• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Will buy when it releases on Steam.

I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy this on PS4 but if I do I KNOW I will double-dip when the PC version finally releases, so I'm going to be strong and leave the PS4 version on the table. Do we know if the timed exclusivity is due to a Sony deal or is the PC version not done yet?

I'm tempted to just go ahead and buy this on PS4 but if I do I KNOW I will double-dip when the PC version finally releases, so I'm going to be strong and leave the PS4 version on the table. Do we know if the timed exclusivity is due to a Sony deal or is the PC version not done yet?

We know nothing about the PC version aside from June. It's a fair assumption that - since Axiom Verge was funded by Sony in the late development cycle - that it's exclusivity.

We know nothing about the Vita version aside from 2015.

FStop7

Banned
I can't find this game on the PSN store, at least not the web store. What gives?

OK, I found the link in the OP but it's not available to buy. Today is the release date, isn't it?

This shit is dumb, honestly. Stop applying brick and mortar logic to digital releases.

Sir TapTap

Could we refrain from the price discussion? There was already a thread about it, and another one. The latter one has an interesting blog post from Dan Adelman but the price discussion is super old hat. Let's talk about the game, not what price it is, what the reviews said or what platforms it (isn't) on. There's threads for all of that other stuff.

There are secret areas hidden off the map (secret worlds) that you can get into which have a random layout and are in different locations with each playthrough. Speedrun Mode has the same layout for secret areas just to keep it consistent for speed running.

In the secret worlds you'll often find 1-2 power ups. Not sure how random the specific power ups are.

Not really a huge spoiler, but might be something people want to discover on their own.

Regarding the contents of those areas
I'm pretty sure it's fixed, just the location (to an extent) and the appearance/layout are random
. Regarding the reason I think that (specific unlock spoiler)
there's a weapon in one of them

I guess I'm getting a PS4, fuck.

Worth it IMO, not just for this game, lots of fun stuff. I've got a stack of games piling up while I play this and Estival Versus instead. Took me a while to break away from Binding of Isaac too.

seriously? i wanted to have it downloaded for tomorrow morning. how hard for them is it to put something up for sale?

Indie games rarely have preorders. No idea why, PSN is really picky about their preorder/preload stuff.

Oh, woops. There's a review thread. Don't mind me, just felt like chiming in about how much hard mode frustrated me.

Well, it is HARD mode. If anyone else is struggling with hardmode especially late game, (boss/item spoilers)
use Shards or Vornaj on the big Wasp boss and Data Bomb on the final boss. Use your glitch bombs on the first form of the final boss,that's the worst wave so end it fast. Also you're going to want to collect everything possible for hard mode.

Downloading today, but I won't be able to get to it until I finish Bloodborne, which could take a while haha. I've been hyped for this for a LONG time though and can't wait to finally play it.

Venfayth

I can't find this game on the PSN store, at least not the web store. What gives?

OK, I found the link in the OP but it's not available to buy. Today is the release date, isn't it?

This shit is dumb, honestly. Stop applying brick and mortar logic to digital releases.

Isn't this more the fault of PSN being weird about updating?

I honestly don't know.

well i guess i need to get this on pc for the time being. Still from the looks of it, graphically it looks lesser than sotn and super metroid.....

I'll probably check this out in a few months or something, after I do Bloodborne and a few other games. Looks really awesome, but after just playing Ori and the Blind Forest, I feel the need to space out my Metroidvanias a little bit...

Though I still don't know how I'd never heard of the game until the other day.

Peltz

By the way, how long has this been in development? I remember reading about this project what feels like t many many years ago. I'm glad to see that it's finally releasing.

kevin1025

Banned

That's the downside, brick and mortar has opening times. The release of Axiom Verge and the store updating could be at any time. It could be at noon EST, or 3:42pm, or whenever. There should be a unified post time for store updates, but I guess not. But it's going to be today, at least, which is good!

Sir TapTap

About 5 years.

Dev time isn't very meaningful though. He was working on it as a side project along with a full time job for years, then after getting Pub Fund money he quit his job and worked on it full time, greatly accelerating the release.

so pc version still "supposed to be there sooner or later" or ditched for good?

If it's in the OT header, it's going to be released there. There's no need to be worried about the PC version, until the PS4 version went gold most of press was playing on a PC preview.

18-Volt

Hopefully they won't make us Vita owners wait much longer.

Also I will double dip if this makes it to 3DS. Game smells Nintendo, you know.

ChuckNyce

Is the lack of a fixed time for digital releases a PSN thing or is Xbox Live the same way?

It's a PSN thing, also commonly referred to as Grace Chen Time (GCT). It used to be waaaay worse though, some games used to just barely make it on the day they were supposed to release (Gravity Rush went up around 11:58PM EST on the Tuesday of it's release if I recall). Now they're usually up around 3-4PM EST.

XBLA games from my experience typically go up around the same time consistently (Wednesday early AM typically).

It's a PSN thing, also commonly referred to as Grace Chen Time (GCT). It used to be waaaay worse though, some games used to just barely make it on the day they were supposed to release (Gravity Rush went up around 11:58PM EST on the Tuesday of it's release if I recall). Now they're usually up around 3-4PM EST.

XBLA games from my experience typically go up around the same time consistently (Wednesday early AM typically).

So it is as I suspected. PSN does everything worse, despite the PS4 being a great console overall.

JPS Kai

Well, it is HARD mode. If anyone else is struggling with hardmode especially late game, (boss/item spoilers)
use Shards or Vornaj on the big Wasp boss and Data Bomb on the final boss. Use your glitch bombs on the first form of the final boss,that's the worst wave so end it fast. Also you're going to want to collect everything possible for hard mode.

Oh, I didn't think to use that on the first one.
I ended up using the piercing lightning rifle on the wasp boss then the short-range shotgun blast for the little minions it sent out. I'll have to retry that for the final boss though. I keep getting ganged up on by those three sentries and can't kite them properly. :(

Hotline Miami 2 did not go up on release date on EU PSN. It fucking sucks.

Ricker

So whats the logic behind waiting on a pc release of a game that isn't going to look any better

More people will buy it if they dont have a console...? lol ;)

Don't know about this one...it looked like an overdose of old style pixels on my 55 inch HDTV from the trailers...and also waiting on difficulty(and options) and lenght before I take the plunge...

I will be buying this due to the developers forthrightness about not discounting it anymore in the next six months. It's a good policy to let early adopters know. Can't wait!

Good OP, Sir TapTap. I will almost certainly get this tomorrow, but I have got a few games on the go and I have been flitting back and forth.

Does anyone know how much this will be in £s?

So whats the logic behind waiting on a pc release of a game that isn't going to look any better

Unlike the PS4, PC is not tied to a generational cycle. Provided they release this on GOG, I'll be able to play the PC version decades from now on whatever hardware I have at the time. This won't be possible with the PS4 version. As a result, I tend to want good games on the PC so that I can always go back to them if desired.

Brashnir

Unlike the PS4, PC is not tied to a generational cycle. Provided they release this on GOG, I'll be able to play the PC version decades from now on whatever hardware I have at the time. This won't be possible with the PS4 version. As a result, I tend to want good games on the PC so that I can always go back to them if desired.

This. Also my PC's monitor has less display lag than the TV my PS4 is connected to.

That said, I'll probably pick it up on PS4 anyway, and then buy it for a buck on Steam in a couple years during a sale.

Sir TapTap

Honestly it's probably best to pretend PSN update time is the day AFTER it updates. I try not to look before 5 PM Central on day-of, it's usually done by then and I can't play before then anyway. They're pretty inconsistent. I was going to wait for the proper launch to put up my guide but I asked tom if I could just fire it out since I dunno when it'll be up. I'll have a spoiler-free section at the top and a spoiler heavy section at the bottom, including a map of the whole game and (most) item locations. I recommend playing the game on your own before looking, of course.

Good read. I'd call it a spoiler but that boss has been shown several times in assorted previews/reviews at this point. BTW for anyone trying to be spoiler-sensitive when posting stuff, I've noticed that most material they've released stops right at this boss--a fair cutoff IMO though I would personally consider this fight a spoiler too.

Does anyone know how much this will be in £s?

Couldn't find regional pricing for UK.

Oh, I didn't think to use that on the first one.
I ended up using the piercing lightning rifle on the wasp boss then the short-range shotgun blast for the little minions it sent out. I'll have to retry that for the final boss though. I keep getting ganged up on by those three sentries and can't kite them properly. :(

Weapon spoilers:
The Inertial Pulse thing? Huh, I didn't use that thing at all, does it pierce the armor on the wasp? I guess I should try the weapons more, a few I gave up on real fast.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this looks great! I love metroidvania type games, so I'll definitely grab this at some point. I don't have time for it currently with Bloodborne and other games, and I'll probably wait and see how the Vita version turns out as I prefer playing retroish games on portables.

Top Bottom