• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole Switch $99 thing is so weird, I've never seen games do this. Why bump up to a placeholder price, unless you plan on charging more?

They might not end up being $99, but I have an uneasy suspicion they end up being like $84.99 or something.
I don't really get it. Does it mean they are going to apply their strange $1USD=$1.6CAD to hardware and accessories also? It is not like people won't see the PS4/Xbox games next to the switch games for at most $80.

Kiro

Have you checked the stores in Gatineau? I doubt they'd have things you can't find in Ottawa, but who knows.

I checked there too. Well... my girlfriend is moving to South Bend in a few months, guess I can stop in at a music store when I visit her. lol.

Do you guys think I should just trust the shipping?

Hi CanadaGAF, I am trying to purchase a specific guitar but don't really want it shipped (because I sincerely don't trust CP to deliver this unscathed) and I can't find it at any Guitar shops in the Ottawa area.

Any ideas of what to do?
Try Long and Mcquade. If they dont have it in stock they should be able to order it in for you from another store. Unless your looking for something super rare this is your best bet.

Kyolux

I checked there too. Well... my girlfriend is moving to South Bend in a few months, guess I can stop in at a music store when I visit her. lol.

I'm not too much into instruments. But I wouldn't. These things need proper handling.

Just got an email from Amazon apologizing that they may miss their delivery promise for ARMS and giving me a $5 promotion to my account.

So I got ARMS with the double stack glitch, it arrived on launch day with no issues, AND I got $5 extra. Not bad.

Mine actually was late and I got that.

...but I already contacted CS on Saturday and got a $5 credit then...

so now I got $10 for it being late?

Guess they sent out a blanket $5 separately for all ARMS orders due to a lot of delays?

Kiro

Try Long and Mcquade. If they dont have it in stock they should be able to order it in for you from another store. Unless your looking for something super rare this is your best bet.

Okay, I will try this. It's sold all over the US but it is not listed as one of L&M's brands.

Edit: I talked to CSR on Saturday and got $5 too. My ARMS arrived today and I didn't get the blanket $5.

Kyolux

Mine actually was late and I got that.

...but I already contacted CS on Saturday and got a $5 credit then...

so now I got $10 for it being late?

Guess they sent out a blanket $5 separately for all ARMS orders due to a lot of delays?

They did that for RE7. Even to people that had canceled their orders like me.

Okay, I will try this. It's sold all over the US but it is not listed as one of L&M's brands.

Edit: I talked to CSR on Saturday and got $5 too. My ARMS arrived today and I didn't get the blanket $5.
Id give them a call and ask if they have any in stock and if not ask if they could order it in for you.

Wasp14

I'm so pissed at Best Buy right now. I went in to one of their mobile stores to pick up the Google Pixel USB-C charger and adapter that's still on sale for $21.99 (as an extra one for my Switch since it has power delivery). They only had the cable and not the charger, and the employee tried to sell me a generic one (that lacked PD and was only 5w) "since it's only the cable that matters".

I asked if I could order it online to my apartment since if you do it in store you get free shipping. So I give my information, he does the order and I go on my way. I get the shipping notice tonight and he put the wrong fucking unit number. You pay at the time so I'm basically out the $25.

Thinking they can do something on their end I call Best Buy customer support who tell me that nope, they can't do anything since it's already shipped. So I walked down the to the end of the hallway, knocked on this person's door that I've never met before and explained the situation. Luckily they were nice and said they'll drop it off tomorrow. A resounding "fuck you" to Best Buy for taking my money and then not giving a shit when their employee messes up. I kept the receipt so I can fill out the survey.

Can anyone confirm they were able to call Walmart and cancel an order after the 30 minute cancel window? Just got off the phone with a CSR refusing to and claiming they are incapable of doing so after 30 minutes. Thought I read here folks were able to but want to double check before calling again.

Whales

Banned
Sooo my brother bought the switch+mk8d bundle from bestbuy when it was in stock the other day.

They also shipped him those free amiibos but the catch is that they made him pay 18$ payshipping for ONLY the amiibo... The fuck?

the switch itself didnt even ship. Did this happen to anyone else?

Ventara

Sooo my brother bought the switch+mk8d bundle from bestbuy when it was in stock the other day.

They also shipped him those free amiibos but the catch is that they made him pay 18$ payshipping for ONLY the amiibo... The fuck?

Did this $18 shipping charge show up on the invoice when he paid or the online receipt?

MercuryLS3

They charged me $3 to ship the amino, they just shipped the switch bundle today...i'm expecting to just get MK8 :(

I'm so pissed at Best Buy right now. I went in to one of their mobile stores to pick up the Google Pixel USB-C charger and adapter that's still on sale for $21.99 (as an extra one for my Switch since it has power delivery). They only had the cable and not the charger, and the employee tried to sell me a generic one (that lacked PD and was only 5w) "since it's only the cable that matters".

I asked if I could order it online to my apartment since if you do it in store you get free shipping. So I give my information, he does the order and I go on my way. I get the shipping notice tonight and he put the wrong fucking unit number. You pay at the time so I'm basically out the $25.

Thinking they can do something on their end I call Best Buy customer support who tell me that nope, they can't do anything since it's already shipped. So I walked down the to the end of the hallway, knocked on this person's door that I've never met before and explained the situation. Luckily they were nice and said they'll drop it off tomorrow. A resounding "fuck you" to Best Buy for taking my money and then not giving a shit when their employee messes up. I kept the receipt so I can fill out the survey.
Definitely shitty but not BB fault. Employees make mistakes all the time. Just for future reference make sure you get someone to read back your info whenever you sign up for something!

Kyolux

Like I said above, for me it was $5 for the amiibo shipping. And it's not like I wanted it. But now I kind of want to keep that at the very least and I'm going to display it at work out of spite or something.

trebbble

I've had some nice musical instruments - rickenbackers, fenders, moog, etc - shipped from the states without any problem. You shouldn't have to pay duty on US made instruments. If it's a reputable seller, they'll work with you on the shipping, provide tracking and insurance and so on.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Definitely shitty but not BB fault. Employees make mistakes all the time. Just for future reference make sure you get someone to read back your info whenever you sign up for something!
Yep. I really don't know what the poster wanted them to do since it's already shipped. I wouldn't even trust them reading it to me, have them turn the screen and read it yourself.

Wasp14

Yep. I really don't know what the poster wanted them to do since it's already shipped. I wouldn't even trust them reading it to me, have them turn the screen and read it yourself.

Yeah, I've cooled down since and been able to rationally look at the situation. Obviously once the item shipped it was no longer in their hands. Hopefully my neighbour comes by and drops it off, which is nice of them. I think it was just a combination of things that irritated me but from now on I'll check the screen myself.

Can anyone confirm they were able to call Walmart and cancel an order after the 30 minute cancel window? Just got off the phone with a CSR refusing to and claiming they are incapable of doing so after 30 minutes. Thought I read here folks were able to but want to double check before calling again.

I called several days after making the order, and they cancelled it without any hassle.

Lizardus

Huh, my copy of Cave Story+ came with the instruction booklet and a mini GameCube style soundtrack CD. I thought it'd just be a cart.

Time to bust out the GameCube.

Huh, my copy of Cave Story+ came with the instruction booklet and a mini GameCube style soundtrack CD. I thought it'd just be a cart.

Time to bust out the GameCube.

NICALIS put goodies in their Binding of Issac Switch release too. Hoping they put out some more physical Switch games since they go above and beyond with their physical releases.

joedick

NICALIS put goodies in their Binding of Issac Switch release too. Hoping they put out some more physical Switch games since they go above and beyond with their physical releases.

I think a number of indie games are doing this to compensate for the higher price they are charging for switch carts.

SickBoy

Regarding the Sea of Thieves pricing, the longer it takes, the more I wonder whether it will even be released as a boxed game at all. It's notable that the game had previously been listed as a preorder on the Microsoft Store's website but no longer appears to be there on either the U.S. or Canadian version. (Notable in the sense that you can read that as plans for the game changing, or just one of those things, so not notable at all ;)

UberTag

This whole Switch $99 thing is so weird, I've never seen games do this. Why bump up to a placeholder price, unless you plan on charging more?

They might not end up being $99, but I have an uneasy suspicion they end up being like $84.99 or something.
Well, you can look at it this way. Either Nintendo really hates pre-orders and is actively trying to discourage them by charging an inflated price... OR they're charging an inflated price for their games contrasted with PS4 / Xbox One titles simply because they believe they can, that their games are undervalued and that people will pay a premium for them simply because they're Nintendo products.

Incidentally, I think Nintendo probably could... and should... charge $99 for a game like Super Mario Odyssey and would get away with it just fine. Ditto when it comes to a $59 price tag for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

However, their approach to charge a premium for every game in their roster... 3DS included... is going to bite them in the ass ESPECIALLY when consumers aren't dumb and fully understand value propositions.

CazTGG

Incidentally, I think Nintendo probably could... and should... charge $99 for a game like Super Mario Odyssey and would get away with it just fine . Ditto when it comes to a $59 price tag for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Weren't you objecting to pre-ordering any Nintendo games during E3 out of principle, particularly because you didn't want them to get away with this?

I've been subscribing to this philosophy for a number of years now and have no regrets about it.

I'm vehemently refusing to pre-order any of the $99 Canadian titles on Amazon out of principle.
I don't even want to entertain the delusion to NoC that said price point is acceptable.
Even missing out on potential one-off price fluctuations isn't worth sending that message.

Who benefits from this aside from Nintendo (arguably, in the short term)?

Jashobeam

nope, should have done what I did and remove that free amiibo from the cart lol

CazTGG

Gotta love that 36% Prime discount.
8HQvlZb.png

Just noticed the spelling error in Amazon's description.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gotta love that 36% Prime discount.
Just noticed the spelling error in Amazon's description.
Hrm, does that work with the newer 99.99 Nintendo games like Metroid 4? Or maybe the system remembers that the game used to be listed at 80 and the Prime discount is based on that.

CazTGG

Hrm, does that work with the newer 99.99 Nintendo games like Metroid 4? Or maybe the system remembers that the game used to be listed at 80 and the Prime discount is based on that.

Seems to be a YMMV sort of affair: X2 shows 63.99 pre-tax at checkout but Kirby and Prime 4 still shows $79.99 so if you didn't pre-order them at $80...it seems unlikely until it drops.

Maybe we'll see another Xenoblade price error?

canonj

I don't have a Switch yet, but since the Switch is region free, there's nothing stopping us from using a different region's eShop, right? So even if $99 is the new official price for games in Canada, couldn't we just download games at a more reasonable price from the US eShop? (In which case, $59US = $79CAD)

I don't have a Switch yet, but since the Switch is region free, there's nothing stopping us from using a different region's eShop, right? So even if $99 is the new official price for games in Canada, couldn't we just download games at a more reasonable price from the US eShop? (In which case, $59US = $79CAD)

Yeah, but you'd have to make an account for that region and then somehow acquire currency for that store. So it's doable but not "simple" at the same time.

Kyolux

MK8 "bundle" out for delivery. I may find out tonight if they don't just leave a note.

Anyone else has theirs out for delivery?

killroy87

MK8 "bundle" out for delivery. I may find out tonight if they don't just leave a note.

Anyone else has theirs out for delivery?

Man, I hope you get it haha. That would be incredible.

In other Best Buy news, none of my double stacked E3 deals have been cancelled yet, and I have Ever Oasis coming to me on Friday. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom