• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

What HR are you? Once you pass Hr7 and get into G, you can fight Akantor/Uklanos with the intent to sell all of his materials because they're garbage. Really good money farming.

If you're not that far, just use your caravan points to multiply Godbugs and sell those

G1, i've thought about it, but my brain defaults to finding a sacred fire akantor group. Those never go well.

Would anybody be willing to kill a few rathians with me later tonight? Or maybe do the two quests I need to get to G2?

Edit:
About 10

I've been 'speed running' the game up to now so it was a really nice drop for me
10?! That's some good luck right there I'd say.

caesar

Banned
When is the next wall after the gore magala? Pretty much breezed through everything since im caravan rank 7 and hr 4. Or is the charge blade just that powerful?

I'm so terrible against rajang and every time I say I'm gonna go "practice" it goes bad fast xD

The trick is to convince yourself that no matter who he's aiming at (cats, you, other players), he's always aiming at you. Once I got that in my head, my Rajang game skyrocketed.

yami4ct

The trick is to convince yourself that no matter who he's aiming at (cats, you, other players), he's always aiming at you. Once I got that in my head, my Rajang game skyrocketed.

My problem is that he has so few openings to do anything. Need to heal? Better leave the area, because if not he'll instantly target you and hit you mid animation no matter how much distance you put between you. Also I find hard to get many openings to really damage him. Just doing chip damage over time. I can kill him, but it's an awful fight for me.

I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm getting launched into the next zone xP

Oh yeah, one other tip, and you've probably already noticed this. DO NOT APPROACH FROM BEHIND. Approach diagonally and behind. Otherwise you're just gonna eat the jump back move repeatedly.

In general I have a harder time with deviljo when apex than rajang. So few openings.

Jho is my jam. Has been since tri. Lance countering him, and now guard pointing him is my favorite thing to do in the entire game. I want to fight him all the time but other things keep getting in the way :(.

Oh, also i-framing through his breath to hit him in the jaw. Sogood.gif

Juraash

Made some good progress tonight. Spent a ton of time in expeditions trying to get a decent spread of g-rank guild quests. Picked up some costumes and some rare monster parts along the way.

Knocked out Brute Tigrex and Desert Seltas Queen, both of which were super fun. Brute could get a little hairy but I tool him out in under 20 with no carts iirc. All that's left for keys in G2 are Black Gravios and the other one I've bitched about, Brach/Stygy. B. Gravios would be easy if I had kept up a decent gunner set. As it stands I have high rank Stygian Zinogre armor and several bows that are garbage. The hermitaur bow would be good against him, but I'd have to farm crabs to bring it up.

So we'll see how those go. I'm actually more worried about those than I am about the urgent to get into G3. I tend to have Gore's number and have fought him a few times now in G-Rank expeditions so I kinda know what to expect.

Leezard

Me and Amethyst trying to clear harder JR quests together, currently on HR7.
26-5988-1227-1540
Anyone can join, especially if you want to done Wycoon double furious Rajang ques.
Are you still doing it? I will join in a couple of minutes if so.

Sooooo, finally starting to feel a groove with this game. I'm progressing pretty slowly. Still HR1 but I've started doing more Hall quests online to help work toward armor sets that seem cool. Doing those in between the "story"/caravan quests.

The multiplayer is a blast. Meeting up with random people, getting things done, even when shit hits the fan. Feels really rewarding.

Combat is getting better, but jarring. It's really satisfying though. I imagine it's just something I'll get better at over time. I've watched guides and things for the weapons, but they can only help so much.

Anyway, I know most of the people that probably post here are vets, so I apologize if any of this is uninteresting. :)

cheesekao

Anyone interested in helping me out with my g3 gogzdemagios urgent?

36-9196-1873-8833

Edit: No takers. Nevermind then.

Sooooo, finally starting to feel a groove with this game. I'm progressing pretty slowly. Still HR1 but I've started doing more Hall quests online to help work toward armor sets that seem cool. Doing those in between the "story"/caravan quests.

The multiplayer is a blast. Meeting up with random people, getting things done, even when shit hits the fan. Feels really rewarding.

Combat is getting better, but jarring. It's really satisfying though. I imagine it's just something I'll get better at over time. I've watched guides and things for the weapons, but they can only help so much.

Anyway, I know most of the people that probably post here are vets, so I apologize if any of this is uninteresting. :)

Definitely not uninteresting. Reading new player experiences as they learn the game is great. I hope you stick with the game and write more.

PKrockin

I think most of us actually really like reading new players' impressions. I do, anyway.

...all I do is lurk and post questions. Is that rude? lol

Anyway, the questions.

So I'm a Charge Blade main and I've watched Gaijin's videos which helped a lot but I just need some stuff clarifying.

I think that when I charge the shield my normal axe attacks become 20% stronger but I lose the elemental blast when doing a special (because that's now all in the shield). Is this right?

I'm wondering if charging the shield is really worth it for me because I don't use it much and I'm thinking that just unloading with normal specials might do more damage? It gets more complicated when I consider that I'm using a water element blade - I'm thinking that losing the water damage against a water weak monster would be a bad idea.

Finally, I've seen him mention guard point, and get the concept that there is a part in the sword swing animation that puts up the shield - great, all understood - however, why not just hold R when you want to shield? Why bother with the fancy timing of swinging it before you think an attack is going to come?

Thanks

Ken

Not a charge blade user but you can charge and hold two "sets" of phials at a time; build up the white stocks and overcharge into the red for a second. That'll let you use one charge for the damage and shield buff, use up the overcharge and go straight into charged Axe attacks.

I think it's more DPS over time to not ultra burst and use up the buff, at least not on a fresh buff but I'm not sure.

Guard point is advanced show-off stuff. You have no hit stun or recovery afaik compared to a regular guard and the window is really tight.

...all I do is lurk and post questions. Is that rude? lol

Anyway, the questions.

So I'm a Charge Blade main and I've watched Gaijin's videos which helped a lot but I just need some stuff clarifying.

I think that when I charge the shield my normal axe attacks become 20% stronger but I lose the elemental blast when doing a special (because that's now all in the shield). Is this right?

I'm wondering if charging the shield is really worth it for me because I don't use it much and I'm thinking that just unloading with normal specials might do more damage? It gets more complicated when I consider that I'm using a water element blade - I'm thinking that losing the water damage against a water weak monster would be a bad idea.

Finally, I've seen him mention guard point, and get the concept that there is a part in the sword swing animation that puts up the shield - great, all understood - however, why not just hold R when you want to shield? Why bother with the fancy timing of swinging it before you think an attack is going to come?

Thanks

1. You get the 20% damage boost and still have the elemental/impact burst. You don't lose anything with a charged shield.

2. a. Guard pointing with a charged shield (red or yellow) makes your shield explode with a phial (doesn't even need to be loaded as long as your shield is charged) when you guard, letting you deal damage and guard at the same time. It's also a further improved guard even beyond what charged shield gives you.

b. If you're actively attacking a monster and you see an attack coming but you're already mid-attack, guard pointing is your only option. Sure, you can guard if you're idle and see an attack coming, but if you were already winding up for an attack and see something coming, guard pointing is your only recourse.

c. The only reason you see Gaijin Hunter swing at air and then guard point an attack in his videos is because he's actively trying to practice it. In actual practice, you wouldn't swing at air and time the guard point unless you're not yet good at timing R+X to guard point. From idle, if you R+X, MAKING SURE THAT YOU WEREN'T ALREADY HOLDING R WHEN YOU DO IT, you can guard point without swinging. The timing window is a bit under a second but if you have good timing you'll find the window is more than enough time. Note that you shouldn't bother doing this unless you have a charged shield. Guard pointing with a non charged shield results in just a regular guard (like you were just holding R), and you should only do this as a means to block damage when you normally wouldn't be able to. With a charged shield, I guard point offensively instead.

3. It's not rude to just lurk and ask questions, but feel free to play with us, too.

Excellent, thanks both!

That's helpful. I thought that I'd noticed my elemental burst disappear when the shield was charged but I guess not. I'll start just charging it all of the time then, seems like there's not reason not to.

I've played with GAF a couple of times and I intend to again. Maybe even today. It's awesome. It's how I became high rank offline actually, I posted a room when off sick from work and blasted through my HR4s. I probably would join more GAF rooms but they are always way above where I'm at and so I have to post my lowly one.

I might post a room later as I need to farm Gravios for the last wing I need to make his set. I could also do with a couple of Malgala feelers to make another blade.

Excellent, thanks both!

That's helpful. I thought that I'd noticed my elemental burst disappear when the shield was charged but I guess not. I'll start just charging it all of the time then, seems like there's not reason not to.

I've played with GAF a couple of times and I intend to again. Maybe even today. It's awesome. It's how I became high rank offline actually, I posted a room when off sick from work and blasted through my HR4s. I probably would join more GAF rooms but they are always way above where I'm at and so I have to post my lowly one.

I might post a room later as I need to farm Gravios for the last wing I need to make his set. I could also do with a couple of Malgala feelers to make another blade.

When you charge your shield, your loaded phials go into your shield. You need to get your phials back by attacking in sword mode some more and reloading, and THEN go into axe mode. Then you'll have a charged shield for +20% axe damage and the bursts.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Zinogre stands as my most hunted monster; Rathalos on its tail since I love the USJ event hunt though.

AmethystEnd said:
When you charge your shield, your loaded phials go into your shield. You need to get your phials back by attacking in sword mode some more and reloading, and THEN go into axe mode. Then you'll have a charged shield for +20% axe damage and the bursts.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I totally get it now. Looking forward to getting chores out of the way and then wrecking stuff.

So...Gravios anyone? We can also do Magala and anything else you'd like but I'm only HR4.

42-7478-8941-0703

Zinogre stands as my most hunted monster; Rathalos on its tail since I love the USJ event hunt though.

Mine is Seltas :(. But that really shouldn't count. If I don't count Seltas, Seregios and Rathalos are tied for me. If I include caps, Seregios is probably ahead.

^Ok thanks for clearing that up, I totally get it now. Looking forward to getting chores out of the way and then wrecking stuff.

So...Gravios anyone? We can also do Magala and anything else you'd like but I'm only HR4.

42-7478-8941-0703

You know, I was gonna sleep, but I can do a few still.

Mine is Seltas :(. But that really shouldn't count. If I don't count Seltas, Seregios and Rathalos are tied for me. If I include caps, Seregios is probably ahead.

You know, I was gonna sleep, but I can do a few still.

Sorry, didn't password it and got a random so started without ya :)

Emalde

If anybody is dying to get some DLC bits early, I'm doing the episodic unlocks to get G-rank Gold Rathian @ 01-3014-5500-8751

Ristlager

I have made it up to g2 rank with a really fast put together armor with three torso inc parts. But now i feel that the defence of 330 is a bit too small. Anyone have recommendations on a good fairly easy to get great sword armor for g2 (and perhaps reusing some torso inc parts)? Focus and punish/critical draw and handcraft/earplugs would be preferred... My medallions are shite so i have started doing the rathalos subquest run, but not gotten anything worth something yet, but will continue doing them until i get a good one.

Shagaru Magala, I hate you.

One moment we wreck him, the moment after he wrecks us.
One mistake can lead to a devastating combo, nothing is never due with this one.

I can't finish its set and why? I have to beat its low-rank version! I find it pretty stupid.

Ken

When I play CB I usually overcharge so when I load phials into shield, I can immediately reload the overcharge into phials and go straight to axe swinging.

When I play CB I usually overcharge so when I load phials into shield, I can immediately reload the overcharge into phials and go straight to axe swinging.

Yep. I was just explaining why it seemed like his bursts "disappeared" when he charged his shield. I do the same as you. It's like a little dance. Red gauge+full phials, and I X+A->X+A->X+A->R->R+A

Top Bottom