• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 5 design revealed

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Why is that? Especially with dual cameras, the componentry takes up a lot of space that other connections have to wrap around or move through. Best to have it at a corner of the phone.

I vigorously hate it when the seeker image doesnt align with the display. it drives me crazy.
had this once with a Sony Smartphone and i hated the entire phone just because of this.

I've always considered €300-400 to be the best price point for a phone, where you get very good capable hardware and are not overpaying for it. There may be more Chinese competitors coming to fill that price point.

€499 is just a no-deal. I'm happy with my OP3 still, but if software updates end here I'll have to put LineageOS (former cyanogenmod) on it. The hardware is still more powerful than most phones out there, so app developers won't be pushing it any time soon.

Davide

Thinking of getting one, I actually like that they copied the iPhone 7 design. I've got a OnePlus X at the moment which is only a year and a half old but the screen is slightly cracked, it doesn't run Nougat, it doesn't have Android Pay, and I haven't updated it in over a year because I have a 4K camera root. The dual camera is nice.

Or maybe I should wait for them to copy the iPhone 8. Still a big difference in cost from the iPhone, $650 CAD while the iPhone 7 Plus starts at $1049.

Steiner84

im a bit dissapointed by the display. fullHD doesnt feel flagship tbh.

if one wants one you can enter the code "Clearer Photos".

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm a happy OnePlus One owner. I will most likely wait few more years until something good appears in the ~300€ range.

Hedrush

Very disappointing device and very overpriced in the UK. I'll stick with my OP3 can't really see any reason to upgrade to the OP5. Very poor show from Oneplus.

Lucifon

if one wants one you can enter the code "Clearer Photos".

Switching between 1080 and QHD on my S7 makes little to no tangible difference whatsoever visually. In fact Samsung default to 1080 on the S7 and S8 now, with QHD mainly used for VR - clearly they realise the trade offs aren't worth it for the miniscule change in visual upgrade for most people's day to day use.

1080p OLED is the sweetspot for me at the moment from a performance and battery vs visual quality ratio. I'd rather the money from a QHD screen be spent elsewhere. LCD to OLED is a much bigger leap in difference and there's a reason Apple are finally meant to be moving over to OLED panels along with most other flagships these days.

It was either the OP5 or Pixel 2 for me but the Pixel pricing is just too much. I want that stock-style feel and performance with a good camera, OLED display and solid battery. OP5 ticks the boxes there for me, sure I'd like a better screen to body ratio, waterproofing and microsd support in an ideal world, but they're not dealbreakers for me personally.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't know how trustworthy XDA is, but here:

this is the same shit Samsung and others pulled in the early Android days. Absolutely gross, but even worse kind of stupid. The people who actually care about benchmarks are also the first likely to find out about the cheating, and also the most likely to be put off by it.

Their statement is also highly misleading, implying that the phone ramps up performance in important tasks like launching an app and such, even though testing proves, again, that this is not true. Everything they claim is working like "every day use" is in fact not..

DieH@rd

Banned
Well damn, touch digitizer on my 1+1 died today when I dropped the phone on concrete.

I'm still staying string, I ordered replacement screen&frame.

Davide

I'm usually a stickler for the highest quality in video but can you really tell the difference past 1080p on a phone screen?

Only negative I see with the OnePlus 5 is not having a full-face display like the iPhone 8 will. I'd love to get one but maybe next year I'll be hoping I waited.

Steiner84

I'm usually a stickler for the highest quality in video but can you really tell the difference past 1080p on a phone screen?

Only negative I see with the OnePlus 5 is not having a full-face display like the iPhone 8 will. I'd love to get one but maybe next year I'll be hoping I waited.

well i have the op2 which also has a FHD screen and tbf there are moments where i think this could be sharper..

anyhow, FHD isnt my biggest concern right now.
im about to get a new phone, only thing thats holding me up right now is: Does the OP5 wobble? it seems the camera is sticking out...
that would be a huge downside not beeing able to let the thing rest on the table and using it without the thing wobbling arround like pudding.

Hesemonni

Banned
FHD with better battery life > QHD

Then again, 250-300€ is my sweet spot and I haven't owned a "flagship" since Galaxy S2.

kharma45

On the topic of FHD vs QHD, the 1080p screen they're getting, whilst it has impressive contrast, isn't at the bleeding edge of screen tech like what Samsung is putting into their S8. Each year their screens are drawing less power, you're not going to be getting that with OnePlus' middling screen that they cheap out on

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9394/analysing-amoled-power-efficiency

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm#Display_Power

There's more than enough power in the latest SoCs to push a 1440p screen without breaking much of a sweat. I'd be surprised if there was much of a power saving if any at all.

Just got my OnePlus 5 in today and I love it so far. The 835 is so damn snappy and the camera is fantastic. I hardly notice the jelly scroll effect.

well i have the op2 which also has a FHD screen and tbf there are moments where i think this could be sharper..

anyhow, FHD isnt my biggest concern right now.
im about to get a new phone, only thing thats holding me up right now is: Does the OP5 wobble? it seems the camera is sticking out...
that would be a huge downside not beeing able to let the thing rest on the table and using it without the thing wobbling arround like pudding.

Put it in a case...

Top Bottom