• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scary and exciting: US scientists try 1st gene editing in the body

llien

Gene editing isn't "that difficult" and has been done numerous times with an embryo (a single cell, most of the time not human), but this time it is a grown up human being:

The experiment was done Monday in California on 44-year-old Brian Madeux. Through an IV, he received billions of copies of a corrective gene and a genetic tool to cut his DNA in a precise spot.

“It’s kind of humbling” to be the first to test this, said Madeux, who has a metabolic disease called Hunter syndrome. “I’m willing to take that risk. Hopefully it will help me and other people.”

Signs of whether it’s working may come in a month; tests will show for sure in three months.

APN News`

Alebrije

QLeTRH3Reu160phDXC0kioDgtTvg7vyI1nD4AJwi8lU6SdwgVnVDCNbEJm1PjhH1OsGMn-NQaWDgOD7Cb9giETLt2shTt0KaY-Vvvf8nUxVFS5mf0E6Xs6D6c1MoK-eW4Aop3A=w500-h218-nc

do you want super zombies!? because that's how you get super zombies!

all jokes aside thou, this IS pretty cool and hopefully will lead to the cure to lots of disease and health issues.

black_13

Banned
I feel like any new technology this can be both good and bad. As long as we keep its usage in check I'm all for it.

This seems like real medical breakthrough as opposed to other forms of medicine were they just try to cover things up that also have lots of side effects.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Поздравляю, ваша мысль просто отличная

Wat

Anjelus_

Crazy how science has come so far.

The DNA process going on in our bodies is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tYrnv_o6A

That DNA doesn't 'mess up' more often is very surprising to me.

The super cool thing about this to consider, is that our bodies have been doing this looong before we knew they were doing this.

So, while it's a correct analogy that we use, and we should use it because it helps us to understand, it's obviously not strictly speaking accurate to call them "molecular machines" or "programs." Rather, the machines and factories and even computer networks that we make are themselves the analogies; the stuff we've been building has, this whole time, been faint echoes of what's been happening in nature. We're the ones that are imitating when we build factories and write codes, and we didn't even know it until recently.

And the stuff we build, cool as it is, comes nowhere near nature. Even our most epic hard drive doesn't store a fraction of the information content our bodies can.

Top Bottom