• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's the best of the best. I kinda wanna add some Lost World music to the end there, but the section already takes up half the OP and I think Beef would try to shiv me if I pad it out any further.
What about exchanging some current themes in the OP for themes you'd like to add from Lost World?

that must have been really awesome. i really like the 'reflektor' single. i'll probably pick up the album too. i don't usually purchase albums on the whole anymore. aside from david bowie, i've only picked up four albums in the last two years i think (foo fighters, gorillaz, the naked and famous, and childish gambino).

oh they're up there for me too, but i was trying to keep my list relatively small, or else i'd recommend everything from low, heroes, scary monsters (and super creeps) and more. i also wanted to point out some of the lesser-known stuff, which mostly comes from his post-labrynth days for americans (he's been popular in the uk a long time). life on mars? is actually one of the songs i try to imitate, but can not really nail down.
I didn't like the recent Foo Fighters album much. I don't think I can put my finger on why. I can still listen to Monkey Wrench, Everlong, All My Life, Times Like These, even up to The Pretender and Let it Die. Wasting Light, though, I dunno.

Oh, right, I forgot he maintains a steady lead in the UK. And he did stuff on Omikron.

Oooh, glad you liked Reflektor. I love that song. Very mellow. Arcade Fire's come a long way from their beginnings a few years ago.

wasn't some of the staff behind generations curiously missing for lost worlds? i wonder if they're busy doing a bigger project.

lost worlds. man. there's a game i'd like to know more about behind the scenes. i have the feeling the story of that one is a lot like nights 2.
I'd like to think that there's another project along the way. I know Blaze/Sega1991 was thinking there would be one.

Funny thing. When I was looking through those Game Developer articles a few days ago, I noted that it was simply very rare to come across postmortems and articles by Japanese developers or Japanese companies. Square Enix seemed to like doing it until Final Fantasy XIII's release. I dunno why people suddenly stopped writing them.

The last 'interesting' article I read was from 2011 detailing how Michael Jackson visited Sega of Japan in 1988, and Mark Cerny showed him around while noting that Jackson's monkey stayed in the car.

Ivy the Kiwi? also had a postmortem article, with this part under the What Went Wrong portion
3} Changing The Colors.

The graphics in Ivy the Kiwi? differ between the Japanese version and the U.S./EU version.

In the Japanese version, it has more of a sepia tone; however, the U.S. and EU versions are more colorful due to the publisher's request. Since the schedule for the U.S. version was coming up, it was dangerous to attempt to change the coloring of the entire game without making it look weird.

In the end, the graphic adjustment went well and the coloring process was a success, but we had to re-take hundreds of screenshots and re-record the super-play video.
...which makes me wonder how much effort goes into super-play stuff, not just in this game, but also especially Mario games and such.

There was an interview with Naoto Oshima from 2009 but that might be too old to cite.

BS: Christmas Nights was also ahead of its time--the idea that you could unlock extra stuff depending on what the date is. Those sorts of games are still rare to see.

Oshima: Indeed. That game is mostly the same as NiGHTS, but it was very literally a Christmas present for our audience, a sort of thank-you from Sega to its fans. That was the concept.

BS: I was an enormous fan of Sega, around the Saturn and Mega Drive eras, and that certainly calls to mind the Sega of old. What struck me about Christmas Nights was that there was a lot of stuff in there, altered graphics and such, that would only be playable for two days' time.

Oshima: We had the idea to have Spring Nights, Summer Nights, and so forth, reflecting all of the seasons. It really wasn't a technological challenge, as the textures don't really change much. It didn't take a lot of time, and I think its mission of drumming up interest and excitement among our fans was pretty well met.

BS: What did you think of the new Nights?

Oshima: The Wii one? That project was led by [Takashi] Iizuka, who was the lead designer on the original NiGHTS. He really loves that character, and I'm sure that he was able to create the NiGHTS that he wanted to create.

BS: It didn't feel the same to me.

Oshima: It was, perhaps, more Americanized than before. The original NiGHTS was chiefly made with the Japanese and European audiences in mind--Sonic, meanwhile, was squarely aimed at the U.S. market.

AniHawk

I didn't like the recent Foo Fighters album much. I don't think I can put my finger on why. I can still listen to Monkey Wrench, Everlong, All My Life, Times Like These, even up to The Pretender and Let it Die. Wasting Light, though, I dunno.

wasting light has a couple of tracks i like, but overall i prefer echoes, silence, patience, and grace. espg is one of my favorite foo fighters albums and come alive is probably my favorite foo fighters song since everlong.

I'd like to think that there's another project along the way. I know Blaze/Sega1991 was thinking there would be one.

Funny thing. When I was looking through those Game Developer articles a few days ago, I noted that it was simply very rare to come across postmortems and articles by Japanese developers or Japanese companies. Square Enix seemed to like doing it until Final Fantasy XIII's release. I dunno why people suddenly stopped writing them.

there's definitely some speculation over what the third nintendo exclusive is. i still think it's sega racing 3, but if the generations team is working on something else, then it could be another platformer.

qq more

sega racing is handled by sumo and will likely remain multiplat, so i think it's safe to say the next sonic game for the nintendo partnership isnt going to be that

Tizoc

Sonic Racing Transformed seems to have done much better on PC than on other systems, especially with it getting 7 or so extra DLC characters.
That alone is one reason why Sonic Racing 3 may not be a Nintendo Exclusive.

The thing I am wondering atm is if SEGA is planning on ditching the support for the Wii U with new titles.

Put Sonic 1-3+Knuckles Whitebread or M2 ports on Vita and you will make up some of the Wii U losses

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #73

Song: Final Boss
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Composer: Man, it's Sonic 3, I dunno. One of the Sega staff.

A new OT demands an appropriate inaugural SotD, and I have enough standards not to put you through the obvious choice.

S3&K's boss themes all rocked hard, and none of them rocked harder than this did. It's the piece you go to when everything's on the line and Mr. Bad's got it good, it's intimidating as hell, and while I want to complain that the heroic chorus doesn't last long enough, that's the entire point.

I also want to make special mention of the fact that you should listen to Sonic 3's music very carefully. It has a more complex and layered style than its predecessors, and the sound programming was done by absolute masters of the hardware who knew exactly how to mix the tracks and squeeze out as much detail as possible. The result is music that's loaded with layers of little subtleties, and it's very rare to hear an arrangement that captures all of them. Angel Island is my go to example, but I like this one as well; everyone focuses on the lead melody, but what makes the piece is how it's got three to four other voices playing harmony the whole way though. And they're distinguished by pitch and panning rather than volume, so you can pick each and every one out instead of having the lead bury the rest under a wall of sound. Generations' arrangement shreds pretty well, but it feels positively empty with so much of the support missing, especially the chorus, and it's mixed poorly to boot. That sort of soloing isn't what Sonic 3's music is about.

Tizoc

I have Sonic 3 & Knuckles' OST in my car's flash disk in case I want to give a listen to it haha. The OST is so goooood.

Oh and just a repost:
Sonic #255 had good writing, but weak art, hope the next issue's art will be better.

PKrockin

That art is still my favorite 15 years later.

I remember a screensaver that came with hundreds of Sonic official artwork and this was one of them. It was from the Sonic & Knuckles Collection for PC.

Dude, it wasn't just a screensaver, you could customize how and in what order Sonic characters would draw or erase the artwork from the screen. It was so cool when I was 10. There was one where Sonic would bounce around the screen turning all the pixels he touched to the new art, and one where Knuckles would push/pull the art from one side of the screen. There was even music and sound effects. That way when you left the computer with the volume up everyone would start complaining about they could hear the spin dash sound from across the house. Way past cool.

Dario ff

Banned
Can't wait for |OT 06| :)
5aa9x.gif

Razzer

I wonder what this would be like if someone made an orchestral remix. Unlike the hard rock ones there could be more of a focus on subtlety and layers like in the original piece. And yes this does feel epic, one of my favourite boss themes in the series.

Cool theme, real trippy to listen to. I like it.

Forgot to mention I'm MobileGAF too and can't see it.

Rhq2cHY.png

Looks like Sonic is wearing an orange peel.

I may check my phone to see if it's like that on my end.

EDIT: Okay, just checked, and I see what you mean. MobileGAF has that pure black background. I guess the only that could be done is to change the font color, or switch to light mode. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, checked on Vita and my Tablet and it does the same thing. Hmmm. The only colour I could think of switching it to is a blue if you'd really like to see it on GAF mobile.

Or changing to NeoGAF Default, but man, I can't look at this site in the default colours anymore, haha.
--

Also, since most of us watch LPs/Retsupuraes in here, they'll be riffing on the VGX thing when it's on.

I thought I was the only one who loved going to Angel Island for that sort of thing. :O

Honestly, the thing I paid the most attention to when listening to this isn't the main melody or anything, but it's the one of the layers, oh I know you can guess which one it is I paid the most attention to. It doesn't stay the same, either, like some people like to say. It does switch notes depending on the section. And that's the type of thing that makes it relatively prime for a bass arrangement.

It's also a slight product of its time, when I felt that a lot of the pop/dance/house/trance/rock songs back then were more of these harmonious and joint ventures as opposed to a soloing affair or this solo with an ensemble background. I know we like to say that Sonic really likes to take its music from their popular timeframes, but I do like to think that this 'idea' was also part of it.

I'll never understand how Knuckles was able to knock Sonic out of Super Sonic form.

As guardian of the emeralds, Knuckles has deep knowledge about their properties. As such he was able to strike Sonic in such a way that the resonance of the emeralds was disrupted, knocking Sonic out of his Super form. Or whatever.

TimmiT

So I just finished Tearaway. I had the credits on in the background while listening to the music, I looked and suddenly:
Ba6HVPhIMAA7pM_.jpg

Under Sony Computer Entertainment Latin America

HE LIVES.

PKrockin

I didn't even know the dark theme was available on mobile...

Also, since most of us watch LPs/Retsupuraes in here, they'll be riffing on the VGX thing when it's on.
Excellent.

As guardian of the emeralds, Knuckles has deep knowledge about their properties. As such he was able to strike Sonic in such a way that the resonance of the emeralds was disrupted, knocking Sonic out of his Super form. Or whatever.
But only as long as the Master Emerald is in its shrine. The servers are the seven chaos. Chaos is power, power is enriched by the heart. The controller serves to unify the chaos.

qq more

hey everyone come to the IRC (link in OP), we're gonna have a VGX chat in less than an hour!!!!

also schala's favorite game forever won best rpg!!! YAY

Transformed is really good. Like wow. Total upgrade over the original.

The only thing I dislike about Transformed (other than no Ryo) is that you can't change track music like you were able to in the first. Unlocking music and switching through classic tunes was one of my favorite parts.

I'm writing a SchalaTome™ for a game I just finished. I want to contribute to the tumblr page.

Thinking of doing a retrospective SchalaTome™ for Sonic Unleashed since its now five years old.

EDIT: Just remembered I have Adventure games on my PS3. Think I may do those, too, but I wanna focus on newer games first.

Top Bottom