• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

gimic26

Neo Member
Planet Earth 2 is simply stunning. Brilliant colors and dynamic range without looking too oversaturated and incredibly sharp images. I just wish more of the film was shot using 4k cameras but I understand why it might not have been possible.

Anyone else excited about Interstellar coming out next month?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Are any of you using the Sbone as your UHD disc player? I've been having issues, and wondered if they were common - or if anyone has dealt with them while watching UHD discs on other dedicated players.

Are you noticing the framerate suddenly dropping, like the player has to catch up to the movie, or suddenly increasing as if it's trying to catch up with itself?

Might just be my player, but I sent it in under warranty, and the issue persists. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I'd like to switch.

Have had zero problems on the One X.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In a surprise, Home Alone went up on iTunes this weekend. Surprise because I don't think there is even a 4K UHD BR of it. It isn't HDR (thank god), AND appears to be true 4K (the previous BR releases were 4K masters according to press material). The quality of Home Alone 2 seems comparable, but is only HD.. hence saying it sure as hell looks like the first one is true 4K.. film grain is nuts in it (in an awesome way) compared to 2 where the film grain specks are "bigger", likely due to the lower resolution. Feels weird basically watching a pristine 35mm film projection on 55" screen.

Weevilone

HDR is really nice. Hard to tell a huge difference otherwise. Darker scenes seem much clearer.

It's interesting how we can train our eyes to ignore defects. I've grown used to streaming, so I've learned to ignore the compression artifacts somehow. I was watching a show the other day and my 12 year old kept asking "what's that?".. turns out he couldn't unsee the compression artifacts in dark scenes. Of course neither could I after he pointed it out.

It's interesting how we can train our eyes to ignore defects. I've grown used to streaming, so I've learned to ignore the compression artifacts somehow. I was watching a show the other day and my 12 year old kept asking "what's that?".. turns out he couldn't unsee the compression artifacts in dark scenes. Of course neither could I after he pointed it out.
I have a friend that says he is perfectly happy with DVD quality movies on a 55" 1080p or 4k display. Yuck.

kunonabi

Welp, broke down and got a 4k player. The black friday sales were too good to pass up. Wont be able to buy too many movies anytime soon though. I did grab the Amazing Spider-man 2 pack to break it in so im looking forward to that.

Welp, broke down and got a 4k player. The black friday sales were too good to pass up. Wont be able to buy too many movies anytime soon though. I did grab the Amazing Spider-man 2 pack to break it in so im looking forward to that.

Just did the same. Got the Sony X800 player at $150 for my 65X930C. Best Buy has insane prices on 4k movies, many of which are $9.99-$14.99. IF you spend over $199 on the Best Buy credit card, you get 6 months interest free financing. Build that collection up real quick..

Not that I plan on doing that..

kunonabi

Just did the same. Got the Sony X800 player at $150 for my 65X930C. Best Buy has insane prices on 4k movies, many of which are $9.99-$14.99. IF you spend over $199 on the Best Buy credit card, you get 6 months interest free financing. Build that collection up real quick..

Not that I plan on doing that..

Yeah, there are a good 5-6 4K movies from there I wanted. I ended up getting the Spider-Man set from Amazon since it was a lightning deal and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

I'm going to try and find a way to get Valerian since that was the main reason I wanted a 4k player in the first place.

Yeah, there are a good 5-6 4K movies from there I wanted. I ended up getting the Spider-Man set from Amazon since it was a lightning deal and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

I'm going to try and find a way to get Valerian since that was the main reason I wanted a 4k player in the first place.

Is that movie any good? I am a big Fifth Element fan, as well as The Professional. I just got Besson's movie Lucy for $9.99 on UHD on a pre-Black Friday deal. Still shipping out so can't vouch for the quality.

I've heard Valerian is a reference quality 4k disc, and I believe on some good sales this weekend as well. If you recommend it, I'll pick it up.

kunonabi

Is that movie any good? I am a big Fifth Element fan, as well as The Professional. I just got Besson's movie Lucy for $9.99 on UHD on a pre-Black Friday deal. Still shipping out so can't vouch for the quality.

I've heard Valerian is a reference quality 4k disc, and I believe on some good sales this weekend as well. If you recommend it, I'll pick it up.

I really enjoyed it for the imagination and the visuals. The writing isn't great and the acting isn't much better with Rihanna ruining what could have been a really endearing and memorable character but in a lot of ways it provided the kind of thrills I would expect from a new Star Wars movie that were sorely lacking from The Force Awakens.

It's totally worth a watch but it kind of depends on your tolerance for messy writing and bad acting if it's worth a purchase.

Robot Pants

So is the Sony X800 a better player than the Xbox One S?

I know the X and the S don’t produce colors correctly because of the matrix they use, but is the X800 any better?

The standalone players are finally lower in price and I wat to get one

So is the Sony X800 a better player than the Xbox One S?

I know the X and the S don't produce colors correctly because of the matrix they use, but is the X800 any better?

The standalone players are finally lower in price and I wat to get one

My experience with the X800 has been fantastic so far. I will say that the thing is massive. Super wide and pretty heavy duty in construction. Sony is one of the fathers of 4K in this industry, and their processing and upscaling is industry standard.

While I've heard the XBOX S and X do the job fine from many posters here as well as some review outlets, I've also heard there are a bunch of issues from others.

Overall, while it's hard to justify a standalone player in the era of streaming and consoles that feature UHD playback, as a longterm investment, I'm happy I went with the X800.

kunonabi

My experience with the X800 has been fantastic so far. I will say that the thing is massive. Super wide and pretty heavy duty in construction. Sony is one of the fathers of 4K in this industry, and their processing and upscaling is industry standard.

While I've heard the XBOX S and X do the job fine from many posters here as well as some review outlets, I've also heard there are a bunch of issues from others.

Overall, while it's hard to justify a standalone player in the era of streaming and consoles that feature UHD playback, as a longterm investment, I'm happy I went with the X800.

I was tempted by the XboneS but i figured that the BC wasnt worth having to deal with having another console around. A simple player with a normal remote is just more appealing to me right now. I just hope it fits in my entertainment center.

Robot Pants

I've already committed to UHD playback. I have the Xbox One S already and 20 or so movies and you've just sold me on the X800. :)

edit: well maybe not.
I'm reading that its very buggy and freezes a lot. Sometimes wont update over a wired connection. Let me know how yours goes in the next few days or so.

I was tempted by the XboneS but i figured that the BC wasnt worth having to deal with having another console around. A simple player with a normal remote is just more appealing to me right now. I just hope it fits in my entertainment center.
The S was quite loud but my X is not.

It is nice with my TV though because the Samsung TV remote controls my Xbox One S/X natively. I like one remote for everything.

I've been building my blu ray collection with a few foreign films, from the UK, Germany, and such. The issue is, not a lot of players in the US can work with all the different formats. I got lucky when using the PS4 when watching Utopia (UK and Germany discs) and was able to see the entire series. Due to the PS4 not supporting UHD discs has put me in a bind.

If I go for the PS4 I have compatibility, but I loose out on UHD and would have to get another device

I tested the Xbox One S and it worked with the UK discs, but not the German ones. That would allow for some of my collection to be compatible while enjoying the region free goodness of UHD discs.

Wanted to get some thoughts on those who reach past their borders for their discs

This probably isn't the right thread to ask this in, but I can't find a better place..

I just bought a 65" 4K UHD TV. It replaced a 60" 1080p TV I had before.

The picture quality from Netflix, Plex, Hulu are all not very good. It's very pixelated and blocky. The Plex stuff are 1080p rips, so they're of good quality. I haven't tried any BlueRays, but I'm guessing they won't look great if my rips aren't looking very good, either.

Is anything that is not 4K quality going to look terrible on this TV because it's being stretched? I'm considering taking it back and keeping my old TV because everything looks better on it, despite being an older TV that isn't as advanced. I'm just really disappointed.

The TV is a Samsung 6 series 4K UHD TV.

Syriel

This probably isn't the right thread to ask this in, but I can't find a better place..

I just bought a 65" 4K UHD TV. It replaced a 60" 1080p TV I had before.

The picture quality from Netflix, Plex, Hulu are all not very good. It's very pixelated and blocky. The Plex stuff are 1080p rips, so they're of good quality. I haven't tried any BlueRays, but I'm guessing they won't look great if my rips aren't looking very good, either.

Is anything that is not 4K quality going to look terrible on this TV because it's being stretched? I'm considering taking it back and keeping my old TV because everything looks better on it, despite being an older TV that isn't as advanced. I'm just really disappointed.

The TV is a Samsung 6 series 4K UHD TV.

Sounds like scaler issue. 1080p -> 4K is just 4x pixels, so at the same viewing distance on a similar size screen, you shouldn't notice a real difference on the same source.

I'm tempted to buy a UHD Blu-ray player either tonight or tomorrow, and I'm wondering what would be the best option for under $200.

Just get an Xbox S.

You get the player and full app support (Amazon, Netflix, Plex, HBO, etc.).

Sounds like scaler issue. 1080p -> 4K is just 4x pixels, so at the same viewing distance on a similar size screen, you shouldn't notice a real difference on the same source.

Just get an Xbox S.

You get the player and full app support (Amazon, Netflix, Plex, HBO, etc.).
But I'm not interested in Xbox One games :/

Syriel

But I'm not interested in Xbox One games :/

And, your point? :p

I didn't suggest it for the games. Just because it can play games doesn't mean you have to play games.

It's a solid player for less than $200, that also has great app support, plays back a variety of media over the network (or local USB), and integrates with your cable box if you have one.

Unless you require Dolby Vision, it fits your stated requirements nicely.

Nipo

Thanks! LG's is the only one with DV at the moment, right? Well, aside from Oppo's, but that's way out of my price range.

LG is promising the dv update by end of year so is a Phillips. Both will also run around $150 this weekend. The LG has reports of noise issues though and not many reports on the Philips at all.

I took a chance on the LG and so far no noise issues. Amazon has an extended return policy though Jan 31 for holidays so I figure this is a good chance to test it and if it becomes loud I have a few months to return it.

I'm not really familiar with that terminology. What does that mean? Should I be able to modify the TV settings to get it to look better or could something be wrong with the TV itself that would require me to return it? I get that it's probably upconverting the source to accommodate for the higher resolution, but I'm not very familiar with TVs and how to properly calibrate them.

Looks like I may be stopping by Best Buy tomorrow and to pickup Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Mad Max, and Furious 8. Maybe Planet Earth 2 as well, but is it worth twice as much as most movies?

Looks like I may be stopping by Best Buy tomorrow and to pickup Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Mad Max, and Furious 8. Maybe Planet Earth 2 as well, but is it worth twice as much as most movies?
Depends on the 4k transfer. All of those movies I'd say so. Spiderman Homecoming is probably the best of what you listed for picture quality. Some would say Planet Earth 2 but to me it isn't as impressive as some scenes in Spiderman Homecoming, especially things like Peter's suit in HDR.

kunonabi

Got my sony udp-x800 in and watched the two Amazing Spider-Man movies. I didn't have my mind blown or anything. I think everything is properly set-up but I could always have messed up somewhere down the line so far and my TV isn't super high-end to begin with. I think the most appealing aspect was a lot of the lighting especially in some of the night scenes as the colors really pop. Probably won't manage another 4k blu ray purchase until my birthday in January.

Tonight I'm going to test out some normal blu-rays and see how they look on it. Might also pop in the standard versions of the ASM movies for comparison's sake.

Got my sony udp-x800 in and watched the two Amazing Spider-Man movies. I didn't have my mind blown or anything. I think everything is properly set-up but I could always have messed up somewhere down the line so far and my TV isn't super high-end to begin with. I think the most appealing aspect was a lot of the lighting especially in some of the night scenes as the colors really pop. Probably won't manage another 4k blu ray purchase until my birthday in January.

Tonight I'm going to test out some normal blu-rays and see how they look on it. Might also pop in the standard versions of the ASM movies for comparison's sake.

That whole scene with electro in times Square should pop with the neon signs.

Just have to say that of all the 4k blurays I have bought recently, Blade Runner has really blown me away. My girlfriend and two friends who watched with me, as well as myself, had never seen the movie. Great movie in general, but maybe now my favorite demo disk. Quality of detail and color grading blew us all away.

So I caved on the Sony UDP-X800 and got Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2, and John Wick. Wonder Woman didn't really wow me that much in 4K/HDR, but GotG looked amazing. Haven't popped in John Wick yet. I'm using it with a Vizio P50-C1.

Harlock

You guys update the HT receiver at same time that updated for a 4K HDR tv? Most of new ones HT pass the HDR signal or it is another potential problem besides the TV HDR quality?

Nymphae

Banned
I bought Christine 4k Bluray for 5 bucks at walmart the other day, it mas a mistake or something because it scanned for 15 and I was like hey buddy, this sticker says 5. Often they're cheaper than the blu ray version, and I don't understand that because the 4k version comes with both lol.

brap

Banned
The 31 film Universal Monsters blu-ray set is on sale at amazon for only 70 bucks.

I bought Christine 4k Bluray for 5 bucks at walmart the other day, it mas a mistake or something because it scanned for 15 and I was like hey buddy, this sticker says 5. Often they're cheaper than the blu ray version, and I don't understand that because the 4k version comes with both lol.
You lucky fuck. You rat fuck motherfucker. I don't even care about that movie but I still would've picked it up lmao.

Nymphae

Banned
You lucky fuck. You rat fuck motherfucker. I don't even care about that movie but I still would've picked it up lmao.

It was just sitting front and center at a halloween blu ray sale rack, everything else was like 15 or more and it's right there all sexy for 5 bucks, can't believe I was the first to nab it. It's got a cool cover:

207167_large.jpg

I don't even think I've ever seen it, something to throw on during the halloween season.

Last edited:
It was just sitting front and center at a halloween blu ray sale rack, everything else was like 15 or more and it's right there all sexy for 5 bucks, can't believe I was the first to nab it. It's got a cool cover:

207167_large.jpg

I don't even think I've ever seen it, something to throw on during the halloween season.
Last year, i watched the 4K streaming version, and i liked it a lot.Then, i bought the 4K Blu-ray on Black Friday.

Durask

I am using Xbox One S just for Blu-Ray playback.
My rationale:
-I actually like using the controller
-Xbox will keep getting updates and upgrades for years. Standalone player will be abandoned in a couple of years.

Before that I used PS3 for my blu ray player. IMHO PS3 did an incredible job upscaling standard DVDs for big screen, no standalone DVD player came close.

The Wizard of Oz Ultra HD Blu-ray Review
According to the press documentation The Wizard of Oz was remastered using state of the art technology to derive a new 8K 16bit scan of the original Technicolor camera negative which became the basis for the 4K UHD scan.

This Ultra HD presentation is marvelous, adding a lustrous visual element to the experience of watching The Wizard of Oz. Ultra HD renderings like this should give fans contemplating the switch to an Ultra HD capable set up, the nudge they need.

The Wizard of Oz on Ultra HD Blu-ray is simply a must have for the collections of film enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray release date: December 10 (Digital: November 26)
Special Features:
  • Over Twenty Minutes of Additional Scenes
  • Five exclusive behind the scenes pieces including:
    • Quentin Tarantino's Love Letter to Hollywood
    • Bob Richardson – For the Love of Film
    • Shop Talk – The Cars of 1969
    • Restoring Hollywood – The Production Design of Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    • The Fashion of 1969
4K Blu-ray Collector's Edition:
  • Premium collectible packaging will contain a 7" vinyl record with two of the soundtrack's grooviest tunes (complete with turntable adapter), a collectible vintage poster for the Rick Dalton film Operazione Dyn-o-mite! and an exclusive new MAD Magazine parody of the Rick Dalton TV series "Bounty Law," Lousy Law
The Walmart version comes with “Rick Dalton” movie poster cards; a vintage-style film magazine with over 26 never-before-seen production photos comes with the Target release, and Best Buy offers a collectible steelbook.
1-3.jpg
11222_tn.jpg

Last edited:

10. Fury

9. Transformers: The Last Knight

8. Pacific Rim

7. The House with a Clock in Its Walls

6. Aquaman

5. Power Rangers

4. Kong: Skull Island

3. A Quiet Place

2. Godzilla: King of the Monsters