• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

totowhoa

Banned
Usually after you go through the tutorial it will say "we have found another account associated with this ID would you like to recover it" or something similar. Happened to me on my android account as I moved to another device. Good luck.

No luck for me so far. I'm staying at level 1 and might just see how high I can push (nearly 1k now) and then call it quits on the game if the old account is gone for some reason. We'll see!

Alur

GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY) has an open spot if any GAFers need a home. If it won't let you request because of your trophy level, let us know in the thread and we'll drop it so you can get in.

totowhoa

Banned
^ A week from this upcoming weekend.

Supercell is testing my patience right now. At least respond to my report ticket, guys! Just a confirmation, even! ...grumble grumble

Any clans have an open spot? Just started playing again recently, but not sure if you need a certain trophy level for the gaf clans at ~2100 now. Name is Kawazi(#8P2JJVQP).

Alur

You can join GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY).

Will need to let us know when you are online so we can lower the trophy level to that point, however. We get spam unending at 3k+ when we have an open spot, at 2k+ it'd be unbearable. So just let us know when you're online and hopefully someone can see and get you in. We'll kick an alt to make room when you're ready.

totowhoa

Banned
Checking in as a level one only player for the moment.

Shop just refreshed a couple hours ago (seems to have defaulted to mIdnight GMT for some reason) and gave me a witch for sale.

Buying it helped me push another 300 trophies to 1304 in arena 4. Pretty sure I can go over 1500 trophies with my current deck. And I'm pretty sure Giant Skeleton could get me at least close to 2k. I dunno that it'd be feasible to go any higher without leggies.

Current deck: Giant, Witch (my savior), prince (double lane pressure and giant killer), musk, spear gobs, skeletons, arrows and fireball.

So far, every time a level 5 or 6 has disrespected my levels by wasting a spell on their side, I've won the round lol. (Edit: and now a level 7 just tried it. Tsk tsk) In general though, people are surprisingly nice down here. The CR community hasn't poisoned them yet

Kioshen

Why not use the Jason deck to climb ? It'll be cheaper to use and still viable. It's Giant, MH, Pump, StabGobs, barbs,arrows, hog, archers.

totowhoa

Banned
Why not use the Jason deck to climb ? It'll be cheaper to use and still viable. It's Giant, MH, Pump, StabGobs, barbs,arrows, hog, archers.

Only arena 4 and haven't snagged a hog yet. I can get an EC at 1700 but I'm not sure if that'll fair as well with only level 1 cards and towers. A big 6 elixer investment like that may be hard to survive, but I might try it.

I really want GS because it's harder for newer players to counter. When my fiancé started this game I set her up with a GS + gob barrel deck that was basically a free ride to 2000

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ooh I didn't even know these could drop from battles!

image.png

Dunlop

Clan chest but no clan battle?

that sucks it was actually fun

I'm at arena 10 and 2/3 of the decks I play will have Elite Barbarians in them.

I'm tired of having to play the same deck over and over to be able to counter this, they are too OP. Remove them or turn them into glass cannons

JoeNut

enjoying the game again since my big break, playing a deck with Prince because i think he's fun to use, regardless of what works or doesnt, not bothered about trophies, just playing for the fun of it, and it seems to be working so far, i don't have any of the new cards but don't seem to be missing them, although the elite barbarians seem bad ass, so i'm trying to level them up to something respectable like level 10 i guess.

hollomat

Banned
Meta is extremely stale at the moment. 90% of the decks I face fall into one of 3 categories.

1) Elite Barbs (this is 50% of the decks I face)
2) Cycle deck
3) Lavaloon/lavahound

I still win the majority of games I play, but it's due to my card levels and tower levels being much higher than my opponents, not because my deck is tuned to fight these decks.

The most frustrating thing about this game is how difficult it is to change decks, especially at the highest level. I'm sitting on 220k gold, and have enough cards to be able to lvl any common to lvl 12 or any rare to lvl 8 (some to lvl 9).

I'm extremely reluctant to change anything though even though I'm sitting on this much gold due to the high cost. Commons I don't use are only lvled to around lvl 5 or lower and rare I don't use are only around lvl 3 or 4.

So just rotating one common card into my deck would require 85k gold to get it to 12. Assuming it doesn't work as well as the ones I'm currently using, that's 85k down the drain. If I rotate two commons in, that's 170k gold.

That's what I really appreciate about games like hearthstone. Even if you wanted to build a new competitive deck completely from scratch, you could probably get enough dust to do it in a few weeks. I've been playing clash royale non stop for a year and I only have enough gold to rotate 2 cards.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meta is extremely stale at the moment. 90% of the decks I face fall into one of 3 categories.

1) Elite Barbs (this is 50% of the decks I face)
2) Cycle deck
3) Lavaloon/lavahound

I still win the majority of games I play, but it's due to my card levels and tower levels being much higher than my opponents, not because my deck is tuned to fight these decks.

The most frustrating thing about this game is how difficult it is to change decks, especially at the highest level. I'm sitting on 220k gold, and have enough cards to be able to lvl any common to lvl 12 or any rare to lvl 8 (some to lvl 9).

I'm extremely reluctant to change anything though even though I'm sitting on this much gold due to the high cost. Commons I don't use are only lvled to around lvl 5 or lower and rare I don't use are only around lvl 3 or 4.

So just rotating one common card into my deck would require 85k gold to get it to 12. Assuming it doesn't work as well as the ones I'm currently using, that's 85k down the drain. If I rotate two commons in, that's 170k gold.

That's what I really appreciate about games like hearthstone. Even if you wanted to build a new competitive deck completely from scratch, you could probably get enough dust to do it in a few weeks. I've been playing clash royale non stop for a year and I only have enough gold to rotate 2 cards.

I know I sound like a broken record, but this is one of the many reasons why I only play challenge mode. You don't have to pay the gold to level your cards above level 9.

hollomat

Banned
I know I sound like a broken record, but this is one of the many reasons why I only play challenge mode. You don't have to pay the gold to level your cards above level 9.

I just really don't enjoy challenge mode, it's way too stressful for me. With the ladder at least if I lose, I don't really care since the loss doesn't meant anything. But anytime I play challenge mode, I get way more invested since each loss gets me closer and closer to being eliminated and each win gets me a better reward.

I'm also terrible at challenge mode since the only deck I play on ladder revolves around royal giant. Royal giant only works on ladder when he is overleved, so having him at tournament lvls in challenge mode makes him terrible.

b33r

Challenge mode is much more viable now that the chests go towards the crown chest. It doesn't affect your ladder position and you don't need over leveled cards. It's also the best way to change gems to gold if you can just get a few wins, win win.

You can grind the chest slots with your ladder team, but no more worries for the crown chest. I'm currently stuck between hog arena and the new legendary arena and I'm fine with it. It's easy enough to get my chest slots filled while using challenge mode if need be to fill my crown chest.

JoeNut

What are some good challenge decks? are they vastly different to ladder?

i currently use for ladder
Fire spirits
prince
zap
goblin barrel
3 minions
muskateer
ice wiz

You can join GAF Royale (#Q8C9CY).

Will need to let us know when you are online so we can lower the trophy level to that point, however. We get spam unending at 3k+ when we have an open spot, at 2k+ it'd be unbearable. So just let us know when you're online and hopefully someone can see and get you in. We'll kick an alt to make room when you're ready.

Hello, I would like to join one of the Gaf clans. I like the one that has peace and love in the description, #Y8CGRR, but I would join any clan that has a spot available. I would like to join one that is able to complete the clan chests.

J0dy77

Hello, I would like to join one of the Gaf clans. I like the one that has peace and love in the description, #Y8CGRR, but I would join any clan that has a spot available. I would like to join one that is able to complete the clan chests.

send a request to #8GUV99C. we're looking

hollomat

Banned
I think it was a really poor decision on supercells part to raise the clan battle win requirement for a lvl 10 chest from 100 to 250. I understand their reasoning (the lvl 10 chest was earned too quickly last time, before some people could even participate), but I think a better solution would be to give the chest to anyone who wins a clan battle, even if the win occurs after the lvl 10 chest has been unlocked.

The max chest was unlocked very fast last time, but that was when everyone was excited to try out a new game mode. Once that euphoria dies down, it's going to be a lot harder to unlock. Especially because you don't earn any chests from this mode or gold, so the only reasons to play it are for fun or to contribute to the clan chest.

Alur

I think it was a really poor decision on supercells part to raise the clan battle win requirement for a lvl 10 chest from 100 to 250. I understand their reasoning (the lvl 10 chest was earned too quickly last time, before some people could even participate), but I think a better solution would be to give the chest to anyone who wins a clan battle, even if the win occurs after the lvl 10 chest has been unlocked.

The max chest was unlocked very fast last time, but that was when everyone was excited to try out a new game mode. Once that euphoria dies down, it's going to be a lot harder to unlock. Especially because you don't earn any chests from this mode or gold, so the only reasons to play it are for fun or to contribute to the clan chest.

I think it just depends on the clan. Overall, you're probably right. Or at the very least it shouldn't have went so high.

For us, though, we're already at 189/250 on day one and it's only 3 PM PST. Some of these dudes in GAF Royale are maniacs. We have 5 people with double digit wins and two with 20 or more wins. They would have completed the old chest even faster than last time at this rate which would've sucked. It's been great for us in that respect, but I can definitely understand how it could be frustrating for others.

I think your suggestion about the rewarding coming from participating in clan battles period would be a good one, though honestly with as much trouble as they've had out of the clan chest I'd rather they not even have one than have to deal with all the shit we have because there is one.

hollomat

Banned
At the very least they need to do something about the clan battles completely dominating clan chat. Makes it impossible to have a conversation while the battles are going on and a lot tougher to see requests.

cuilan

So, my current deck is good enough to keep me in arena 10, but it's a bit inconsistent in terms of performance. I'm constantly fluctuating between 3500~4000 trophies with it, and I'm not sure what to change. I could switch out Inferno Dragon for Mega Minion. Mega Minion may be a lot harder to distract, but I do prefer Inferno Dragon being harder to kill and its ability to quickly melt through both tanks and towers. Or perhaps I should just make a completely new deck.

Kioshen

At this point it's just a matter of card levels. Getting there on mostly tournament standard card is already pretty good. You could try the standard lavaloon lightning list but I don't remember off the top of my head. I don't think it would change much because inferno dragon is pretty good to burn down overleveled tanks on the ladder.

UFO

Banned
So, my current deck is good enough to keep me in arena 10, but it's a bit inconsistent in terms of performance. I'm constantly fluctuating between 3500~4000 trophies with it, and I'm not sure what to change. I could switch out Inferno Dragon for Mega Minion. Mega Minion may be a lot harder to distract, but I do prefer Inferno Dragon being harder to kill and its ability to quickly melt through both tanks and towers. Or perhaps I should just make a completely new deck.

Thats going to happen in a high cost and high risk/reward deck like that.

zenbot

I just really don't enjoy challenge mode, it's way too stressful for me. With the ladder at least if I lose, I don't really care since the loss doesn't meant anything. But anytime I play challenge mode, I get way more invested since each loss gets me closer and closer to being eliminated and each win gets me a better reward.
Play more challenge mode! (Maybe!) I felt the same way for a long time but the feeling ended up going away, and it's so great to be able to try decks on a whim at basically no cost (I've got a bunch of gems lying around from arena packs, but I find that the gems from free chests just about cover the 10-cost challenge at the rate at which I finish the challenge, assuming I'm not on a severe tilt.)

The main problem I have with challenges is assuming tournament level card interactions when I go back to ladder. Knight vs elite barbs is a... somewhat different story when the ebarbs have a level or several on the knight.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Hmmm have you tried swapping the knight for minions? The extra air troop may put a lot of pressure on your opponents probably stretched air defenses, and it may help draw out a zap or arrows before your lava hound pops.

You might also be able to use minions to push a balloon faster? I know you can do it with minion horde.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hmmm have you tried swapping the knight for minions? The extra air troop may put a lot of pressure on your opponents probably stretched air defenses, and it may help draw out a zap or arrows before your lava hound pops.

You might also be able to use minions to push a balloon faster? I know you can do it with minion horde.
Dunno about Balloon but minions can push Lavahound.

cuilan

Thats going to happen in a high cost and high risk/reward deck like that.

Yeah, I figured. Dunno what other deck to switch to though.

My only issue with that is knight combined with tombstone is a perfect counter to elite barbarians. I play the tombstone in the center first to attract the elite barbarians, opponents almost always zap or log it right before it pops, and then I immediately play the knight a little further to the other side to drag the elite barbarians towards my other tower. Completely shuts down elite barbarians, opponent wastes a crowd control spell, and I end up with a +2 elixir trade. This has worked many times for me.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I hate how this game cheats when it wants you to lose.

How so?

In matchmaking?

Why would "the game" want or need you to lose in a specific individual match? You'd lose and hit a wall without the game ever needing to cheat.

UFO

Banned
How so?

In matchmaking?

Why would "the game" want or need you to lose in a specific individual match? You'd lose and hit a wall without the game ever needing to cheat.

The way matching making works- getting the same matchup that you've been struggling with. The way enemies get targeted before other enemies, the way hogs will redirect themselves back to the tower for no reason, The way an enemy will survive with just a sliver of heath so they can deal damage behind a tank. It doesn't feel random.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The way matching making works- getting the same matchup that you've been struggling with.

So, a lot of people have made this claim, but in my view this is confirmation bias. My own experience is anecdotal, but in the literally hundreds of hours I have played, and thousands of matches, I haven't seen any real evidence to back this up.

There are lots of decks that people have, and there are thousands of combinations of cards. So firstly, you likely aren't get matched against literally "the same" deck in succession, though I concede (and what you likely mean) you may very well come up back to back against a Hog/Inferno based deck, or a Bowler/Graveyard deck, or a Golem/Tombstone deck. And there always be that deck that you struggle against because every deck is weak to some other combination (though if you are truly struggling with more than one "core" deck you are going up against, then you may have to consider changing your deck and/or strategy).

The thing is, the core of such decks are common enough that it isn't statistically unrealistic to come up against a Hog/Inferno deck 2 or 3 times in a row. You just tend to remember those times that you do because its frustrating. Not to mention if you are feeling defeatist about going up against a particular deck then the second or third time you come up against it in a row you can start playing irrationally. I have that myself, and need to check myself from playing too aggressively which tends to only increase my chance of losing to a deck I'm weak against. Putting the game down for a bit and coming back to it later is a great way of breaking a losing streak.

If you really think the game is working against you in the matchmaking, I'd suggest going through your activity log which will have your last 20 matches there, and count the number of times you have actually been matched against your "nemesis". My guess is that it isn't coming up as much as you imagine.

And again, Supercell has no need to "cheat" anybody on the ladder. The game unlocking and leveling structure is so well balanced that any player will naturally hit the wall and be required to either grind or pay because players above you have cards at higher levels or cards you don't have or have no counter to. And you'll have to do that multiple times as you ascend through the arenas.

The way enemies get targeted before other enemies, the way hogs will redirect themselves back to the tower for no reason,

This honestly sounds like you might be on a laggy connection if things are not targeting consistently or are otherwise erratic (the hog redirect especially sounds like the simulation on your side needed to be "corrected" after placing a building against a hog "too late" which itself would happen a lot on a laggy connection).

Something that is not immediately obvious though, and which might be contributing to your issue, is the unit graphics are misleading, especially for flying units. Where the units actually are on the map is where the shadow of that unit is, and that is what the targeting is based on. For example, this can make targeting a Balloon unit next to a tank incredibly frustrating until you start looking at their shadows (even then, it requires a lot of skill sometimes).

The way an enemy will survive with just a sliver of heath so they can deal damage behind a tank. It doesn't feel random.

It isn't random, and it isn't supposed to be. This is by specific design. The damage that units do and the health they have is not variable, but static every time. And the interactions between cards and particularly between cards of different levels have been carefully balanced.

This is not cheating.

You need to pay attention to what units you are putting up against other units, and particularly the levels of each. An example of this is the Fireball. A level 9 Fireball will cause 689 troop damage. A level 8 Muskateer has 656 health, while a level 9 Muskateer has 720. A good use of a level 9 Fireball might be to hit a level 9 Muskateer passes the tower, eliminating the unit entirely while getting some damage on the tower too for an even elixir trade. However, it's not such a great decision against a level 9 Muskateer given it will be left alive, and you'll have to spend more elixir to kill it not to mention something else tanky will probably be dropped in front of it. In the latter instance, it is better to wait to see what else is dropped in support and to react to the combination of those units.

So, yes, sometimes units will survive with a sliver of health and go on to wreak havoc. That's an integral part of the higher end game. You need to be skilled to make sure this doesn't happen, and that means paying attention to the levels of units, knowing the levels of your units off by heart, and learning the interactions between the cards with level parity and level disparity.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom