• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes: Share Your Favorite Strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Thanks Botolf and Spaceman Spiff! I was picturing the one that Spiff psted but I think my brain combined that with the text from the one Botolf posted. Both unbelievably awesome.

Utter perfection. I absolutely love the spot on, over the top comic book feel to that. "I could feel my spine shatter. It hurt. A lot."

Foolish Amazon! I'm only toying with you!
Hah, I think it's the same for me. I guess gruesome superhero deaths are a running motif in C&H :lol

The_Technomancer said:
Watterson is such an iconic mystery figure. On the one hand, when you read his writings about the strip you discover how much he did for the industry, like his long-fought battle over Sunday sizes that allowed things like the above to be printed.
On the other hand, he really is a complete recluse. Comic writing truly was his passion, but even other cartoonists don't hear a peep out of him. I don't think he's even a member of the NCS, which is just about unheard of.

I think the mystery surrounding Watterson as a person adds some interesting layers to him as a person -- as mystery always does. He does an interview once, like, every ten years. I don't think I've read about anybody who's ever actually met him, in person. I remember reading about this one guy who tried to track him down for an interview, but utterly failed. He did, however, manage to meet Watterson's mother and interviewed her. Very interesting, you should be able to find it if you do a Google search.

It really makes you wonder what he's doing in life these days.

bengraven

Platy said:
Calvin thread without mentioning the infamous Fight Club Theory ????

Also, anyone have that one where calvin sells a hug or gives a hug as a present for something ?
I made a reference for that with some friends and nobody got it =(

Also, for some bizarre reason, Hobbes is named "Haroldo" here in brazil o_O

Out of boredom I searched for it on the Cult to find out what Chuck Palahniuk himself thought about it. Or if he would reveal the secret, or whatever.

Turns out he just kind of laughed and said "people can find something in everything". Which is basically saying "it's funny that people think this is true".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Platy said:
Calvin thread without mentioning the infamous Fight Club Theory ????

Also, anyone have that one where calvin sells a hug or gives a hug as a present for something ?
I made a reference for that with some friends and nobody got it =(

Also, for some bizarre reason, Hobbes is named "Haroldo" here in brazil o_O

Mentioned a few pages back.

It's a fun read (love to link to it).

The more realistic mystery was when people though that Jef Mallett was a ghost name for Watterson because of the similar tone and artstyle to Calvin and Hobbes that the comic Frazz has. People thought it was a sequel.

48487.full.gif

Frazz is one of my favorite current comics and I actually like to think of it as the Calvin and Hobbes sequel.

All right, here's a question for everyone. What's your favorite use for Calvin's cardboard box: duplicator, transmogrifier, or time machine? I've got to admit, having a transmogrifier would be awesome, but the duplicator story arcs were my favorite. Especially the one where Calvin makes the "good" duplicate of himself.

undrtakr900

2wftjjd.jpg

I've always wanted to do this lol

SenseiJinx said:
All right, here's a question for everyone. What's your favorite use for Calvin's cardboard box: duplicator, transmogrifier, or time machine? I've got to admit, having a transmogrifier would be awesome, but the duplicator story arcs were my favorite. Especially the one where Calvin makes the "good" duplicate of himself.
Someone please post that story-arc, I remember that one but can't find it :mad:

SenseiJinx said:

transmogrifier.JPG

Hilarious lol

I think one of the best things about Calvin and Hobbes is the facial expressions. For instance in the third panel of that strip, I just love the bemused look they're giving each other. Not to mention the fact that tiny tiger-Calvin is absolutely hilarious.

Remember the one where Calvin makes the transmogrifier gun, and he and Hobbes get in a huge fight? Calvin ends up getting stuck in an owl form. For some reason I find the part where Calvin's mom gets him up for school and he says "I can't go to school mom, I'm an owl" very funny. I laugh so hard every time I read that.

ChackanKun said:
transmogrifier.JPG

Hilarious lol
He's talking about the arc where Calvin makes a good version of himself to do his homework. But the good Calvin goes around doing nice things for people, which makes people think well of Calvin, and he can't have that. Hilarity ensues.

undrtakr900

faceless007 said:
He's talking about the arc where Calvin makes a good version of himself to do his homework. But the good Calvin goes around doing nice things for people, which makes people think well of Calvin, and he can't have that. Hilarity ensues.
Yes!! That's the one, can you post the story arc, I can't find it, its driving me crazy looking, even google has failed me lol

John Dunbar

correct about everything
undrtakr900 said:
Yes!! That's the one, can you post the story arc, I can't find it, its driving me crazy looking, even google has failed me lol

I'm too lazy to post them all, but the arc starts on March 18th, 1991. You can find them in the link in the OP.

John Dunbar said:
I'm too lazy to post them all, but the arc starts on March 18th, 1991. You can find them in the link in the OP.
Huh, that's kinda close to my birthday. Let's see if they have the one that was actually from my birthday... and they do! This was it:
19910305.gif

My Dad always kinda reminded me of Calvin's Dad... I can't ever remember him making me wish I was adopted though.

This thread is excellent. I was kind of into C&H as a kid but reading through all the strips in this thread has definitely convinced me to buy the collection. It's uncanny how it captures the essence of both childhood and the bigger questions in life. Absolutely brilliant

Yep. I don't know how many times I read these growing up, and rereading them now somehow makes me laugh just as hard -- if not harder -- than when I was eight years old.

I want to buy the full collection, but the binding is shit. Anyone know if they're ever going to rerelease it with a real binding, not just glued together garbage?

Boogie

I like how Watterson was always able to accurately depict the fighter planes he described in the comic. Ya, that's an odd thing to note, but still.

undrtakr900

This is one of my favorite "Cavin's Dad is a troll" series because...

19861126.gif

...I actually thought this is what they did when I was younger :lol

Zebra

When I was a kid I always assumed Calvin's father was making stuff up to tease him, just to have a laugh, but being older I now interpret it as a father who is afraid of not living up to the god-like image that a child holds to their parents. He doesn't want Calvin to realise that his father is imperfect by confessing ignorance on a subject.

Or I'm just reading too much into it, but it's great to go back over something you enjoyed as a kid and be able to pull things from it that you didn't see previously.

GhaleonEB

I can't find it on the site, but the story arc where Calvin forgets Hobbes at home when his parents take him to go to a wedding is one of my favorites. It hits so many different themes, and then does this hard right turn at the robbery when they get back, and how Calvin's panic over Hobbes dovetails with that of his parents. The scenes with Calvin's father up late at night in bed thinking through his fears really struck a chord with me, especially now that I'm older and can now more fully relate to it. The entire arc hits so many emotional notes, it's a dizzying balancing act.

That's one of the things I liked about how the adults in the series were portrayed. They were all given these little moments without Calvin around terrorizing or mystifying them. Even his teacher Miss Wormwood has some great character beats when he's out of frame, thinking about the days until retirement and such. It really fleshed out the character of the world Calvin inhabits.

There's one I vaguely remember, anyone know when it is? All I remember is the punchline, C&H are walking together and Calvin is ranting, Hobbes says something about people who are too negative and Calvin says "Boy, that's another thing that ticks me off!"

I feel like there are some circumstances it would be useful to use that as a reply to some people.

undrtakr900

GhaleonEB said:
I can't find it on the site, but the story arc where Calvin forgets Hobbes at home when his parents take him to go to a wedding is one of my favorites. It hits so many different themes, and then does this hard right turn at the robbery when they get back, and how Calvin's panic over Hobbes dovetails with that of his parents. The scenes with Calvin's father up late at night in bed thinking through his fears really struck a chord with me, especially now that I'm older and can now more fully relate to it. The entire arc hits so many emotional notes, it's a dizzying balancing act.

That's one of the things I liked about how the adults in the series were portrayed. They were all given these little moments without Calvin around terrorizing or mystifying them. Even his teacher Miss Wormwood has some great character beats when he's out of frame, thinking about the days until retirement and such. It really fleshed out the character of the world Calvin inhabits.
Found it =) [April 24, 1989]
19890424.gif

19890425.gif

faceless007 said:
There's one I vaguely remember, anyone know when it is? All I remember is the punchline, C&H are walking together and Calvin is ranting, Hobbes says something about people who are too negative and Calvin says "Boy, that's another thing that ticks me off!"

I feel like there are some circumstances it would be useful to use that as a reply to some people.
Found it =) [May 11, 1993]
19930511.gif

===========

I found your comics thanks to the (previously posted): Calvin and Hobbes sEarch eNgine

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
undrtakr900 said:
Thank you sir! :D Posting them all for epicness!
[Good Duplicate Calvin arc]

I always loved the idea that since this was all happening in Calvin's imagination, he was running around doing all this stuff as Good Calvin that he would never do normally, but Calvin just goes that extra mile when it comes to things he dreams up.

undrtakr900

MattKeil said:
I always loved the idea that since this was all happening in Calvin's imagination, he was running around doing all this stuff as Good Calvin that he would never do normally, but Calvin just goes that extra mile when it comes to things he dreams up.
That's what makes it so awesome, even Hobbes I think of as "real" until I see him in the same frame as his parents and get reminded that: oh yeah he's an inanimate stuffed animal. With an imagination like that I wonder what he's gonna be when he grows up..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
undrtakr900 said:
That's what makes it so awesome, even Hobbes I think of as "real" until I see him in the same frame as his parents and get reminded that: oh yeah he's an inanimate stuffed animal. With an imagination like that I wonder what he's gonna be when he grows up..

Probably got a job for an Automobile company, and met a friend who sells soap.

m3k

Spaceman Spiff said:
Calvin's drawings always crack me up:

66UpN.gif

"HOLES FROM SHELLS" :lol

i had this on the cover of one of my year 6 books ... i dont know what my teacher thought but i loved it lol

edit: thanks for posting i think this was the first calvin and hobbes strip that made me love it forever

.JayZii

Banned
My parents bought me every Calvin and Hobbes collection book when I was little and I grew up reading them all the time. Thanks for this thread, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom