• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Lulu23

BF4 runs better.

Also, in a kinda related note, Ive noticed that BF3 has better graphics than BF4 for most of its maps. More detail, better textures and colors and special effects, etc.

I also think the whole atmosphere and art are way more cohesive in BF3.
BF4's map design (visually in this case) feels sort of dull most of the time.

Also, now that every map-pack has been free multiple times (once even all five at the same time) I figured I'd find some DLC servers, but no.
DICE/EA still can't be arsed to run some servers cycling through all maps or give us a "Premium Quick Match" option, so all that is being played is Vanilla.

Doesn't matter, I can't play BF4 anymore anyways after being abled to set my own FOV in the BF1 beta. :D

Surfinn

Um, should I be getting higher frames on Caspian Border at max settings in BF4 than in BF3? It's not hugely different performance, but I swear BF4 runs better. WTF? BF3 is the older game, I thought there'd be a noticeable boost in FPS.

It's very clear to me (I just installed the remake DLC for the first time, I think it's called second strike) that almost every single map, especially Caspian and Firestorm, are significantly gimped from a graphical standpoint. Not only do they look worse but their coloring/atmosphere is so.. SO much worse. They're still great maps and I love to play them but they were infinitely more enjoyable in BF3 because of their superior fidelity.

Particularly the bushes/trees/vegetation looks way worse. That's probably why BF3 runs poor in comparison to 4.

Can someone tell me how big the install for Battlefield 4 is on PS4? I'm trying to figure out if the digital release of the game takes more storage than the installation of the disc release. The game is 20$ at my local shop and I'm thinking of buying it because I like having my games on disc.

Can someone tell me how big the install for Battlefield 4 is on PS4? I'm trying to figure out if the digital release of the game takes more storage than the installation of the disc release. The game is 20$ at my local shop and I'm thinking of buying it because I like having my games on disc.

I believe most games just install the entirety of the game much as it would when you download the digital version. The only real perk to having a disc copy is you can use it on multiple PS4's. I don't think it actively loads information from the disc while playing, so the installation size for both should be about the same.

I believe most games just install the entirety of the game much as it would when you download the digital version. The only real perk to having a disc copy is you can use it on multiple PS4's. I don't think it actively loads information from the disc while playing, so the installation size for both should be about the same.

Alright, thanks!

Surfinn

So looking forward to no mortar vehicles, lock ons, and other cheap advanced weaponry in BF1. Been playing a lot of BF4 lately, and it is awesome, but there is so much lock on/indirect attack abuse that can totally destroy the game when an entire team is using it. Open maps are impossible to play when you're in a ground vehicle; I spawned in a tank yesterday and like 9 prone infantry (across the map) with locking missiles almost instantly destroyed me. It's a joke.

Oct. 21 can't come soon enough.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Digital and disc is the exact same, discs are just a delivery method these days. That said, PS4 treats disc installs and digital installs separately (so one can't be used as the other) but all told BF4 with all the patches and DLC is 75 something GB if I recall correctly.

So looking forward to no mortar vehicles, lock ons, and other cheap advanced weaponry in BF1. Been playing a lot of BF4 lately, and it is awesome, but there is so much lock on/indirect attack abuse that can totally destroy the game when an entire team is using it. Open maps are impossible to play when you're in a ground vehicle; I spawned in a tank yesterday and like 9 prone infantry (across the map) with locking missiles almost instantly destroyed me. It's a joke.

Oct. 21 can't come soon enough.

Seriously. MBT Laws curving over hills to kill you. I hate when I'm low on health and I'm making myself deliberately hard to hit to the point where most engineers wouldn't bother to take the shot, but the MBT Law comes along and almost always goes through my active protection.

Every tank that engages you is locking onto you.
Don't sit still to capture a flag because you might get cruise missiled, or Bombed.
And then jets come from the sky where you can't see them and just ruin everything.
Constant targeting and shooting leaving you with little options in a tank or attack boat.
The Scout Choppers lock onto you.

Everything locks onto you. So many times do you just find yourself scrambling all around the map because multiple people are firing lock ons at you.

It gets tiresome. Ground vehicles are powerful in the right hands. But on certain maps I always find myself screaming, "Who the fuck keeps targeting me!"

I much appreciate being killed by an RPG, Tow Missile, AP/HE Shell, or even C4 over the MBT Law, Javelin, Staff Shell, and other lock ons.

I've had this game for more than a year but I just never got around to playing it all that much. With BF1 coming out I've been playing it a lot and really; I really enjoy BF4. I'm gonna miss it and am glad I got some mileage out of it.

Paracel Storm is a wonderful map. When the storm activities is one of the most moody and atmospheric maps I've ever experienced. When you're swimming towards the shore against the rain and tall waves. Wow!

TCRS

Banned
are you guys excited for BF1? I wasn't very impressed by the beta. Looks like they took complexity out of it and just made it a dumb fun shooter.

looks like bad company 2 times are upon us. a shitty BF but nothing better around..

ThisOne

I enjoyed the beta a lot. Excited to see the new maps, weapons, vehicles, and attachments and stuff that wasn't present in the beta.

For what it's worth too, I think BF4 is one of the greatest multiplayer shooters ever. Probably my favorite of all time next to Warhawk (PS3). Great vehicles, some really good maps (Dragon Valley being my favorite lately), and tons of team strategy that just puts the game way above the CODs of the world.

Surfinn

Seriously. MBT Laws curving over hills to kill you. I hate when I'm low on health and I'm making myself deliberately hard to hit to the point where most engineers wouldn't bother to take the shot, but the MBT Law comes along and almost always goes through my active protection.

Every tank that engages you is locking onto you.
Don't sit still to capture a flag because you might get cruise missiled, or Bombed.
And then jets come from the sky where you can't see them and just ruin everything.
Constant targeting and shooting leaving you with little options in a tank or attack boat.
The Scout Choppers lock onto you.

Everything locks onto you. So many times do you just find yourself scrambling all around the map because multiple people are firing lock ons at you.

It gets tiresome. Ground vehicles are powerful in the right hands. But on certain maps I always find myself screaming, "Who the fuck keeps targeting me!"

I much appreciate being killed by an RPG, Tow Missile, AP/HE Shell, or even C4 over the MBT Law, Javelin, Staff Shell, and other lock ons.
It's difficult. I'm usually top 3 in 64 player servers but it highly depends on support. Tanks have been reduced to jeeps that fire tank shells. You basically have to wait your turn to move in if you wanna be successful.

WillyFive

are you guys excited for BF1? I wasn't very impressed by the beta. Looks like they took complexity out of it and just made it a dumb fun shooter.

looks like bad company 2 times are upon us. a shitty BF but nothing better around..

The beta was great, they fixed air combat, made vehicles worthwhile again, and teamwork is more required to capture flags.

Not sure what lack of complexity you are referring to, only thing I saw that was simplified was the Conquest game rules.

Surfinn

The beta was great, they fixed air combat, made vehicles worthwhile again, and teamwork is more required to capture flags.

Not sure what lack of complexity you are referring to, only thing I saw that was simplified was the Conquest game rules.
Same, haven't been more excited for a BF game.

Limit

Got origin access in order for 10% discount on bf1 and I have been enjoying bf4 a fair bit. People who are good with choppers, especially little bird, are nigh indestructible. Wish any capture the flag games were going around. Nothing on pc every time i have tried. Also tried bf hardline and what the heck is that game? Plays like a poor bf clone.

WillyFive

Got origin access in order for 10% discount on bf1 and I have been enjoying bf4 a fair bit. People who are good with choppers, especially little bird, are nigh indestructible. Wish any capture the flag games were going around. Nothing on pc every time i have tried. Also tried bf hardline and what the heck is that game? Plays like a poor bf clone.

Spend 100s of hours in a chopper and you will wreck anything, but the problem was you needed those 100s of hours in order to do anything at all, and even then you need a squad with you to constantly repair your craft in mid-air because of the game's constant lock-on and AA barrage that shoots down the majority of people in a few seconds.

Ad for Hardline, it was EA's not-so-subtle attempt to annualize the series by making a quick cash-in game, but luckily consumers revolted and denied it. There was some good work done in Hardline, but it's BF4 DLC level work, not $60 game work.

I never played Bad Company 2, but I disliked how Bad Company ran on consoles.

Battlefield 2 and Desert Combat Mod is the crowning achievement for me. It was the spell binding moments that combined the sensation of being in a massive war with the hilarious goofy deaths and mayham that only battlefield can provide.

To me, the squad system where you can spawn on each other, and a small squad can go behind enemy lines is a genius concept. The penalty for dying in battlefield is that big maps have you running back. it makes death more impactful than Call of Duty were the near instant respawns is inducing a sense of repetition and passivism towards death because the consequences are a few seconds in small maps.
But BF also doesn't punish you as hard as Counterstrike or Rainbow Six, which forces you to play conservatively.

BF is just the right kind of death penalty in that death sucks, but not so much you won't take a chance on doing something really stupid- like riding a dune buggy into a tank loaded with c4.
And those moments when you spawn on squad leader, squad leader dies and you're alone deep behind enemy lines and suddenly 3 of your squad mates spawn on you, and you take the flag which gives everyone in the team that crucial spawn. And just like that you feel as a individual you've tipped the match. you'e tipped the match even though you don't have a good k:d. you might not be a good shooter but you can still have fun being a good medic, being good at stalling/stopping their progress, good at sabotaging vehicles, good at ad-honking poorly defended flags as they go for others. good at keeping vehicles alive.

I feel BF is great for the type of person who is not interested in the competitive nature but just want to simulate big war battles and run around with a lot of action going on.

What better feeling than when you're gunner on a chopper and you get hit and you're just going down with the ship as it's on fire. you don't even want to jump out because its such a glorious moment of beautiful explosions and chaos. you stay in to pay respect as the chopper decends into the building killing 2 douchey snipers on the roof. that's happiness right there. thats digital love making.

tKYI9IK.png
indeed

Vic_Viper

How is the B4 MP population these days? Reinstalling it ATM and was wondering if it'll be hard to find a match nowadays.

Did they ever get rid of the battle log browser?

Surfinn

How is the B4 MP population these days? Reinstalling it ATM and was wondering if it'll be hard to find a match nowadays.

Did they ever get rid of the battle log browser?

I was playing it up until release of BF1 and it was pretty well populated for the months leading into the current release. You still have to launch from browser though and my god it's awful.

Vic_Viper

I was playing it up until release of BF1 and it was pretty well populated for the months leading into the current release. You still have to launch from browser though and my god it's awful.

Damn I sweat they said they were removing the battlelog browser lol. Love BF1 and Titanfall 2, but I really want to play a good modern day shooter. I don't think I've played any of the other map packs aside from maybe the first one too which will be nice if ppl play them. Payed 50$ for a season pass I never used lol.

WillyFive

Speaking off, when is the in-game browser going to launch on PC? BF1 has it (and has a non-functioning link to BF4 in it), and the console versions of BF4 have had it for months. What's the deal?

Speaking off, when is the in-game browser going to launch on PC? BF1 has it (and has a non-functioning link to BF4 in it), and the console versions of BF4 have had it for months. What's the deal?

Exactly what I was thinking about. It was supposed to show up at the end of summer.

Lulu23

On console the BF4 link doesn't work either, even though I have it digitally. :(

MaKTaiL

There are no more official servers for this right? It sucks. All the server's here in South America are 24/7 Lockers. I wanna play on normal maps again :(

MaKTaiL

There are no more Chainlink servers anymore either. How am I supposed to get the trophy related to it? EA should allow P2P servers when there are none available for the selected mode.

This game still ass, friend got me to reinstall, 20mins into the game I get BSOD, last time i got BSOD was playing the pile of shit 2 years ago..

This game still ass, friend got me to reinstall, 20mins into the game I get BSOD, last time i got BSOD was playing the pile of shit 2 years ago..

I played yesterday for the first time in ages and it was fine.

I used to get connection errors and would have to reboot the game, all seems fixed now though.

Everyone left playing seems insanely good. I seem to be getting sniped with short/medium range weapons.

Are those guys using m/k I wonder?

terrible

Banned
I played yesterday for the first time in ages and it was fine.

I used to get connection errors and would have to reboot the game, all seems fixed now though.

Everyone left playing seems insanely good. I seem to be getting sniped with short/medium range weapons.

Older games in a series tend to have maybe a higher concentration of "hardcore" players. That's probably what you're experiencing. Instead of low level players being noobs they're typically new accounts from vets now too in BF4 I've noticed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

He's playing PC...

Holy exaggerations, Batman. I haven't had issues with BF4 PC since launch 3 months. If the game is BSOD'ing on you, there's something on your end that is causing it to do that.

terrible

Banned
I wish I got a pro now. That's a pretty big advantage and unlike on PC you can't just lower your settings on the old PS4 to bring it up to par performance-wise.

I wish I got a pro now. That's a pretty big advantage and unlike on PC you can't just lower your settings on the old PS4 to bring it up to par performance-wise.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. Almost no chugging even when the tower falls on Shanghai or on Lancang Dam at all. Makes the game playable again.

Ozorov

And it's still plenty populated too, almost as many average daily players as SWBF.

I just wish there were more DLC servers.

Yup! I switch from this to Battlefront nowdays, will probably jump back into Battlefield 1 with the DLC.

Yeah I mainly play the DLC-"lists" now and while I may always not find a conquest server for the DLC-pack I want I always find something at least. Today I played on the community operations for the first time, really enjoyed it.

At least in this you can see if there's any server that have the requirements you want, apart from Battlefront ;).

Top Bottom