero Academy. Also damn glad so games are .99 or free since I kno I'm gonna burn through gift cards so fast. With so many games I'm glad I wait for sales.

Downloading Cytus and jukebeat. Can't seem to find Reflex Beat.

Reflec Beat is only in the Japanese App Store. You'll have to switch to a Japanese Apple ID to grab it. (It uses the same model as jukebeat/jubeat plus where the game is free and expandable with downloadable song packs.) It's also worth grabbing jubeat plus as it has a different set of default songs and an order of magnitude more song packs available for download.

Tobor

Please, please change it.

Yeah, I'm up for changing it. Also, if I put together a list of all iCade compatible titles would you add it somewhere? I'm sure people are tired of searching out what works on it, plus the list on Touch Arcade isn't completely accurate.

ION's official list is kept up to date.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

conman

Here's a cheery story to start off the thread:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Whale+Trail/news.asp?c=36980

£250,000 to develop and market! Wow.
As others have said, sounds like a seriously mismanaged budget. It's a fine game, but there's nothing about it that seems any more "premium" than any other $0.99 auto-runner.

Also, I think it's funny that they would say that their one failure means that anyone else who makes a "premium" iOS game would also fail. Maybe they should make a follow up called "Sour Grape Trail."

AIRic

Two interesting games have appeared on the app store: Angry drums HD (Japanese?) and Frederic resurrection of music HD. Angry drums strangely look like taiko drumming game on consoles. Is it the same game or a cheap ripoff? I think I might buy Frederic, but when I try to it says that I don't have enough storage, which is weird since I have 1.8GB available...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Scribblenauts DLC 20 levels for .99cents!

EDIT: Does anyone have weird issues with SCB? Sometimes I will die when I don't even appear to get hit and then when I select a new game no enemies spawn.

Downloading right now. haven't had that issue

SteveWD40

As others have said, sounds like a seriously mismanaged budget. It's a fine game, but there's nothing about it that seems any more "premium" than any other $0.99 auto-runner.

Also, I think it's funny that they would say that their one failure means that anyone else who makes a "premium" iOS game would also fail. Maybe they should make a follow up called "Sour Grape Trail."

Wasted too much on the music lisence, know someone that knows them and word is they are not too savvy on the business side of things.

Yeah, the amount they've spent on it is crazy, but for a 99c game that's had as much coverage as that to have only made 140,000 sales (under $100,000 revenue, plus some from the DLC) seems shocking.
I think we're going to see a lot more stories from developers along these lines this year.

Pastry

Banned
Yeah, the amount they've spent on it is crazy, but for a 99c game that's had as much coverage as that to have only made 140,000 sales (under $100,000 revenue, plus some from the DLC) seems shocking.
I think we're going to see a lot more stories from developers along these lines this year.
Nothing I have seen about the game differentiates it from the dozens of other endless runners, Tiny Wings beat it to the punch and made the millions first. I don't get their decision to have such a large budget for an endless runner game when the genre is so overcrowded on iOS. Is the composer or band for the game a big deal or something? Who did they license the music from?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
New 'Galaxy On Fire 2' Expansion Announced, Hitting Soon-ish

http://toucharcade.com/2012/01/17/new-galaxy-on-fire-2-expansion-announced-hitting-soon-ish/

http://press.fishlabs.net/en/hotter-than-ever-fishlabs-announces-galaxy-on-fire-2-supernova/

The add-on, a 10 plus hour adventure dubbed "Supernova," will incorporate new mission types, new stories, better visuals, and even some fun callbacks to the series' more memorable characters, like Khador.

Supernova takes place immediately after events in the last expansion, Valkryie. Here's a blurb that explains what's going on in Supernova specifically:

"After the unravelling of the Valkyrie conspiracy, daily routine has returned to the Deep Science space station. Carla dreams of a quiet and idyllic life with her sweetheart Keith, but the restless space war hero is not ready to settle yet.

Hence the desperate plea for help of an old friend comes right in time: A gigantic supernova, which seems to be of unnatural origin, threatens to destroy the whole Mido sector and its inhabitants."

Fishlabs-GOF2-Supernova-Troopcarrier.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom